+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you a "Perfectionist"?

Default Are you a "Perfectionist"?

I have to admit that one of the things that I enjoy most in ANY game, are achievements! I just LOVE when I open my achievements page, and see [100% - Complete] Let me give few examples. Bought AvP the day it was released [Actually I preordered it...] so after 100 hours of gameplay I get ALL 50 achievements, that was a bloody bliss, as I struggled to get each and every one of them, and it WAS NOT EASY! I didnt stop playing the game after I got them, still enjoyed it for total of 160 hours or so, untill community became horrible, then I just gave up, although play single player every now and then. Left 4 Dead. 63 achievements. 160 hrs of gaming to get all of them, WHILE I was having fun. Total number of hours played = 291. Still play and enjoy it. [Moved on to Left 4 Dead 2, so dont play L4D1 that often!] World of Warcraft... Started in WoTLK with my "Current" warlock. There was something like few thousand achievements to do... Did about 3/5th of them, then just gave up, too time consuming and not much fun... However if I would of started as soon as WoW was released I am sure I would have ALL achievements! ;) So I pretty much can call myself a "Perfectionist", I strive to get everything perfect... Well apart from my exams...

Now the reason I started this thread, well actually there are two reasons!
    1 - Who else is a perfectionist here?? Hands up!
    2 - As stated in Quote below, there will be Achievements in Rift, and I am really happy!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

The only things I perfect are killing people and Deathpaste. Somewhere along the road I have seemed to combine the two!

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

The one bad thing with achievements in WoW was the wonderful you can't come to X raid unless you have done X raid. You had to have a guild bring you along or you couldn't go a lot of the time. Even after I got the achievements and could go pretty much anywhere I hated they were used to exclude new people. Excluding people just because they haven't done it before is just so selfish. I also agree with you that quite a few of WoW's achievements are less then entertaining to achieve.

So, I hope there are fun achievements in Rift that don't negatively affect the community down the road.

i will never aim to get all achievements (if its like wow)
    if getting all achievements requires a decent amount of time ill do it

I think the correct term would be "completionist". And to answer your question, yes, I am both a perfectionist AND a completionist. I explore everywhere, I do every quest and side mission, I collect all recipes. I hated when WoW added achievements, because it meant I wasn't done yet. Some of them literally take years to do, ugh. I love it and I hate it. No doubt there'll be days in RIFT that I'll dedicate to doing nothing but getting achievements. *Sigh...*

Am I a perfectionist: Yes, do I care about achievements? NO. I am a perfectionist when it comes to optimizing gear and playing my class. I am a perfectionist when I am in a raid force and want things to run as smooth and optimized as possible.

But I can't be fuzzed with fluff or status symbols like achievements.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    The only things I perfect are killing people and Deathpaste. Somewhere along the road I have seemed to combine the two!
    I think you have a flaw in your plan Hanlo. I died around 5 times already from Deathpaste... it just doesn't have the same effect when the guy that ate it is instantaneously ressurected as an undead.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Osias View Post
    The one bad thing with achievements in WoW was the wonderful you can't come to X raid unless you have done X raid. You had to have a guild bring you along or you couldn't go a lot of the time. Even after I got the achievements and could go pretty much anywhere I hated they were used to exclude new people. Excluding people just because they haven't done it before is just so selfish. I also agree with you that quite a few of WoW's achievements are less then entertaining to achieve.

So, I hope there are fun achievements in Rift that don't negatively affect the community down the road.
    This is the only thing I have against an Achievement system.

It should be for personal satisfaction only.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Hands up!

Altho in a different way. I try to make my playstyle perfect. I read up ALOT(Maybe too much) about the class i'm playing, how to play it, tips and trick to do. Anything to make my outcome better. Take WoW for example, not saying I played in the best of guilds, but lots of the raids I struggled to maintain my mana pool, maximize my healing and minimize my overhealing. I usually ended up in the top spot(As a Priest) in the healing meter, with the least overhealing done(Even the pallys with their 1,5 sec flash heal spam ended up below me, while I almost only used 2,5 sec cast greater heal and renew). I close to never used any mana pots, since I was well taught how to keep my manapool up. While many others pops 4-5 mana pots each encounter, I usually used one or two per raid night, most times to ress the dead ones faster.

I always strive to be the best. When I become the best things get dull. But then I just set new goals and keep on struggeling. So I'm not really ever the best, I just target some ppl around me, and when I'm better than them, I choose new ppl to conquer! Mohahaha
    I have to say I'm a bit narcissistic.

I am a perfectionist, but not a completionist. Like Martie, I want my playstyle to be perfect.

In order to achieve that, I take notes. No, I'm not kidding.

Don't make fun

“They say you are to be the greatest hero in a past I’ll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.”

*sticks hand up* Perfectionist and completionist here...sad...but true.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

I am neither a perfectionist or a completionist.As far as achievements go I will get what catches my eye or what I get during the course of the game.Not a big deal to me.

Perfectionist? Not realy. but when i was playing WoW i had to much time on my hands, and had nothing to do when not raiding or pvping, so i mostly ran around doing Achievements just to get higher Achievement Points for no reason.

Perfectionist, not really. Hand up for completionist though. It's why I quit WoW, how dare they take away those raid instances, I had achievements to get in there... and the pets.... They wounded my Completionist Soul... But yeah, pretty much if there's something to keep hunting, I'll keep chasing it = ]

+ Reply to Thread