+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a desktop comp....

Default Building a desktop comp....

I am building a desktop in the next few months for next gen MMOs. I want to be able to run games likes Rift, Guild Wars 2, Tera etc on the highest settings.

I want a system that I can upgrade as it gets older. I dont have to have 12GB+ Ram right now but would like a system and motherboard that would give me that option down the line. I want to make sure I get one of the best video cards available. I dont need a ton of Hard Drive space since I dont store a lot of songs,movies, etc. 500gb + is fine. No monitor or acessories just the Tower.

Can anyone help me with a build or specific components that I should include?

Thanks for the help!

How much money do you want to spend?
    "Meet me in the shadows and I'll show you the depths of darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze11 View Post
    I want to make sure I get one of the best video cards available.
    You'll want to wait then. The AMD 69xx series is due this coming week.

Can anyone help me with a build or specific components that I should include?
    My site, joo can has system build recommendations. (Though again be aware those are likely to change after the AMD 69xx cards launch.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
    How much money do you want to spend?
    1300 or less for the tower. less being better obviously. i dont have to have the best of the best if there is a much better value that is close in performance.

Rift Disciple

A friend of mine is a systems builder, he posted his latest PC to our site and his machine screams, it may be of help.

http://www.elementsofdarkness.com/sh...php?299-New-PC

rabb1t has some great builds listed also.
    holdtheline.com - gaming advocacy network

1300 or less for the tower. less being better obviously. i dont have to have the best of the best if there is a much better value that is close in performance.
    What components do you have that you will reuse in your new rig?

That'd be somewhere in a rank 2 or rank 3 system since you say you just want 'what's in the box'. I'd influence you towards a rank 2 AMD build, but adding on tri-monitor for Eyefinity. (You can upgrade the graphics to CrossFire later for better performance if you aren't happy with how it's running as-is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Volion View Post
    A friend of mine is a systems builder, he posted his latest PC to our site and his machine screams, it may be of help.
    There are some odd choices there. Not sure I'd agree with a socket 1366, particularly with it on the verge of hitting end of life within a few months. (Unless you get a really amazing deal on it or something.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Well, if you want to run next gen games you may look into the new Nvidia cards (GTX 460 or 480). Im using the less expensive ATI Radeon 5870 and have experienced very few problems. Be sure you have a decent power supply though. (My desktop has 1200 wats =D). This is all assuming price is not an option of course as these are the more expensive cards.

After doing a little research I think i need to wait until the sandy bridge intel chip comes out as well as the new AMD cards. Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Volion View Post

rabb1t has some great builds listed also.
    I also recomend the "Core i7-960" or the "Core i7-980X" those CPUs should keep you busy for the next 3 years easily

After doing a little research I think i need to wait until the sandy bridge intel chip comes out as well as the new AMD cards. Agree?
    Yes. New AMD cards should be announced on the 15th.

Ascendant

At that price point you are probably looking at a Nvdia 570 and the most affordable Sandybridge option when it comes out. Or perhaps a 69xx if it stacks up.

+ Reply to Thread