+ Reply to Thread

Thread: favorite vanguard mob

Default favorite vanguard mob

List your favorite VG mob/mobs
    Mine would had to have been Varking. I might be in the minority on this but the amount of detail and concentration it took to learn the fight was very challenging and most everyone could not sleep thru this mob, every person had to pay attention and do there job or there was a very good chance of a wipe. Of course once you learned the encounter it became a whole lot easier, but still had to be on your toes and pay attention. His loot table was horrendous for the difficulty of the encounter. Anyway that's my favorite, list yours. DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadden View Post
    List your favorite VG mob/mobs
    Mine would had to have been Varking. I might be in the minority on this but the amount of detail and concentration it took to learn the fight was very challenging and most everyone could not sleep thru this mob, every person had to pay attention and do there job or there was a very good chance of a wipe. Of course once you learned the encounter it became a whole lot easier, but still had to be on your toes and pay attention. His loot table was horrendous for the difficulty of the encounter. Anyway that's my favorite, list yours. DO IT.
    Kota V1 & Core V1
    Most of the same reasoning you used, it was a team fight and responability was split between all archtypes

Nimaa
    Not counting the bugs and some luck factors in the fight this was BY FAR the best healer fight i've encountered ever. Especially as a BMG there was nothing more fun than searching for crits and healing your group. One second distraction and you and your group would have died.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Of raid mobs probably Shiver as it was fun to beat him the first time.

I hated Varking. The first time we killed him when he was first placed into game, the fight took over 40 minutes. At that time the mechanics were a bit different and he could regain health back up to full when healed by healing mobs and would then repop mobs again when you went past the % hurdles a 2nd time. Forgive my memory of the fight mechanics are hazy other than that I hated it. I hated that fight with a passion. Over 40 minutes of healing in a heal chain. Ouch. I think I was numb by the time the mob was dead.

For non raid mobs. I really liked the little mini dungeon with Chathe and one of the other gryphon mobs I believe his name was something like Stryfe McCloud. It was the fight where a herd of charging gryphons would run through the area every 60 seconds booting anyone in the air and causing great damage. Back before they nerfed the fight there was a big 8-12k hit every 30 seconds on the tank on this fight which made it a much more precise and difficult encounter.

Put me down for Sample Named Mob.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Slightly off topic - but how is Vanguard? Its one of the few current MMO's I haven't tried and I'm not sure why it's never been on my radar.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

Hands down Shiver. That entire encounter was a ton of fun (unless you bugged out one of the adds).

Also, there is a special place in my heart for the original Akande. Killing him without exploits in his original form made me feel like a million bucks. Just needed a drunken monk to unleash a fury from hell.

Oh ya forgot about Akande, with so many wipes to him, beating him the first time was proly the most excited I was about beating any mob in VG.

Quote Originally Posted by Butr0sButr0s View Post
    Slightly off topic - but how is Vanguard? Its one of the few current MMO's I haven't tried and I'm not sure why it's never been on my radar.
    Vanguard is the best MMO most people will never play.

In July they are merging the last 4 servers into one. The two current U.S. PvE servers have decent populations, but the European server has a low pop and the PvP server is all but empty. So the new single server should have a good population.

The problem is that SOE leadership prefers to ignore Vanguard in favor of EQ2, and they continue to make EQ2 into a more of a WoW-Clone with every update.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Soulwalker

Default hmm

I would say all the OT mobs Akande, Raffen, Shorul were all pretty fun but at lvl 50 when you finally got your first akande kill man that was so much fun

Akande wasn't that bad. Just had to stack 1 super strong tank, 1 super strong healer, 1 leet bard, 2 strong DPS and the last spot for whoever needed the update. Actually I don't remember if we used 1 or 2 tanks to farm it...it's been too long. I loved the challenge level of the original Griffon quest (minus Buggyborne Abomination).

Strife was pretty ******ed in his normal state if you didn't use two healers. On our first kill I wore full healing gear as a paladin and just helped heal the group to get it done.

Shiver was excellent encounter design. Core was also great stuff. Fengrot was fun minus the BugCrush mechanic. Kotasoth was fun, aside from the first two weeks of zone crashing at 50%.

Least favorite was probably Shylosia. I'm not a fan of any fight that forcibly makes you slow down what you're doing.
    Last edited by Barar; 06-28-2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Barar Tomte

For me, it's Shiver. I remember the first time I killed it and, it felt like truly an accomplishment. All this was done in swamp with some entrance/marina gear thrown in. Those were the fun days of raiding in VG.

I can understand how you feel about Varking, Jadden, but being a rogue, he wasn't really my cup of tea.

+ Reply to Thread