+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 23 Best days of the year

Default 23 Best days of the year

That is right its almost time again for the best 23 days of the year. The Tour De France starts this Saturday and for the cycling obsessed its not to late to fill out your fantasy cycling teams.

While there are probably not a lot of cycling fans on MMO boards as its hard to have multiple time consuming obsessions and cycling is generally more of an older persons sport. There may be some interested. For those wanting a simple and easy Tour De France fantasy cycling game I would recommend Velogames.

For a more complex daily Fantasy cycling game I would recommend this Danish fantasy cycling game. Normally there are 60,000 players. Not sure the prizes this year but last year they gave away a team bike from the Tour. I just missed it coming in 6th overall. This game is the best by far of any fantasy sports game I have played. Basically you and buy and sell riders each stage as their values go up and down. It takes a great deal of knowledge, thought, skill and a bit of luck. if you need help with translating or interpreting the rules into English, I would be happy to help.

Regardless, we have less than 2 days to go and I can't wait.
    Last edited by Zinn; 07-01-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
    That is right its almost time again for the best 23 days of the year. The Tour De France starts this Saturday and for the cycling obsessed its not to late to fill out your fantasy cycling teams.

While there are probably not a lot of cycling fans on MMO boards as its hard to have multiple time consuming obsessions and cycling is generally more of an older persons sport. There may be some interested. For those wanting a simple and easy Tour De France fantasy cycling game I would recommend Velogames.

For a more complex daily Fantasy cycling game I would recommend this Danish fantasy cycling game. Normally there are 60,000 players. Not sure the prizes this year but last year they gave away a team bike from the Tour. I just missed it coming in 6th overall. This game is the best by far of any fantasy sports game I have played. Basically you and buy and sell riders each stage as their values go up and down. It takes a great deal of knowledge, thought, skill and a bit of luck. if you need help with translating or interpreting the rules into English, I would be happy to help.

Regardless, we have less than 2 days to go and I can't wait.
    hey, im a huge fan of cycling myself (have watched almost all classics and big tours this year)
    le tour is the biggest cycling event of the year and i can't wait for it myself (summer outside, cold beer in fridge, great stages to watch)

the only bummer is that EUROSPORT in my country only shows half of each stage (the final obvious) and i really hate that, coz i wanna see all the beautiful sights in France

anyway, i hope an underdog wins it , maybe Cancellara or some of the younger riders like Sagan or Porte
    if its going to be between Contador and Lance i hope its gonna be Contador to win it

Sorry to hear about the lack of coverage. I am guessing you will get the same amount as we do in the States, the last 3 hours of each stage. You can get a live written tracker on cyclingnews. Myabe Steephill might have some more feeds. Versus has an online tour feed for $30. But given the lack of quality of Versus coverage I doubt it adds to the length of normal coverage.

I agree with you about hoping for an upset. I don't like Contador. He just seems like a bad person to me. Although he appears to be the overwhelming favorite there is a chance. Stage 3's cobblestones might be that chance to put some time on him. In regards to Sagan and Porte I don't think either are riding. Generally at 20 years old a rider is not physically developed enough to withstand the pain and suffering of a 3 week grand tour. 25 is is generally considered to young to contend. Although there are exceptions like Andy Schleck and Ullrich. But Sagan has had such fantastic year so far he could really make some noise especially in the prologue. But Liquigas has other options in Krueziger and Basso.

I am not convinced of Schleck's form. Wiggins looks could surprise again like last year. I have a hard time believing Evans and Basso can have recovered from the Giro. I have doubts if Armstrong can hold up with all the climbing this year. Kreuziger could surprise. Can Michael Rogers hold up for 3 weeks? What Tony Martin, Gesnik or even Fugslang being a young surprise? With the course being perfect for Contador its really his race to lose. I think I might be more interested in the sprints this year. Will Cavendish dominate or continue to struggle? Is Hushovd back from injury? Farrar might be the safest and most consistent bet. What about Ciolek? Can McEwen and Pettachi contend for a stage win? Then there are so many dynamic breakaway racers that could animate stages like Martinez, Ferdigo, EBH, Vino, Hesjedal and so many more. Its really exciting.

Its to bad there is no TTT this year. But still Astana has a pretty weak team and I would love to see Contador's quote that he does not need a team to win come back to haunt him.
    Last edited by Zinn; 07-01-2010 at 11:58 AM.

i follow cyclingnews.com for results, text coverage seems boring in this kind of sport
    sad to hear that Sagan might not make it in the roster for le tour, he was amazing in California vs HUGE NAMEs in cycling

also , i dont know if Cavendish recovered after the crash, if he did, he is gonna win at least 5 stages (i've read that 6 or 7 stages have sprint finish)

as long as we have a good show with surprise attacks or even a surprise break-away like in giro at L'Aquila
    also it sucks that this year there wont be Mont Ventoux or Alpe d'Huez

im not a big fan of Contador either (i always liked the underdogs) , but i will always choose Alberto over Lance

anyway, i bet its gonna be LEGENDARY as always and vive le tour

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post

im not a big fan of Contador either (i always liked the underdogs) , but i will always choose Alberto over Lance
    I can understand not liking lance. He can be abrasive, rude and he does not always treat people well. But it should not be an either/or choice between Lance and Contador. It's possible to disapprove of both of their behavior. But in comparison to Lance Contador seems to have taken bad behavior to another level. What first caught my eye was when Contador started the feud between himself and the team last year in March. He called out the integrity of his teammates and of JB in the press. Something I can't recall any athlete ever doing before. He did not stop and repeatedly attacked his teammates in the press all the way up to the Tour in hopes JB would release him from his contract. What is eye opening to me was after he acted out in the Tour not only did almost all of his team trash his behavior but no one came to his defense. If you pay attention no one ever said anything nice about him which is amazing as being a champion one would think it benefits everyone to help build up his image for the betterment of the sport. But then again he is still only a kid at 27 and I am sure he will learn a lot as he grows older and matures. The people surrounding him do not seem to be the best led by his crazy brother as his agent. So I would guess he is not getting good impartial advice.

For a good read on how Contador acted at last years tour and how his teammates reacted to his behavior take a look at this piece from Bicycling.

But like Lance or not its hard to argue that he is not good for the sport. Tour De France ratings almost doubled last year as did the Giro thanks to him. I don't see how he can realistically do as well this year considering the route but if he did so many more people would watch. Like I said before I am not a Lance fan but I have a hard time not rooting for him as it would be such a good thing for Cycling and he is such an overwhelming underdog. But regardless of who does it I would love to see Contador taught the lesson that the team does matter.

Only 24 hrs and 24 minutes until the start of TV coverage.

Two very bad days full of crashes. That crash on the downhill was awful today. Looks like a of GC contenders were shaken up pretty bad. Such a shame as the today's stage seemed to promise such a great finish. While they did not show Lance or Contador I read that Lance's jersey and shorts were all torn up. Contador looked a bit awkward when he caught back up the peleton. Not to mention the Schleck's looked in terrible condition.

Tommorow's mini Roubiox type stage with the cobblestones could be carnage. If it rains again it may be very ugly. With it appearing that every team is quite banged up I am not sure we will be getting the expected hard racing we thought we see for this stage. Especially considering the rider protest at the end of todays stage. They might all just take it easy.

But if they survive tomorrow we will then have 3 nice sprinter stages before the race goes into the mountains on Saturday.

But tommorow's cobblestone stage may be a stage to watch. Radioshack and Saxo may still try to drop Astana. It's really Lance's only chance to win this race other than an injury to Contador.

the commentators in my country read an email from some1 that was watching Eurosport-Rusia. they said the downhill crash was caused by a TEAM SUPPORT CAR. if this is true, then it is an awful day for cycling.

you are correct, two days, major crashes, IL GIRO all over again. (i heard that lance crashed too on the downhill, but with less consequences than Andy Schleck). still , it was good to see andy catch up to the peloton. Btw , 1st day 1st crash caused by Cavendish

Mini-Roubaix should be fun, hope it doesnt rain. Chavanel will hold the yellow jersey till the Alps, if nothing special happens.

Btw, have you read anything about the sabotage at the end? Cancellara deliberately lost time (HUGE TIME) just to prove a point? The only thing i read was that they protested about the rough terrain, which is crap, cobblestones will be tougher than 2nd stage.

I watched the tour this morning then read a few theories about it later. One speculates that a motorcycle crashed on the downhill before the peleton arrived spilling oil. The riders said it was so slick that no one could stay up. Over half the peleton crashed. Cancellera, Hushovd,Martin and Menchov were about he only ones that made it through. People were spread out all over. Atmstrong, Contador and a large segement were about 1-2 minutes behind the Cancellera group. The Schlecks were 2 minutes behind Armstrong and there were 7 breakaway riders 20-40 seconds ahead of Cancellera.

Cancellera slowed everyone down to wait for the GC men to catch up the Schlecks being the last. Doing this cost him the yellow jersey. Very admirable on his part. Of the 7 riders in front all but Chavenel waited not wanting to benefit from the crash. Once everyone was there everyone soft pedaled in. No one seemed to want to race anymore except a few sprinters. A number of riders said nothing was spoken but no one wanted to race and we all sort of knew we had enough.

The race officials dod not award sprint points at the end because the race had been neutralized. I have read a lot of forum posters critical of the riders soft pedaling in as crashing is part of the race. But this was no normal crash it was more than half the peleton. About half the Garmin team went to the hospital. It was ugly. Who knows what kind of shape people will be in for tomorrow. It was really a shame as it had potential for such a great finish.

Tomorrow could be insane with the Cobbles. With possible crashes, mechanical problem and the possibility GC riders may get separated on the cobbles. Anything could happen. Its Armstrong, Schleck and every GC contenders chance tomorrow to put time on Contador.

stupid mistake by officials, that oil spill should of been signaled like 1KM ahead with a Yellow/Red Flag of warning, the riders would of lost time (in report to Chavanel) but they wouldnt have been injured
    seems cycling needs a Safety-Car aswell

i dont blame chavanel, he couldn't of known what had happen in the back , all the other riders knew about it because they saw it when they passed/crashed in that area.

hope no retirments today before the race starts, at least i hope none of the favorites retire.

stupid mistake by officials, that oil spill should of been signaled like 1KM ahead with a Yellow/Red Flag of warning, the riders would of lost time (in report to Chavanel) but they wouldnt have been injured
    seems cycling needs a Safety-Car aswell

i dont blame chavanel, he couldn't of known what had happen in the back , all the other riders knew about it because they saw it when they passed/crashed in that area.

hope no retirments today before the race starts, at least i hope none of the favorites retire.
    don't know he could have known if you ask me I mean there are plenty of cars /motors around him and he is in contact with his time. However I think it's quite understandable if you are ahead that long that you continue to ride, if you hold back on such a occacion because the rest behind you holds back and then IF they would have started riding again they catch up.

Would you ever forgive yourself for that?

If you ask me it was very sportsman like to wait for everyone however if say Armstrong falls on a big mountain you think anyone would think twice about waiting? I personally don't think so, its all in the game if you ask me. Falling is part of the game and even when it's not your fault it can screw up your course.

I wouldn't want the course to wait everytime someone falls, but if its so obviously a big mistake from the organisation I think it was the right move.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

crashes are common in cycling, but the kind that happened today was unusual and had nothing to do with cycling
    that is why the peloton waited for Armstrong and Schleck groups , and that is why Radio Shack did not take the lead of the pleoton to get rid of the Schlecks.
    Chavanel was already ahead of the peloton (routing for the stage win) , no1 from the race blamed him for continuing his solo race

all in all, a very ugly stage (from the Official's point of view), a very beautiful day for sportsmanship and fairplay

crashes are common in cycling, but the kind that happened today was unusual and had nothing to do with cycling
    that is why the peloton waited for Armstrong and Schleck groups , and that is why Radio Shack did not take the lead of the pleoton to get rid of the Schlecks.
    Chavanel was already ahead of the peloton (routing for the stage win) , no1 from the race blamed him for continuing his solo race

all in all, a very ugly stage (from the Official's point of view), a very beautiful day for sportsmanship and fairplay
    Just saying that sort of sportsmanship and fairplay might not have happend if one big man fell Nor should it.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Just saying that sort of sportsmanship and fairplay might not have happend if one big man fell Nor should it.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    many big men fell yesterday Andy Schelck is viewed as the 2nd favorite for the final win (after Contador)
    from what i've read even Armstrong and Contador fell on that oil spill (not as bad as Andy tho)

Another 8 KMs until the final 7 cobblestones sections. It should be exciting.

This is likely the best chance anyone will have a chance to put time into Contador.

Great race today. Bad luck for Armstrong getting a puncture. But heroic effort by him fighting his way back to limit his losses.

Cancellera is so impressive. Great job by Saxo Bank. They showed why they have the best team today. To bad about Frank.

Nice work by Contador fighting his way back after getting dropped.

No idea what Vino was doing putting time on his teammate. Wonder if this will cause some friction on the team now that Vino is ahead of Contador in GC.

All in all a great race today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast