+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Missing In Todays MMORPG

Default What's Missing In Todays MMORPG

Yes folks for me it's the big C word, community, that's what's missing. Anyone who knows anything about today's mmorpg will notice that the community aspect has gone out of the window and now we have a single player mmorpg with auction house and chat box facility's.

Now, from what i have seen on these forums in my long time of being here(20 minutes) their are quite a few from that wonderful game called EQ1 and that other community game called Final FantasyXI. I would like everyone to join this thread in stating what they though bought the community together in those two games.

It only has to be a short answer or it can be done in one word because after we have everyone's answer i would like the devs to really take a look at this thread. I don't want it to turn into a bashing thread or putting other peoples opinions down,we all want a great game and we all want what's missing in most mmorpg back.... Community.

Ill go first.

Mana Breaks,
    Yes, strange but true, this let players actually sit and talk and discuss things while helping to build community relationships. I know many will scream "downtime" but it's a fact that having no downtime has seriously impeded the community aspect of groups in mmorpg.
    Last edited by Ineluki-Storm; 04-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.

East Commonlands, North Freeport Bank, Greater Faydark markets. Having to deal with your buyer face to face before auction houses came into play. Sure its inconvient, but remember the days where you had 100s of folks sitting around being silly and making money.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Exploration.
    I want to ride out into the middle of a zone, find a cave entrance that I've never seen before and explore it with friends.
    None of this Queue up for 9 different instances and wait until the invite pops up.

I will probably get shot down for this but I am going to say it anyway, I think over the past few years big game productions like WoW, Warhammer, AION have pushed the MMO scene / market more into the open as a result we get all sorts of type of players. This creates rifts into any community its not such a suprise we get so many different guild types these days. Even if you scale it only to performance based guilds you can scale them from: pure casual all the way to 24/7 activity of a guild monitorring resources and spands (hardcore). Now if we add different playstyle into this like: semi rp, pure rpg, raiding, none-raiding, pvp, none pvp.

We get lots of different sub-groups some of these sub-groups can't stand eachother much and results into run ins with eachother, and I personally think this is one of the many reasons that create such a horrible communities these days. I always had the feeling we got along better with eachother in the good old days. Maybe I forgot about all the grief and drama or there where just more of the same type of gamers back then resulting in less disagreements.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Having a huge mob in a noob area (SGs in Oasis/North Ro), (Griffin in EC/WC). General community hubs that are always in a sight of danger due to roaming mobs, not everywhere has to be safe.

Another

Corpse Runs that took different classes to get it done (like a Rogue sneaking down) and a cleric rezzing.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by wankthepirate View Post
    Exploration.
    I want to ride out into the middle of a zone, find a cave entrance that I've never seen before and explore it with friends.
    None of this Queue up for 9 different instances and wait until the invite pops up.
    I actually agree very much to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acany View Post
    I actually agree very much to this.
    Hopefully Telara is a large enough world to support this idea. Instanced zones would completely ruin it. Vanguard had it right, build a massive world full of content and let the players find it for themselves. I remember stumbling across the Pantheon with friends on an accident, after many many hours exploring and killing, walking out of there with a legendary healing mace. Best Part? Not a single player knew where I got it.
    Last edited by wankthepirate; 04-27-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Corpse Runs that took different classes to get it done (like a Rogue sneaking down) and a cleric rezzing.
    While many people hate corpse runs with a passion, I always enjoyed mine to some extend. It sucked at times and well waiting a hour for the right people to be online and ready can be a pain but it does bring groups and the community together. Additionally I think world travel is another way to get a community together. In many games tho transportation is instant because the players are used to it and demand it, however I remember often making a chat with other people who where waiting for a boat, space transport, shuttle because it could take a few minutes for the next one to arrive. For this to actually work tho the players need to want it and there need to be enough players around to actually talk to and immerse yourself with.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Having a huge mob in a noob area (SGs in Oasis/North Ro), (Griffin in EC/WC). General community hubs that are always in a sight of danger due to roaming mobs, not everywhere has to be safe.

Another

Hehe, yes i like,you really bought back memories with this one. Following up on the corpse runs that took different classes to help you get your corpse back was great. How about only certain classes having a gate or a port spell,similar to how only wizards and druids had a travel spell before planes of power was introduced in EQ1. You could still have some sort of travel but having a certain class with a travel spell that would put you closer to where you need to get to would bring back a great community feeling.

If you needed to travel then you asked for the services of one of the above classes.
    Last edited by Ineluki-Storm; 04-27-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Hmm travels. yes the ever laster returning nemesis of mmorpg's. The thing about travels is that it tend to part the payers in two groups. On one side you have the role-playing group who loves to emerge thmself into the lore and are willing to play them game on those terms, and the other side you the players who wants to get lvl's fast and push towards endgame content asap. There is (or at least can be) a conflict between those two groups and somehow games always start out more RP based then gradually ease up and provide easier means of travel. I would love to see a consistent travel system of some sort.Could be quest reward based - meaning like if one completes an epic quest (or something) your reward will be to be able to travel faster to that location next time etc.

Dare I say: Flying Mounts? Whoops its already out :P

I want my Griffon back

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Objective based pvp that benifits your factions pve.

And I wholeheartedly agree community as well. It's literally been, hell, almost 6-7 yrs since I've seen a good community. (although lotros rp server wasn't so bad, then again quite often RP servers have the best communities, even if you don't play IC)

The question is ofc what sort of griffon you want. The griffon from EQ2 is just a 'train', where is the one from Vanguard is free flight.

I'd love to have travel as many people already described it, emersive and not instant. This has, rightfully so, raised the issue of different preferences within a playerbase when it comes to those rough two forms of travel. However, I think non-instant travel would be more appealing to a broader group of players if the travel is appealing on a different level than pure esthetics.

For instance, I have always enjoyed riding on my mount through a beautiful landscape. However, to me, this is only enjoyable the first few times I do it. After that, I start to think to myself: "Please, not that tree again! ... Am I there yet?! WTB more speed!" .

What would make travel more appealing is something I believe the dynamic content Rift promises to bring can actually achieve. When getting from A to B, the world may look different than last time you saw it. Moreover, you may stumble upon a tear in the Ward, or some other form of dynamic content. This creates the possibility for travel to be interesting as well as rewarding and therefore make it more attractive versus instant "always-within-2-minutes-of-your-desired-destination" travel systems.
    Last edited by Phyre; 04-27-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acany View Post
    The question is ofc what sort of griffon you want. The griffon from EQ2 is just a 'train', where is the one from Vanguard is free flight.
    Yes, Vanguard has wonderful flying mounts that are fully controllable,an example would be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFrW_dQRPM&hd=1 .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast