+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Personal Preferences or Passions: Intel v. AMD and/or Nvidia v. ATI

Default Personal Preferences or Passions: Intel v. AMD and/or Nvidia v. ATI

Thoughts?

Ive only ever used Intel, and Nvidia.

Telaran

I'm going to be building a new rig for this game AMD (Phenom™II X4 965 ) and Nvidia (GeForce GTX 480).

I have always been a big fan of both ever since they started sponsoring Quakecon a gaming convention in Texas, mostly FPS but it is a huge lan so there are all kinds of games being played.
    We Are The Defiant

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

For the past decade or so, I have only used AMD processors, but I pick the GPU based on what company offers the best value (performance vs. price, power usage, stability, etc.). Right now it is ATI (also an AMD company), since Fermi was a disaster (fast, but every other aspect is terrible, especially heat).

AMD always wins the comparison on value against Intel, so I never have to compare there. Before the hate pours in, Intel processors are almost always faster - no argument there. However, in terms of value, they are not worth it unless one does very CPU-intensive tasks, such as archiving, video editing, etc. For gaming, an AMD CPU that costs half what an Intel CPU does will give virtually the same results, since most of the time one will not be bound by the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sornin View Post
    For the past decade or so, I have only used AMD processors, but I pick the GPU based on what company offers the best value (performance vs. price, power usage, stability, etc.). Right now it is ATI (also an AMD company), since Fermi was a disaster (fast, but every other aspect is terrible, especially heat).

AMD always wins the comparison on value against Intel, so I never have to compare there. Before the hate pours in, Intel processors are almost always faster - no argument there. However, in terms of value, they are not worth it unless one does very CPU-intensive tasks, such as archiving, video editing, etc. For gaming, an AMD CPU that costs half what an Intel CPU does will give virtually the same results, since most of the time one will not be bound by the CPU.
    I have always used Asus Main boards coupled with AMD processors. They have yet to fail. AMD runs cooler cost less and you can OC the hell out of them. For Video I have been using Asus built cards of late and have had no issues at all.

Amd here. I have a tri-core (black) processor and one of these days i'll go into the computer and turn on the fourth core, but maybe closer to release =-p

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo View Post
    Thoughts?

Ive only ever used Intel, and Nvidia.
    same as you have. sometimes more expensive but better overall IMHO!

yes, but aren't the Core-6es both about a thousand right now?

I actually have a list of everything I am going to get to build a rig just for this game.

And the only splurge item (because everything is brand new now, but wont be in 8 months) would be the GTX 495, some theory crafting on the net says maybe december. I want Quad SLI but getting 4 x gtx 480 is just a lot, and would be a ***** to cool. And I am not too keen on water cooling because I have never used it, and if I do go with water cooling id rather reduce the number of hoses I have and go wtih one that cools the gpu's from both sides.

Is anyone gonna use one of EVGA's Classifed SR2's?

That thing can do 48gig of Ram jsesus.
    Last edited by Evereghalo; 07-05-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

yes, but aren't the Core-6es both about a thousand right now?
    Nah, the best AMD six-core processor right now is roughly $300 USD, give or take $20. The weaker one is maybe $200 or so. AMD always gives a lot of cores for a low price.

Nah, the best AMD six-core processor right now is roughly $300 USD, give or take $20. The weaker one is maybe $200 or so. AMD always gives a lot of cores for a low price.
    Really, see I have to chalk it upto their website I just cannot stand how its organized. I can find the data, but sense I know nothing about it.

Plus common sense for Intel is i7 is going to be better than i3.

Might have to get that SR2 then and go with 12 cores, LOL.

Really, see I have to chalk it upto their website I just cannot stand how its organized. I can find the data, but sense I know nothing about it.

Plus common sense for Intel is i7 is going to be better than i3.

Might have to get that SR2 then and go with 12 cores, LOL.
    http://www.pricewatch.com/

+ Reply to Thread