+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Insert Libyan War - Recession Part Deux?

  1. #1
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default Insert Libyan War - Recession Part Deux?

    So, anyone who keeps up with the news is aware that The United States has begun attacking Libya/Gaddafi. Even when the United Nations had asked to remain neutral.

    Now, I am no expert in politics, war, or the economy. But isn't the war in Iraq/911 the main contributor to the last 13ish years of economic suffering "we the people" have endured? We were attacked, and we went to war. Support our troops? Of course. Support Bush? No thanks, many of us knew it was a wild goose chase to begin with.

    Queue Obama...the man who claimed he'd "pull troops out of The Middle East." Which he did, and then sent more to Afghanistan. Yet, what I fail to see is any real concern about spending. From either political party.

    I don't care if you like Obama.
    I don't care if you like Bush.
    They're both wrong, and still wrong in my opinion.

    We've seen very little economic recovery thus far. Even though the news says opposite. Simply checking unemployment rates, and watching the inflation continue to rise without increased wages. Wait, haven't we all seen this before? The last time states started raising their minimum wages perhaps? Deja Vu? By the way, I must take the time to thank the American People, for what economic recovery we have accomplished. Because Obama/Politicians weren't the ones which made this possible, it was the American people who are out there fighting, and working which make this possible. Not politicians, or this President.

    So. What of all this blind faith, and hope following Obama? That is what it is by the way, BLIND FAITH. I see a lot of talking, yet the actions don't make any sense. I continue to see biased individuals pretty much arguing YES and NO back and forth. Resembles my childhood, as well as most of your childhoods as well.

    Bush sucked, and it becomes more apparent over time that Obama is no better of a President. Initiating war with countries, without any major incidents on US Soil to conjure such a retaliation. I'd say what Bush did was more justifiable, because we were factually attacked. While I do not dismiss Gaddafi's Evil and Tyranny, I don't see the point in creating another war when we're in a process of economic recovery.

    But then again...maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this thing won't escalate into a war. But one fact remains certain. How can a bunch of people seem concerned about US economic recovery, when most of their news coverage is about foreign affairs, or resolving those affairs, investing in those events/situations? You really think they're whole-heartedly concerned about our well-being?
    Last edited by Haseno; 03-20-2011 at 10:26 AM.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker Sawo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    0

  3. #3
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sawo View Post
    I cried in laughter.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  4. #4
    Shield of Telara Kelvenaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Yes, I watch the news quite a bit. The whole middle east seems to be in a push for democracy at the moment. Tunisia and Egypts old regimes have already gone. If you watched the news you would know this. Libya has also had a popular uprising, but their leader had decided to kill the uprising. NATO has gone to the UN and got a UN Resolution to help the people of Libya before they get killed.

    The United Nations did not say not to get involved. They passed a resolution to aid the free people of Libya and stop them getting murdered by Gadaffi.

    France, Britain, Spain and Canada, to name but four of the other countries involved are also helping. Not just the United States. Your military is acting with the support of the United Nations this time and with a clear mandate. The Security Council met and did this.

    If you have problems with your political leaders yourself, well hopefully you're old enough to vote the next time elections come around in the USA. Then you can have yourself heard. Till then, please at least watch the news to see what is going on.
    Last edited by Kelvenaru; 03-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    Yes, I watch the news quite a bit. The whole middle east seems to be in a push for democracy at the moment. Tunisia and Egypts old regimes have already gone. If you watched the news you would know this. Libya has also had a popular uprising, but their leader had decided to kill the uprising. NATO has gone to the UN and got a UN Resolution to help the people of Libya before they get killed.

    The United Nations did not say not to get involved. They passed a resolution to aid the free people of Libya and stop them getting murdered by Gadaffi.

    France, Britain, Spain and Canada, to name but four of the other countries involved are also helping. Not just the United States. Your military is acting with the support of the United Nations this time and with a clear mandate. The Security Council met and did this.

    If you have problems with your political leaders yourself, well hopefully you're old enough to vote the next time elections come around in the USA. Then you can have yourself heard. Till then, please at least watch the news to see what is going on.
    I don't watch news networks anymore. I actually research the news myself via web. It's much more reliable. I'm aware as to the situation of Libya, and the UN's new stance on Libya.

    But I don't see how this aids us, at all.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  6. #6
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    I'm not sure WWII was really that great for us either, but sometimes people do things because they think those things are right, not because they think those things will benefit them.

    That said, if you can't see how changing things up in Libya is useful to us, I really don't know where to begin.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I'm not sure WWII was really that great for us either, but sometimes people do things because they think those things are right, not because they think those things will benefit them.

    That said, if you can't see how changing things up in Libya is useful to us, I really don't know where to begin.
    From an economical standpoint. Is the millions/billions that may be invested, going to be worth the immediate suffering?


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple DxMxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Gadhafi is no different than the leaders in other countries around the world.
    In fact....

    Libya has the highest per capita income among the African countries.
    The successful revolts in egypt have inspired people to rebel against him.

    It is my opinion that he has been labeled a horrible person just over the media and I cannot believe the UN is getting involved (and taking sides) In a CIVIL WAR.

    Watch and learn...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGfzrRevNU

  9. #9
    Ascendant Chomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DxMxD View Post
    Gadhafi is no different than the leaders in other countries around the world.
    In fact....

    Libya has the highest per capita income among the African countries.
    The successful revolts in egypt have inspired people to rebel against him.

    It is my opinion that he has been labeled a horrible person just over the media and I cannot believe the UN is getting involved (and taking sides) In a CIVIL WAR.

    Watch and learn...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGfzrRevNU

    Yeah sure, that poor man. I just hate it how the media labels great but missunderstood men such as Kim Jong Il or Fidel Castro who always wanted nothing more but the best for their ppl, to be just evil tyrants.

    Sure they shoot and massacre their own ppl at ocasion, but how else are you supposed to teach the masses what is good for them ?!? And then these americans and french and come along and think they know better ?!?
    Last edited by Chomag; 03-20-2011 at 02:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    This isn't really about Gaddafi. At least this thread wasn't created in the interest of discussing Gaddafi's blasphemies.

    I'm more concerned as to how American Politicians are reacting to all this, when we can't even afford our own empire.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple DxMxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Sure they shoot and massacre their own ppl at ocasion, but how else are you supposed to teach the masses what is good for them ?!? And then these americans and french and come along and think they know better ?!?
    During the American CIVIL WAR, Families were torn apart and killed, That is exactly what is going on in Libya except with assault rifles and no standing armies.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Chomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DxMxD View Post
    During the American CIVIL WAR, Families were torn apart and killed, That is exactly what is going on in Libya except with assault rifles and no standing armies.
    No, what is happening is that some tyrant found no other way to impose his will upon the population but to shoot them, and the powerful nations of the world saw this as an opportunity to overthrow him and seize the oil in the process.

    Are the americans and french motivated by the suffering of the libian ppl ? No. Does Ghadaffi deserve to be thrown to garbage bin of history ? HELL YEAH.

    So the americans are going there to get the oil in the end. Who cares ?!? They're gonna remove an evil tyrant while they're at it. I say it's a good thing.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple Koravel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    127

    Default

    From what I understand, we are enforcing the UN-sanctioned no-fly zone, not actually getting into a war with Qaddafi- we're merely defending the Libyan rebels from him.

    I believe one of our generals said specifically that we were not going after him, we were just defending the Libyan people.

    A fine line, and one that takes only a minute excuse to cross.

    Yeah, this is the exact quote:
    “We are not going after Qaddafi,” said Gortney.
    Gortney is the director of the Joint Staff, and a Vice admiral.


    Rashira | Threesprings | Defiant | DominateDominion | Cleric | Level 60

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Zarquon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    Yes, I watch the news quite a bit. The whole middle east seems to be in a push for democracy at the moment. Tunisia and Egypts old regimes have already gone. If you watched the news you would know this. Libya has also had a popular uprising, but their leader had decided to kill the uprising. NATO has gone to the UN and got a UN Resolution to help the people of Libya before they get killed.

    The United Nations did not say not to get involved. They passed a resolution to aid the free people of Libya and stop them getting murdered by Gadaffi.

    France, Britain, Spain and Canada, to name but four of the other countries involved are also helping. Not just the United States. Your military is acting with the support of the United Nations this time and with a clear mandate. The Security Council met and did this.

    If you have problems with your political leaders yourself, well hopefully you're old enough to vote the next time elections come around in the USA. Then you can have yourself heard. Till then, please at least watch the news to see what is going on.
    Sad day when any world leader waits on the blessing of the UN to do anything.

  15. #15
    Rift Master Solbranthius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    675

    Default

    It seems like David Cameron simply decided to throw Britain into yet more foreign affairs in order to distract both the media and the people from his own incompetance. He's been given near constant criticism ever since he and his co-leader came into power, and for those not in the know, it's worth noting that he wasn't even voted in - he and his lackey managed to squeeze in due to a loophole in the voting system.

    Furthermore, with so many glaring issues affecting the UK at the moment - most of them financial - I fail to see how yet another war is going to help things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts