+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My dreamjob.

Rift Disciple

Default My dreamjob.

Well, as you can see on the title. My drem job is to become a game designer....or is it background designer? Well, when I play...I usually look around and let my imagination run loose. Thinking of what could be there and what could be improved. As I don't exactly know what is required to be able to study about this job, I'd like to know if anyone knows a bit more about this?

Sincerely EvilMegaCookie, a dreaming player who wants to be a Background Designer/Game Designer.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMegaCookie View Post
    Well, as you can see on the title. My drem job is to become a game designer....or is it background designer? Well, when I play...I usually look around and let my imagination run loose. Thinking of what could be there and what could be improved. As I don't exactly know what is required to be able to study about this job, I'd like to know if anyone knows a bit more about this?

Sincerely EvilMegaCookie, a dreaming player who wants to be a Background Designer/Game Designer.
    If memory servese me well (which usually it doesn't) there is a University in florida that has a career in game development, I want to say the name of the University is: "full sail university" or something similar to that name.

remember "eye candy" we stone.. eh we older players like games full of life , vegetation, forests... not games that are empty landscapes with monsters here and there for you to grind.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 420dude View Post
    If memory servese me well (which usually it doesn't) there is a University in florida that has a career in game development, I want to say the name of the University is: "full sail university" or something similar to that name.

remember "eye candy" we stone.. eh we older players like games full of life , vegetation, forests... not games that are empty landscapes with monsters here and there for you to grind.
    I agree. And so does younger players too Now, it's a bit late right now (02:12 SWE time) but i think im gonna google for the ''full sail university'' you were talking about Thanks a lot^^ Do you know anything more about this..job? Such as what is required to be able to work with this occupation. Sincerely EvilMegaCookie.

What do you need to know? Ideally, anything and everything. A designer draws upon as many fields of knowledge as possible.

But programming and art might be some good starts.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    What do you need to know? Ideally, anything and everything. A designer draws upon as many fields of knowledge as possible.

Thanks. What I want to know is if there are any sites that offer some kind of education? How to program and create forests and such at games...environments and everything. Sincerely EvilMegaCookie.

Your best route into game design is via game development - get a degree in computer science, and start at the bottom in a games company as a programmer. Most of the best known games designers around today started as developers.

Games designer is a management role and requires you to manage a team of people and to project manage - this can be an extremely large project and an extremely large team of people.

It is by no means an entry level job - unless you are lucky enough to have the resources to start your own company.
    Last edited by ViniH; 12-11-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    We are the Defiant!

Shield of Telara

EvilMegaCookie, have you ever done any mapping, or modding? Do you know xml, or have you made addons? Messed around with any sdk's, etc?

For someone who's an absolute beginner, I'd start playing around with some of the above before you make any sort of long term commitment towards a goal in the industry, such as a college/uni course. You want to be sure its absolutely what you want to do, and although sdk's etc aren't a patch on game design, it costs nothing and it may give you some sort of bare bones feel of what some of it is about.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    EvilMegaCookie, have you ever done any mapping, or modding? Do you know xml, or have you made addons? Messed around with any sdk's, etc?

For someone who's an absolute beginner, I'd start playing around with some of the above before you make any sort of long term commitment towards a goal in the industry, such as a college/uni course. You want to be sure its absolutely what you want to do, and although sdk's etc aren't a patch on game design, it costs nothing and it may give you some sort of bare bones feel of what some of it is about.
    Thanks. And no, unfortunately I haven't. Could you give me some kind of link? That would be really appreciated^^

Sincerely EvilMegaCookie.

Thanks. And no, unfortunately I haven't. Could you give me some kind of link? That would be really appreciated^^
    So lazy. Never heard of Google?
    We are the Defiant!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ViniH View Post
    So lazy. Never heard of Google?
    Unfortunately not. Ha ha ha. But seriously, could you give me any info on some program that I could...''practice'' on? Or does it just work fine with map modders such as Hammer Editor, SDK (Whatever that means), the wc3 map program and similiar programs? I would really like to know. P.S I am a bit lazy as you said ^^

I believe there are 4 different universities that currently offer an online Game degree. In any of the cases, it will cost you a good $40k.

Of those 4 I would Recommend Full Sail or UAT (Ive been to UAT campus in Phoenix).

http://www.uat.edu/majors/UAT-Online.aspx

they offer 3 different Game degrees
    - Game Art and Animation
    - GAme Design
    - Game Programming

That being said, I've never met an actual Game company employee that actually had a "Game Degree" you just need to go into IT -> Programming -> 3d Graphics

----
    EDIT: if you are lazy.... you will never survive coding
    Last edited by Kome; 12-13-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kome View Post
    I believe there are 4 different universities that currently offer an online Game degree. In any of the cases, it will cost you a good $40k.

Of those 4 I would Recommend Full Sail or UAT (Ive been to UAT campus in Phoenix).

http://www.uat.edu/majors/UAT-Online.aspx

they offer 3 different Game degrees
    - Game Art and Animation
    - GAme Design
    - Game Programming

That being said, I've never met an actual Game company employee that actually had a "Game Degree" you just need to go into IT -> Programming -> 3d Graphics

----
    EDIT: if you are lazy.... you will never survive coding
    Haha ;) Thanks for the warning. I assure you, when it's something I burn for, i'm never lazy.

i started off with Unreal Engine, made alot of mods for Morrowind and Oblivion (scripts included) a bit of Level Design in FPS Creator
    + reading a few books helps

anyway, you are probably not gonna get hired as a Game Designer per say at start, you'll start as level designer and move on up... or maybe you'll get really lucky
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Yeah, if you're artistic... thats good. If not, learn how to code or something along those lines.
    Last edited by -Naosyth-; 12-13-2010 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

Unfortunately not. Ha ha ha. But seriously, could you give me any info on some program that I could...''practice'' on? Or does it just work fine with map modders such as Hammer Editor, SDK (Whatever that means), the wc3 map program and similiar programs? I would really like to know. P.S I am a bit lazy as you said ^^

SDK stands for software development kit. Hammer editor is an example of an SDK.
    We are the Defiant!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast