+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift for Mac

Soulwalker

Default Rift for Mac

My whole family uses mac, we have always used a mac, i can't just go out and buy a PC, which I probably end up will. Currently I am using bootcamp on my MBP and its kinda buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daricthebear View Post
    My whole family uses mac, we have always used a mac, i can't just go out and buy a PC, which I probably end up will. Currently I am using bootcamp on my MBP and its kinda buggy.
    sucks to be you maybe change your family and get yourself a real computer.

PC are cheap this days and they not just made of white plastic like the mac, they cant even be upgraded imagine that
    Last edited by Punizher; 03-05-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Soulwalker

Bootcamp is working ok for me. No bugs to speak of but my fps drops really low sometimes with no rhyme or reason.

I'm sure a native MAC version would make much better use of the macs resources.
    Last edited by hathaan; 03-05-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Soulwalker

Moral of the story, if you want to play games, buy a PC

any of you mac users tried Crossover Games with rift?

my wife is a video editor and she uses a mac. we were considering trying that out but saw some bad feedback in connecting to the servers using crossover games.

Soulwalker

What could be your problem? I am running Rift just fine in Windows 7 with med-high settings on my 2009 MBP.

I think Rift is supposed to run well in WINE, so maybe you could try that?

Soulwalker

As for your claim Hathaan I am about certain a Mac will not run games better through OSX. I have read in several places this has to do with Direct X being more suited for gaming than Open GL. I had Starcraft 2 running in OSX before I acquired a copy of 7. The game would not run well on anything over medium settings. I installed 7 and now I'm running everything on high and ultra. Hope this gives you some insight.
    Last edited by Psycon; 03-05-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MochaFlux View Post
    I think Rift is supposed to run well in WINE, so maybe you could try that?
    cool, thats basically what crossover games is. Its basically wine that runs within mac OS designed specifically to install and play windows games. I do know that there are certain connection issues with this though.

Soulwalker

My usb ports on my logic board went out, i have no mouse. So right clicking on this trackpad is a pian.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo_Papa View Post
    any of you mac users tried Crossover Games with rift?

my wife is a video editor and she uses a mac. we were considering trying that out but saw some bad feedback in connecting to the servers using crossover games.
    Codeweavers is currently squashing this bug, but it isn't squashed yet.
    Last edited by Alethos; 03-07-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alethos View Post
    Codeweavers is currently squashing this bug, but it isn't squashed yet.
    I bootcamp, but it's a pain everytime i want to pay. im willing to try WINE.. what is this and where can i get it?

Crossover games is basically a pre-packaged gaming version of Wine for Mac. If you're not familiar with emulation and Wine, then you probably want to stick with them.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

The plain Wine for MacOS page is here:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

This bug currently exists in both COG and plain Wine under OS X.

See here for details:

https://www1.codeweavers.com/compati...m=1;msg=102521

the relevant bits:

re: *Please Note* -- Connection issues with this title with OSX
    Date: 2011-03-04 18:06
    Hi folks,

The following was posted to the advocates forum a number of hours ago...

Aric Stewart Posted:
    I just finished up some work on Rift. It has to do with how the mac handles sendmsg with a 0 length message (succeeds on windows and linux but fails on mac)

A patch is pending in winehq which gets Rift working fine. I am unsure if the other games you have placed with Rift have the same issues. If you generate a +winsock log search for the string "too long"

if you find some errors stating "Message too long" then it is the same issue and will be fixed when the Rift fix gets in. Otherwise it is an unrelated issue that will take more investigation.

-aric

The 'other games' Aric mentions above, refers to other win32 apps having connection issues
    on the Mac, so if you have any other win32 having similar problems in OSX, you should try
    grabbing a debuglog to see if it's the same issue - there is light at the end of yon tunnel...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Alethos; 03-07-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Soulwalker

Rift Utilizes the .net framework a lot, so I would get rid of any non-windows thoughts you have.

On another note, if you can get it to work on Wine, tell me how, because I would love to install it on my Linux partition...

It's known to work well on COG under Linux. So that means that it will work equally well under plain Wine, so long as you know the right winetricks.

https://www1.codeweavers.com/compati...e/?app_id=8390

see also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Slack View Post
    It's true ;) I've been playing all the beta events on my Slackware Linux machine in Wine 1.3+. It's my plan for release to play it in cxgames. You could try building wine from source if apt isn't letting you get the version your after, but I've not spent much time customizing packages with apt.

from

http://forums.riftgame.com/newreply....eply&p=1094907

Not sure if .NET is needed for Rift or not--I set up a new bottle for it and didn't need to seem to need .NET--but I suppose it would be provided through Mono? Or maybe just obtaining the needed DLLs?
    /shrug, doesn't matter much to me. It works. Once the above fix is patched in, we should be good to go on OS X as well.

Of course, bare metal performance will be superior.
    Last edited by Alethos; 03-07-2011 at 07:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast