+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree42Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: A note on server performance

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Clowd View Post
    Look, GCN is at fault, Rift's code issues are at fault. Combine the two together, and you have a system where GCN is causing subtle issues in the server to present themselves and cause server crashes.

The fact that it takes down the entire EU region is odd, but means that some common server utilized by all the shards is the root cause of the problem. When it goes down or becomes unresponsive, the other shards start breaking.

In my admittedly little experience with cloud computing systems, I'm honestly lead to believe that this is a core database server issue. Often systems like this handle requests in a queue (or transactions, kinda like transactional file systems), and there are a number of things that can go wrong there.

GCN is likely making it worse, but nothing that I have seen indicates that GCN stability or downtime issues are to blame for the constant EU crashes and restarts we are seeing. I, personally, will be surprised if Gamigo does identify the problem as GCN instability.
    If we must armchair quarterback then I agree. The poor responsiveness was really pronounced when switching shards which I assume causes quite a bit of queries to hit their backend database. It might be they are very bad at right sizing which if it is AWS can be rather complicated especially when coming from old servers as it is pretty hard to calculate. From someone who has done this might I suggest they allocate way too many fixed resources (like 2x) then monitor and slowly decrease. This can help set up auto scaling once you nail down how many resources are needed under typical low and highs.

thank you for telling us whats going on Zyra ... I'm a happy camper now ...
    -> Anywho@faeblight -> Morelyes@wolfsbane ->Weirdo@greybrair
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Soulwalker

Cool NA server performance

Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post
    Greetings, Ascended!

We sincerely apologize for the stability issues and extended downtimes you are currently experiencing in RIFT.

As you may have noticed, we have recently migrated our EU game servers from an onsite solution to a leading cloud computing platform. We heavily prepared for this transition, but sometimes things do not go as planned. Rest assured that improving RIFTs server reliability is our highest priority.

Due to the current connectivity issues, we understand that you do not yet feel the positive effects of moving to the cloud platform. Nevertheless, we want to key you in as to why we chose this path and what it means for you in the future.

Our reason for moving to the cloud platform was to enhance your gaming experience. The dynamic scalability options available in the cloud platform allow for game server updates to be deployed much faster and with fewer errors. Autoscaling, now built into RIFT, dynamically adjusts servers so there is always enough overhead to handle even the most populated instances. It even saves resources which we can then directly invest back into the further development of RIFT.

We believe that you will soon benefit from even better server performance, lower latency, and much less downtime than you had in the past. We thank you, our loyal players, for your patience and understanding during this time.

Your gamigo team
    We understand that moving into the cloud is causing all the trouble. But it is taking hell lot of time. As I understand it should not take that long time to fix it if you really know what you are doing. Every time the game is causing so much pain. All of them are related to the server. Most of the players already left the game. Even now I'm also thinking to leave. Who would want to play such game that would cause so much trouble! Now the game is not even loading. It is stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by dipploma999 View Post
    www.buydocument.net, Professional diploma company since 2009. We are the most trusted website to buy fake diploma. we provide all kinds of fake diplomas, like UF transcripts, fake GED diploma and etc. We can also customize Canadian Visas and Driving Licenses, fake UK Diploma, Canada university degree, University Certificates, Australia College diploma, fake diploma maker, fake degree company.
    QQ/WeChat: 648998850
    WhatsApp:+8613266747007
    https://buydocument.net
    Email:buydocument1@gmail.com
    Reported^^^^^^

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    Reported^^^^^^
    Doesn't matter... I reported this account when the post appeared & it's still here. Don't hold your breath for Gamigo dealing with spammers in a timely manner.

It would be hilarious if this dead***** game forum turned into a spamfest.
    "BADS is a very deadly and fast spreading disease. It occurs only in PvP areas of MMOs. The onset is very rapid, and causes players to target non-healers. It isn't known yet what causes this disease but it's believed to be rooted in ADHD and ignorance." - Ketchfraze@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    Doesn't matter... I reported this account when the post appeared & it's still here. Don't hold your breath for Gamigo dealing with spammers in a timely manner.
    I reported it as well and it's been days since I did...you know a game is really dead when official forums don't even bother to delete and ban spam anymore.
    [Faeblight] Yareen Amaltheia Mongke ... [Typhiria] Aiadiyima

Rift Disciple

The Atlas Reactor forum turned into a spamhaven shortly after Gamigo took over and dozens of those posts stayed up for ~7 months. Let's hope that doesn't start happening here.

If any CMs eventually read this you should make a whitelist of community site links and block everything outside those domains to prevent this from getting much much worse. Once a forum is identified as unmoderated spammers tend to flock. Post traffic here is relatively low, so spam could potentially stay on the front page for a long time. Rift has enough negative publicity without its customers being directed to malicious websites.

Edit: I reported this spam shortly after it was posted, so clearly nobody is checking the report logs regularly.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 08-17-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Telaran

Full focus on Archeage now and BIG release of something new no time for spam ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3