+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss EQ enchanters...

Soulwalker

Default I miss EQ enchanters...

My favorite class in EQ (before it was nerfed) was the enchanter. Basically, they were the other third of the trinity of tank, cleric, and crowd control. Dps was just the three blokes you brought along to speed things up. Enchanters locked down a room and you killed at your own speed. Also kept that mana flowing.

Tanks peeled basically though taunt was a crap shoot. And we had a good time. Tanks weren't impossible to find nor clerics. You announced your mezzed targets and no one messed with em. One thing was because it could easily wipe the group and EQ was very unforgiving on needless deaths. No one willing jumped off cliffs for achievements like games do now.

That's one class I've never seen remake an appearance... even in EQ now. None can just lock down everything nor keep that one target down till ready for it. People hit the CC targets regardless now so its just about pointless to even use it. And we did that without timers.

Also... about this PvP vs PvE debate, first game I played, everyone took one class if they wanted to PvP (was in Neverwinter Nights and you played a cleric/mage) so it never made sense to me that all classes should be viable in PvP. Its almost like saying a soldier shouldn't fight better than a mechanic in real life. You want to PvP and you think warriors are OP then everyone who PvPs play warriors. Balance issues solved. Don't want to play a warrior, don't cry about PvP then.

Just my thoughts and wishes.

Telaran

whilst i never played a chanter in EQ, tons of goodmemories and mechanics from that game, i always had admiration for them for how they could keep a room locked down like you guys did.

I miss my Enchanter also, still the most fun class I have ever played. Would love to see something like it again someday

Soulwalker

Never played an enchanter in EQ. I was a Shaman (a class I SORELY miss and no game has reproduced right since). I had mad respect for the enchanters that could lock down an entire room and keep it that way. Like any class you had your good players and bad players. The good ones instantly made it to my friends list.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruine View Post
    My favorite class in EQ (before it was nerfed) was the enchanter.
    Dito.
    When I saw that Rift had a Dominator soul, I was sold.

Alas, that soul is cut metadone compared to "real" enchanters.
    A dominator can only CC a single target reliably.
    In my world, a single target is not a crowd.

Just try your AE mes on 8 mobs. What exactly are you planning to do when it wears off and is on cooldown for 30sec? Die?
    I suppose you could cast the spell, then always log out immediately to clear aggro.
    Seems awkward but this seems to be the intention, the way the spell is set up.

Until "single squirrel" becomes usable on more than one target (increasing casting time being the most obvious handicap), the class won't be a CC class.

I still remember that one day in Sebilis (still in Kunark era) when we got a pull of 15 frogs. Everyone thought I was crazy when I vetoed the evac. We won. =P
    And yes, that was without visible debuff timers or any of the newfangled UI doodads...
    Last edited by Panduss; 03-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

Soulwalker

Alas, that soul is cut metadone compared to "real" enchanters.
    A dominator can only CC a single target reliably.
    In my world, a single target is not a crowd.
    30 seconds that can't be resisted is really reliable, basically gives you 30 seconds to freely kill each pack you encounter. Also how can you not call it a cc class when the character can cast aoe silence, aoe spell reflect, several aoe slows, aoe mes and a heap of single target removers/weakeners.

Also you can permanently cc 2 mobs, he have so many different removers that it is possible even though just transmogrify can by itself remove something permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panduss View Post
    Just try your AE mes on 8 mobs. What exactly are you planning to do when it wears off and is on cooldown for 30sec? Die?
    The 30 seconds should be enough for you to kill at least 3-4 of those mobs so when they wake up they are a manageable group of four rather than the initial potential group killing horde.

Also no, you can't have a class that trivialize all the normal instance pulls but is useless against bosses.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Thruine View Post
    That's one class I've never seen remake an appearance... even in EQ now. None can just lock down everything nor keep that one target down till ready for it. People hit the CC targets regardless now so its just about pointless to even use it.
    City of Heroes Controller.

Where most people consider the 16 target 18 second duration (enhanceable to 36) AoE sleep in the Earth and Ice sets one to skip because you've got better control powers you should be taking.

Soulwalker

I too miss my Enchanter. Played in PvP on Sullon Zek and while I didn't get many kills, Rapture was my friend. That was real CC when CC was actually worth something, when one trash mob could stomp a raid let alone 3 or 4. I don't call silence and debuffs CC. I wan't to be able to lock down a room till everything is dead...it wasn't OP or made anything too easy, it made it just doable.

While I miss enchanters, I fully realise that you cannot implement them 100 % in Rift.

EQ is a totally different game. It uses longer cast times on everything and generally is a game where planning, tactics and class interdependance wins over clicking faster.
    As an example, the Complete Heal spell has a 10 sec casting time. 10 seconds during which the healer can do nothing else and won't be healing a single point. You learn to plan ahead.
    Rift is a clickzerg fest in comparison where mobs do in fact die in 10-15 sec.

Multi-target Mes (Mesmerise - the EQ equivalent of Transmogrify) does not automatically trivialise content.
    For an example lets say, the cast time increases by 4 seconds for every mob currently squirreled.
    A small group could survive in content that was designed for 1-2 more players. They could play there and have fun.
    With the domintor spending an exorbitant casting time on these spells, his damage output will be trivial.
    While the small group could survive there and slowly grind it's way through, it would take so long that calling this trivialising is ridiculous.

A larger group cutting through this content and having the firepower to AE it without dieing would have a much easier time.

EQ Enchanters are not powerful by themselves. They are tricksters, letting groups attempt feats of strength where they would normally be in over their heads.
    And still - this does not automatically make things easier. An enchanter is only good as part of a very good group... or he's roadkill. It takes... discipline... to pull this off.
    Very good groups will always trivialise every content. Chanter or not.

Sure, a chanter in a bad group can play it safe and hold back to the level of a Rift dominator. Often that's the only way for him to survive.
    That would be the equivalent of a warrior reducing his contribution to auto-attack.
    Possible but not ideal.

Dominators have silence and mana drain and so do EQ chanters in some shape or form.
    Those are curiosity spells that may be useful on some raid bosses (where they typically end up being disabled...) but for normal PVE content, which group would want to take the time to stand around while the dominator manadrains the healer mob...?
    These spells can hardly be counted as part of the mainstay arsenal.

Dominators have all these "neat but useless most of the time" spells.
    All I'm asking for is a better means for CC which would be useful much more often and make a dominator a desireable soul in a normal group.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

Shield of Telara

I played an endgame bard in EQ for many years, and I thoroughly appreciated the job Chanters did. When the game was first released on up through the first 2 expansions, you never went anywhere without a Chanter. Being a bard, we could emulate their abilities to a lesser degree, but you had to be on the ball! When our mez only lasts 9 seconds, and it takes 3 seconds to cast mez, it made for some hairy retargeting and button mashing.

SO MUCH FUN! With a chanter, it was so much easier, and it's why EQ still holds a special place in my heart. They did so many classes so well in the first few years, and they refused to bow down to the player base because they were really the only game in town, and by far the best. WoW just made MMO's easier, and people jumped ship, where as EQ was rough and tumble and difficult all the way through, nothing came easy and death was very unforgiving with XP loss.

Would I go back? Like the saying goes: You can never go home. I hold very fond memories of the game, but with 12 or 13 expansions now, the game has grown into a cumbersome monster of minutiae and factions. I'd gladly play if they had a server that just had the first 2 expansions, up through Velious, there was plenty to do and accomplish, Shadows of Luclin really brought the game down a few notches. The endless, silly camping for shards for the Emp key was truly laborious, people do not realize what it took to get the Key, how many hours and how it truly turned into a second job, and that's not even an exaggeration. Planes Of Power kind of brought it back, but it just went downhill with the rest of the expansions. Since there won't ever be a 'classic' setup of just those 2 expansions, I'd never go back.

But, yes, there are many things I do miss from EQ, and I hope someday to look back on Rift with the same endearing mindset. WoW wasn't so much fun as it was something everyone did, and it really was easy in comparison to EQ. People that didn't play EQ really have no idea how challenging it really was.

(edited for typos, too early in the morning to form cohesive thoughts and expect to type correctly.)
    Last edited by joen00b; 03-23-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    That's exactly what a hacker would say...

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by joen00b View Post
    people do not realize what it took to get the Key, how many hours and how it truly turned into a second job, and that's not even an exaggeration.
    Oh, I realise, i really do

Shield of Telara

I just checked, out of curiosity, and EQ has 17 freaking expansions now. Holy schnikes!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drifyt View Post
    Oh, I realise, i really do
    Then we know the pain and horror together, you are not alone :P

Telaran

Yep they do amazing huh. they bring one out approx every 6 months or so. Its a small dev team but they still have the numbers to warrant it.

I played a Ranger(main and my favorite class for MMO's), SK and Wizard in EQ1 on the Zeb server and chanters were a great asset to have in any group. I remember the days of people asking for Breeze and KEI in the zones if they knew chanters were around. lol It would be nice to see the class implemented again in MMO's in the EQ1 format...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast