+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79

Thread: To all 50s who say they are quitting...

  1. #31
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remyy View Post
    Why do you assume these are all empty threats? People WILL go back to their previous MMOs because they are unhappy with the game. Every game has that. I don't know how you can say that every single person posting has some elaborate scheme to get Trion to change things. A lot of them are probably just venting their frustration.
    I'm not saying "everyone" you have not been reading what I posted. I have been specifically talking about people who are stating they are "bored" or "sick" of rift at 50. Here are people who played the game long enough to get to 50 first of all, second they are complaining about not having enough endgame content, and thirdly and most importantly they are bored or sick of the game after only a couple weeks of launch (a little bit longer if they were in headstart).

    Regardless, the legitimate people who left the game and went back to their prior MMO first of all dont get to level 50 that fast, secondly they dont go threw the trouble of creating forum posts to vent about their boring experience. They simply switch back to their old game.

    You are ignorant if you think these are legitimate claims about the game being bored if you don't see the rest of the signs. I'm sorry but it's true.

  2. #32
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    yea it was first, therefore these whinging lil kids are godmode there and can faceroll their queues for their cookiecutter macro pvp

    unlike here, which takes time(ADD) and practice(unable to grasp any new concept) and effort(LAZY) and patience(center of the universe complex)

    i dont blame the wowfanbois here, i blame thier parents for letting them sit in front of a pc and be educated by a community with zero etiquette


    rift IS a better game, its just so many have sunk so much time and so much money into that old game, its hard to let it go. so they rage at what makes them angry.


    opinions are like *******s, everyone has one
    I'm thinking in the future you probably shouldn't try to be an advocate for this community if that's how you feel, because you just came off as exactly the kind of character you're trying to assassinate.

    The only angry people in this thread are the Rift diehards that cannot accept any criticism of their game. Blind devotion is always bad.


    Diehard fans of any other won't have even bought this game to try it; they don't want to find out if there's something better for exactly the reasons you stated: they don't want to let go of what they have in that game. But they aren't here. I think it's safe to say that anyone that bought Rift was hoping to stay - few gamers are going to drop $50 and play 60+ hours of something just so they can say it's not as good as the other game they play.
    Last edited by Yonder; 03-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.

  3. #33
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
    I didn't say Rift is boring. I'm having a nice time. I'm also only level 35. I have no agenda other than to comment on my observations about the game.

    For as little as I play, I'm alarmed to be so far along. The game has a very short leveling curve because there isn't enough gameworld to support a long leveling curve without excessive grinding. Unfortunately, the game also has less replayability than any other title I've ever played, both because the world is linear and small and because the soul system has largely done away with the use of having a lot of characters.

    That doesn't make it a bad game, it just makes it one that I won't subscribe to continuously. I check back on my non-A-list MMOs now and then to see where they are and subscribe for a month, so I'm sure I'll be back at some point. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    Rift launched with more than WoW did in 2004, it's just that people have become spoiled with a MMO that has incrementally gained content in the past 7 years.

    The Rift system has a lot of potential for replayability in the future - I'm anxious to see what Trion does with it. As far as your repeated "A-list" attacks, Rift is just as much an "A-List" MMO as WoW is. If you think Rift is less than A-list then you must have not played WoW at release in 2004 as there was no raid UI at all. No instance maps. Very weak quest tracker. No scrolling combat text. Two level 60 instances and 1 raid boss that was beyond hope of attempting without an incredible amount of fire resist. No battlegrounds. No PvP awards. No badge/point system in either mode of play. No heroic instances. No dailies and certainly no quest helper.

    Oh yeah, and absolutely no layout editor.

    According to the specifications you are requiring of Rift, WoW would have been at most, a C-List MMO at it's release.

  4. #34
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
    I didn't say Rift is boring. I'm having a nice time. I'm also only level 35. I have no agenda other than to comment on my observations about the game.

    For as little as I play, I'm alarmed to be so far along. The game has a very short leveling curve because there isn't enough gameworld to support a long leveling curve without excessive grinding. Unfortunately, the game also has less replayability than any other title I've ever played, both because the world is linear and small and because the soul system has largely done away with the use of having a lot of characters.

    That doesn't make it a bad game, it just makes it one that I won't subscribe to continuously. I check back on my non-A-list MMOs now and then to see where they are and subscribe for a month, so I'm sure I'll be back at some point. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    Well if you have played MMO's long enough then you realize that the MMO genre is evolving. EQ set the standard for MMOs with its intense grinding for levels, etc... WoW came along and improved the experience albeit not completely as the level grind was still pretty long. Trion came along and stated they didn't want a heavy grind to endgame they didn't want the focus to be their. Its an ever evolving genre. Don't mistake that evolution for a mediocre game.

    I suppose when WoW came out their were people just like you who said WoW wouldn't be an A grade MMO because the penalty for death was to easy compared to EQ. Always have your critics...

  5. #35
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    Well if you have played MMO's long enough then you realize that the MMO genre is evolving. EQ set the standard for MMOs with its intense grinding for levels, etc... WoW came along and improved the experience albeit not completely as the level grind was still pretty long. Trion came along and stated they didn't want a heavy grind to endgame they didn't want the focus to be their. Its an ever evolving genre. Don't mistake that evolution for a mediocre game.

    I suppose when WoW came out their were people just like you who said WoW wouldn't be an A grade MMO because the penalty for death was to easy compared to EQ. Always have your critics...
    Yes, there were plenty of naysayers about the lack of experience loss on death in WoW at release. It was also a very new concept for a MMO to be... gasp... solable to max level. This caused quite the stir in the genre.

  6. #36
    General of Telara Sunspots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Not everyone has to like a video game...or a book, or a movie. At the end of the day its personal taste. I for one will be happy when the free sub is over and those staying can work on making Rift a better home, and those leaving can go back to whatever makes them happy.

  7. #37
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    Well if you have played MMO's long enough then you realize that the MMO genre is evolving. EQ set the standard for MMOs with its intense grinding for levels, etc... WoW came along and improved the experience albeit not completely as the level grind was still pretty long. Trion came along and stated they didn't want a heavy grind to endgame they didn't want the focus to be their. Its an ever evolving genre. Don't mistake that evolution for a mediocre game.

    I suppose when WoW came out their were people just like you who said WoW wouldn't be an A grade MMO because the penalty for death was to easy compared to EQ. Always have your critics...
    I said no such thing.

    Change isn't always evolution.

    I would have no issue with Rift's leveling curve if:

    1. There was so much to do at level 50 that the game really only started there,

    OR

    2. The game had a lot of replayability so that if one character hit 50 there were still tons of other races, other starting areas, other low level zones, etc. that you hadn't played yet.

    I'm not criticizing the game for not having a lot of level 50 content; it's unlikely I'll ever raid in a serious way in an MMO ever again anyway. I'm criticizing the game for being tiny. 2 leveling paths. 4 classes.

    In every other MMO title that I've enjoyed, I was always wanting to roll new characters to check out their starting areas and the surrounding zones that I'd never seen as the races or classes I had played before. In this game, once you've played each faction to about level 20, the idea of playing the starting areas or Silverwood/Freemarch again is enough to keep you from even rolling another character.

    Explain to me how that is evolution.

  8. #38
    Ascendant batou079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    gramma's house
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    i still dont get why ppl rush to endgame content of a new game, claim boredom, leave the game and then bash the game cause they got bored...

    lol, so they just assume 6+ years of gaming content was created the day WoW was released right?
    just like every MMO in existance... RIIIIGHT? oh wait...

    i agree with OP, but i dont agree it needed its own thread. QQ thread bout QQ'ers, the circle continues.
    oh wait, i dont agree with my post/bumping this useless thread either. haha, i dont agree with ANYONE DAMNIT!! i need more sugar...

    Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

    Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

  9. #39
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
    I said no such thing.

    Change isn't always evolution.

    I would have no issue with Rift's leveling curve if:

    1. There was so much to do at level 50 that the game really only started there,

    OR

    2. The game had a lot of replayability so that if one character hit 50 there were still tons of other races, other starting areas, other low level zones, etc. that you hadn't played yet.

    I'm not criticizing the game for not having a lot of level 50 content; it's unlikely I'll ever raid in a serious way in an MMO ever again anyway. I'm criticizing the game for being tiny. 2 leveling paths. 4 classes.

    In every other MMO title that I've enjoyed, I was always wanting to roll new characters to check out their starting areas and the surrounding zones that I'd never seen as the races or classes I had played before. In this game, once you've played each faction to about level 20, the idea of playing the starting areas or Silverwood/Freemarch again is enough to keep you from even rolling another character.

    Explain to me how that is evolution.
    I'd far rather have a linear experience than have half a dozen areas that really do not feel "completed". Sure WoW has multiple starting areas, but how many players leveling a new alt do not just make a beeline straight over to Ghostlands for the better experience and rewards?

    A few and fully finished choices are better than many, unfinished ones in my opinion.

    Now, regarding the classes - there is nothing that says your "main" character must possess all four roles or even attain all 8 souls. If you want to engineer some replayability, you can certainly limit your first Warrior to tanking souls, than a second warrior (of a different race) to 3 DPS souls. There - you have two completely distinct characters.

    Personally, one of the things that I like about Rift so far is the ability for my cleric to be versatile and eliminate the need for me to roll alts at all. I may eventually end up with more than this cleric at 50, but I would rather have one character that has completed as much as possible (I enjoy collecting things) than have wasted my time on 6 other alts like I did in WoW.

    At this stage in my life (almost 35) - I appreciate a game developer that isn't trying to rule over me and impress upon me that I must invest my every waking moment in the game or fall behind. I hail as a once hardcore raider in EQ and WoW. Like you - I doubt that I will ever pointedly participate in raid content in an MMO again - the perfect MMO in my mind would have no raid content at all.

    ...that said, collectibles are my kryptonite.
    Last edited by Raeln; 03-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.

  10. #40
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Rift launched with more than WoW did in 2004, it's just that people have become spoiled with a MMO that has incrementally gained content in the past 7 years.
    Why do you insist on such a preferential and baseless comparison? The only thing that matters to a gamer, to a customer, is what the choices on the market are right now. Standards rise and new products have to meet them; it's a shame people become spoiled with higher expectations, isn't it?

    When you buy a novel and expect 500 pages of story, then discover it only has a hundred pages' worth and the remaining 400 are empty, your expectations have been betrayed and you feel rightly disappointed. Maybe the author never claimed it was a 500 page story, maybe you could've browsed through the book to see it wasn't, but you had no reason to suspect that was the case. It, was, afterall, only natural to expect a new book with 500 pages to have a story to fill those pages.

    Analogies side, I didn't play WoW much and I'm not sure it's even much to aspire to. What's more, I haven't even reached endgame in Rift and I didn't come here to pass judgment on whether Rift is the equivalent of a 100 pages of story in a 500 page novel. But many seem to think so, and it's certainly a possibility. But most importantly, any game should be held to the standards of its time, as any product is. To not do so is nothing but transparent apologism.

  11. #41
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shmn View Post
    Why do you insist on such a preferential and baseless comparison? The only thing that matters to a gamer, to a customer, is what the choices on the market are right now. Standards rise and new products have to meet them; it's a shame people become spoiled with higher expectations, isn't it?

    When you buy a novel and expect 500 pages of story, then discover it only has a hundred pages' worth and the remaining 400 are empty, your expectations have been betrayed and you feel rightly disappointed. Maybe the author never claimed it was a 500 page story, maybe you could've browsed through the book to see it wasn't, but you had no reason to suspect that was the case. It, was, afterall, only natural to expect a new book with 500 pages to have a story to fill those pages.

    Analogies side, I didn't play WoW much and I'm not sure it's even much to aspire to. What's more, I haven't even reached endgame in Rift and I didn't come here to pass judgment on whether Rift is the equivalent of a 100 pages of story in a 500 page novel. But many seem to think so, and it's certainly a possibility. But most importantly, any game should be held to the standards of its time, as any product is. To not do so is nothing but transparent apologism.
    Insignificant.

    We paid $50 for a brand new MMO.

    On December 7, I paid $40 for less content than this when I bought the Cataclysm expansion. What is worse is I played most of that expansion content (the retouched world) before the expansion even rolled out. What I really paid $40 for was like 5 zones that covered 5 levels, around 7 instances and 3 raids that I didn't even reach before my friends went inactive.

    You expect Rift to launch with the same amount of content as a MMO that is on their 3rd expansion? That's the equivalent of at least $200 in content purchases - and you want this wrapped up in a $50 initial purchase?

    You have to be reasonable. I imagine it would blow your mind if you found out what Trion has spent in development costs to get the game to the point that it is right now. Keep in mind, Rift in it's current state is offering a healthy 50% more to their players than WoW did in November 24, 2004 (their release date).

  12. #42
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle Jump on it!
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Insignificant.

    We paid $50 for a brand new MMO.

    On December 7, I paid $40 for less content than this when I bought the Cataclysm expansion. What is worse is I played most of that expansion content (the retouched world) before the expansion even rolled out. What I really paid $40 for was like 5 zones that covered 5 levels, around 7 instances and 3 raids that I didn't even reach before my friends went inactive.

    You expect Rift to launch with the same amount of content as a MMO that is on their 3rd expansion? That's the equivalent of at least $200 in content purchases - and you want this wrapped up in a $50 initial purchase?

    You have to be reasonable. I imagine it would blow your mind if you found out what Trion has spent in development costs to get the game to the point that it is right now. Keep in mind, Rift in it's current state is offering a healthy 50% more to their players than WoW did in November 24, 2004 (their release date).
    Rift has less content than tbc or wotlk had, let alone vanilla wow.

    It's really no surprise people are getting bored at 50 and leaving already, I predicted the game would be like this after playing beta.
    Last edited by dinhosaur; 03-22-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    True skill comes without effort

  13. #43
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    Rift has less content than tbc or wotlk had, let alone vanilla wow.

    It's really no surprise people are getting bored at 50 and leaving already, I predicted the game would be like this after playing beta.
    I just do not believe that.

    Vanilla was extremely unfinished when it released. There was not even any raid UI elements in the default UI for months after release. Raiders had to resort to 3rd party addons for healers to even see other groups in the raid.

    It was a huge ordeal for months, especially for anyone that had to heal or remove debuffs.

  14. #44
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle Jump on it!
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    I just do not believe that.

    Vanilla was extremely unfinished when it released. There was not even any raid UI elements in the default UI for months after release. Raiders had to resort to 3rd party addons for healers to even see other groups in the raid.

    It was a huge ordeal for months, especially for anyone that had to heal or remove debuffs.
    You mean it was like the old days? Where each group had to be organized to have it's own dedicated healers?

    Vanilla had way more zones and content, rift is very linear and there isn't much variation on how to progress.
    True skill comes without effort

  15. #45
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    I'm not saying "everyone" you have not been reading what I posted. I have been specifically talking about people who are stating they are "bored" or "sick" of rift at 50. Here are people who played the game long enough to get to 50 first of all
    People will continue to play a game they are bored with if they haven't reached the max level. MMOs are all about end game content to a lot of players. They will suffer the leveling if the reward is good enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    second they are complaining about not having enough endgame content
    Yes.. that's what this thread has turned into.. where is your point

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    and thirdly and most importantly they are bored or sick of the game after only a couple weeks of launch (a little bit longer if they were in headstart).
    Again.. what is your point. You're listing these like they are points in favour of your argument, but they mean nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    Regardless, the legitimate people who left the game and went back to their prior MMO first of all dont get to level 50 that fast
    Yes, they do. The ones that have left RIFT are the ones that got to 50 the FASTEST. Are you really this oblivious? They are the more dedicated gamers that expected more end-game content, and because there isn't, they are leaving. (I am honestly dumbfounded you didn't already understand this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    secondly they dont go threw the trouble of creating forum posts to vent about their boring experience. They simply switch back to their old game.
    Maybe your only worthwhile point. I agree most that leave probably said "**** this game" and never even thought about making a forum post knowing it wouldn't make a difference. However you're always going to get those that feel like they should let everyone know they are leaving. I feel like you would definitely be one of those people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
    You are ignorant if you think these are legitimate claims about the game being bored if you don't see the rest of the signs. I'm sorry but it's true.
    Do you think just because you don't find the game boring, no one else can? People ARE bored. Hell you have even said people are bored, so you're flat out contradicting yourself. Your original argument is that people ARE bored but they won't be leaving, they will stick around. Now you're saying that they aren't.



    The sad thing is is that your side of the argument here could actually have some solid points, but you're bringing nothing to the table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts