+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are casual gamers becoming a larger group than earlier?

Default Are casual gamers becoming a larger group than earlier?

I was just thinking that a lot gamers are growing up getting married, having kids - but we are still gaming unlike our parents (my self being 27 years old married with kids).
    Compared to 10 years ago, the average MMO gamer were younger - and had loads of time to game everyday.

By casual I mean time-wise - that we cannot commit ourselves to hours of gaming everyday.

Also MMOs are becoming more acceptible, something everyone is doing - maybe that was one of the only good things WoW did for gaming
    Last edited by Myril; 12-08-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Rift Master

Yep, in mmo games though 'casual' means something different to me. The target for many mmo's these days is the first generation of mmoers who have now grown up, got kids and most importantly got money. Because of thisthey mighto nly be able to play an hour or half an hour a night so you have to make that a rewarding amount of time to play. This is why the whole 'make death penalties insane' and 'make it take 2 years to get to level cap' people completly miss the point

I highly doubt they are higher than the 90% of players figure I heard quoted once. I find it hard to believe it's over 85% myself. No, I don't think the number is higher, though I do think they are more vocal and noticed than before.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Rift Master

Unfortunately the 'hardcore' crowd are still the most vocal, thus think their most important

Heh, the casual crowd has always been bigger.

People joke about hardcore Koreans, but the whole reason the pay-per-hour option exists is because it fits perfectly into Oriental lifestyle where cyber cafes are abundant.

Anyway, that was just an aside.

Yes, the casual market is bigger.

However, cyberdine's post has me wondering if the casual market is only bigger because all of us are basically becoming said market. I'm not sure it'd go over well if I went into the Old School vs New School threads and called everyone casual, lol. But it's interesting to think about.

I was 14 when I started playing EQ.

Waaaaaaaaay more time to be hardcore than now, at 26.

When it comes to MMOs though, those who are most vocal, are almost always the minority.

The majority don't even visit the forums, they just play the game.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

Telaran

I've been playing MMO's for a very long time and while I no longer play nearly as much as I used to, I still consider myself an avid game player.

I'm not hardcore (depending what your definition is) and consider myself casual these days.

I do believe as we mature, our likes change, what we find of interest changes and most importantly what we choose to spend our money on changes significantly.

Many friends who I played with 20 something years ago haven't played an MMO in about that many years. I notice however, the new people I meet tend to be in the over 30 crowd which says a lot to me about the demographic nature of mmo's.

It also says a lot to me about the types of games and players I am willing to put up with these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowjack View Post
    The majority don't even visit the forums, they just play the game.
    Yap. Back a few years ago I did a super informal survey of peeps across like 3 different games and found that less than 15% of peeps I asked had EVER visited a site related to a game of any kind (forums, hint site, database, etc.) Pretty much peeps just play and don't bother going to talk about the game.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

And they won't really care to tell a company why they like something or why they don't. They'll just.. leave. Forums can be a cesspool, and QQ can drown out so much.. but its things like this that do allow developers to at least have an IDEA what players want and don't want. Too much money at stake otherwise.

There will always be a large porportion of casuals simply based on what casual means, someone who isnt focused on a specific interest or hobby.

There will always be fewer nuclear physicist's then there are people who have taken a physics class in college. There will always be fewer NFL players then there are people who play football in their backyard. There will always be fewer olympic athletes then there are athletes.

Note that this doesnt keep us from rewarding those people who get very good at a certain activity greater than anyone who just happens to have a marginal interest in that activity.

In almost every instance people who rise to a high level of accomplishment through time and effort in any particular activity (regardless of whether it has any real world value: see sports) are generally respected by other people who are casually interested in that activity.

Then we look at gamer culture.

Casual players playing MMO's is a good thing. Casuals with a sense of entitlement destroy games.
    Last edited by Taldier; 12-08-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    - Lord Taldier

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
    - Nietzsche

+ Reply to Thread