+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crysis 2

Default Crysis 2

Anyone play it yet for the PC? I've heard it feels mostly like a console game, some say its still good but its missing many features for the PC....Things such as advanced graphics options. Though its good to hear it runs great and we dont have to wait 6 months for new hardware to come out to run the game at max settings. Its just rather dissapointing you get 3 graphics options and there is no advanced option to optimize your performance more....I also hear it doesn't support directx 11, disapointing there, and i hear you cant change the .ini config settings either.

And to top it all off the retail version does not come with the Sandbox editor....I was going to get it but with several missing pc features, it doesn't sound like its worth it yet...rather disappointing but im not really surprised its exactly like the console version
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

The game is great, but most people were expecting it to really push their hardware to the limit like it's predacessor did. It doesn't. The graphics are average, the motion blur is over done to the point of making people car sick, and the only graphic options available are choosing between a couple preset options (low, medium, high, etc. forgot the actual names).

Even at the highest graphical settings, forcing everything to the highest quality at driver level, it only uses 50% of my GPU before being vsync locked at 60fps everywhere.

As far as gameplay goes, in my opinion it's a lot of fun aside from the AI being terrible. My first encounter with an alien which was supposed to be scary involved it sliding in a puddle back and forth over and over as I punched it to death.

Multiplayer remains broken too, as well. Ranked servers will never launch the game and you are forced to play unranked.

It's really just a marketing ploy for hardware companies I believe, as evidenced by Nvidia's "How to build a kickass Crysis 2 computer for under $600" campaign. It really doesn't take much more than that to run the game maxed out, as it's engine is highly optimized albeit lacking customization.

At this point in time, it should come as no surprise that anything with the EA logo on it for PC will just be a halfassed console port.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-24-2011 at 04:13 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Another ******ed consolistic game from EA.

EA has become the Uwe Boll of the game industry but at least Uwe Boll was told eventually to go die in a fire.

Well it appears frostbite 2.0 will the the one engine and graphics to look forward to but i wont get my hopes up since EA owns dice as well...Im fairly certain it will be dumbed down compared to BF2 since they have to make it for consoles as well.

Rather dissapointing really, PCs have been capable of offering next gen for years now...and the original crysis did feel like a next gen game....Graphics arnt everything i know but Crytek was THE company to Set the bar UP high in terms of Graphics and scale. I've heard crysis 2 is quiete linear compared to games like far cry and crysis, its like they went the opposite direction from what they are known for. Hell even today with the realism mod, the original game looks a hell of alot better than any game thats out and the game came out in 2007
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewan View Post
    Well it appears frostbite 2.0 will the the one engine and graphics to look forward to but i wont get my hopes up since EA owns dice as well...Im fairly certain it will be dumbed down compared to BF2 since they have to make it for consoles as well.

Rather dissapointing really, PCs have been capable of offering next gen for years now...and the original crysis did feel like a next gen game....Graphics arnt everything i know but Crytek was THE company to Set the bar UP high in terms of Graphics and scale. I've heard crysis 2 is quiete linear compared to games like far cry and crysis, its like they went the opposite direction from what they are known for. Hell even today with the realism mod, the original game looks a hell of alot better than any game thats out and the game came out in 2007
    The game industry is growing too rapidly and all the heart and soul of the original industry has been sold to corporations. Blizzard is the best example.. they started out in very humble beginnings and were making FUN games, now look at them. All companies are focusing on what will get the most sales, how to appeal to the widest audience now instead of "how can we make this game ****ing awesome".

It's a sad state of affairs, and the only way it will ever go back to the way it used to be is if these corporations fall and the industry as a whole just crashes. Only from such destruction will the true gamers arise to create games that are fun and complex - made by gamers, for gamers. The games coming out now are being forced to be certain ways by people that don't even like video games - all to make more money.

Yes, every company is doing this. Even Bioware - just look at DA2 vs DA:O.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-24-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

The graphics might not be prettier than Crysis or Warhead, but my god...that lighting. The lighting is incredible and makes the game a more enjoyable tour de force to play.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

+ Reply to Thread