+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ZAM Rift - Suspicious activity?

Banned

Default ZAM Rift - Suspicious activity?

Every once in a while when I browse these forums I'll pick up hints here and there that the site ZAM Rift (the one everyone uses for its soul calculator) is up to no good/in league with plat sellers/account hacking. i've used the soul calculator LOTS of times but after reading a couple posts from different people in different threads im feeling scared for my account and staying away from ZAM Rift. So, is this true?

ps are there any soul calcs out there that are safe?

Plane Touched

Just browsing their home page I got a popup and my AV triggered and detected multiple malware attempts at my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by tuchmaipp View Post
    Every once in a while when I browse these forums I'll pick up hints here and there that the site ZAM Rift (the one everyone uses for its soul calculator) is up to no good/in league with plat sellers/account hacking. i've used the soul calculator LOTS of times but after reading a couple posts from different people in different threads im feeling scared for my account and staying away from ZAM Rift. So, is this true?

ps are there any soul calcs out there that are safe?
    I believe ZAM is run by the same people that run WoWhead. I've had alerts pop up on wowhead with some of their advertising by AVG and it denied me access to the website saying that something bad was detected. If all of this is true, I wouldn't be entirely sure that Zam soul calc is safe right now.

Noo

Yeah I don't understand why TRION doesn't have a soul calculator on here. It is ridiculous that we have to go to third party site.

Rift Disciple

Zam is a very respectable site and has been around since Everquest 1

They may have an idiot in marketing and they may have posted a ad on their site that has an injectable but i assure you it's not intentional. I would contact Zam and Trion.

So what real evidence do you have to suggest that ZAM is in league with the plat sellers?

Please stop those silly rumors.

ZAM is not owned by goldsellers and yes they are owned by the same people that owns wowhead.

There might be bad ads but the chances of that happening is very low, and if it should happen report it to the site, they are as much against it as you are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Helmholz View Post
    So what real evidence do you have to suggest that ZAM is in league with the plat sellers?
    i dont. i'm asking for some.

Wasn't Wowhead, Zam network, and Allakazam(sp?) bought by the same individual(s) who has a strong tie to RMT? I'll have to do some searching but I'm pretty sure that was the news a couple years or so ago.

After some legal issues where a lot of RMT dirt came out this same guy started buying up legit gaming sites for whatever reason. A search on Zam and RMT should bring it up if I'm remembering right.

ZAM isn't listed as a suspicious site nor does it contain bad Javascripts or questionable content

Source:

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/?scan=rift.zam.com
    Total Artifact Collection turn-ins: 182/300

Co-Leader of Sanatorium on Millrush.
    KoS: Chaotic Destiny and General Goods

Quote Originally Posted by tuchmaipp View Post
    i dont. i'm asking for some.
    I really don't think there is any, sorry!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Helmholz View Post
    I really don't think there is any, sorry!
    don't get me wrong, i love the soul calculator and would like to continue using it. but these days when i browse general theres usually a few "getting hacked right now!" or "security tips" or "got hacked what do" threads on the first page and it makes me uncomfortable. it's better to prevent than to deal with problems.

Soulwalker

If zam is owned by those who own wowhead....that would be curse the big addon site for wow.
    And yes many have got keyloggers from curse.

Plane Walker

Just avoid it, no sense in taking chances. I've recommended that advice to people in our guild and it makes sense for now.
    "Ye have the stench of WoW about ya boy! It's the foul odor of sour e-peen and DPS parsers! Cleanse yourself first and then we'll talk!"

Ascendant

ZAM is about as clean as it gets. As fansites go, they have a rather large staff whose job it is in part to keep the site secure.

Years ago, the company that owned IGE (Affinity Media) bought the site that was called Allahkazam at the time, changed it to ZAM Networks and merged it with Thottbot and Wowhead. Affinity Media is an umbrella company, not a gold selling company. It just so happened that this company owned both a gold selling company and ZAM. Affinity Media sold of their ownership interest in IGE years ago. There is no longer any connection between ZAM and IGE and any previous connection was tenuous at best. ZAM staff never supported gold selling and routinely ban people for advertising to sell MMO currency in their forums. ZAM staffers are gamers just like the rest of us. They dislike gold farmers/sellers just as much as any of us.

This stuff is old news. The only people who still think ZAM is connected to gold selling are the conspiracy theorists who will cling to a delicious conspiracy long beyond the point where it's valid or relevant. If your anti-virus/spyware/malware suite is giving you alerts about an ad that is trying to display while you're viewing a ZAM page, there are staff you can report your issue to at ZAM who are extremely quick to look into things and make sure their site is secure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast