+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Summer 2018 RIFT Updates - Official Dev Letter

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Exclamation Summer 2018 RIFT Updates - Official Dev Letter

Hail, Ascended!

A busy six weeks have passed since our spring update letter, and while it's not quite officially summer, the Rift team is full steam ahead preparing for long days and too-hot weekends where you can escape the heat outside by playing Rift! (If you're in the southern hemisphere, clearly you should also bundle up in a blanket with some Rift in the chilly evenings, just saying.)

Grab your sunglasses and a cold drink and let's get to it - and don't forget your towel!

Latest Balance Updates
    The recent work on soul balance picked up speed with a significant set of ability updates in 4.4 Hotfix #13, published live on May 16th. This first pass brought a lot of focus on Warrior souls, with the goal of bringing them up to a more competitive state and more fun to play. If you were considering a new alt, now would be a good time to try a Warrior! Additional fixes went in for Clerics, Rogues, and Mages, as well as overall buff stacking groups between callings.

These balance changes are definitely not considered the end of ongoing soul work, but so far appear to bring us to a more even baseline for soul performance from which more targeted changes can be made. High on that list are Legendary Abilities, additional Warrior improvements, and a look at Clerics for both healing and DPS.

We'd like to offer great appreciation to those players who joined us on PTS Omega to review, parse, and give feedback on the combined changes prior to them going live! You can expect some more future patches to roll out in a similar manner, where a set of changes gets compiled over time, sent to PTS, then reviewed before integrating into the Live and Prime update schedule.

Speaking of PTS and content testing, we're about to have the ability to run both PTS Alpha and PTS Omega at the same time with the same patch, with the shards running different (Live and Prime) rulesets. When we get ready to enable them, we'll be taking PTS offline for a couple of days for behind-the-scenes work. It'll be worth it to be able to get both types of testing at the same time!

Latest Content Updates
    The Seeker scavenger hunt event started on May 16th, and to be completely honest, there's some pleasant surprise at the collaboration we've seen! You've been teaming up to share coordinates and discussing the hunt on the forums - Rift players are the best. Good luck to those still working on the collection, and to those awaiting the challenge results!

Over on Prime, Greenscale made his grand appearance and many of the Ascended rose to the challenge - some of them even met with victory. If you're not quite raid-ready yet, don't fret! Additional changes went in to adjust overpowered Sliver boss abilities, and to smooth out the Prime experience curve. The update also reduced the platinum costs of expanded Role slots for those of you who prefer to have a spec ready for every situation.

The Near Horizon
    While the recent hotfixes have a strong balance focus, on the mid-term horizon we have folks already working on some really great summer events and laying the groundwork for some of our longer term content goals for Live as the Prophecy of Ahnket storyline continues . More frequent bonus events, like this last weekend’s bonus experience on both Live and Prime, are also in the cards. It's hard to talk details on some of these until the patches get closer to complete, but there are definitely some beans to spill . Not too many, though - don't want to spoil the picnic!

Summerfest approaches with the promise of relaxation in Telara - who says an Ascended can't take a vacation from saving the world? New art and dimension items are rolling in, and this writer might be biased, but our artists are killing it! There's also some cleanup work being done to improve the event experience this year.

Summerfest isn't the only world event on the horizon. We've mentioned previously that the team is working on the prelude event for River of Souls on Prime. While these events may not be in the timeline for Live, they’re going to be fun and challenging content that we’ll be looking to release on all worlds! In that process we've uncovered other events from Rift's past that were not tied to specific holidays or raids, and the team is working on bringing these back for an encore on both the Live servers and Prime.

Live
    We have more than balance updates and events planned for Live servers this summer. The team is committed to improving the overall experience on Live servers, and some of the short- and mid-term focuses are:
    • Bring more exciting rewards to the Daily Reward Calendar on Live, more in line with the Prime rewards.
    • Add rare mount drops to Expert Dungeons and Raids on Live. These extra rewards for play have been great on Prime, and this one is an idea that’s definitely worth taking to all servers.
    • Revamp and reduce the credit store on Live. We're looking keenly at player feedback, especially some recent well-presented player discussions, to improve this area. While we view the store as a place for cosmetics, convenience, and some amount of ability for newer players to catch up with their friends, we don’t want it to be perceived as gameplay replacement, so we’ll be making upcoming changes with that in mind.
    • Some may have noticed the recent trend on the Rift store to offer the latest mounts without releasing them inside of a lockbox, and you should expect more of that.
    • As an advanced Soul Balance topic, revisiting the Eternal Weapons and their impact on builds.
    • Planar Fragments, addressing their level of RNG and costs to upgrade.
    • Warfront queue level banding is going to be getting a look in an upcoming test. The more level bands and warfronts there are, the longer queueing takes. Our goal here is to speed up the queues while keeping gameplay fun.

We’ve got a jam-packed summer ahead of us, Ascended. We hope to see you well and victorious in Telara over the next few months!

– The Rift Team
    Last edited by Yaviey; 05-31-2018 at 09:12 AM.

While I miss some actual new content for live in this announcement, I am very happy to hear that you plan to fix balance and itemization issues and plan to remove price tags from everything/revamp the shop in a more fair way. Offering mount drops in dungeons and raids is also very awesome. Bringing live and prime closer together in those regards is a goods idea.

I know resources are limited, so fixing what's wrong and pushing the actual content/next expansion a little back to then launch it in a polished environment seems better than the other way around.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 550+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Thank you for releasing the Dev letter, this gives us all insights into what your thinking is in terms of what is important from your perspective and you know that this will be welcomed by us players.

My only concern is that there is almost nothing about any upcoming content in form of raid/dungeon/warfront/etc. for Live and there is a risk that if there are no hints of this to come then some players may feel disenfranchised and move on to other pastures.

That being said, I am really pleased to see this posted here on the forums, with information pertinent to both live and prime players that will satisfy the need for balance as this has been something everyone wanted.

Well received, though still think you need to do a whiteboard reveal with content hints for live e.g. 4.5/4.6 or even 5.0 on there somewhere - actually, for a laugh can one of you just write on a whiteboard down the side those numbers and put hundreds of post it notes all over it as if to hide things....
    Last edited by AtoningUnifex; 05-31-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: stuff

I personally find this to be extremely concerning for live. It's been seven months since live has been provided with content. And that content was the most bare bones delivery that I can even conceptualize. And before that, the iteration of content was one middling zone and an extremely modest rehash of RotP.

We're at the point where live is seeing less new content over the course of a year than it once did in single raids that used to come out on a near quarterly basis. And yet it still gets worse than that because there doesn't even seem to be a faint plan for content in the future of live.

That is, unless you count the tiniest tweaks to seasonal events. It was stated on stream that live can expect three content updates this year. The way I see it, there are two cases. Either seasonal events are being counted towards that or they are not. If they are, the conclusion is that live is just getting totally stiffed on content this year. If they don't count, then the plan is to push out three content updates beyond the Summerfest patch, which would be about a patch every two months. Frankly, I'm in no way willing to believe that the resources are there to facilitate such a schedule.

The only conclusion that seems logical to me is that there are no substantial plans for content of any sort. If the current state of affairs doesn't qualify live as being in maintenance mode, I don't know what does. Obviously this is a rather pessimistic outlook on the subject. But I think that the numerous failures in terms of content delivery and content quality more than warrant such a perspective.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

While I enjoy some of the changes coming to Live , again no word for whats coming to Rift in terms of content
    I believe you said that you couldn't say much at previous livestream but most of our questions about future content will be answered at the Dev letter
    Well really nothing answered in this letter , except that in the coming months you are going to do some tweaks/changes.
    Last edited by simpa1988; 05-31-2018 at 10:01 AM.

This dev letter is just a joke...

You've teased us with new content (especially on facebook) revealed in a May dev letter... But there is no new content annonced in this dev letter.

Almost a year without new content on live and you annonce litterally nothing for live players.

Very very disapointed.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

Shadowlander

I've been literally hanging for the Dev letter.. but that is an absolute joke!

So we get nothing new for live unless you count that balancing that made primalists worse?

So no new raids for 2018 for live... guess thats it then

Soulwalker

Default =(

I am happy about the mount chances in experts and some class balance.
    A lot of people on LIVE were looking forward to this letter, and I feel as if it was once again another let down. I think we know why all the devs were laughing about all the content questions in one of the previous streams and that's because there is none coming. Just look on the forums at all the posts from YOUR players, see them begging for something new and giving solutions not just complaining.
    We love Rift and want to see it succeed but it is getting very very hard to keep our chins up and hope for something on the next patch.

Rift Chaser

This is absolutely sad. It's quite disappointing that there is nothing to look forward to for the foreseeable future in this game.

I figured after this long we'd get something substantial and new to do this summer for Live. Not an already baked in Summer event or bonus weekends.

Where is the rehash of GSB that was "finalized" months ago according to the last dev letter? At least that would be something different than running BoS for the rest of the summer.

All my toons are 70 on my main server and I've maxed out eternals on most of my toons already. And while prime is an OK distraction, it's not all that fun doing it again there too.

Please give us something NEW to do on live.

Polish up the fortress siege event. Add some bosses to BoS. Make a hard mode TD or QF. Please just toss us a bone.
    Last edited by Skiye; 05-31-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Default New content is needed, but...

I agree that it would definitely be nice to have something new and shiny to play with in Live. Simon has hinted something. There's something suggested about a new zone but it's not really a new zone. Greenscale was dangled before us, but also possibly taken off the table due to a personnel departure. And it's true that some of what we've received this expansion seems less new and more "reworked". I agree that for many players, the game feels tired.

But (there's always a "but" right).

But, there's one crucial element to our game play that has annoyed everyone from the hard core raiders (who cleared BoS in a week) to the PvPers (who either ROFLstomp or Die continuously). Casual players are also hurting. With limited role options - if you're a warrior, play chantion or go home. With overly specialized requirements - not just ANY raid healer, but one that can either do 400K dps or a link spec. Anyway, the one thing I'm talking about is BALANCE. We've argued long and hard. Posted screenshots of 10 primalists killing Beligosh in 11 seconds. We've suggested ways to smooth things out. And we've exploited the imbalances (cuz, heal specs should also be top dps).

Anyway, that was probably the 1st priority for ALL of us. Fix the imbalances. And it looks like that's what they have prioritized for us.

Yes, content should be on the list next (in my opinion). But I am thankful that maybe some rogues will have high dps specs AND an interrupt once again.
    Last edited by SonoMoenia; 05-31-2018 at 12:25 PM.

I read it and unsub. I'm done with Trion.
    Last edited by Learan; 05-31-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|DoT

Plane Walker

New raid content for live? No
    "New" rehashed raid content for live? Went from almost finalized to not ready to not even in the works.

It seems like much of what you list in the letter is patting yourselves on the back for the little that came out from the last letter. Greenscale blight on prime? It was supposed to be the beginning of a fast stream of content. Now you are saying the prelude to RoS event and not RoS - lol lol lol.

Why not just say we have given up the ghost on original PVE content. We have nothing in terms of vision or ability to execute even MMO staples at this point. We hope we can still release stuff on Prime because you know we locked those people into Patron, but who knows maybe just a few seasonal events will help.

Frankly, this just stinks. It is hard to imagine being more disappointed in Trion but as of this announcement I am going to shut down raiding in our guild. We have been raiding BoS since last October. The drop bingo absolutely sucks, but we keep doing it out of habit and friendship with each other. Now, what do we have to look forward to? Maybe a letter in the fall that you might be working on something for live. You consistently betray your customers and are surprised when people in the community see you as a company whose future which once looked long and healthy is now best compared to a bad joke.

Sorry, I am just done with this stuff. I have been here since beta but this is it.
    Last edited by dundare; 05-31-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Soulwalker

Zero mention of primalist which took a considerable nerf in the "balance" update but yet rogues are still doing an insane overall amount of DPS. Please take some time and consideration of looking into bringing primal dps back up some.

I want to say thank you so much for the workings of the souls. Even though they are not needed for building, the need was there to help friends of builders enjoy what they like in Rift. I for one would love to see my friends happier. I really miss some of my pvp and raiding friends who are doing stuff elsewhere. I know soul balance is the first step to making both pvp and raids flourish again.

I really love the store clean up idea. So much has been needed there for a while. I am really grateful there were players who are much smarter than I that provided thoughts on this subject. Clean up of holidays sounds awesome and scary. Not knowing what to expect always freaks me out.

Warfront ques, that is great thanks I know many new players get frustrated sitting in a queue. I personally would love to see twinks and conquest back. Just because I am weird I like the niches they provided in my day. Not saying bring them back just saying I like them.

(Request)
    On the subject of the store and holiday clean up. I know it might be too late or more than likely even more not something anyone would do. If the holiday currency cost of the older dim items could be dropped that would be amazing. I know many people don't farm as crazy as I do. There are so many amazing items that we love, it is getting harder and harder every year to farm enough currency for what we need throughout the year.

The mount thing has been great. I wouldn't have bothered with Greenata or the Planer Plucker if they were in boxes. Don't get me wrong I wanted them, but I had decided I had my perfect mount long ago thanks Vladd where ever you are now for my beautiful Luv Buggy. However, when they were not in a box all my sensibility went right out the door and I had to have them.

That was just my thoughts. Thank you old farts and new guys for pushing through the muck and helping make the waters clear again. Raises a mug to you in hopes of a brighter future.

Telaran

I personally would rather they fix balance before giving us a broken raid balanced with broken souls. I think it's a good decision.
    Cash shop changes sound good.
    Adding fluff to experts is nice, may have to do them again.
    Eternal balancing is what I really hope you guys get right.
    Daily calendar looks hopeful.

All in all I'm semi happy with these changes, I do wish there were more but I also hope you guys get these right. Time will tell though, we've been promised things like this before but it's a promise to "look" into it, not always to fix it.

I'm amazed it took almost a year to realize these were bigger issues then I believe you thought they were.

Please feel free to make me eat my words.
    Zerofate@faeblight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast