+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree241Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Team Letter

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default RIFT Team Letter

Note: We actively collected your questions and concerns on the HoT Community Discord and made sure the prioritization matched across platforms so everybody is heard.

Greetings, Ascended!

Thank you all for taking the time to write out your questions regarding Rift and the future we have planned for it. We are also very appreciative of your patience while waiting for a response to these questions. The delay was caused by our recent expansion of the Community Management team and the placement of additional Product Managers on Rift– we assure you that this delay was for the good of the game.

We decided to address your questions and concerns in a team letter crafted by the whole team instead of harshly answering each question separately.

Rift has a special place in our heart and is one of our top games, so we are not surprised that you are curious as to what we have in store for you.

Traditionally, we released large expansions once every 1.5 to 2 years; that is quite a long time to wait between releases. Going forward, we plan to release new dungeons, raids, quests, and levels more quickly, without having to wait for everything to be amassed into one large expansion. This also means that class balancing for PvE and PvP, addressing specific callings, souls, abilities and items, will happen incrementally.

Right now, we also have a few long-term plans for refinements that you’ve been asking for:
    • Daily Calendar Revamp
    • Battle Pass Season 2 (including a quest reroll feature!)
    • Refining the planar fragment system
    • Evaluating the critical chance % for planar fragments

In the meantime, here is what is planned for the near future (next several months) to further improve game play:
    • Call to Action: Unicornalia,
    • Planar Fragment Price Changes
    • Seasonal Events such as Summerfest.
    • We also plan to continue running our Call to Action (CTA) events on a biweekly basis, currently scheduled to run up until Summerfest starts and resume after the seasonal event ends.
    • Reduced costs for the planar fragment system

Our plan for bringing new players into RIFT is by leveraging social media to foster organic growth. To meet this end, we’ve bolstered the RIFT community management team with two additional TBA Community Managers and hired a new Head of Community Management. With the added team members, we will eventually resume regular streams and other actions to draw new players into the game. With the new Head of Community Management taking the reins, improved communication between developers, the Community Managers and the Players is ensured in the future.

Thank you all again for taking the time to write and to communicate your questions and concerns with us, we look forward to continued correspondence with you all.

Your RIFT Team
    Discord: Zyra#0666

Let me start by thanking the team for answering questions albeit still very vaguely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post
    Traditionally, we released large expansions once every 1.5 to 2 years; that is quite a long time to wait between releases. Going forward, we plan to release new dungeons, raids, quests, and levels more quickly, without having to wait for everything to be amassed into one large expansion. This also means that class balancing for PvE and PvP, addressing specific callings, souls, abilities and items, will happen incrementally.
    If the goal is to release content as it's ready then how does the team/company plan to tackle level cap increases in the future? As those typically come with expansion packs.

I appreciate that acknowledgement of the intent to release more dungeons and raids, but outside of the most recent dungeon, we've been stuck with the same 4 dungeons and raids for extremely (Understatement) long periods of time. We need an ETA or confirmation of whether or not a raid will be out in the semi near future. Rift was (as most mmos) designed around raiding at it's core. The game has plenty of other great things to offer outside of that, but it's raiding and the community involved in it that drives the rest of the game. Without it, it starts to fail as you've seen first hand.

[ight now, we also have a few long-term plans for refinements that you’ve been asking for:
    • Daily Calendar Revamp
    Daily Calendar Revamp - This was supposed to be here a long time ago. I understand other priorities come first like making EU shard stable again, but this was supposed to happen even before any of that started.

Refining the planar fragment system - Again, acknowledgement is good, but we've been hearing about this literally for years now only to have it be pushed back and delayed several times. At this point people would rather finish the final raid and move onto a new bracket while leaving the entire fragment system behind.

Our plan for bringing new players into RIFT is by leveraging social media to foster organic growth.
    This goes back to something I said a while back. You can't promote on social media when there's nothing to promote. The vast majority of people who played previously won't come back unless there's real "meat" (so to speak) to the game again. Empty promises (until we actually see them) of revamps and new dungeons/raids aren't going to bring any returning players back or bring in very many new ones. You guys know how brutal it already is on social media with comments from people about how bad the state of the game is and it's hard to blame them at this point.

To meet this end, we’ve bolstered the RIFT community management team with two additional TBA Community Managers and hired a new Head of Community Management. With the added team members, we will eventually resume regular streams and other actions to draw new players into the game. With the new Head of Community Management taking the reins, improved communication between developers, the Community Managers and the Players is ensured in the future.
    I hope to see this sooner rather than later. All in all, this was very underwhelming considering the delayed response time and I hope that if you plan on creating another FAQ in the future that you (not aimed at Zyra, but rather the team at large) actually answer them regardless of harsh the answers are.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 06-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Shadowlander

honestly?
    For all the so called "weekly faq answers" that is as about as vague as it can be. Also it means there is no plans for any new content or class balance anytime soon. Whole lot of nothing, very disappointing.
    Last edited by loqque; 06-19-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Mage

I'll echo the previous sentiments. This was a huge letdown as far as letting us know what's going on. Plus the near term goals are long past due and at this point too late.

-Seasonal events aren't new content. Neither are call to action. Events based around fluff are not at all exciting.

-Dungeons are long past useful and new ones are pointless at this point. Your hardcore players finished them off on their mains back when it took 100 to level up their eternal weapons. That was over a year ago.

-A revamp of the fragment system is a year and a half too late. Most of us have maxed them off on all our toons already.

-The daily calendar revamp isn't a big deal. That's fluff as well. Clicking "take" is all of a 3 second process.

This game needs something for your hardcore players to do. The ones who pay for patron, the ones who offer the most assistance to new players, the ones who post here on the forums and chat in community discords are the most bored and see little reason to play.

The priorities of the Rift team are completely backwards as far as I, and most of the people I communicate with regularly in this community, are concerned.

There's no meat to chew on in this game at all at this point. We're 600 days past when BoS was released and even that was a a huge disappointment. 3 Bosses, click a button to summon each one...

The entire rift community has been asking for balance and new endgame content. This has been ignored.

At this point I'm completely checked out. And when you've lost long time players like me, you're definitely doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Skiye; 06-19-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

We decided to address your questions and concerns in a team letter crafted by the whole team instead of harshly answering each question separately.
    So a whole lot of nothing, again. Allow me to repeat myself, from a post made in response to the team letter from November 8, 2018:

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, but: This letter, in this exact wording, could have been posted within 3 days of gamigo taking over.
    There is literally nothing new in this team letter that actually does anything to assure us that there is a future. Why bother typing so many words if there is nothing to tell?

Rift Chaser

I know this is not really important right now, and many people probably want new content first. I understand this

But it would still be nice if someone could look at "Uncle Stan's Super Secret Pole" and "Lure".

It was very difficult to gain the fishing pole and the lure recipes. A lot of us fished months for the pole recipe and again ca. 1000 casts to find the recipe for the lure. Our effort were rewarded with a very nice feature. We could fished very special items. These were particularly exciting for dimension builders.

At some point, however, the loot table was changed secretly and at the same time the material costs creased. The lure suddenly costs 15 platinum and henceforth the loot ends in useless artifacts and reputation. The disappointment was huge, but was ignored. You can find a lot frustrated posts in the forum history. Now that a whole new team is at work, I want to draw attention to things that were important to us players in former times and I am sure, there would be an positive echo if you undo this negative change.

The other special fishing poles and lures were also devalued and only give gray loot. Really sad.

Leaves a few cookies back and sneaks out unobtrusively.

Telaran

Thank you for the letter/information. While it's not new content, I appreciate having things to do while waiting for new content, and speaking of new, will there be anything new for Summerfest? A better seal, a new mount, a new dim item (even if it's a different coloured starfish)? And even though it doesn't really affect me, thank you in advance for adjusting the prices of fragments, and looking forward to the calendar revamp whenever it happens.
    May the frogue be with you.

Telaran

Default Planar fragment cost reduction

I went to PTS recently after the reduction was announced and I think it still costs way too much, I hovered over one of my level 9 or 10 fragment and the cost was 10 plat. I can see that it saves us some plat but still, and nothing about RNG was mentioned which is absurd and led me to ask on HoT discord channel for the removal of planar fragment after PoA expansion ends. Good job on your team letter though. Sorry to say we can now clearly see the skill of those in charge of Rift.

Plane Touched

Can only echo what previous posters have said.
    For a veteran player like me there is nothing of interest to do more than the twice weekly raid logging.
    All the long-term QoL changes have been requested and promised for years.
    The only positive thing I can see is the expansion of the community team. Clearly they would not do that if there were no "more meaty "long term plans - that would be my hope, anyway.
    However, to entice me (and other veteran players) back to fully commit to Rift (including patron which I cancelled for the first time ever last year) it needs a lot more more than fluff.
    Incremental additions to the game are a good idea, but it needs to make sense (hint: new raid!!!). Like no more new dungeons when there is no reason to do them.
    Last edited by Morykyra; 06-19-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Moiran
    Immortal Tyrants of Gelidra
    Guild Website

for non raiders, there is still only one real weapon to get... and if you can't make the particles, your only other option is to buy one for credits in store..

Perhaps implement some other weapons in game that can be bought with dungeon/xprt/raid currencies and can eventually be upgraded to atleast 600 hit / 2x300 hit?

Rift Disciple

I'm beginning to think I'll be regaling my grandchildren with tales of the long-promised fragment overhaul. Until that system is either fixed (divide tank and DPS/heal fragments, eliminate tiers 5-6, reduce the cost to ONLY cosmic cores since plat generation has been nerfed across the board in SFP) or removed and the stats reallocated to gear, any new players attracted through a social media push will just bounce off the RNG grind wall. It's convoluted and doesn't feel rewarding aside from the very rare jackpot that most casual players will never see.

Something also needs to be done about rewards for mentored dungeons so that 70s will have some motivation to join other queues. Currently new players have very little chance to see any of the vast ocean of dungeon/raid content made back in the days when production values were higher, so they're left to grind IAs or quest alone in an empty world. IAs don't engage the player with lore or introduce them to any of the colorful characters from Rift's long history. It's a shallow experience and does very little to aid player retention. There has to be something to keep any players attracted by 'social media leveraging' here, playing, and having fun in the process. Otherwise it's a complete waste of limited resources and will end up generating more negative feedback than positive.

Onto the other elephant in the room (it's getting crowded): Class balancing. The majority of souls have very little use or synergize poorly with legendary abilities. It's depressing telling new players they're limited to a small handful of very specific specs that leverage broken interactions if they're at all interested in raiding beyond LFR tier, and then further having to explain they won't be remotely competitive until they upgrade their eternal weapon several times. In the last year we've seen a few bug fixes and a couple minor alterations, and now on the horizon we have some questionable PvP changes that are attacking the issue from the wrong direction. It's a big job, but the lower performing souls need to be buffed to some semblance of usefulness. Far too late into the expansion to nerf the outliers (unless you're a fan of epic ragequits).

edit: While you're at it remove IRC requirements for crafting rifts, raid rifts, and dungeons so people have something to grind if nothing else is immediately forthcoming.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 06-19-2019 at 05:13 PM.

I'm gonna take another crack at it, simply because I am now home and can type better than on my phone.

The delay was caused by our recent expansion of the Community Management team and the placement of additional Product Managers on Rift– we assure you that this delay was for the good of the game.
    In what way, exactly, was this good for the game? No, seriously, how was this a good thing? Saying "this is good" is in no way proof that it IS good. It's like me saying green is pretty. It's meaningless. How was this good for the game?

And yet you answered nothing.

Rift has a special place in our heart and is one of our top games, so we are not surprised that you are curious as to what we have in store for you.
    Special place? Seriously? You bought this game and the others less than a year ago. Most people from Gamigo had most likely never played the game before the aquisition. And you're trying to tell us it now has a special place in your hearts?

2 things wrong here. First, Gamigo never released expansions to this game. Second, going forward you're going to release new levels? Levels? I assume you mean zones, because levels, as in player levels, with the current levelcap of 70, that's simply not going to work. So today we are 70, next month we can go to 72 and next year 75? I really would like an explanation on how that is going to work. And really, what's the point in releasing new dungeons and quests? The majority of the playerbase still clinging on to this game has absolutely no reason to even look at a dungeon entrance these days. Quests would need to provide insanely good rewards to be worth doing and that's simply not going to happen.

Right now, we also have a few long-term plans for refinements that you’ve been asking for:
    • Daily Calendar Revamp
    If your NEAR FUTURE plans involve the "next several months" as listed below, then I fear these long term plans means several years. Calendar revamp was talked about in January and since then we've heard nothing. If that's not a NEAR FUTURE thing, then why even bother revamping? I'm not even going to bother commenting on the other items on the list.

In the meantime, here is what is planned for the near future (next several months) to further improve game play:
    • Call to Action: Unicornalia,
    • Planar Fragment Price Changes
    • Seasonal Events such as Summerfest.
    • We also plan to continue running our Call to Action (CTA) events on a biweekly basis, currently scheduled to run up until Summerfest starts and resume after the seasonal event ends.
    • Reduced costs for the planar fragment system
    So, the NEAR FUTURE gives us events that does absolutely nothing to improve gameplay. Improve being the key word here. Improve. One more time, improve. How does running the same old events improve anything, in any way? Improving gameplay would be to take care of class and soul issues. Improving gameplay would be to reduce the requirements needed to upgrade gear, so people with new alts can get them up to speed without running through a mental asylum screaming JUST ONE MORE ALT!!! Improving gameplay is NOT running the same old yearly events once a year and the CTA stuff every other week.

Our plan for bringing new players into RIFT is by leveraging social media to foster organic growth. To meet this end, we’ve bolstered the RIFT community management team with two additional TBA Community Managers and hired a new Head of Community Management. With the added team members, we will eventually resume regular streams and other actions to draw new players into the game.
    Oh joy, new players joining a pretty dead game. That's going to be fun. They are sooo going to love it, until they realise that there's almost no people to play with. And if they do happen to start their own little guilds and communities, they're going to be slightly seperate from us old-timers because we're all just old and grumpy while they're new and excited.

With the new Head of Community Management taking the reins, improved communication between developers, the Community Managers and the Players is ensured in the future.
    Improved communication? Where have I read that before? Hmm, let me think....
    Oh, that's right. Right here:
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    Some more surprises are coming, but we don’t want to spoil those quite yet! We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    That was 224 days ago.
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 06-19-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Soulwalker

I've been waiting for Unicornalia to come back for years! I'm stoked that its finally here.

Is this an out of season april fools joke?
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Shadowlander

Default Just not worth it

Im out. Whoever has the "reins" of the community management team and approved this letter to be released is obviously new or out of touch from this game. Congrats on getting paid six figures thou that will look good on a resume for your next job (they won't have a clue this game was left to die). FFXIV releases an expansion in 2 weeks. WoW drops their new raid in two weeks. SWTOR has a new raid coming out in September, heck even Dungeon and Dragons online just released an expansion with 3 new raids and they have less then half the population that this game has. This game had so much potential. Since the writing on the wall is there is no new content going to be released before all the old players leave, then I really hope everyone just leaves so Gamigo takes a huge lose in profit so they don't ever think to purchase a license again because they assumed this game was going to make a profit for a long time with every little interaction.

Trion made out like a bandit. I bet they prettied up those profit documents to make Rift look like it had a long growing future of profit and laughed all the way to the bank then Gamigo signed on that dotted line.

Keep using keywords like "Soon", "Future", "Faster", "communication" and not use real time-lines like 3rd quarter or actual dates like Dec 1st....and see how far that will get you with the people paying Patron.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast