+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get into video game design

Shadowlander

Default How to get into video game design

Hello everyone. I'm currently a student at the University of Oklahoma. I've been changing majors a lot for the past couple of years and have come back to deciding that I think I really want to design games. Unfortunately the only computer degree I can see in the degree list is computer science at OU. I was curious what kind of degree I need to find a job in the industry and perhaps some of the best places to get the degree from. Also the degree list for OU is http://www.ou.edu/go2/home/academics.html so maybe I'm just missing a degree that would cover it because it's not listed under computer something. Thanks for your help!

Plane Touched

If I wanted to be a game designer, I'd get a degree in computer science. Games are software; computer scientists design and create software. The added benefit of a computer science degree is that you aren't limited to designing video games. You could also do .Net programming or some other "boring" job to pay the bills until you could land the dream job.

You need talent, not a degree.
    From the gargoyles to stonehenge I have always been here before
    From the sphynx to the pyramids Allowing my mind's call of no love
    To Lucifer's temples praising the devil right Incorporate more never stops his flow
    To the Devil's clock as it strikes midnight I have always been here before

Game design? The key word is design.

You could take some classes for art. Over time create a portfolio of your works, submit it to game companies and hope you have talent because it's extremely competitive and when it comes to art. Talent > a piece of paper saying you paid a school to talk at you.

Unless your talking about coding, which is entirely separate.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-23-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Game design? The key word is design.

You could take some classes for art. Over time create a portfolio of your works, submit it to game companies and hope you have talent because it's extremely competitive and when it comes to art. Talent > a piece of paper saying you paid a school to talk at you.

Unless your talking about coding, which is entirely separate.
    In the real world those "pieces of paper" are worth their weight in osmium.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Coral Fang View Post
    You need talent, not a degree.
    Lawl. Because that is even remotely related to the thread, and all the talent in the world gets you jobs without anything to prove you have the skillset needed.

Having a degree matters more than whether it's a related degree. I do just fine as a programmer with my lovely degree in psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
    Lawl. Because that is even remotely related to the thread, and all the talent in the world gets you jobs without anything to prove you have the skillset needed.
    You will need both, if you dont have a degree, then you will have a hard time to show others or others may not see it that way the way you want it. So if you apply for a job without a degree, the odds is very slim. Having talents is very important, but only if they like it. So better off have talents and the degree to make it work.

Gaming business is a gamble though.
    Good luck,
    Spire

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    In the real world those "pieces of paper" are worth their weight in osmium.
    You'll notice I said for art. You can go to every art class available and still lack any form of the artistic ability required to build the quality portfolio required to be selected in an extremely competitive environment.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    You'll notice I said for art. You can go to every art class available and still lack any form of the artistic ability required to build the quality portfolio required to be selected in an extremely competitive environment.
    Mr. Troll is 100% correct.

Portfolios get people jobs, not degrees. Having both of them helps, but a strong portfolio is 100% more valuable than a weak portfolio and a BA.

Some schools with decent programs:
    http://www.academyart.edu/
    www.fullsail.edu
    www.aipx.edu

All 3 have really great programs and some very successful people from them are working in the gaming industry now.
    Last edited by Ixath; 03-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Shadowlander

I thought I would clarify myself...I'm not artistic at all so I was hoping to get into the programming side or perhaps the maintenance side or helping to run the servers etc.

+ Reply to Thread