+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: A note on server performance

Rift Disciple

I would spend those hours fixing issues instead compensating some whiners.

But.

We do need some solid information and game plan. Random forum posts about "sorry for crash" does not cut it.

Soulwalker

Default been here since 2013

[QUOTE=MAJLbIW;5377351]Please write what time to come to play.
    ThankS.[/QU HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THAT U HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS EVER SINCE YOU HIRED THAT LAST BUNCH? I think its' time to pin the tail on the right donkey..
    AND AT 74 YRS OLD I THINK I deserve an answer and not a runaround like these other fine folks get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Rigan; 06-02-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: PUT AN S ON THANK

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #18

Hey you all!

Thanks again for raising your questions and concerns.

A lot of careful planning was put into moving our games to the cloud platform. While we performed our due diligence before switching over, we simply couldn’t foresee this outcome on Rift; otherwise we would have done things differently. We realize these issues are a real turnoff to players, and we are as unhappy with the current instability as you are. Although there is no ETA for a fix, resolving this is truly our top priority. We are truly sorry for the hassle this has caused you.

The recent Memorial Day sale has rubbed some players the wrong way, and we can understand why when we put ourselves in their shoes; it could appear as we are indifferent to our player’s need by investing time in creating sales rather than fixing the servers. However, this cannot be further from the truth. Sales are planned well in advanced and such planned activity will be carried out as scheduled – it has no bearing on the effort and urgency we are putting into resolving the server issues.

Server stability issues are affecting players in many ways: patron time is lost, daily login rewards are affected, people are crashing out of raids, and the list goes on. Rest assured that we are aware of your frustration and will provide fitting compensation once we are out of the woods on this issue and can see the full impact on your gaming experience. Since we can only determine what suitable compensation means after the server connectivity issues are resolved, we hope you understand that we are unable to give further comments on what will be included the compensation package or when it will be delivered. Rest assured that we will let you know as soon as the time comes.
    Discord: Zyra#0666

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Just going to leave this here.....

Well you're doing a better job than Trion when it comes to addressing concerns and logically explaining what is what, so a pleasing response for me at least.

Are we to assume the server merges will be delayed for now then?
    Last edited by Refuge; 06-03-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post
    snip
    Thank you. I guess Rift itself had enough issues on current platform, moving it to cloud opened a whole new can of worms.

At least it's summer, can spend more time outside.
    Last edited by Ieatacid; 06-03-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Well you're doing a better job than Trion when it comes to addressing concerns and logically explaining what is what, so a pleasing response for me at least.
    ummm, sorry but I don't really agree with that - we had great communication with the team before the 'last' Trion bunch barged in...

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Are we to assume the server merges will be delayed for now then?

This, This, This.... 50 times or more this. THAT is what we need information on and NOW ....

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Just going to leave this here.....

Do you have any clue about what you linked?

This incident literally do not have any relation with issues going on with RIFT and other games moved to GCP by Gamigo.

Incident you showed only affecting people who was using google services on eastern US.

Here below you can find all the incidents happen on GCN since almost for a year.

There is literally any issues since all transition started and many other games and services using GCP for distributing their games and their servers.

Such as FACEIT, well known service who is hosting many FPS games on their platform and FPS games more intolerant to any latency happen in game such as CSGO, hosted by FACEIT and many people using their premium service to play on their servers.

Anyway let's hope Gamigo will solve this issues before it will be so late.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Seems some people need to put mouth in gear before engaging brain
    I'm sure a pro IT expert like yourself would have sourced out various sites that report issues with Google Cloud? allow me to throw you another example as many Rift players would also use this, Discord:

https://status.discordapp.com/

This incident is primarily impacting users in the northeastern part of the North American continent, but due to the vagaries of Internet routing, is also impacting some western European users.

Now obviously not all the Rift outages line up with GCP issues, but enough do to indicate that GCP isn't as flawless and 100% as we'd like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Seems some people need to put mouth in gear before engaging brain
    I'm sure a pro IT expert like yourself would have sourced out various sites that report issues with Google Cloud? allow me to throw you another example as many Rift players would also use this, Discord:

https://status.discordapp.com/

Now obviously not all the Rift outages line up with GCP issues, but enough do to indicate that GCP isn't as flawless and 100% as we'd like to think.
    Your reading comprehension is not at it best as always. If you followed all the information above you could clearly see that GCN had clearly 0 issues when Gamigo transitioned and all other incidents mostly solved in less than hour and that ones are normal in any network, even your municipalities local network having such issues.

The quote you show via Discord's status referring "some western european users" but not covering entire region but of course a normal average user like you will hold his left ear to show what's happening on right ear.

I give you 1.5/10 to cover all the issues happening cuz of this transition for the sake of Gamigo.
    Last edited by aileen; 06-04-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Look, GCN is at fault, Rift's code issues are at fault. Combine the two together, and you have a system where GCN is causing subtle issues in the server to present themselves and cause server crashes.

The fact that it takes down the entire EU region is odd, but means that some common server utilized by all the shards is the root cause of the problem. When it goes down or becomes unresponsive, the other shards start breaking.

In my admittedly little experience with cloud computing systems, I'm honestly lead to believe that this is a core database server issue. Often systems like this handle requests in a queue (or transactions, kinda like transactional file systems), and there are a number of things that can go wrong there.

GCN is likely making it worse, but nothing that I have seen indicates that GCN stability or downtime issues are to blame for the constant EU crashes and restarts we are seeing. I, personally, will be surprised if Gamigo does identify the problem as GCN instability.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

I don't believe it's a real NA or EU server. That was like that in the beginning. Then they wanted to save money and moved everything to a server in the USA. It was about the beginning of 2016. I could not play a rift at that time 4 months because of a clinic stay. After the return I had to determine that my Shard (brood mother) did not exist any more. Then the server came load balance lie and each stupid one could recognize that it concerns only one mega server. On such a server you can do everything what you want. Basically NA and EU servers are maintained by 1 or 2 employees, you don't need more. You can already see that the weekly server maintenance takes place at the same time. A Clout problem I do not leave valid, rather a money saving problem.
    Last edited by phoenix1957; 06-04-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Charwyn@Brutwacht

King of Slackers

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1957 View Post
    It was about the beginning of 1916. I could not play a rift at that time 4 months because of a clinic stay.
    I remember that time period, battle of verdun was horrible.
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by keepor View Post
    I remember that time period, battle of verdun was horrible.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Occurs with a dinosaur already times. But I'm not quite that old.

Charwyn@Brutwacht

Isn't the whole point of using the Cloud solution based around redundancy? Elastic resources around half continent size cloud distribution? If all of Rifts published builds failed, then its clear where the culprit lies. How can anyone put the blame on the Cloud Solution? Rift is not the first game deployed to the cloud by Trion.

My own experiences with Cloud deployment is broadly based... AWS absolutely awful, overly complicated and took 3 engineers to fix what was their problem, if it was my fault, it would have cost me many $1,000. MS Cloud, simple to use, works out of the box and for me, first time setting up the same parameters and securities was a doddle. Google I have no experience. The performance between AWS and MS were worlds apart. AWS was constantly loosing connection and stifling resources, MS was smooth and reliable.

That said, I also use Unity teams, the collab solution and build are provided third party by AWS, same issues, being kicked, loosing connection and even corruption. As somedays it works very well without issue, is it the Unity Editor or the service?

Seems you cannot have your cake and eat it afterall.
    Last edited by A World Maker; 06-08-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
    Checkout A World Maker aka Trepid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2