+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Video Card Help

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default Video Card Help

    Last BETA I wasnt really able to play Rift on max settings Im currently running a Radeon 4870 its fairly old but until not has never given me any problems and played everything I required. I have it overlocked and I was running around with about 40FPS. Wasnt enough for me though so in preparation for launch and upcoming betas I would like to purchase a new one. i was wondering if any one had any suggestions on what card to pick up. Im looking between the 200-250 price range preferably ATI I have never been a Nvid fan. Thanks ! :]

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nachielous View Post
    Last BETA I wasnt really able to play Rift on max settings Im currently running a Radeon 4870 its fairly old but until not has never given me any problems and played everything I required. I have it overlocked and I was running around with about 40FPS. Wasnt enough for me though so in preparation for launch and upcoming betas I would like to purchase a new one. i was wondering if any one had any suggestions on what card to pick up. Im looking between the 200-250 price range preferably ATI I have never been a Nvid fan. Thanks ! :]
    you need to tell us your processor for better help
    i don't know about us prices but i would imagine a 460 or 6850.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara xaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nachielous View Post
    Last BETA I wasnt really able to play Rift on max settings Im currently running a Radeon 4870 its fairly old but until not has never given me any problems and played everything I required. I have it overlocked and I was running around with about 40FPS. Wasnt enough for me though so in preparation for launch and upcoming betas I would like to purchase a new one. i was wondering if any one had any suggestions on what card to pick up. Im looking between the 200-250 price range preferably ATI I have never been a Nvid fan. Thanks ! :]
    get a 6870 or a 5870

  4. #4
    Ascendant rabb1t's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    get a 6870 or a 5870
    Not really comparable. The 6870 runs like a 5830 more than a 5850, and the 6850 like a 5770. The 69xx cards due in a week are really the replacement for the 5870 and 5850.

    Honestly I'd first recommend not using what is likely an unoptimzed code and extreme player load to judge your system. It may be a fair representation of launch conditions, but it isn't for regular play.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers


  5. #5
    Ascendant Corwynn_Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Honestly I'd first recommend not using what is likely an unoptimzed code and extreme player load to judge your system. It may be a fair representation of launch conditions, but it isn't for regular play.
    There have been indications that performance enhancements are on the way in Beta 2.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

  6. #6
    Ascendant Redius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    I'd actually like a bit of help myself with this. I have the feeling i'm going to need a full on upgrade of my antiquated system before it'll run Rift, and I'd like to get some input as to what y'all think would be a good build for it. Currently I'm running (seriously, don't laugh), VisionTek Radeon x1550 series card, 2gb of ram, and an AMD Athalon 2500, 1.83Gz board.

    Thoughts?

  7. #7
    Ascendant Corwynn_Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    I'd actually like a bit of help myself with this. I have the feeling i'm going to need a full on upgrade of my antiquated system before it'll run Rift, and I'd like to get some input as to what y'all think would be a good build for it. Currently I'm running (seriously, don't laugh), VisionTek Radeon x1550 series card, 2gb of ram, and an AMD Athalon 2500, 1.83Gz board.

    Thoughts?
    I think you should figure out what your budget is, because I'd agree you need a new rig.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Sorry about that system specs:
    2GB of RAM"Going to purchase an additional 6" <<DDR3
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor 3200 Mhz
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Gigabyte 870A- UD3

    Personally I have been looking at the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150497
    Its a pretty inexpensive card and Im sure it should run the game on full settings correct me if i'm wrong

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara xaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Not really comparable. The 6870 runs like a 5830 more than a 5850, and the 6850 like a 5770. The 69xx cards due in a week are really the replacement for the 5870 and 5850.

    Honestly I'd first recommend not using what is likely an unoptimzed code and extreme player load to judge your system. It may be a fair representation of launch conditions, but it isn't for regular play.
    Didn't mean it in terms of comparison of performance. Meant in terms of budget.

    The 68xx series is in the $140-ish zone and the 5870 can be around the $240-ish zone which is $40 above his budget.

    Also

    6870 - 5850
    6850 - 5830

    69xx series will be replacing the 5870 and 5970, not the way you mentioned above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nachielous View Post
    Sorry about that system specs:
    2GB of RAM"Going to purchase an additional 6" <<DDR3
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor 3200 Mhz
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Gigabyte 870A- UD3

    Personally I have been looking at the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150497
    Its a pretty inexpensive card and Im sure it should run the game on full settings correct me if i'm wrong
    I'd get a 6850 instead if that's the card you're looking at.
    Last edited by xaed; 12-11-2010 at 08:48 AM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Corwynn_Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Depends on your resolution and what options you want to turn on. My wife's machine has a better video card and mine is better than hers . . . I still suspect we could get better performance out of better cards.

    Generally what you should do is figure out your budget, and go for what is in that range. That card isn't bad for the price.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

  11. #11
    Ascendant Corwynn_Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Depends on your resolution and what options you want to turn on. My wife's machine has a better video card and mine is better than hers . . . I still suspect we could get better performance out of better cards.

    Generally what you should do is figure out your budget, and go for what is in that range. That card isn't bad for the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    I'd get a 6850 instead if that's the card you're looking at.
    I might be inclined to agree with this.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

  12. #12
    Ascendant Redius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    I'd actually like a bit of help myself with this. I have the feeling i'm going to need a full on upgrade of my antiquated system before it'll run Rift, and I'd like to get some input as to what y'all think would be a good build for it. Currently I'm running (seriously, don't laugh), VisionTek Radeon x1550 series card, 2gb of ram, and an AMD Athalon 2500, 1.83Gz board.

    Thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    I think you should figure out what your budget is, because I'd agree you need a new rig.
    That's the biggest issue; I got laid off a month ago, so I can't drop the big dollars like I'd like to. Figure 500 bucks is probably all i'm gonna be able to find.

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara xaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    That's the biggest issue; I got laid off a month ago, so I can't drop the big dollars like I'd like to. Figure 500 bucks is probably all i'm gonna be able to find.
    $500 can get you a pretty decent rig. I've built rigs for about $300 for budget gamers..

  14. #14
    Ascendant Redius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    $500 can get you a pretty decent rig. I've built rigs for about $300 for budget gamers..
    Details please! I'd love to get a starting point from which to work, sir.....and if I can get it done for 300 bucks, I'm most certainly in favor of that.

    I'd found this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.546618 . At the risk of looking like a noob (it's obviously been ages since I built a system), is this kinda what I should be looking for? Or maybe http://3btech.net/babocospamdp3.html ?
    Last edited by Redius; 12-11-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added link

  15. #15
    Sword of Telara Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England.
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nachielous View Post
    Sorry about that system specs:
    2GB of RAM"Going to purchase an additional 6" <<DDR3
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor 3200 Mhz
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Gigabyte 870A- UD3

    Personally I have been looking at the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150497
    Its a pretty inexpensive card and Im sure it should run the game on full settings correct me if i'm wrong
    Any recent GPU will be bottlenecked by that system, so I can't suggest you a "new" card. But if you're going to pay $170 for a 5830 you might as well pay an extra $30 and get a 5850.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts