Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Age of Conan

  1. #1
    Telaran Ongikami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My dumpster
    Posts
    72

    Default Age of Conan

    So ive been thinking about trying this game out again (i was very much disappointed about the state of the game @ release), so i wondered if there was someone out there who still plays this game, and your meaning of the games current state compared to the state of the game when it was released

    Anyway cheers
    - Keep the beast inside, Shackled within my hide, Screaming out too late, Losing to my hate.

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Ianb4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the internet
    Posts
    370

    Default

    dying- it never really recovered- funcom dropped the ball and never picked it up- it will probably end up going free to play soon.

    I stopped after the first free month - went back some months later and played for a few months but then they nerfed the hell out of priests and made them completely useless considering the way healing works -so it became pointless to continue so i quit and never been back- heard them mention once that it might go free to play but nothing been updated about that- but I for one will never go back.

    they have a tenancy not to listen to their customers at all- They even advertised an event once- we all went to conan's castle waiting for this so called "event" and all that popped up was a table with a vendor selling some drinks- was the biggest con ever! Soooo many people where angry and upset over this-the 1 year aniversary event -was a big joke and a complete let down by funcom.

    So yeah i advise staying away- stick with this- trion have the perfect opportunity to balance this game and get it right- the market is ripe for them!
    Last edited by Ianb4all; 03-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    it means whatever just happened is worse than an "error #2000" but not as bad as an "error #2002"?
    Huh?

  3. #3
    Telaran Ongikami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My dumpster
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Hmmm you are probably right, i just want to believe that the game is still good, because it was/is "different" (with the adult theme and the lore is awesome, I've read the books, heck even the combat system felt awesome) but i guess i will stay with RIFT for another month to see where it goes
    - Keep the beast inside, Shackled within my hide, Screaming out too late, Losing to my hate.

  4. #4
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    802

    Default

    i played AoC 4 month's ago.

    they add meaningful stats, ?? lol your stats on gear makes you more powerful now, i did not really like this.
    after release of God slayer, they add some nice new content, like the AA tree.
    ranged still overrule Melee, +- in PvP. like most games, not a lot of CC tho.
    ahh God Slayer content is very based on tokens (and very gridy) to get something epic.
    some of the god slayer dungeons are so difficult not you most likely never see the content, same go's for T3 raiding/T4 Raiding.

    T1, you can do with your eyes closed.
    last time i read Director Update, they almost complete with the "new Engine" something called dreamstate or whatever.

    basically that's it.

  5. #5
    tau
    tau is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Leveling is ez mode. Expansion content is super grindy. It's also asian themed which i'm not particularly into personally. Pvp levels were gained by gathering mats. People on pvp servers transferred to pve servers to max out pvp levels.

    Graphics are still the best of any mmo, but you still need a beefy machine even by today's standards.

  6. #6
    tau
    tau is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Double post
    Last edited by tau; 03-23-2011 at 04:20 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianb4all View Post
    dying- it never really recovered- funcom dropped the ball and never picked it up- it will probably end up going free to play soon.

    I stopped after the first free month - went back some months later and played for a few months but then they nerfed the hell out of priests and made them completely useless considering the way healing works -so it became pointless to continue so i quit and never been back- heard them mention once that it might go free to play but nothing been updated about that- but I for one will never go back.

    they have a tenancy not to listen to their customers at all- They even advertised an event once- we all went to conan's castle waiting for this so called "event" and all that popped up was a table with a vendor selling some drinks- was the biggest con ever! Soooo many people where angry and upset over this-the 1 year aniversary event -was a big joke and a complete let down by funcom.

    So yeah i advise staying away- stick with this- trion have the perfect opportunity to balance this game and get it right- the market is ripe for them!

    It's already free to play. I tried it and uninstalled within 10 minutes. Also the graphics are terrible, not sure what tau is smoking.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-23-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  8. #8
    Telaran Cosdem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    It's already free to play. I tried it and uninstalled within 10 minutes. Also the graphics are terrible, not sure what tau is smoking.
    your name...

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Viper2KRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I played this game for about 2 months during last fall. It's a solid game. The audio and visual quality is stunning. Everyone talks about the graphics which are amazing for sure but my favorite part was the soundtrack. It was brilliant, especially in Cimmeria. In fact, I miss this game from time to time simply because of the music lol.

    The combat is also neat. I played a conqueror which was a pure melee class and it was a lot of fun. The combos make combat more interesting and the fatalities are brutal. There's lots of quests to help you level and overall the game has a lot of content. I honestly did not experience many bugs during my time playing. Really nothing game breaking, though I will say I did not PvP once. I played on Wicanna (a PvE server) and there was actually a lot of people still playing. Mostly friendly and helpful too. Didn't take me long to find a nice guild to roll with for a while. Building a city with them is definitely an interesting experience.

    One thing I didn't like was the crafting. Because there were separate zones purely for crafting and building cities that part of the game felt like an afterthought. You also can't even begin crafting until level 30 or 40, something like that.

    I guess the last thing I'll say is that if you like well-developed lore in a very interesting and well-conceived world you should at least check out the tutorial. The narrative in the game is great and in fact that's the reason I played it for as long as I did. I get bored with games if I don't have RL friends playing with me and I could never convince my friends to give it a shot. Might be bringing some people into Rift soon though. =)

    Cheers
    Last edited by Viper2KRT; 03-23-2011 at 04:52 AM.

  10. #10
    Telaran Cosdem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ongikami View Post
    So ive been thinking about trying this game out again (i was very much disappointed about the state of the game @ release), so i wondered if there was someone out there who still plays this game, and your meaning of the games current state compared to the state of the game when it was released

    Anyway cheers
    AoC has by far the best gameplay, combat system, graphics, animations (fatalities are just great, playing this game just for the fatalities is is just enough.) and the best music you ever listen at any game.
    The only reason i left is because of the lack of pvp content.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker Sawo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosdem View Post
    AoC has by far the best gameplay, combat system, graphics, animations (fatalities are just great, playing this game just for the fatalities is is just enough.) and the best music you ever listen at any game.
    The only reason i left is because of the lack of pvp content.
    True!

    I quit because I beta tested it nearly a year... so I was kind of bored after launch. But fatalities goes in to category "Howl Laught".

    I dont know what PvP is now a days, but right at start, in PvP servers it was wild. I especially loved the factor, that everyone was "red" untill you teamed up, so careless swinging did damage to allies too.

    I still love this clip... did it and was killed by it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

  12. #12
    General of Telara Azendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Internet is just a trend
    Posts
    854

    Default

    I won't return unless it goes F2P. I will resub when it does go F2P though. I love the game, community is dead - sadly. Otherwise I'd stayed.
    Azendi /Sol.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched DoozerJun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    It really is just lacking in population. It's a very good game, as far as mmos go, but the low population make for a single player experience. It never recovered from the launch it had. It has great graphics, animations, combat (purely on preference, some hate the combat), sounds, and visuals. Questing is standard fair although they do well to make them fit the world. It has a good atmosphere as I think they captured the feel of Conan well (other than the overabundance of magic).

    Again, though, the low population kills it for me. I wish it had more people playing as I would still be there if it was healthy.
    Last edited by DoozerJun; 03-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander Embs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    The new game engine was just put in live servers few weeks ago. I have to say the Graphics are now even better than they were. I played AoC since Beta 2008 to December 2010. Mainly quitted the game because lack of PVP content and all my friends had left more or less. Maybe one day if it goes free to play gonna have PVP over there from time to time. I will probably check out also the HC PVP server that they created with the new rulesets

    I also disliked how Funcom treated the customers and game out empty promises.

  15. #15
    Asst. Community Manager Walsingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,245

    Default

    Hi everyone,

    We understand that some degree of compare and constrast discussion is inevitable when discussing games, and we're okay with that as long as they are constructive, but please keep in mind that these are the official Rift forums. As such, we do expect discussions to be about Rift, not other games.

    We have closed this thread. If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

    Thank you!

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts