+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Frequent questions & concerns - update

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    What exactly was "updated" for this year? From what I can tell, it's the exact same thing as last year. And this is something you were "hard at work" doing?
    I think to be fair on this one - Getting the seasonal events up and running isn't a simple matter of flipping a switch. There's always been a decent amount of work to get them up and running regardless of what is or isn't added to them and that's likely what they're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    1. Do you plan to shut down the game?
    Refer to the news letters. They do intend to continue development and have stated that several times, but we don't know in what capacity yet. They're still working on a roadmap themselves. If that's not enough, then you can take a look at aileen's offer to buy Rift and its assets: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5369712 and here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...82/unknown.png It would seem that they do plan on taking the games future seriously, but the holidays certainly aren't helping with the transition and in turn not helping them get more updates out to players.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Refer to the news letters.
    The news letters that to date have been all "we can't tell you anything right now, please wait even longer than you already have"?

My Number 1 question was kinda silly, I know that, but it was intentional. Read the rest and try to connect the dots, maybe you'll see the full picture. They are connected, which is why 2, 3 and 4 start out with "If not".

Edit: Bottom line, for a company that would like to see a return on their investment, they sure as hell have been taking a long time communicating their intentions. The longer they wait, the less likely people are to stay and keep the game alive. The less people there are playing and keeping the game alive, the less likely gamigo is to get a return on their investment. And that increases the likelihood of them simply shutting it down. Communication is key and they're not really doing it. They're asking us to remain patient, day after day, week after week and month after month. Yes, the holidays are in the way, but they knew it was coming. Logically speaking, they should have planned around that. As you and others have uncovered, this isn't simply a process that happened sunday evening and the Trion employees were fired monday morning. There has to be some kind of plan in place, even if the details are not. The general roadmap should have been done by now. And given the situation, it should have been communicated to us already.
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 12-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.

I do hope to see these things come sooner rather than later as they were almost or completely done in some way, shape or form:

- Planar Disciples (Possibly the least finished, but they were well into development)
    - Intrepid: Greenscales Blight (Needed QA pass)
    - Battle Pass (Just needed to be patched in)
    - Ahnkets Tower Raid: I know this, from my sources, early on was in active development, but I don't know how far into it the team was.
    Still hoping on lost dreams? Planar disciples are in the dump, as well as all the rest of the other stuff the Devs were working on, there was almost no progress on any of these systems except for Toks 2. It was just false information to keep people wanting more.

If RR couldn't figure out how to introduce 64 bit, why would you think Gamigo could do it? Live is never seeing IGB simple, unless they decide to just nerf the health pool and release a snooze raid. This was the only thing even close to completion, so what exactly were you hoping on?

Tower of Ahnket raid? Early on in active development? Where on earth did you get this information from? Unless you were referring to "at the drawing board" stage then ye. There was almost nothing started on this, and that was checked. Anyone saying otherwise is either exaggerating out of desperation or simply lieing.

And how would only 1-2 devs produce even a half hearted raid within 6 months? It clearly wasn't going to be fresh, no new art, no new mechanics, rehashed and squashed together with max 2-3 bosses in an pre-existing zone. Right.. fun..

I don't know what Battle Pass refers to.

A "new" expert seems to be the easiest to bash out. I mean the 2 new ones at the start of the expansion were a travesty to begin with. Absolutely no charisma about them at all. They also decided to rehash a recent NMT instance too (this was the first sign of death for me, that the game was now on a slippery slope to finishing production, this was an abosolute nono). I don't know what would be better, another rehash or a mess of a new expert that would make me fall asleep after the first run.

My only assumption is, release anything, call it a new something, bring in new players in as quick as time possible. Gamigo's model is to suck it lost travellers, and create a high turn over. Care for existing players? Ye right..
    Last edited by Refuge; 12-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    If RR couldn't figure out how to introduce 64 bit, why would you think Gamigo could do it? Live is never seeing IGB simple, unless they decide to just nerf the health pool and release a snooze raid. This was the only thing even close to completion, so what exactly were you hoping on?
    RR on one of the streams said it's done, the biggest issue was that the conversion broke all the dev tools and that fixing them was going to have to be a game of wack-a-mole fixing things as issues arise.

No tools = work stoppage

This is probably why they're working on seasonal events and an expert rather than releasing a raid.

TBH, the wiser thing would be to just rip the band-aid off and do the conversion to 64 bit and start the game of wack-a-mole. Otherwise this game risks losing the rest of it's die hard players.
    Last edited by Skiye; 12-21-2018 at 05:16 PM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Still hoping on lost dreams?
    Sure, there's always hope. I try not to make baseless claims unless I know for sure there's evidence to back them up. Sometimes I don't feel like digging through the old livestreams and forum posts, but know for sure that certain things where stated at certain times/places.

Planar disciples are in the dump, as well as all the rest of the other stuff the Devs were working on, there was almost no progress on any of these systems except for Toks 2. It was just false information to keep people wanting more.
    Probably the least likely for sure, but the back end of it was done as RR mentioned earlier today on Discord. It's just up to the team whether or not they want to go forward with it in the future.

It wasn't about not being able to, it was more about it taking a lot longer than they had originally intended it to which is why It got pushed back (far back) after the initial announcement. Most of that work was done already, but it needed a QA pass. Again, it's up to them if they want to bring it out, but a lot of the work to scale it up was done already. It just needed some design attention.

Tower of Ahnket raid? Early on in active development? Where on earth did you get this information from? Unless you were referring to "at the drawing board" stage then ye. There was almost nothing started on this, and that was checked. Anyone saying otherwise is either exaggerating out of desperation or simply lieing.
    Brasse had let it slip on the forums that that was a raid in the works and when I questioned her about it on the following livestream, this was her answer: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/310047867?t=31m50s It didn't sound like it was IGSB from the way she initially spoke about it and this was later confirmed when captain cursor acknowledged that he was doing work inside of ahnket's tower after the acquisition had happened.

I don't know what Battle Pass refers to.
    These were datamined back in October https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...26/unknown.png (you can check back through the Ghar Station Discord). No one really knows what it is exactly, but it's something RR worked on himself and confirmed that it was done and or

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Soulwalker

theres a level of irony in asking us to be concise when posting a vague post like that

What a sad thing to see happen. I guess it is better than the game closing. I am one of those alt-o-holics you hear whispered about. I bought all 12 character slots, times 6 shards plus three other free accounts that have two. I did this for festival currency gathering not daily play. That is a whole lot of alts. Do the math. *shrugs* I am a dimension-holic already been to their AA.

I let this sink in all day before I posted. I hope Gamigo are reading these replies. Here is my two cents.

I get that you wanted the Trion games because of Trove and Archeage, but have you really researched Rift? Are you aware of the tremendous success Rift had before Trion branched out to other games? Rift was first. Rift funded these other games. Look into 'why' it was great.

Then look on the forums and read all the pleas over these past few years of why people left. Warfronts got no love. XP for crafting taken away. No new content. Horrible grinding (which a lot of games do have) for weapons armor that could be done in another way. Crafting is almost useless except for dimension items. Rifts themselves used to be great. You could get good gear, mounts, skins etc. Now? some plat...whoopie. Minions? Used to be great. You could save up to 50k adventurine. They cut that back with the promise of 'better loot'. Yeah no. Crap loot now especially during festivals. Stan's lure? Used to have great rare items, but let's cut those back too and give you so so items. Everything that used to be fun was just sucked right out of this game. I have never understood why people that worked for the game took out all the great about the game? I mean seriously why? Who's brilliant idea was that.....

I could go on and on about what was gutted from the game, yet since you purchased the game, I am hoping you research this all yourselves and see where it went wrong. We all sat and watched as it was slowly gutted.

My hope for writing this is that someone 'IS' reading these. If so, please, please put money towards this game and you will be rewarded in returning players because people will gladly play this game again. Invest in a good developer for Rift alone. I promise it would be worth it......If not....please let someone that loves this game buy it.

Rift is such a great game. I can ride anywhere, jump off mountains without breaking every bone in my characters body (aka Lotro)....I can build a house, town or anything my mind can conjure up no other game has this freedom advertise it. I love the free fighting style. Interface is great. Shard hopping is another of the best features ever. Again, I could go on and on ...

I wish you much success with Rift....please don't leave us swinging in the breeze.
    Last edited by Tarindil; 12-21-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Sure, there's always hope. I try not to make baseless claims unless I know for sure there's evidence to back them up. Sometimes I don't feel like digging through the old livestreams and forum posts, but know for sure that certain things where stated at certain times/places.

These were datamined back in October https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...26/unknown.png (you can check back through the Ghar Station Discord). No one really knows what it is exactly, but it's something RR worked on himself and confirmed that it was done and or
    I don't think you get it do you. Any suggestions from livestream or a dev pre-sacking is wastless information, and should not be brought to any argument. They have lied lied lied time and time again about their development and progress to keep players in. Wasn't the court case even involved in this? And it was clear they were likely to lose this.

Information gathered from devs post sacking give a much clearer light on situations. If a dev said he's working on inside the tower, god knows what that means. It amounts to nothing. And honestly, do you really think a full on raid can be developed from 1 or 2 devs, really?!

64bit issue is neither here or there. No point getting in detail. They backed off the idea completely as the fix after would have been monumental. Think Gamigo would dare do it? Maybe, then choose not to bother fixing anything after the change.

You're right about one thing. The only successful thing the team were developing on were items that could be sold via cash, such as those wings.

Now with Gamigo in power? Well, its been said time and time again. I shouldn't have to say anything more to that. Do the maths.
    Last edited by Refuge; 12-22-2018 at 04:03 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

/begin wall of text

Having put literally thousands of hours logged into Rift... (Yes, I really have. Years of no life...)

An accounting department measures cost and profitability. And I can't help saying that letting the accountants and shareholders call the shots, is the cause of death for most games, businesses, (Sears after a century) and for the best and brightest TV series, as well... (Firefly, Dark Matter, Sense8, name your own cancelled without being finished, favorites.)

In all these cases, customer loyalty was squandered for a short term percentage.

For example of the opposite, Amazon, who lost big money for years, before breaking even. No accountant set such a course. Their strategy was to grow, and gain the trust and loyalty of their customers.

1. Good for the game = The more players, the more attached they are to each other and the game, spending more time logged in, and making use of more things in game, the better.

2. Players come to a game because the content looks attractive. But they keep coming back, only if they had a good time with other players. Like going back to Disneyland...

Rift is a virtual amusement park.

3, That auction houses are separate, and prices are different, and it's a pain in the behind to corner the market on something and manipulate prices, and that there are barriers to scammers trying to sell game Platinum for real cash, is pretty obviously working.

Good for the game.

Players have to have a toon on each shard, or know someone that is willing to do that for them, in order to get the best price on resources and goods. Shopping many places equals more time played, more need for other players to help, more alts is more traffic, and additional time and resources, and also more toons to spend money on.

Good for the game.

Combine the auction houses, and you will eliminate what many players spend most of their time doing.

Yes, nerfing a grind makes sense, to help latecomers catch up, and make alts fun to play.

But removing things to do, especially as much activity as this? Removing the barriers to manipulation and scammers?

Bad for the game.

6. Consolidate any US shard other than Seastone, ( See the abandoned dimensions, before it's too late...) and you will hurt the game.

Everyone knows where your character is from... Lose a shard, and you lose a tribal identity for that character. Lose a guild name and you lose another.

If you're not just playing with yourself, your name is the most precious thing in the game.

Because if you lose your name, friends and acquaintances lose contact. The circle of others around you, shrinks... Lastly, servers are getting cheaper all the time. It might even cost more to shut it down, than keep it.

Consolidating shards would be bad for the game.

Disclaimer:

Yes, consolidation of shards will hurt me personally, more than other players. Since there is a limit of 12 character slots per shard, I won't just lose a name.

I'll have to empty and relocate banking guilds, choose multiple toons to delete, and lose hundreds of hours I have put into them.

Hoping for the best.

Yours Truly,

~ Quille of many toons ~

p.s. This post is abridged. The original was huge.

/end wall of text
    In shining darkness, wisdom finds... what in the light, cannot be seen.

Unhappy

Many "Nothing"s As Expected ^^
    While There was no attention from the media for Rift I encountered This.
    Sad....Just sad to see it...
    Anksata@zaviel - Last Dawn
    Rift Over!

Watched all 43 minutes of that video... There are a few things that I had not found in my own sleuthing about Trion, quite a bit that he didn't cover, and a few mistakes, like his assertion that a character could combine a soul from warrior with one from mage, and one from cleric...

One thing I agree with, customer service has to function, correcting bugs and mistakes.

And you have to keep creating content fast enough that you don't exhaust the patience of your customers, no matter how much content you have already made.

And I will also compare Rift to WoW, since I lived there for many years, until that brain-nerfed abortion made of random fragments from a forgotten filing cabinet, called Cataclysm, drove me away.

Blizzard was sold. WoW took a nose dive, and headed for a crater. Later, former owners bought it back, spent some money, replaced most if not all the Dev team and rebuilt much of the lost business.

Rift hasn't done a Cataclysm. The Trion Devs did a far better job of Prophecy than that.

Fix or replace the game engine, improve latency and disconnects, add just a little bit of new content, maybe even do some advertising. ( Trion's livecasts only reached existing customers. )

I think the Rift population would increase...

And the return would be worth the investment.
    In shining darkness, wisdom finds... what in the light, cannot be seen.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hayjayy View Post
    Regarding the server merges; will we see character slots being extended? Losing alts would be a major issue, more than likely for many people.
    So yeah, this is a major concern for me. I have a lot of chars, and they are not low lvl chars. I have more than I am willing to admit publicly! What happens if we have more chars than what will be available for max across the remaining shards?

Telaran

Thanks for youre update,

We all know that we will get something like this of a post from the new team.

So it is milking the cow till he is dead in the Gamigo way

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Liluri View Post
    When is the next round of balance changes happening?
    Class balance is an ongoing concern that we will continue to monitor and address with our weekly updates.
    "When is my lunch order arriving?"
    "Your cheeseburger is an ongoing concern that we will continue to monitor and address with our weekly updates."

The non-answer above was the funniest one of the post, but it was only one of several. What's the point of addressing a question if you're not going to actually address it? It just wastes everyone's time.

Live is never seeing IGB simple, unless they decide to just nerf the health pool and release a snooze raid.
    Every time boss health pools get brought up, I ask why they're so focused on the actual health pool rather than effective health. A boss could take reduced damage, put up shields, heal, dodge/resist more... And that's even without a "stat squish" like WoW had a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Verrliit View Post
    Fix or replace the game engine, improve latency and disconnects, add just a little bit of new content, maybe even do some advertising. ( Trion's livecasts only reached existing customers. )

I think the Rift population would increase...

And the return would be worth the investment.
    Getting a better server is maybe doable if desired, new content is kind of a pipe dream (even the people who were working with the system for years couldn't get anything done anymore), advertising is almost always a decent idea, but a new engine is 100% delusion. It would basically mean rewriting the whole game, and at that point, you might as well put those resources into writing an actual new game instead of one that people recognize as a tired old title that couldn't hold on to its playerbase (if they recognize it at all). The return would not be worth the investment.

Rift Disciple

I have a concern about multi boxing, I have seen other people mention that they to have more than one account. Rift has always allowed people to have more than one account and it seemed that they encouraged it. I myself have four. Whenever there was an expansion I would have to buy four. Every new DLC content I bought 2-4 of them based on how much I liked it. I am now concerned about keeping all my accounts with the latest purchasable items if at some point gamingo decides they do not want to allow people to play more than one account.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast