+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The gamer and his ego....

Prophet of Telara

Default The gamer and his ego....

Do you ever wonder why mediocre gamers develop egos over games like League of Legends, or Rift, or WoW... instead of games that take skill like brood war, quake1/quake3, and to a lesser extent sc2?

It makes me weep when people don't realize that topping a dps meter in ICE CROWN doesn't put you on par with Julyzerg.
    True skill comes without effort

egoism... I own most of it!

Soulwalker

My gaming ego is virtually non existent, maybe because i play them for fun, not to validate my self worth. I mean sure, i'll try and get the best spec/items for my character if im playing an MMO, but not to own nubs, just to be as effective as i can.

If my ego comes out in any games, its definitely Online shooters like BC2 or Tf2, monday night combat ect...just feels good to get the best K/d ratio or most kills in a game like that. But anyone who doesn't know there will always be someone better shouldn't really play competitive online games, from my experience most of the players who rage and/or rage quit are the ones who think they are pro, and get owned fairly hard.

But i do agree, nothing more annoying then someone who plays a very, very easy to comprehend game like Wow, rift ect and thinks they are godlike champions who can own all nubs with a single breath.

And HIS ego? o:
    Pfft. I have met many arrogant and cocky female gamers.
    Thunderkat (65) - Tekay (65) - Pfifer (65) - Visionary (65) - Rhailo (65)

<Bounty>'s GL - NA chillest.

Wait, you're saying SC2 doesn't have egos? Have you been living on the moon, lately? I loathe the multiplayer aspect of SC2 simply because of players with an over inflated ego.
    "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

I've never considered people who play games purely to sate their competitive streaks as true gamers. To me, gaming is about fun first and foremost. It's also pretty silly to try and claim one genre of games is harder than another. Personally I'd say FPS require very little skill beyond mindlessly shooting at anything that pops up on the screen, but as I'm not familiar with the genre I won't go so far as to say that. On the other hand, I'd suspect anyone claiming hardcore raiding in an MMO as 'easy' as deluded - it takes a fair amount of skill to work alongside nine or twenty four other people at the best of times, more so when under pressure.
    Last edited by Solbranthius; 03-22-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Solbranthius View Post
    Personally I'd say FPS require very little skill beyond mindlessly shooting at anything that pops up on the screen, but as I'm not familiar with the genre I won't go so far as to say that.
    Depends on the game, but shooters can be very skill dependent. It's about aim, reflexes, choosing the right weapon for the right situation, pre-empting, knowing the maps, knowing how the enemies play the map, adapting to the situation, getting to weapons and powerups at the right time, special jumps and efficient movement through maps, etc. There's a lot that goes into it in games such as Q1/2/3, UT, TF2 etc. Differences in skill are also very much visible even between good players. Then again obviously there are games with less strategic element that you can be more effective at just semi-mindlessly shooting around.

Ascendant

It's more adrenaline than ego for me. Put me in a round of BF2 with some classic Metallica in my ears and whoo boy do I get a high!

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Fantastic View Post
    And HIS ego? o:
    Pfft. I have met many arrogant and cocky female gamers.
    Of course there are cocky female gamers, they just aren't as common because in general there are less female gamers, and less testosterone hehe.

But in general i've never met a female gamer that perpetuated that "in-yo-face-pwn-u-bwen" mentality.

I just find it all a bit silly but in some ways fascinating when people don't really understand the scope of their skill, or the context in which they are "winning" and glorify it all.
    True skill comes without effort

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    Of course there are cocky female gamers
    chicks with diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks!

Oh I'm all kinds of cocky; just not about the game. ;D

I always viewed the egoism and one-upmanship as a healthy dimension to the sports and competitive gaming mindset. As long as there exists some degree of individual humility (that need not be outwardly expressed), I find no harm in it.
    Last edited by Schmoopies; 03-23-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.

I recently got quake 3 for the XLA. It's great fun. Memories <3

It's incredible how much longer a game LASTS if it doesn't have all this "upgrade armour/weapons/face/etc". That just makes it a grind and removes all the fun in the game, whereas a standalone FPS is there for the sole fun of kicking *** (or having it kicked).
    Last edited by Azendi; 03-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    Azendi /Sol.

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    ... instead of games that take skill like brood war, quake1/quake3, and to a lesser extent sc2?
    Right there, I was with you till right there. That is the point where you pretty much invalidated everything you wanted to say by inserting your own ego into the argument.

Sorry, but I find your troll weak and unoriginal.

"You have to consider the possibility that the Gods do not like you. They never wanted you. In all probability, they hate you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

"It isn't?"

"No, we don't need them!"

Not everything is a troll. It's just as likely that he slipped up.

my egopeen is bigger than your egopeen.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast