+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technical question

Default Technical question

If I plug my computer into an HD tv, will I still need a good video card to get good graphics, or will the tv take care of that?

Yes, you will still need a good video card (and a good rest of the computer as well ;) ).

The HDTV will just be acting as your monitor... displaying the frames which are sent to it by the video card. It's the computer that creates the frames, and therefore needs the horsepower.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Imagine the TV as a wagon.
    You just got yourself a much larger, hand-crafted one, made of steel. But how does that help if the animal carrying it (your computer) is a squirrel?
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    Imagine the TV as a wagon.
    You just got yourself a much larger, hand-crafted one, made of steel. But how does that help if the animal carrying it (your computer) is a squirrel?
    Oh sh!t!! That is bloody genious. Love it!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I suspected as such. Thanks, guys.

Let's not jump to conclusions guys. While we know things will look nice and require a lot of power to run on a 1080p, the OP may NOT be running a 1080p HDTV. Could be 720, could be an older HDTV which caps at 1024x768 PC res, we don't know.

What is the HDTV in questions manufacturer and model number?
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Good thing you posted that, Skythe, now Elladar finally figured out how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    If I plug my computer into an HD tv, will I still need a good video card to get good graphics, or will the tv take care of that?
    For your monitor to play it will need to be one made for it, or you will also need a tuner card too.

No specific HDTV. I don't have one right now, I was just thinking if I did get one.

Well, in the range of theory, I'd recommend looking at cards in the $150 and up range (ideally look around the $250 range) paired with a 1080p monitor. You shouldn't have any issues runing in 1920x1080, as basically any 1080p can take PC input. However, it's alignment may not be quite right unless it is specifically designed for PC input. I tried hooking my system up to a friends 1080p and it had to be adjusted to fit right. Thankfully this only needs to be done once and will only be forgotten if you disconnect the monitor. (It actually seemed to fit and scale Hulu a lot better at a lower resolution setting.) Also note that if the graphics card doesn't have an HDMI connection (all ATi series 5 should, Nvidia's cards typically don't) you'll have to get a DVI -> HDMI cable.

Unless this HDTV is also your main viewing screen I'd recommend you look at going Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround instead of going with an HDTV. (Note that while Eyefinity can run off a single card, Nvidia requires dual card. See my site for much more detailed bla bla on that.) IMO it would provide a better desktop gaming experience, as most don't consider the limitations with couch gaming. (Sitting on a couch and gaming on a keyboard will become painful, where are you going to put the mouse so that it's got a flat surface, how are you going to output sound, etc.)

Link if you don't know what Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround would be like. Do peep my site for bla bla on restrictions/conditions to run both before buying if you are unfamiliar with the tech.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Sweet, thanks for all the tips. I don't think I'll be doing any drastic computer/monitor updates or anything until this game gets closer to release. I was just curious.

Be mindful that it's very dangerous to upgrade/build specifically and only for any single game. It may turn out the game is delayed, it may be canceled, or you may not actually like it.

Here's why I say that. Back in the day I was super excited for Star Wars Galaxies. Everything I read about it sounded awesome. It was something like 4 months until their projected launch window and I overspent to build a system specifically for the game. Less than two weeks later the game was delayed by 3 months. A new graphics card generation came out. The game was delayed again. A new CPU generation came out. The game was delayed again. I got into beta and discovered I actually questioned the way the game was shaping up in regards to its paper statements. By the time the game finally launched it was 6+ months past the original official release date that was stated, I actually didn't like the game, and a full GPU / CPU generation had passed. Not only could I have gotten far more power for my money had I waited until it went gold, but I actually wound up not ever picking the game up.

So, I really highly recommend that people never, ever, build / buy a system specifically and only for any single game. It's just a bad idea IMO.

This is what I did a while back actually. I replaced my lcd monitor with an Insignia 32" LCD 1080P HDTV. My video card did not have a HDMI out jack, but it had DVI, so I got a DVI to HDMI converter and hooked it in to the tv via HDMI.

It works amazingly well, and I can't even imagine going back to a smaller monitor ever again.

By the way, I picked up my tv on sale for under $400. Compare that to a 32" computer monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Be mindful that it's very dangerous to upgrade/build specifically and only for any single game. It may turn out the game is delayed, it may be canceled, or you may not actually like it.

Here's why I say that. Back in the day I was super excited for Star Wars Galaxies. Everything I read about it sounded awesome. It was something like 4 months until their projected launch window and I overspent to build a system specifically for the game. Less than two weeks later the game was delayed by 3 months. A new graphics card generation came out. The game was delayed again. A new CPU generation came out. The game was delayed again. I got into beta and discovered I actually questioned the way the game was shaping up in regards to its paper statements. By the time the game finally launched it was 6+ months past the original official release date that was stated, I actually didn't like the game, and a full GPU / CPU generation had passed. Not only could I have gotten far more power for my money had I waited until it went gold, but I actually wound up not ever picking the game up.

So, I really highly recommend that people never, ever, build / buy a system specifically and only for any single game. It's just a bad idea IMO.
    That's partially why I'm waiting 'til much closer to launch (I've gotta try out the game in beta first). And anyway, it wouldn't be specifically for just this game, it would be for plenty of other games, too. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Pharone View Post
    By the way, I picked up my tv on sale for under $400. Compare that to a 32" computer monitor.
    It's not just about size; there's resolution and speed to consider. As example, while much smaller, this Acer GD235HZbid 23.6" 1920x1080 monitor has the same resolution as yours, but it has a 120Hz refresh speed (likely double yours, meaning a much higher FPS cap), and is Nvidia 3D compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    And anyway, it wouldn't be specifically for just this game, it would be for plenty of other games, too. ;)

+ Reply to Thread