+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Team Letter - Dev Team Update 11/30

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobottle View Post
    Very simply: Rift is absolutely capable of competing with major players on the MMO market. That said, it will need some SERIOUS love and then some serious marketing. Some simple steps: 1/ listen to your players. 2/ Keep it F2P, maybe charging for new xpacs or in-game vanity items. 3/ keep new content roling in - doesn't have to be anything fancy, maybe a raid now and then, a new set of shinies, hidden puzzles/chests, etc.
    I agree that it is capable of competing however as another poster said, F2P is what killed this game and in the eyes of the numerous former and potentially new RIFT players out there, one of the major reasons they're not playing is the stigma this game's payment model has. That, and some changes the game needs to get back to it's vanilla glory days that made it great.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
    F2P is what killed this game and in the eyes of the numerous former and potentially new RIFT players out there, one of the major reasons they're not playing is the stigma this game's payment model has.
    What is the evidence for that?

Gamigo is a F2P game company so seems doubtful they will make Rift their only subscription only game. Apparently, Gamigo has had success with MMO F2P games. Their Last Chaos game is celebrating its 12 year anniversary and its 5th year at Gamigo.

What is troubling is that there is still no mention of Rift, or any of the Trion games, on the Gamigo game webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    What is the evidence for that?

Gamigo is a F2P game company so seems doubtful they will make Rift their only subscription only game. Apparently, Gamigo has had success with MMO F2P games. Their Last Chaos game is celebrating its 12 year anniversary and its 5th year at Gamigo.

What is troubling is that there is still no mention of Rift, or any of the Trion games, on the Gamigo game webpage.
    No but you can improve the payment model and also advertise that and other changes to the game, basically attempting to regain people's trust. People all thought of RIFT as P2W and that was the biggest factor, along with other changes to the game people didn't like, or other games they left to try but due to said payment model, never came back. Go anywhere to read about RIFT and you'll see what people think. It's the same perception people have had for years.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 12-04-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Toxic players, unqualified CMs and mismanagement of director & producer killed this game.F2P has nothing to do with it.
    Anksata@zaviel - Last Dawn
    Rift Over!

Shadowlander

Default Right.

Last edited by Ascac; 12-05-2018 at 04:43 AM.

Rift Disciple

I played in Vanilla and after that, much of the time whenever I have been in a region with a decent connection. However, the grindfest / slow-release fest of Celestial killed it for most of my guild (a very high-powered group of players, leaders maxed on all sorts of crafting and some active in raiding as well)... I'm still here but I'm barely enthused. Slowly leveling alts and tinkering with dimensions. Maybe I'll get into more artifacts and hunts sometime?

I love exploring, but there is already a ton of real estate and I doubt there are enough devs to be producing new regions with much quality. I'd be happy just to see several new amusing epic quests or 5P dungeons set in the existing territory.

If you can produce raids, great but I won't pay them any attention if they are all extreme top-tier "did you max Celestial Weapon yet" sort of stuff. I'm not interested in yet another hour-to-gather-20 people so someone oh so "leet' and "professional" can complain they only have 10 minutes to run the raid and kick half the people for missing their choice of spec, BiS or what have you. I also get tired of endless Nightmare Rifts after some while, for that matter.

Personally I'm still fairly happy with quest/dungeon PvE and I just would like some new things to do that don't ALL focus on the very end of progression. I don't claim to speak for everyone, but I'm not convinced that PvP or a few new raids are going to inject massive profits. Keep giving casuals and small group players something new once in a while, it doesn't have to be a massive project like a new region but there are those of us who are more focused on solo and small groups.

No "holier than thous" intended toward people who like other directions, but especially while the player population and dev team is limited this makes sense to me.

BMX
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft View Post
    Toxic players, unqualified CMs and mismanagement of director & producer killed this game.F2P has nothing to do with it.
    The advent of gamble to progress was another factor. Also the cash grab with no content delivery that said director/producer thought was a great direction had a major role in the downfall. Leadership from the top down were directly involved at the wholesale level.

Also of note was in the post by Stormytime. A lack of balanced content delivery was not the finer choice made.
    Banned

Thumbs up agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft View Post
    what Microsoft said.

Soulwalker

Default If the new company would consider:

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    So many people gonna quit after that message. Ty.
    If you are looking for inspiration @ the dev team, and new operators (name that role); or a creative work-around then consider creating a set of think tanks:
    Dev + Player base input:

Raid leads; Guild recruitments; Dimensions; RPG; Challenges; PVP: the list continues

Make it worth their while: related to subject prizes for new concepts etc..
    (Gets instant attention from your customers; quells fear; reverse the I am not being heard with no real responses to 'Hey, whatttt? you are creating opportunity to let me be a part of and I get a prize? sweet!')
    For those that remain and want to see Rift grow again, then put your CMs to work with the above. One thing this community does right, is they excel at making it worth logging in for. They help each other with solutions, strategies, without being 'epeen' (a WoW thing that is seen a lot). I adore Rift and it is due to the player base of wanting to see each other excel and have fun. Please stop the out going player base.. draw them back.

Soulwalker

I think a lot of us worked really hard to get to 70. We were required to grind and grind and grind some more. Some of us got really frustrated about the grind. Some of us still hold a grudge about it. Even though the dungeons where the same hundreds of times... For me, it helped me come together with my guild.

I miss what Rift used to be with more new in game content and classes that continue to rise up in their ranks/skills etc instead of being let down by programming changes to specs.

I hope Fae Yule comes sooner than later, because we need a little seasonal spirit right about now.

BMX
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brigraen View Post
    I think a lot of us worked really hard to get to 70. We were required to grind and grind and grind some more. Some of us got really frustrated about the grind. Some of us still hold a grudge about it. Even though the dungeons where the same hundreds of times... For me, it helped me come together with my guild.

I miss what Rift used to be with more new in game content and classes that continue to rise up in their ranks/skills etc instead of being let down by programming changes to specs.

I hope Fae Yule comes sooner than later, because we need a little seasonal spirit right about now.
    I must agree. We did the grind and saw one thing very clearly. Alts were evidently frowned upon since there was no alternate method of eternal and planar crafted item grind. This could have been a minor code fix to resolve and through an account check, redirect the upgrade path to a reduced grind path.

At least Fae Yule will be a distraction for a few minutes. Peeps will likely whine about too many santa hats on mobs and NPC's tho. :P
    Banned

Champion

Pay to Win what exactly? You can buy the last tier of gear from the store but what exactly does that allow you to win? It certainly won't win you a T2 raid spot. So what have you won by buying the last tier gear?

I understand my view is totally from the raid scene perspective but when people say "win" I think of raiding.

The lack of new (or even reworked) raid content is what destroyed the higher level guilds and without those guilds we lost things like new class guides to name just one thing. Higher level progression guilds may be just a fraction of a games population but that population is what drives content forward.

A company that drives out it's top tier eventually loses it's focus and loses it's vast middle tier.

Management destroyed Rift, not the fact you can buy last tiers gear.

Plane Walker

I now check these forums like once every three days. The lack of any real news is quite troubling. I think its dead Jim...
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Cladari View Post
    Pay to Win what exactly? You can buy the last tier of gear from the store but what exactly does that allow you to win? It certainly won't win you a T2 raid spot. So what have you won by buying the last tier gear?

I understand my view is totally from the raid scene perspective but when people say "win" I think of raiding.

The lack of new (or even reworked) raid content is what destroyed the higher level guilds and without those guilds we lost things like new class guides to name just one thing. Higher level progression guilds may be just a fraction of a games population but that population is what drives content forward.

A company that drives out it's top tier eventually loses it's focus and loses it's vast middle tier.

Management destroyed Rift, not the fact you can buy last tiers gear.
    Why do you think so many tons of people flocked to RIFT Prime with the reduced cash shop and additional unlocks and things? It's all anyone talked about when that was first announced. It wasn't because people were dying to pay a sub fee, or because they really loved Vanilla RIFT that much. It's because it's a fun game at it's core ruined by a few bad decisions. The payment model being - for most former players - the biggest part. Things like class balance and other issues are big as well for people, but if I had to name the first wall that Gamigo has to knock down to get anybody's attention, it's by far the payment model. If you want to know what people find P2W, look no further than the severe reductions on RIFT Prime..
    Last edited by Leiloni; 12-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
    Why do you think so many tons of people flocked to RIFT Prime with the reduced cash shop and additional unlocks and things? It's all anyone talked about when that was first announced. It wasn't because people were dying to pay a sub fee, or because they really loved Vanilla RIFT that much. It's because it's a fun game at it's core ruined by a few bad decisions. The payment model being - for most former players - the biggest part. Things like class balance and other issues are big as well for people, but if I had to name the first wall that Gamigo has to knock down to get anybody's attention, it's by far the payment model. If you want to know what people find P2W, look no further than the severe reductions on RIFT Prime..
    The lack of new things to do on live had a lot to do with "the flocking" as well. It was something slightly different. At least for me and most of my guild mates.

Prime being just a worse tuned/balanced version of live just had us pick up other games while we raid log on live though. I doubt we're the minority either since Prime is mostly a ghost town.

I don't think F2P is the issue. It's stale content.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast