+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on paid DLC?

Default Opinions on paid DLC?

Hi Rifters,

I am interested in peoples opinions on this because I just started playing Mass Effect 2 again and can't help feeling like I am playing an incomplete game. It annoys the hell outta me, I am missing a character, items and missions even after having bought the deluxe edition of the game. At the moment I am refusing to pay for any DLC on principle but it's like fighting a losing battle. I can understand them wanting to include bonuses for buying a game new and discourage resale, but selling overpriced content for an already released game is as bad as selling in game items in MMOs for real money in my opinion. I start up Mass Effect 2 and am hit by ads for the parts of my incomplete game on the launcher and the in game menu - these sold for 'Bioware Points' on their website disguising their true cost, it's kinda sickening. They make bestselling games of the year and they sink to this level?

I know I have lost a lot of respect for great developers like Bethesda and Bioware since they have started doing this. They already sell millions of copies why do they need to milk their customers further? Plenty of awesome companies used to release stuff for free as a thankyou for loyal customers but it seems those days are gone. Some of the items and characters they sell are well overpowered too (e.g. Shale for Dragon Age: Origins) and almost feel like paying to cheat in some cases.

Another classic example of DLC gone bad is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This game was overpriced (relative to other games) to start, but on top of a pitifully short single player experience and poor PC multiplayer support they add insult to injury by reselling a couple of badly retextured MW1 maps for $15. Meanwhile a competitor for the online shooter crown Battlefield Bad Company 2 is giving away great new maps for free but has still succumbed to the temptations of selling DLC in some areas. Still BC2 I bought and think is great, while MW2 I refused. Activision, publishers of MW2 is currently considered the epitome of greed in the industry and have done things like sacking the heads of the MW2 development team for trying to get a bigger cut from the 20 million sales of MW2.

Some might compare DLC to expansion packs but expansions are a different kettle of fish IMO since they usually contain substantial new content at a fair price and get properly revewed generally speaking - and I've just played through a great one for Dawn of War 2 which I felt was really worth the money. Another great example of expansion packs is the Liberty City Stories pack for GTA IV - which I got for 10 on Steam, contains 2 full length games pretty much and does not even require the original game to play! That is great value right there.

But it saddens me DLC does not seem to be going away but getting worse... are people really paying for this crap just so they feel like they aren't missing out? Don't they realise they are enouraging publishers to sell half a game then the rest in little overpriced bits? Man stuff like this makes me feel like going back to pirating games like I did on the Amiga as a penniless teen.

And the worst part of it all is the gaming media seems to be welcoming this phenomenon. Hmm I wonder the reasons behind that...
    Last edited by Skorne; 06-29-2010 at 03:26 AM.

I am willing to pay for games
    I am willing to pay monthly fees for MMO's
    I am willing to pay for expansions
    I am willing to pay for fluff in itemshops.

I am NOT willing to pay per dungeons or for unlockable portions for a game extra classes and such.

If I buy a game today I want to have the entire game not 2 weeks from now having to buy something for an additional 10 dollar. Heck if they made it 60 instead of 50 in the first place i'd be happy. But this pay for what you use I do not like at all.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

I do not think it is fair to dismiss all paid downloadable content immediately. I do agree, however, that the majority of it is overpriced for what it offers, relative to initial game purchase.

For example, if a game is sold for $60, and offers some DLC for $15, which is 25% of the initial cost, it should offer value roughly in proportion to that. I would not even say it has to offer 25% as much content, but developers seem to often add 5%, at best, which is terrible. A good example, which was already mentioned, is a map pack that offers a few maps for $10 or more.

Regardless, DLC seems to be a model that is catching on and shows no signs of slowing down. I think the impetus is on consumers to be wise about their purchases. Presently, consumers have shown that they will pay for it, so I suppose one cannot blame the publishers and developers for the pricing and value - if the market can bear it, that is how it will be priced. If we do not like it, the only solutions are to not buy it, or overthrow capitalism and a free market economy.

There are several benefits to DLC, though. The most obvious is that it is a chance to offer more frequent content updates. Whereas an expansion can take anywhere from three months to over a year to be released, DLC can be done within one month.

Perhaps and overly idealistic view is that the folks paying for the premium content that surely yields a handsome profit fund development for future games at no cost to the rest. By this I mean that the legion of fans paying $15 for some maps are contributing resources that keep a developer and publisher profitable and go towards making more games. Or maybe the money just goes to paying shareholder dividends.

If the DLC is as big as "Burning Crusade" or "Wotlk" then I dont minda paying money for such thing. However if DLC is a new area on the map, or new instance, then I "Might" not buy it.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I am willing to pay for games
    I am willing to pay monthly fees for MMO's
    I am willing to pay for expansions
    I am willing to pay for fluff in itemshops.

I am NOT willing to pay per dungeons or for unlockable portions for a game extra classes and such.

If I buy a game today I want to have the entire game not 2 weeks from now having to buy something for an additional 10 dollar. Heck if they made it 60 instead of 50 in the first place i'd be happy. But this pay for what you use I do not like at all.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Agreed,

Look at the game packs fro Modern Warfare,

While they are like expansions all my friends that have them hated having to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sornin View Post
    I do not think it is fair to dismiss all paid downloadable content immediately. I do agree, however, that the majority of it is overpriced for what it offers, relative to initial game purchase.

For example, if a game is sold for $60, and offers some DLC for $15, which is 25% of the initial cost, it should offer value roughly in proportion to that. I would not even say it has to offer 25% as much content, but developers seem to often add 5%, at best, which is terrible. A good example, which was already mentioned, is a map pack that offers a few maps for $10 or more.

Regardless, DLC seems to be a model that is catching on and shows no signs of slowing down. I think the impetus is on consumers to be wise about their purchases. Presently, consumers have shown that they will pay for it, so I suppose one cannot blame the publishers and developers for the pricing and value - if the market can bear it, that is how it will be priced. If we do not like it, the only solutions are to not buy it, or overthrow capitalism and a free market economy.

There are several benefits to DLC, though. The most obvious is that it is a chance to offer more frequent content updates. Whereas an expansion can take anywhere from three months to over a year to be released, DLC can be done within one month.

Perhaps and overly idealistic view is that the folks paying for the premium content that surely yields a handsome profit fund development for future games at no cost to the rest. By this I mean that the legion of fans paying $15 for some maps are contributing resources that keep a developer and publisher profitable and go towards making more games. Or maybe the money just goes to paying shareholder dividends.
    Yes but one that is console games that are doing that not MMO/Computer games.

But when people buy a game they do not want to every couple of months pay for new content when they are already paying for a subscription.

Yes the DLC model is working but console games do not have a subscription ($50 for a year of XBOX live is not the same) which is why the DLC costs money so as to pay for the work it took to develop that content.

Paying a subscription is the cost for that new content that comes out.

Which is what Guild Wars model is for an MMO,
    Last edited by Evereghalo; 07-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.

I'm sort of split on the subject of DLC: If the DLC is a quality content such as the General Knoxx DLC for Borderlands which offered me roughly 10 hours of new content (which is more than some of the full priced single player games these days do) I have no problems paying for it.

As far as ME2 DLC goes, I think Bioware has been reasonably nice as far as providing free DLC's go (for those who actually bought the game as new copy) and the Overlord DLC was decent as well since it added a couple of hours lasting mission that is among the best ones in ME2. Of course, there are those appearance pack DLC's and alike which are a complete joke - but I don't see them doing anything for my gameplay experience and as a customer I obviously vote with my wallet (by not purchasing them).

The point being, that if the DLC actually offers a reasonable amount of quality content that has been developed after the released I don't really see it as a bad thing.

However, if a DLC lasts only 30 mins and they expect me to pay 5 dollars for it - then thats a no go really. That aside, there is one particular phenomenon of DLC that really makes me despise the companies that do it and that is charging for the "DLC" that is already on your game disc/installed game but requires a purchased key to unlock.

But all in all, I don't really see all of DLC in negative light and unless it is something that should be in the game already (as in on the disc/install) I don't see it as something that takes away from my gaming experience, but instead as a potential way to expand it.

I wouldn't pay for DLC. Expansions yes, but that's the one good thing that modern MMOs have brought to the table, free updating of content.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Modern Warfare 2 DLC is BS! 11 for 5 maps..2 of which are copied from CoD4. ****! I hate it as a player myself on PC.

If, on the other hand, its more like an expansion or a bigger DLC (I.E. in RIFT's case, not just a new dungeon) then thats acceptable.
    But 1 new dungeon or whatever to pay for on-top of a monthly fee is poor.
    GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

SNOOKS, JUDDERMAN, EILBECK

I really don't like the "microtransaction" models, regardless of what form they take. The idea of nickel and diming customers in order to squeeze more money out of their wallets because they are too dumb to add up the charges just sucks.

I'll pay a box fee for the game, a subscription fee for server support and fixes / small updates, and I'll pay for expansions that contain close to a new game's worth of content. Anything beyond that just makes me feel like the company is cheaping out and offering me less for more money.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Subscriptions and expansions pwn, DLC suck.
    Nuff said.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Telaran

I wont be buying any DLC for any game I have to pay for a box copy and a monthly fee.
    We Are The Defiant

Expansion (Like wow had) yes
    1 Dungeon DLC NO
    Paying to unlock dungeons or raids again NO

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLungs View Post
    I wont be buying any DLC for any game I have to pay for a box copy and a monthly fee.
    This.
    DLC is a joke.

1/4 the cost at 1/10 the content of the old "expansion pack" which we rarely see these days outside of the MMO space
    But But it worked in Dev!

The 3 stages of MT;

1) ACCEPTABLE: DLC for zones and playable content,

2) TOLERABLE: Game services,

3) UNACCEPTABLE: Any in game reward that would have been previously gained through playing the damn game but now are being sold as 'extras' to the weak and gullible.

Fans of 3) please just go and use http://www.imvu.com/ and leave our GAMES alone.

Play to Achieve games > Pay to Achieve virtual market spaces with attached chat rooms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast