+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
Like Tree331Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: EU Live Shard merges

Soulwalker

I stopped playing for a while and got back in the game a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my old character was gone, so I just started a new one. Either that or I was gone for so long I just started a new character to remember how the game worked again.

Today, I log in and my current character was gone and only my old character is there... I'm so not in the mood to deal with this right now... All I wanted was to play the game...

Edit: Nevermind. Just remembered last night after I logged off I noticed the client said I was in NA server and I thought it was like a maintenance bug or whatever and changed it back to EU. So today i got the old character which was in the EU server... Never realized I had been playing in a NA server...
    Last edited by Saitama; 06-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Isp
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    I stopped playing for a while and got back in the game a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my old character was gone, so I just started a new one. Either that or I was gone for so long I just started a new character to remember how the game worked again.

Today, I log in and my current character was gone and only my old character is there... I'm so not in the mood to deal with this right now... All I wanted was to play the game...
    You either using different shard or region - you can change shard on character selection screen and region in glyph's top right corner.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Telaran

Default should I let Gamigo know that I'm deleting a toon?

I'll probably have to delete toons after the EU merger happens--so for every toon I'm FORCED to delete (as opposite to peeps that delete because of other reasons) I have to I will have to ticket the company?-otherwise no compensation?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by A World Maker View Post
    Surely those that are angry about having to delete toons are perhaps missing something? When this game became F2P, that meant you were free to create VR content. However the engine and resources on which this all runs relies on an income, along with paying wages and hardware replacement/repairs, engineers to attend/carryout weekly updates, and the incentive is what? As the community grows so does the resources needed. There comes a break even point in any business which they must stay on the liquid side of or go bust. Like that fact or not, that is relevant to all businesses.

Turning to a cloud deployment is a sensible move due to the elastic resources and associate costs, which reduces static costs overall, so the game will live on. I am very surprised that Trion did not place limits to the overall total of toons anyone could have, moreso those with F2P accounts. Yes you can only play one at a time, but consider the storage space on the servers to all content, the mail servers, auction houses running 24/7, keeping track of all transactions. Is the price of all that included in your F2P package?

I only posted here because I was searching for reasons why, on a Saturday afternoon the game is not accessible and all the servers seem to be down. It is not down to the move to the cloud, not for another 4 days, cant be down to an update, just had one on Thursday...
    No need to pin the blame on "those with F2P accounts." The F2P model is a popular scapegoat, but it's actually more profitable than B2P or P2P for a game like Rift.

Telaran

btw--I've been a paying customer since start-bought the PC DVD,and when they instituted patron bought that--and even extended it last feb--for another yr

Quote Originally Posted by Batsy View Post
    I'll probably have to delete toons after the EU merger happens--so for every toon I'm FORCED to delete (as opposite to peeps that delete because of other reasons) I have to I will have to ticket the company?-otherwise no compensation?
    NO! That was only a SUGGESTION from a player to make sure the compensation was proportional to the amount of characters that was deleted. You do NOT have to do anything other than simply WAIT for the merge to happen and servers to become stable and then the compensation will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Batsy View Post
    I would definitely consider deleting your characters BEFORE the merge.
    After the merge, all your chars from Typhiria, Gelidra and Zaviel will all be moved to Typhiria.
    For some (and definitely for you Batsy) that will be over 30 characters on one shard.
    BUT you will only be able to see 12/13 of those characters.. the other 17 characters will not show on the character screen.
    So then you end up with 17 'hidden' characters which you cannot access.
    Some of these 17 you may have wanted to keep, much more than the 12/13 that you can see and are able to log.
    We don't know if these 30 characters will be put in any kind of order on the character screen, So there is no way to tell which of the 30 characters you will be able to log and play after the merge.

The only way to be sure which characters you will be able to log and play after the merge is to sort them out now, before the merge.
    Make sure that your character total across the 3 merging shards is 12 or 13 (depending if you bought the extra slot).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeTurtgles View Post
    If you bought a car and then paid extra for accessories ... Because this is basically what they are doing. whether its a "virtual item" or not is irrelevant.
    This is a usual misconception when talking about virtual goods. If you read the EULA carefully, you will notice that you did not buy anything. The company belongs to someone else, as do the servers, the software, and the entries in the database that represent your toons and anything else in the game. No matter how much money you paid the company, you did not buy anything, and nothing of the above will ever belong to you.

So if you're looking for analogies, you always have to think of renting stuff, not buying it. And when you rent said car, and the contract defines a monthly notice period, it is absolutely ok when the company that still owns the car cancels the contract and demands the car back within the month.

That being said, I consider it a really dumb move by a company to force players to delete their toons, especially when the players don't get anything in return.

Default Yes, don't forget...

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    This is a usual misconception when talking about virtual goods. If you read the EULA carefully, you will notice that you did not buy anything. (...)
    This point could not be mentioned too often. 'Cause it seems, the people/player don't read the EULA carefully

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    This is a usual misconception when talking about virtual goods. If you read the EULA carefully, you will notice that you did not buy anything. The company belongs to someone else, as do the servers, the software, and the entries in the database that represent your toons and anything else in the game. No matter how much money you paid the company, you did not buy anything, and nothing of the above will ever belong to you.

So if you're looking for analogies, you always have to think of renting stuff, not buying it. And when you rent said car, and the contract defines a monthly notice period, it is absolutely ok when the company that still owns the car cancels the contract and demands the car back within the month.

That being said, I consider it a really dumb move by a company to force players to delete their toons, especially when the players don't get anything in return.
    OK i accept i may have worded it wrong but even with saying everything is rented, you wouldn't rent a car then have them come back and take off the wheels and say "yeah carry on using it" because they ain't taking the whole item back just stopping you from using stuff you have paid for/rented from them

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kyytheron View Post
    This point could not be mentioned too often. 'Cause it seems, the people/player don't read the EULA carefully
    I read the EULA and my point wasn't that they couldn't take away your whole account or to close teh game at any point they wish but nowhere in there does it say they they can take away part of your account or make you delete toons against your wishes. As i said before when SOE tried to do something very similar they almost ended up with a class action lawsuit until they gave refunds.

Reading the above comments...

on the matter of SOE selling class specific packs and removing the class altogether from game within a short time..

there are laws against this type of sale. One would have to inform the buyers upfront about the chance/plans of removal. There is also the 'spending cash/shop through internet', which gives a right to return the product within a limited time, no matter what the reason is.

So if it was proven the company would remove the class under certain conditions and those conditions were already met when they started the sale, then they are obligated to refund.

On the deleting of characters... that's a point of discussion/insight.

They are not deleting the characters.
    They are strongly suggesting to delete characters if you have more characters created than char slots unlocked.
    When you have 2 character slots unlocked (standard f2p) you can have 8 characters total.
    When you have 6 character slots unlocked (standard game owner/buyer), you can have 24 characters total.
    When you have 13 character slots unlocked, (maxed slot externsions), you can have 52 characters total.

Having more toons on a shard than your max character slots makes the surplus invisible. You can then choose to move visible chars to another shard if you have the free character slots for them or choose to delete toons, to make the surplus visible/playable.

Gamigo does not say you have to delete the toons, they are recommending it.

And there is the point... you can't access or use certain investments you paid for, virtual goods or 'rented', unless you delete certain parts yourself.. So in the end it is YOUR choice to delete or not.

For the law, You are the one doing the delete. The circumstances created are at Gamigo's end.

So it would per country depend on how virtual goods are considered, in regard to ownership or 'right of use'-only.
    And it would depend on how law would deal with created circumstances, financial need and the consequences of certain decisions.

Sorry for the non-edit..

But reading through the topic again..

As Caduto also mentioned.. With more toons than the max character slots on a shard, the overload of toons will become invisible.

I asked before in a post, but never saw an answer from Gamigo...
    will dimensions of the invisible characters be accessible by players.
    And will chars from the same account/shard be able to work in those dimensions..

Will gamigo in the future take action to delete any chars that are ln that overload?

Depending on the answers, you may wish to refrain from deleting chars.

Last minute advice... move your toons around, so the ones you want to play often are on either Brisesol, Brutwacht or Bloodiron, since these shards will not have issues with any overload/invisibility of chars.

Those with less dimensions functionality, attraction or w/e lesser importance level to you, let those on gelidra and zaviel. And try to keep one or 2 char slots open on Brisesol, Brutwacht and/or Bloodiron, so you can move 1 or 2 toons after merge to at least secure those and see what toons become visible

Stack dim items on a f2p account... can create 2 level 1s on brutwacht, brisesol, typhiria and bloodiron.. that's 8 chars with basic 50 slot storage in bank/bags and 105 guild slots for 31 plat per char... That's some 1080 storage slots for 250 plat to store dim items

And if need be, can invest a few plat in bags, to create extra space per char
    or create 2 f2p accounts and create 2160 slots storage for 500 plat

And make sure any plat is on either Brutwacht, Bloodiron or Brisesol, so nothing can happen to that.. Since these shards will/should have no issues/bugs from the mergers or changes in character order/character slot occupation

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...12-2019-a.html

merger will start some 8 hrs from the moment I posted this, so use your time wisely
    Last edited by Aranka; 06-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Shards are there, grey but still there (with chars).
    It should be like that?
    Ascend A Friend Join me in RIFT http://bit.ly/1jS6dt2
    or if you already there, redeem this code - CEWPH7C3NH2TDNQH29Z3
    receive presents + 28slot bags and a mount for a good beginning
    POWER*LEVELING from x to 65 - pay with plat, rex or epic unstables - on EU and NA | WTS/WTT (EU) Bounty arts

Late reply, but just to explain...

The merge didn't work out as intended,
    They cancelled the merge, to avoid another long downtime.

The merge should originally have lasted 6 hrs.
    This meant starting at 9am EU server time until 15.00 hrs EU server time.
    Your post is from 14:00 hrs..

So yes, the shards are still grey, with the merge being cancelled and shards being brought up as they were...
    So things might not be as they should have been with a succesful merge, but they are now as they should be in the current state of the process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13