+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Team Letter - November 8, 2018

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default RIFT Team Letter - November 8, 2018

Greetings Ascended,

We appreciate your patience as we take some time to solidify plans moving forward. There are a ton of moving parts involved in the transition from where we were to where we want to go, and its going to take us a bit of time to navigate all of the changes required to keep Telara and its denizens happy with the world weve called home for so long.

With our smaller team were still working out the details on what future content updates will look like. While plans are being made for the future, were going to be focusing the team on implementing Quality of Life improvements for RIFT in the short term.

We cant share specifics yet because there's still work being done behind the scenes to build a strong foundation for the future. Its on this foundation that all future updates will be built. This includes examining the health of our shard populations and looking at ways to make sure all of our players have the best possible experience in game.

If you have specific feedback on the kinds of quality of life changes youd like to see, be sure to share them with us! It would be very helpful to get a sense for what you feel are your main pain points.

We just wanted to take another moment to thank you for your patience as weve been working behind the scenes to get things stabilized. More news will be coming down the road so please bear with us a while longer.

-The RIFT Team

Shadowlander

While im sure this lack of actual information isn't enough for some people I will at least appreciate the communication. So with that in mind: thank you.

I'm going to start this off by saying it's not my intention to sound entitled, but Rift was the one that started it all and built the company and it's library of games up. None of them would exist without Rift and thus I think it deserves and needs a lot more love than it has previously gotten over the last few years. I know the teams are much smaller, but my hope is that in the future if things go well for all of the games, that Rift will start getting more attention and love. The game had and still has so much potential and a lot of it has gone to waste, but luckily (at least for now) none of the years of passion, time and effort that everyone who has worked on it and put into the game won't be going anywhere. That would've been the worst case scenario and glad that bullet has been dodged.

Quesitons
    I certainly have a lot more as everyone else does (from every game community), but I'll start with a couple of easy ones.

1. Is Archonix still on board? His linkedin is one of the few that has been changed whereas almost every other face we've known from the Rift team over the years has been and we know this have been confirmed already that they're gone. My sources have also practically confirmed that he's still around, but there's always that 1% chance that he's not and thus I won't add him to the confirmed Dev list in my Update post. That being said, it would be nice to hear officially if he's there as that would give a lot (not everyone mind you) a lot more hope knowing that someone who was there leading the team and working on the game as long as he has.

2. This is a long shot question, but is there any hope internally that there's potential possibility to bring on more staff for each game/team in the future or are these smaller teams going to be permanent for the foreseeable future?

Addressing Shard Populations
    I'm sure part of this has to do with the cost of keeping the current amount of servers up and running, but you'll absolutely need to give ample warning and time for people to move around plat and items before you force (or IF) anyone to started choosing characters to delete. Similar to releasing names which took place several months ago.

- A lot of people (some with multiple accounts) even have 10-12 characters on every shard used for various purposes like event farming, dimension touring, auction housing ect. If you decide to start merging shards then are you in turn going to force those people to lose all of those characters they put time, money and effort into?
    - What happens if people share the same names between the 2 servers you merge, especially if they're both active players?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were all (anyone else remind me if I forgot anything) of the already existing QoL changes being worked on for the "short time" long before this acquisition became official.

Class Balance
    Back at Gamescom via Salvatrix and Amary, we were told the next round of balance changes were going to be in November. I was told a while back that they were in the works, but we never managed to see them all the way up until this acquisition took place. I would honestly put this back at the top as a priority as they were repeatedly referred to as the quality of life type changes.

Planar Fragments
    While this isn't by any means a small task, we were told time and again that these were being overhauled and Salvatrix was to to have worked on them quite a bit, but kept going back to other projects like mount organization and dimension store cleanup (which are both good things), but this is something we've needed for a long time. Her intentions/plans were to make it so that current fragments could only roll stats for the specific one you were upgrading.

Example: If you have a fragment with Crit Power | Strength | Dexterity, It would only roll Physical Crit and Attack power as the last 2 stats upon the final upgrade. No more rolling tank stats and that would be true for tank frags not rolling Dps stats and caster only rolling caster ect. We were told they were almost done so I think we're all hoping to see them as one of the top 2 priorities going forward.

There were also plans for another significant cost reduction as these are still easy (absolute bare minimum) 15k plat + to upgrade and with fewer and fewer players (especially while we wait for updates) the plat generation is pretty low.

Call to Action
    I know these are relatively new, but it would be nice to have these turned on every other weekend as initially planned so that there's at least more stuff for people to do, especially once the Autumn Harvest extension ends. These were/are a good step in the right direction away from lockboxes and I hope to see continued effort put into these in the future. There were plans to redo all of the old promo events eventually like budgies and unicorns.

MAJOR Store Overhaul
    Sometime after this post: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...p-improve.html (not trying to take credit) we were told the store would have a major overhaul going forward, but these changes would be rolled out over time rather than all at once. I think it's safe to say we would all like to see continued effort put into that front. As we were told by the dev team "Money shouldn't replace gameplay".

Long Term Content/Development Goals

Focus on one or two things at a time until they're done!
    The team has been pulled in too many directions over the last few years and I don't know if that's poor management and or the marketing team pushing their own agendas and forcing the team into making certain decisions. Planar fragments are good example of this as they went from having a major overhaul done by Vladd (who then got put on the trove team) which shelved fragments and then moved onto salvatrix only to have them be shelved again so she could work on mount orginization and then store cleanup. It's good to have multiple ideas and projects started, but there's no point if any single one ever gets finished and pushed out in a timely manner.

New Raids
    - Get back to the core value and appeal that Rift originally had. End game raiding. This was a good alternative in that regard to WoW and offered enough similarities to it while also being uniquely different, especially with the soul system.

- Stop Recycling old raids and pushing them out as new content. The excuse we constantly heard over the years is that the raids are new to someone especially to those who didn't do them when they were current or just didn't play at the time. it's one thing to occasionally go back to an old raid every once in a while and that's how it initial started, but you absolute cannot have that be your go to just because you're stalling for team which we all know is the real reason. This goes back to managing your projects and development better so that you don't need to stall for time in the first place.

- Get the final raid for Prophecy of Ahnket as another priority when you can. We know for a fact this was already being worked on prior to the acquisition and it would be great to finish off that story and expansion preferably in the near future rather than distant, but again when it's possible to get back into long term development.

- This is more of a personal opinion, but if the plan is to stick with 10 man raids for the foreseeable future, then we need to get back to the Comet of Ahnket system where we have an easy mode (now LFR), Normal and Hard Mode with varying degrees of gear. I'm sure these types of raids take longer to make, but they're well worth the effort in my opinion and adds more longevity to the game. This goes full circle to recycling raids as you wouldn't need to do that since you have a longer time to work on the next thing while people work their way up/through each difficulty just like we did at the end of Nightmare Tide. Going back to upgrade components being guaranteed drops rather than RNG (like Storm cells in BoS) would also be a step back in the right direction again.

- Most of what was said about raids pretty much also applies to Dungeons as well. I think it would be nice to have to have hard mode dungeons again. We were told that not enough people did master modes when they were implemented back in vanilla and that many people complained. I think the main reason for that was effort vs reward. They were never rewarding enough to warrant clearing them and sometimes putting up with really bad groups. This was also the case for Rhaza'de Canyons. You can't say your'e going to put in T1 gear and then not have T1 Hit on it. This is mostly why no one bothered once it was actually releaseed. I think hard mode dungeons should at least give you a chance at the end to get a raid piece to help get more people into whatever the current tier is. This would be much different to how Nightmare Tide weeklies allowed people who didn't raid on a weekly basis to still earn raid gear for when they could, but this time you would be dungeon crawling to get it.

I'll add in more as I think of them so if any developers or CMs are checking the thread on a daily basis then be sure to re-read this post.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 11-08-2018 at 10:48 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post

With our smaller team were still working out the details on what future content updates will look like. While plans are being made for the future, were going to be focusing the team on implementing Quality of Life improvements for RIFT in the short term.

-The RIFT Team
    For quality of life, please concentrate on the upgrade path of gear/weapons. Right now it is so painful and RNG based that one just wants to give up. No path towards upgrading gear should be this bad.

Soulwalker

Default team letter

Thank you for the announcement letter. Best wishes in creating a game worthy of present and future players, as well as management. Many were getting a bit antsy about the future... buuuuut not I ( down to my last bottle of JD Black) whew! See y'all in Telara.
    I have attitudes I haven't even used yet.

Soulwalker

Thank you for this letter! I'm with the rest here that it may not be filled with direct answers it still speaks volumes that communication is ongoing. I'll be happy to resub and continue adventuring in Telara.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Edit: Posted something here on accident instead of my update post. I'll be redoing this post in a few minutes.
    Holy any chance you can link your big news post in your signature?
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    Holy any chance you can link your big news post in your signature?
    I had been planning on doing that, but just haven't yet. I can though if people would like me to.

Edit: Added it to the bottom of my signature
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 11-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Shadowlander

Thank you for confirming rifts future, I may just get patron again.

Telaran

Default Prime?

Prime is kind of sitting in limbo right now. When will raids be released at the very least since we're stuck in storm legion with only experts available right now?

Will rift prime remain open?

Soulwalker

Default Hello

It would be great if you asked from community what we want most. You could make polls and maybe ask what kind content we want in game and do we like what rift developers would like to add.

Very glad to see this letter! Most have been patient, and even the impatient ones weren't too bad. I am happy to see the QOL changes, and while those are great, I do hope that you all will be working on a development strategy. Class balance as mentioned before is huge, and is my personal biggest request. With that being said, I really do think we need a fresh start, in the way of a new expansion down the road.If that is something feasible for you guys, that would be huge. The hype with Rift is still there, people have just left due to poor decisions and lack of content. This truly was and always be the biggest potential within Trion/Gamigo. Here is to hoping for a bright future!

YAY! Rift lives on! This does my heart very happy!

No more feeling of dread deep down. I would, like others, like to see changes to bring in more folks but I am beyond thrilled it survived!

Thank you for this info!

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

QOL changes.... where to begin... :|

1) Get rid of the random-loot boxes/loot-chance after grinding out 6000 'Captured Intel'. If i wanted to tank, I'd choose a tank box, not pray to the RNG-gods. If anything, give us a split upgrade path. First item being the basic tier, then the ability to side-grade it to what we want it to be (high end, high core stat, or, low end high core stat), then upgrade from there on.

2) Increase 'Captured Intel' payouts from 30-base to 50-base.

3) Significantly reduce the platinum costs of planar fragments.

4) Increase the chances of getting BIS lessers and greaters from Raid Rifts.

5) Like #1, with armor, please put side grades into gear so it can be changed from tank to DPS, or DPS to tank.

Core questions...

1) Who is still on the team?
    2) When will cross shard AH happen?
    3) Are there plans for a full store revamp?
    --BC

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    We appreciate your patience as we take some time to solidify plans moving forward.
    More news will be coming down the road so please bear with us a while longer.
    I'm sorry to say this, but: This letter, in this exact wording, could have been posted within 3 days of gamigo taking over. Except for the focus on QoL, there is literally nothing that could not have been announced back then. And there is nothing in this that makes me think it will be worth my time waiting for the new team to get settled in.

I will pop back in from time to time, to see if any actual announcements have been made, but for now I am out. My Patron was cancelled on day 1, it runs out in a few days and when that happens I no longer have a reason to log in. I know it takes time to develop new stuff, so I don't expect anything new for the next year or so. I don't have any incentive to stick around that long.

While this team letter is the biggest chunk of communication we have recieved since gamigo took over, it is no better than a wall of silence. After all this time, it should be possible to announce more than QoL changes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast