+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a new computer!

Default Help me buy a new computer!

The title says it all! Here are some facts that might help:

1. I am not looking to build my own computer. Too many things can go wrong, especially because I have never built a computer myself before. I know how to modify/add hardware, but as for actually putting everything together at the same time... no thanks. <.<

2. My MAXIMUM price *including* monitor, keyboard, and other peripherals is somewhere in the range of $1250, give or take $100. I already have a headset, I already have a mouse, and I *can* use my current keyboard but I would prefer not to. I do not need a printer. So I guess what I'm saying is, I can skimp on the peripherals to get a better tower. However, I need a new monitor. Package prices are a bonus.

3. This is obviously going to be a gaming computer, so suggestions should either include a computer fit for MMO gaming on at least medium to high settings (I don't need omgextremebbq performance) or a computer that I can easily buy a new vid card/whatever and just stick that in (within the confines of my price range).

So I'm asking you guys because although I'm "okay" at checking out computer specs and looking at prices myself, I don't trust myself enough to have my choice alone weigh on that kind of money. I'm not a hardware expert... I just play the games, and upgrade parts when needed (that's easy enough). Thanks for all your help in advance! If more information is needed, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'd suggesting checking out Rabb1t's site, it should help you out with any questions you may have.

http://www.rabb1t.com/mypc.html

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

Thanks luci! A lot of great information there. Unfortunately it doesn't really tell me about any good towers to buy/start with. Like I said I'm not going to building a computer so it'd be nice if someone can pitch in and say "Hey, this is a good tower to buy, all it needs is a better video card and you're good to go!" Etc. Then I can look at rabb1t's site and pick my new video card.

I suppose I could just buy a tower with some of the 4 or 5-star components listed already in it and then do the video card thing. I dunno, I suck at this. :P I'm all nervous spending this much money.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

My boyfriend has had his for about 2 1/2 years and it's as sturdy as an ox. You can tell whoever put it together actually cared to do it right. For some all you'll need is a OS and some come with it. Since they released the recommended spec's for Rift I'd take a good look at them.

www.newegg.com

I got my 226BW Samsung there back in umm '06? Very nice monitor. I've also purchased a graphics card, tower, motherboard, and hard drive through them. For some products you can get their added warranty or just stick with the manufacturer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiele View Post
    New Egg has great customer service and fast RMA should something go wrong. I've used them and recommended them for years.

How does this sound, guys? Just in my price range including shipping, and it looks really good to me. (from Cyberpowerpc)

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Quote Originally Posted by Alyvrae View Post
    How does this sound, guys? Just in my price range including shipping, and it looks really good to me. (from Cyberpowerpc)

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
    Looks pretty good imo, lemme see if I can get rabb1ts opinion too, I think he'd have to agree

ps is this the dragon 8000?

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

Yes it is luci. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alyvrae View Post

Diz thread, I been summoned to it.

Checking what you'd get for your price range on my system's page you'd be lookign at around a rank 2 system. Those parts are fairly comparable. However, there is one major potential stumbling block I see with that motherboard; it's second PCEe x16 slot is running at 4x, meaning this really isn't a dual GPU capable system. Even if you had the power to run it (I don't see a PSU rating in there), you'd never be able to run Crossfire. (There is also a note that the second PCIe x16 shares bandwidth with the PCIe slots, so you can only use one or the other I guess.)

So... if you only ever plan to use 1 GPU, only ever plan to use the PCI slots OR the PCIe x16 4x (say for a sound card in either case) then you are fine. If you want the possibility for Crossfire or to run multiple other cards you'll need something else.

Cyberpower also has mixed reviews. Both they and Ibuypower have lots of systems to choose from on NewEgg and other sites, but I've seen people make both good and bad comments.

You may want to see if there is anyone on the board you think may be trustworthy in your local area, or if there is a shop that would assemble a system for you (some stores offer that service for a fee). The one good thing about building yourself (or having someone build for you either who is a friend or at a shop) is that you have 100% control over parts choice. Things like this which may be hidden to a buyer who doesn't search for individual parts and what they can/can't do would have no clue about the limitations until it was 'too late'.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I'm easy to please. I'll probably be running only one video card, so if you think that it's fine given I'm sticking with just one, then I think I'll go for it.

Like I said, I don't need ultra performance or a complicated system for it to work for me. So reading what rabb1t said, I think I'll go with this one.

So, woot! You guys have been very helpful, and I really appreciate it. I should be able to buy this baby sometime this weekend or early next week. Unless anyone can point out any fatal flaws in the hardware other than the lack of support for two video cards, I'll consider this a sealed deal.

The only disadvantage with single GPU is that it's often a much higher investment when you want to upgrade. With the potential for dual card you can always add that onto your gift lists and get gifted a second card as prices go lower and lower and get a decent boost for teh free. It's a nice option for those who may not quite have as much up-front monies to spend on things.

I'd recommend though you look at Eyefinity for upgrades first.
    Last edited by rabb1t; 12-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    The only disadvantage with single GPU is that it's often a much higher investment when you want to upgrade. With the potential for dual card you can always add that onto your gift lists and get gifted a second card as prices go lower and lower and get a decent boost for teh free. It's a nice option for those who may not quite have as much up-front monies to spend on things.

I'd recommend though you look at Eyefinity for upgrades first.
    Part of the reason I am sticking with my older Asus P5N-D is because it is a dual pcie x16 board. Both slots are x16 and if memory serves me correctly, they do not share bandwidth so its a true sli board even if its a little outdated. To get true sli boards like that now you have to spend close to if not over $200 just for the board. I think I paid $90 for my P5N-D 2 years ago :-) I may not run SLI now, but atleast I have some room to in the future if I ever have the money to buy a pair of gtx460's or higher :-P

The main reason ofcorse for me sticking with my older tech is simple, just dont have the money to upgrade nor will I for quite some time :-P
    Last edited by dallammarr; 12-09-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dallammarr View Post
    Part of the reason I am sticking with my older Asus P5N-D is because it is a dual pcie x16 board. Both slots are x16 and if memory serves me correctly, they do not share bandwidth so its a true sli board even if its a little outdated.
    Well, you don't need full 16x for both. Multiple reviews show that there is only like 5% difference between full dual 16x and dual 8x. There just isn't a bandwidth saturation high enough to really need it.

But yeah, there are lots of boards out there, and I've no idea why, that are only 4x in the second full slot. You have to 'read the fine print' sometimes on motherboards with the current generation.

I'm gon be buyin my new computer soon, aiming around $2500-$3000 price range

Im gonna try out one of them solid state hard drives, they seem pretty wicked. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

Here's the full "detailed" version of what the computer will have in it. Reading over it, it looks like it has support for Crossfire/another video card? I'm sorry, I wasn't kidding when I said I suck at this, so you might have to explain it to me.

Code:
    *BASE_PRICE: [+939]
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
    CAS: Xion Predator 970 Gaming Series Mid Tower Case w/ 2 External Removable HDD Bays
    CASUPGRADE: None
    CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: None
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    FA_HDD: None
    FAN: NZXT Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
    FLASHMEDIA: None
    FLOPPY: None
    FREEGAME_VC02: None
    GLASSES: None
    HDD2: None
    IEEE_CARD: None
    KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    LANSURGE: None
    MB_ADDON: None
    MONITOR: 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X226W 5ms (Viewable 21.5 inch) LCD (Black Color) w/ Built-in D-Sub & DVI Input [+159]
    MONITOR2: None
    MONITOR3: None
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
    POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
    RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
    TEMP: None
    TVRC: None
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    USBFLASH: None
    USBHD: None
    USBX: None
    VC_PHYSX: None
    VIDEO2: None
    VIDEO3: None
    WNC: None
    _PRICE: (+1117)
    _view_: d

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast