+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: As much as this pains me to admit...

Default As much as this pains me to admit...

Cataclysm is actually better than i expected it would be.

Yes, you can hurl the Spear of Hypocrisy +3 at me if you'd like. I know i said i'd never touch WOW again. But, Rift has at least 4 more months before it releases and i'm really quite tired of "playing" EVE online.

Some things they improved. Very few quests have random chances of the items you need dropping. I.e. if it says go collect 10 wolf pelts, 90% of the time you only have to kill 10 wolves.

Second, grouping to do quests is actually feasible now. Most things such as activating an item on the ground, releasing a prisoner, etc etc, in quest actually counts for the whole group. So far only ones where you have to say collect 10 mushrooms or something like that don't update the whole group.

On the negative side, things that still piss me off:

Getting a green within my first 4 quests that made my hard earned t7.5 25 man raid robe look like a HULKING piece of crap. I really wonder if Blizzard even knows the meaning of the word mudflation.

Stupid dungeon tool that insta teleports you to a dungeon. I mean honestly, with all the ports and crap in the game, it shouldnt take you more than 3 minutes to get to one anyways.

Ridiculous money sinks: Why oh why are you charging me 5000 gold just so i can fly 30% faster? WHY?

Oh, and the biggest thing of all... Leveling speed.

I don't know if many of you know, but the record for hitting 85 after release was about 5.5 hours. Thats to go from 80 to 85. WTF, the fact that it is even possible for someone to do it in 5.5 hours is ridiculous. And to people calling BS. I can easily see it, me and my buddy have put about 12 hours in and we've made 3 levels. That included UI setups, bug fixes, computer crashes (apparently deepholm doesnt like GTX460 cards on Win7). Random 20 minute market perusals. Frequent trips by my friend to SW to do waves of reforging, etc. My point is we werent even TRYING to be efficient. So yes, the leveling pace is far FAR too fast.

Get this guy into alpha before we lose him!

Did they make levelling -easier- when there's -less- levels to be had in the expansion?
    What?
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    Did they make levelling -easier- when there's -less- levels to be had in the expansion?
    What?
    It's pretty pathetic. I have WoW up to WotLK on my computer (unsubbed), and I did Cata beta... and I have no interest at all in continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    It's pretty pathetic. I have WoW up to WotLK on my computer (unsubbed), and I did Cata beta... and I have no interest at all in continuing.
    Same here, only my subscription still has some time left on it.
    Not even once did I feel tempted to log now...
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

It was nice in AO when the expansion levels took a lot more effort to gain. e.g shadowlands (wasit?) levels from 200 - 220, meant a lot more then ordinary levels and took a lot more xp. Ah, miss the group kill grind sometimes.
    Frozen Dawn - Selia / Xev / Xevia
    History: Anarchy Online, WoW, DDO, Vanguard, Warhammer.

Levelling so fast its pointless and massive gear redundancy?

Modern WoW strikes again!

For me, WoW is dead, I quit a year ago and I'm surprised I even stayed that long.

It was tempting to play as a Goblin (time is money friend!) or Worgen (the transform thing looked quite cool) and play a bit of new content but at the end of the day its still crap now - and no matter how much you polish crap, its still crap.

I agree with the OP. Due to certain... reasons, my friend dragged me back into WoW and Cataclysm. It's refreshing, and there are loads of phasing and a variety of quests.

While the leveling speed to 85 may be very low, that is intended. They have instead provided more content at end game than in Wotlk. It is also not a complete pushover, there are dangerous mobs, and I've died quite a few times when getting too arrogant. The raid and dungeon content is supposed to provide new challenges as well.

In fact, its a good thing to have while waiting for Rift release (or a beta invite).

Cheers.

its funny. i had unsubed my WOW account befor TBC came out. i was in that beta and i saw the direction they were heading in then. i feel sorry for those that have never played any other MMOs and dont know what true quality is.

That is exactly my situation. Except I never participated in the Cataclysm beta ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodion View Post
    Levelling so fast its pointless and massive gear redundancy?

Modern WoW strikes again!

but at the end of the day its still crap now - and no matter how much you polish crap, its still crap.
    i love this quote ...lmao
    "It is what it is!" PVPVE East Coast Raiding

Get this guy into alpha before we lose him!
    Hahah, trust me there is no way this game is losing me. Cataclysm is a stopgap, just some content for me to blow through to keep my mind off of rift. I have every intention of participating in the beta events from here on so kudos to that.

Reality is i just have nothing better to do. I've not found a single player game thats caught my interest, EVE was just getting to be too much effort for too little fun, and we all know how the rest of the MMO landscape has been up to this point.

Angry

i did to deepholme made me angry they hyped it all up and it looks nothing like the deepholme they described and it doesnt look as cool on the cover what deathwing is breaking out of i thoguht it was going to look like that

You can "hate" it all you want, but let's disregard all the features it has at the moment (no current or upcoming MMO has a feature set as complete, PvP, PvE, socials and architecture).

-Familiarity. Players know what they are getting. If you so make your Super Burger Deluxe the tastiest burger ever, people will still horde McDonalds or Burger King. Sad but true. And also understandable: you know Blizzards content will be, at least somewhat, entertaining.

-Continuity. I have SO many memories, and SO many friends playing WoW. That is probably the biggest factor of success past TBC. Everyone's doing it, and noone is quitting. A few of the hardcore try other games and sometimes leave but the large mass still remeain. And since one of the pulling points of MMOs is to be able to play with other people it feels natural to keep going with what works.

-Quality. There is no other MMO with better quality. Equal.... yes perhaps. But 6 years running has the dev team pinnned down the harshest defects. Fluid combat, consistent (but sure boring) itemization.Pre-balanced raid content and a plethora of surplus fluff features.

Why do I bring this up? Because it is easy to fool oneself when thinking about achieving something more entertaining. Does WoW have a flaw? Yes, its gfx is ancient, but in all other aspects it is perfect. Not for everyone, but in what it wants to achieve.

Ok, so where does this leave Rift? I am certainly not sure. I would like Rift to be the new "wow", because its about time we see some better gfx in a triple A, more interactions, better raiding, better everything. Its about time we can experience something else, because of course there is more to enjoy (yes, I can promise this because there are more interesting culinary experiences to have than McD). Anyway an old saying, by now, if X fails, there's always Wow..... :-|
    Last edited by charlionfire; 12-11-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post
    I don't know if many of you know, but the record for hitting 85 after release was about 5.5 hours.
    I don't play WoW anymore, but even I know that the 80-85 was done by Athene with mobtagging in instances, with what he also made the fastest leveling record in vanilla, TBC and world's first in Wotlk. It doesn't have to do anything with questing or whatsoever. It was achieved in that time only because it is 5 levels.
    Last edited by Vembumees87; 12-11-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    i5 m520 3ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram, HD 5650.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast