+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Team Letter - November 8, 2018

Plane Touched

While I agree with Holyroller about getting NEW raid content being a priority to get the game back to being what it once was (the balance of classes etc flow best from raid content not the other way around). I would like to suggest that you consider what Star Wars did with their dungeons. Rift has many, many dungeons, some of which have come back as 'intrepid'.

Dungeons don't have mechanics designed around having a certain class or ability, so they should be adaptable to allow play at a new level. Having all dungeons available scaled to max level reduces the risk of problems with scaling down which we have with mentoring, and changing the loot to a personal loot system would mean no issues with what drops. This would mean you have a massive variety of dungeons to get as a random max level EXPERT group. This would give a huge increase in replayability. Such that if in a new expansion you only add a handful of dungeons this isn't so much of an issue as you haven't lost the old ones.

Wouldn't need to be a rapid priority, but could look to add one every few weeks or so til we have them all.

Using a scaling system could also allow a cheap master mode implement with LFR level mobs and gear drops, to add things to do. (I would prefer the old style masters with more mobs etc but appreciate the previous feedback that no enough people did them to be worth time investment, so this is an alternative).
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

Thank you New Rift Team! Much appreciated that you provided a solid statement for our future. As a player since early Beta and a Patron too, I was elated to see it.

I recently switched factions to get chives that I could not get otherwise and still working on those which will take a bit of time, so I am very happy with this letter.
    <>< Bick

I think its right time to think about for an Expansion for this game. You guys can create some kind of different raid, zone, dungeons story etc. Its a perfect time for that.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Last Dawn

Soulwalker

Default BIS event gear

Most of the event gear is bis or close to it, which i have no problem with, what i do have a problem with is the Event BIS seal (believe it came from the carnival even)

Atm there is nothing obtainable that even comes close to the stats. Give us something to get that is close to it, not asking for better just close to it (whats currently obtainable is 1000-800 main stat less).

I wana go out with a bang having all overload and bis gear before ya know the 'mode stops maintaining'.

On a serious note if anything is to be done these should take priority as previously stated by other people-

New content (raids specifically)

Class balancing

Removal of IRC

Suffix gear removal (too much rng)

Pvp love

Planar fragments plat nerf

On the point that holy made in regards to different difficulty in raids/dungeons.
    Its a unnecessary step and did nothing good for rift, the only reason people do TDez is for CI and Eternal upgrade.
    Open world gear/crafted > Experts > T1 > t2 > t3 works fine, no need to clutter gearing more than it already has been.

As for the part about shard population health i hope to god this was a glimpse of someone finally being honest about Prime from the staff, It needs to die, its harming live and cannot exist on its own.

Soulwalker

Default Suggestions

Thank you for the letter, at least we know now that we will not be losing the game in the near future. I have played for quite a few years (Since Nightmare Tide) and grown to love the game and the lore and I will miss the quirky humor of the original developers.
    A lot of my worries have already been covered by other posts but I want to bring up several concerns:

As stated above, the lore and the storyline and the ability to freely explore the world was a big attraction for me and many other players. I am worried that we have lost all of that lore and the backstories and the event plots that began, and ran much of the content of this game. So assuming you are not going to re-hire those devs back onto the Rift team I worry that the new changes will only be focused on other, more technical, hardcore, areas of gameplay. Sidenote: I was always appreciative that Rift was not like ArcheAge: over there you could hardly get a quest done in some regions without being clobbered by PVP players and spam killers.

Also, I feel that there are problems with unbalanced souls and the crafting. Upgrading armor is insanely difficult with crafting goods and the materials for them are in far areas of the map or only available in events. On the souls; I find it frustrating that i can go to the same area with the same level chars but one build can barely kill monsters when the other can perform at a respectable pace. A small example being the Cleric and the melee builds for the Mage. Many of the builds are old and not in sync with the current gameplay. There were some previous slight improvements but I would like to see Gamigo make more positive changes with this. I see a lot of questions about the builds in the General chat and complaints that there is no more PVP. It would be good to improve gameplay and have it work for everyone; the PVP, hardcore, and casual players.

Three: and a topic that has become dear to me and many other players is the dimensions. A sizeable community has grown up around this aspect of the game and I don't think it has been talked about enough. The former Rift Devs were generous to us giving us more objects and building tools after seeing the creativity we players had and the amazing things we could create. It would be a shame to let this awesome game feature go, especially after all the effort and plat gamers put into their dimensions and all the friendships made and the fun contests that are held because of them. They are not everyone's cup of tea but there are still plenty of players that enjoy it and it's worth keeping this game feature going.

Again, thank you Gamigo for the letter and I hope you will work to gain our trust and will listen to the players so there will be new and better content in the future.

While the letter really doesn't address much, it is good to hear anything from the team at this point. Hopefully there will be more in terms of plans soon. The game still has a lot of potential. Listening to the community is good start.

We all know population is a huge problem. The game does get new players, but does it keep them? I doubt it. I've helped out numerous players new to the game only to see them disappear within a week. You've got to spend some time looking at ways to Keep those new players once you get them here.

A few suggestions

Auction House
    Drop the AH restrictions for new players

With the population so low, it's getting hard to sell anything these days. The game is still getting new players. Maybe it's time to drop the AH restriction on selling for new players. I know we all had to spend a bit to gain access, but with the population being what it is, we should encourage new people to Buy & Sell in the AH.

PvP
    Find a way to bring life back to the lower level PvP

The lower level warfronts were great. At those lower levels, no one is geared up. To do well, you had to learn, and understand how to use your skills. It was a great way to learn your roles. Now, those lower level warfronts are dead. You can't even complete the noob PvP quests. If I was new to the game, I would be really disappointment that I couldn't get into a warfront....enough that I might just go off, and find something else to play.

This is by no means a perfect solution, but it might make it possible for lower level players to take part in the warfronts again.

- Mentor everyone down (Level / stats so you rely on your skill and not your gear)
    - No pre-made groups. Make it a random selection of players for each side
    This keeps the teams more balanced

Crafting
    I've always enjoyed crafting in other games. It's really lacking something here are rift. I'm tired atm, so may come back and update this post later with some ideas. Would be great to hear what others have to say about the crafting system as well.

Edit: 11/09/2018

Lock Boxes
    Bring back the lock box / key drops.
    It makes things more fun. Especially for someone new to the game to loot a random present from a mob.

- Improve the contents so that it's something decent for the level of the player
    depending on the rarity of the box of course.
    - Make sure they can be sold at the AH.
    Last edited by ArcticGypsy; 11-09-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Soulwalker

No pre-made groups. Make it a random selection of players for each side
    Yea why allow players to play with their friends, leave it up to RNG just what we are advocating to change.
    Last edited by aphoticrogue; 11-09-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticGypsy View Post
    While the letter really doesn't address much, it is good to hear anything from the team at this point. Hopefully there will be more in terms of plans soon. The game still has a lot of potential. Listening to the community is good start.

We all know population is a huge problem. The game does get new players, but does it keep them? I doubt it. I've helped out numerous players new to the game only to see them disappear within a week. You've got to spend some time looking at ways to Keep those new players once you get them here.

Some of the issues that I think stops new player retention are:
    1/ World Chat - specially 1-29.
    It seriously gets grating hearing the same few trolls rattling on with the same rubbish day in day out. New players try to ask questions and it gets buried in a sea of trash talk.

2/ Low level dungeons. No-one does them, so it is impossible for new players to complete dungeon quests, or repeatedly run dungeons for gear or leveling.

3/ As mentioned PVP. It is impossible for low level players to do Warfronts. This is a big attraction to many low level players.

4/ Guides for Rift are so seriously out of date as to be useless. As are almost all the premade Soul Callings. not how it could be done, but these need serious updating.

Plane Touched

hire the 6 or so rift devs that know rift system to make content

Plane Walker

Well, the new Rift team needs to show short term progress on QoL while also working on some medium and longer term development. I was talking with someone about this and here is a proposal for a couple really (I think) basic things that could be done for QoL that would show purpose, direction, and commitment.

Guild Revamp

Increase guild level cap from 30 to 40. You would just be increasing the level cap, having to input the new exp values to level and per quest, and updating the existing quests for level 70 and perhaps adding a couple new ones. Really not much work here at all from what I can see.

Update perks to level 70 benefits. Again just changing modifiers etc to fit this expac.

With the additional levels, it will result in more points guilds want to spend. Again, nothing to new here, but add additional places to put points in existing perks. For example:

Blood Thirsty - two additional points to go into it increasing %health gain from 15 to 20 to 20 to 25%.
    Killing spree - increase from 9% to 12% to 15% with the two additional points.

Similar things could be done to a bunch of existing perks with little to no time or trouble. It would basically be sketching out a plan, having some other folks look at it, and tweaking if necessary. Then, it could be updated quickly and easily in game.

Medium to Longer Term Related to Guilds

Announce that you are going to study a couple things and will report back to community for feedback after internal discussions. Set a March 15 target date for this and a June 15 finish date.

Things that could be in here:

New Perk slots created from scratch (community ideas and feedback here would save dev time)

Moving beyond perks. A guild vendor that could be purchased with guild exp plus plat and upgraded at max level every time the level cap in game increases in future (assuming level cap increases might happen). So a guild would need to do guild quests and pay plat to get and then upgrade the vendor.

The guild vendor could sell to guildies costing plat and bop:

(Insert Guild Name Here) Potion of the Veteran which would increase exp gained for 4, 8 or 12 hours by 10% (each step from 4 to 8 to 12 hours would be upgraded by guild exp and plat as one time fee). It could also scale from 10, 20, 30% with other upgrade purchases.

(Insert Guild Name Here) Potion of Notoriety which would increase notoriety in the same way.

(Insert Guild Name Here) Potion of Token (you get the drift)

Others could include prestige, favor, runspeed, loot, etc.

I dont think any of this would be too hard or time consuming in the grand scheme of things. GW2 has some stuff like this as many MUDs and other games have for decades.

The key elements of this are that it requires players and guilds to play and work toward goals (giving them something to do), offers things that are worth chasing for players and guilds, and really shows the team is back to both offering improvements that have long been sought by the community and also planning things out over the medium and longer term.

It would also show some deadlines and quasi accountability.

This is just one tiny thing that would help a lot. It could be crowd sourced to the community to come up with a draft plan for the perks (someone like Clowd or Holyroller could easily coordinate this on discord or the forums or in a Google Doc we could all read), suggest potions or enchancements and even pricing for such things as well. From my experience with MUDs back in the 1990s, I dont think this would require a ton of dev time to accomplish, definitely not for the first step.

The old Rift team lurched from big idea to big idea and did a horrible job implementing any and all of it the last couple years. Much of running an MMO or MUD is really about just doing the little jobs right and well. There is so much low hanging fruit here that even a small team could make big improvements. If stuff like this were happening regularly and there seemed to be a plan of any kind that could be believed in, I would step back to Rift. This could easily go from guilds to:

Intel Grind - let intel be dropped in small amounts by most mobs in the expac. Lower costs for upgrades and also increase quest rewards and gains of intel. Let quests, raid bosses, etc all give intel in this expac. Make it easier to get intel and let the costs be lower and people will start to see the benefit of finishing things off in terms of their gear and better gearing alts.

Gear improvements - tweak drop rates from raid bosses in this expac so that people actually have a real chance of getting to overlord. My guild raided BoS from Nov to late June and the drop rates sucked so bad for bis raid gear that would have been much easier in the past. I am sure many people would return to BoS, even with all its warts, to gear alts and finish gearing themselves if they had a chance to well actually finishing gearing their char. Those overlords should be BIS without having to upgrade. The longer term would be that in the future raid content it will just go back to dropping either say raid pants that can be upgraded to tank or to dps etc. If you are vested in that lame upgrade path the old team had, make it so you need a second upgrade to max.

Fragment - lower plat cost significantly to upgrade to max level. Easy enough there. Then let people know you want feedback for a medium term plan to just make it so each fragment needs 4 upgrades each costing 100 plat that will take you right to the same stats anyone else would get without that hated RNG about what stats you get. Let people know that in the next fragment overhaul or at level cap they will either be done away with and go back to the old way of doing things or how it will be improved further at that time to make it clear, reasonably priced, and logical.

Add a new tier of NMR for people to chase.

This doesnt strike me as a rocket science. It just takes a focus on actually making the experience better for players in meaningful ways. For whatever reason, that was not a big target for the old rift team in recent years or maybe something they lacked the connection to actually playing the game to realize this stuff was vitally important to the game. You dont win the expac with a hail mary, but by generally moving the ball forward one yard at a time in a disciplined and methodical manner.
    Last edited by dundare; 11-09-2018 at 06:53 AM.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Thumbs up TY for giving us this non answer post at least it is better than silence.

I'M one of the original beta testers and I have played rift from day one and seen many good and bad things put in this game,I do love my dimensions ect BUT bottom line as we go forward it has been far to long since we received a new expansion{ not throwed together rework like PRIME}.I have always been a patron until the news came out trion has been bought and it scared me enough since no news was given to remove my patrons now mines good until next summer so I can re-up and would once firm information about the game is out, but, I cant see paying out hard earned money if no new development will be in the works.I don't need more mounts and fluffy stuff{hate the new harvest it was fun to run around crazy mad}. I want new content along with so many others I'm sure. I know transitions take time but to keep player base we need more than vague promises. Good luck to the team members that were kept and lets hope getting some new ideas and content will refresh this game which was different than many others.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    If you have specific feedback on the kinds of quality of life changes you’d like to see, be sure to share them with us! It would be very helpful to get a sense for what you feel are your main pain points.
    Others have already stated the QoL needs quite well. But I wanted to share a simple list of needed changes I have observed firsthand.

1) Remove RNG from Frags & Substantially Reduce Platinum Costs to level Frags. It is ridiculous to spend all the time & platinum to try & create a DPS Frag only to see it suddenly get useless Tank Stats (and Vice Versa).

2) Remove multiple tiers from Level 70 (DRR Drop) Essences. You cannot make up for a lack of content by making players farm these 3 silly Rifts for months in hopes of getting 1 BiS Lesser or Greater Essence. Increase Greater Essence drop rates & specifically CP Lesser/Greater Drop Rates.

3) Tenebrean Engines--make them BOA and increase their drop rate substantially. A toon needs about 3 dozen of them and that is a tall order to do when the guild needs your Tank but you want top work on your Alt. (Reward your most loyal players--we have multiple toons to equip. Most, if not all, high end Items & Currencies should be BOA.)

4) Eliminate RNG VP Gear Boxes. Create 2 types of boxes players can CHOOSE: Tank and DPS/Heals. It is insulting to not be able to choose what type of gear our 6,000 CI will buy us.

5) VP Dailies need to be revamped. Some are nice and quick--as they should be. Others are far too long, requiring too many kills/actions (Maze of Steel ones are especially bad). And others have a fatal flaw--they require interaction with 1 specific NPC by 1 player at a time. Any increase in server population will prove those quests to be highly problematic. (Imagine 1,000 players trying to do a quest through 1 NPC at the same time--not possible & grouping doesn't solve the issue.)

6) Obvious as this is...ADD CONTENT. Zone sizes should be much bigger than they are, if you ever want to see the population grow and there need to be many more dungeons for players to explore.

7) Add a Settings option to reduce/eliminate other players' Spell Effects. I love my mage, but that doesn't mean that our Tank/Raid needs to see all of my pretty particle effects, which increase the risk of instances crashing & lowers their frame rate. And we cant simply shut them off without causing issues as many instances require us to see the NPC's spells in order to position/react appropriately (such as the TD lasers). I.e., we need greater control of what we do/don't want to see on the screen.

As you can see throughout the feedback from most of us, players really dislike RNG when it comes to gear, especially higher end gear. Keep that top of mind for any enhancements/changes to RIFT.

We have loved our game--it is up to you to fix it & make it worth loving moving forward. But this community has plenty of us who are long-time gamers who would do whatever we could to see it work.
    Last edited by Reevar; 11-09-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    Guild Revamp

Increase guild level cap from 30 to 40. You would just be increasing the level cap, having to input the new exp values to level and per quest, and updating the existing quests for level 70 and perhaps adding a couple new ones. Really not much work here at all from what I can see.

Update perks to level 70 benefits. Again just changing modifiers etc to fit this expac.

With the additional levels, it will result in more points guilds want to spend. Again, nothing to new here, but add additional places to put points in existing perks. For example:

Blood Thirsty - two additional points to go into it increasing %health gain from 15 to 20 to 20 to 25%.
    Killing spree - increase from 9% to 12% to 15% with the two additional points.
    I just have to say this is the worst idea I read in this thread. I know you are in a large guild, I am in a large guild too, but you should not forget a lot of people are in small guilds. These bonuses give people in large guilds an advantage over the rest. In particular the PvP bonuses are really unfair and should be removed from the guild perks. Why should someone without a guild be at a disadvantage in pvp? If someone doesn't like guilds or large guilds, let them be and don't force them into large guilds. The same can be said about your other guild related suggestions. You should also try to see things from a new guild. It takes a long time to level up. Many things can be improved in rift, but this isn't one of them.
    Last edited by Dico; 11-09-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Artifact love

I mainly play Rift because I love the stories and I thoroughly enjoy collecting artifacts. However, I'm not really loving that finding epic and relic artifacts through hunting is pretty much rarer than hen's teeth. Most of my epics come from my patron boxes, minion hunts, and the auction house. I've got far too many unstable and newer artifact sets sitting around while I hope to get lucky when I'm doing serious scavanging, and nada. While I'm aware that there's the PtW option for finishing out the artifact sets, I'm not willing to put that much money into buying my way through. So a vigorous massaging of drop rates would be appreciated. I don't expect the drop rates to go up to say, rare drop rates, but having them actually happen more than once in every 50-75 runs would be appreciated.

Also, I wousd appreciate a continuation of the spread of twisted artifacts to the comet, unstable artifacts to the Plains and the Plane of Water, and other original zones getting Poison, Burning, and Nightmare artifacts.

Good to finally hear from the team. Here's hoping for good things in the future.

Plane Touched

Default QOL

some things i'ed like to have

1) a dim tab or vault that can store all dim items. a tab or vault that is cross character/shard and can hold every dim item you own untill you put them in a dim. just a text list with each item and how many is fine even if there is a max item limit.

2) drop plat cost from fragments. i don't bother upgrading fragments because i would rather use that plat on other things and do to the rng of them it makes it more unlikely i'll ever upgrade them past level 5.

3) let 70's (max level) que in any dungeon bracket and still complete weeklies. this would fill lower level ques and let us not do the same dungeons over and over and over again.

4) 3 but with ia's

5) easy and hardcore modes on dungeons/raids. hard core players need a place too but in hard core dungeons drop things like bind on equip pets, mounts, and outfits instead of gear (since you should be fairly geared to even try these). i ask for boe so they can sell them for raid costs and so casuals will not feel the need to fail raids to try and get them also maybe add the players name to the item like "found by Lootinany". this would make the player feel better about selling/giving the item away as they may see it on some random player in a city.

6) better pvp. pvp has been messed up since they added the last xpack.

7) a welcoming screen that pops up when you log in (like the store front) but would inform the player of any issues going on also bonuses, events, sales, ect. not just store stuff. so much anger over minor bugs could have been avoided if this was already a thing.

anyway thanks for letting us give some input. hopefully its not all ignored like before and i wish you luck on your acquisitions.
    my raf code 6WF67QEYJYY7TLCMY2M7
    get some free stuff but you'll have to be my friend!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast