+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dev Update Note 03/27 (Ability Lag, Souls, PvP)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Deeew View Post
    mystic archer arrows are a huge issue, and should be covered under the "hide other players fx" option.
    There are a lot of skills that do not respect the "hide other players skill fx" option. Many were added, or at least their animations changed, in Storm Legion or later. Most of the ones that are bothersome for client rendering are the large animated ground AOEs cast by clerics and mages (I'm looking at you, Firestorm, but there are a couple large rectangular ones also, and some cast by other Callings).

Firestorm (for example) is displayed one way (a benign green circle) if you are the caster, or in the party (or group within a raid) of the caster, and in a larger much more laggy way if you are anyone else. It's a spectacular animation, don't get me wrong, but the only reason we're not seeing 40 or 50 of those stacked on Prime is because Mystic Archer is so popular. My guess is each one of those arrows is independently animated. Possibly the hide option should display a limited rendering, so we know where other people's ground AOEs are placed.
    Last edited by mashata; 03-28-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ffion View Post
    This has been a persistent problem for me since Prime Launch:
    This not a problem. That backbone router has important information to pass and as a result it is designed to limit the amount of uninteresting information that it replies to, like traceroutes. In the event that you were getting ACTUAL packet loss, each hop after it would also show packet loss, but it doesn't.

Default Something To Keep In Mind

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hi folks,

While there are events, content, and soul-work going on in development for both Live and Prime right now, we wanted to address a handful of priorities after this past weekend’s play experiences. (Yes, we all play, usually anonymously - we may have been in your group!)

Here’s a quick update on what we’ve got cooking this week.
    We are doing a long restart tomorrow morning (Wednesday 03/28) and pushing the weekly patch update to Thursday (03/29) instead, in order to get more adjustments in as fast as possible. Details will be in the patch notes!

Let’s talk ability lag, which usually happens when there’s a large zone event going on. This affects both Live and Prime:
    • This may come as a surprise: Some of the zone events on Prime are bigger than even the biggest, record setting events RIFT had during its beta and original launch.
    • Since then, souls and abilities have gotten more numerous, more complicated, and more resource intensive, primarily in their use of server CPU.
    • Even with the newer hardware that the Prime cluster is running on (it’s a beast – the newest in the company), we’ve all experienced that at times it is not always able to keep up with the mass of data.
    • The reason this may affect you even when you’re personally not in a big zone event is because large numbers of people sharing your “player service” are.
    • Last week: We made some adjustments and undertook diagnostics of the causes. While we haven't seen a huge benefit yet, we certainly gained more info to work from as we move forward.
    • This week: We’re dedicating more server cores to player ability processing in this week’s update.
    • After that: we’ll see if we also need to bring even more hardware into the cluster to help.
    • As the more significant, longer term fix, we’ll dive into the specific souls abilities that are the biggest CPU eaters, and the way they’re built internally. This isn’t about rebalancing, it’s about making sure that they perform and respond well.
    • Both Live and Prime will benefit from the work being done here.* More details here as we have them.

Regarding a handful of abilities that need some extra balance for Prime…
    • Yes, we agree there are many thoughts on abilities that we should take a pass at on Live as well...
    • However, nothing on Live compares to the crazy things that a couple of abilities were doing on Prime. (We're looking at YOU, Elemental Barrage and Wrathful Exuberance!)
    • Prime has a very differently tuned challenge curve for both PCs and NPCs.
    • We do NOT want to impact Live with Prime tweaks. We had to add some new tuning capacity to the ability system to make sure we could do that, and we’ll be rolling out Prime-only changes to these abilities this week.
    • [edited to add...]We’re rolling out Prime-only changes to these abilities this week, and taking a look at a couple of others that are effectively forcing people to play roles in a very specific way.
    • We are definitely sorry we had to leave an ability disabled for longer than a week – but we didn’t want to correct a Prime issue and have it negatively impact Live.
    • Expect Prime-only adjustments to those this week and for the abilities to return shortly following, should all the fixes prove out.

Regarding high end PvP on Prime specifically:
    • Following this weekend’s play, we came to the same conclusion that a number of you did, now that the higher end PvP ranks are beginning to fill out more.
    • Low end PvP was a blast, mid range is plenty fun.
    • At the high end though, wow, healing is way too much of a thing.
    • We’d have liked to have had a more complete answer for this week’s update, but anything we did on this that quickly would have negative side effects.
    • For now, please know that we’re moving on the best solution for this next.

There’s a lot more going on in the team right now, in content, in gameplay, and in tech, that will benefit all of RIFT, and we wanted to address some of these high points for you, early.

Thanks very much for playing!
    - The RIFT Team
    This post is meant as a means of friendly criticism and support of the general RIFT Game. Not that I don't appreciate Trion making RIFT an even wider platform and community, because I greatly love and enjoy this game. However, Live has been asking for certain fixes for a very very very long time now, in particular balancing out the Mage, Rogue, Warrior, and Cleric classes and roles for better DPS and Healing instead of restricting the classes to some weird mutant build just to keep up. Most of us would also like to understand the logic of Stats, in particular how a warrior can build a Chantion or Tank and keep up with dps, but when switching to DPS the DPS loss is significant. In short, all classes and roles are very unbalanced and makes no sense. It kind of disappoints me to see Prime getting so much love when Live isn't fixed yet. I play a Main Mage, and the mages took a huge hit a long time ago to their DPS and Healing, and haven't been right since. Not to mention Live has been asking for certain "bumps" at ports and steps to be fixed so you don't go flying across the map when you hit one "While Mounted". Another concern most of us on Live have is the grind-fest. I can certainly say that I appreciate putting in some work for upgrades, but im sure i speak for the majority when I say the grinding is too ridiculous, most people just give up and go to Prime from the pure aggravation and standards that have been set, then feel like they get penalized for their efforts for a mechanic that was already in the game in particular the amount of expert dungeons that are needed for the Eternal Weapon, because unless your lucky enough to be in a guild that runs the Experts or Raids you will never enjoy the upgrades. Not many run Experts anymore, and those that want to and more importantly NEED to, sit in Queue for HOURS at a time never to get a group, even when advertising in chat for one. Not fun Trion, not fun at all. In all due respect, it is the of the opinions of not just myself, but most on Live that all the focus with Prime instead of first fixing Live is intolerable and disheartening at best. However as stated, I love this game and the community surrounding it, RIFT has come a long way since launch and is my first choice and last choice for an MMO. Having said all of this, I hope you hear myself and the rest of us out when we say Class Fixes are very essential for us. Thank you so much for all your efforts in the development of this game, I can't wait to see RIFT in a couple years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagly View Post
    This post is ~Snip ~
    Dude! Warning that should have an epilepsy warning I still have spots in front of my eye from looking at it. Just sayin.

As for your post, I feel your pain. I have been on live since day 1 and also feel a lot has been neglected for such a long time. Rift was originally a p2p game and enjoyed frequent fixes and updates. Then it went f2p supposedly to allow more revenue to make more fixes, faster and better updates, etc. However, the opposite was true as we received increasingly worse service, worse updates, less quality, and less of pretty much anything good. Fast forward to today. Prime is now active and is a "paid" service so to speak so I as a "paying customer" expect a better quality product with faster fixes and quality updates.
    Please come join our community

Click Here <O└d Skool>Click Here

Shadowlander

It would have been so much nicer to have the real classic experience and not bring these classes in at all until their respective expansions

Soulwalker

Default Why is the Vigil server locked

Why is the server locked and for how long??

Quote Originally Posted by viinjo View Post
    Why is the server locked and for how long??
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5347709
    Okiedokie@Vigil

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hi folks,

[*]At the high end though, wow, healing is way too much of a thing.[*]We’d have liked to have had a more complete answer for this week’s update, but anything we did on this that quickly would have negative side effects.[*]For now, please know that we’re moving on the best solution for this next.[/LIST]
    Thanks very much for playing!
    - The RIFT Team
    Was this not expected when all damage output is 1/3 the tooltip in pvp but healing is practically not reduced from the tooltip?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
    Was this not expected when all damage output is 1/3 the tooltip in pvp but healing is practically not reduced from the tooltip?
    Healing is fine in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerican View Post
    It would have been so much nicer to have the real classic experience and not bring these classes in at all until their respective expansions
    This is true.

Rift Prime is not a good classic experience but it is still fun to play.

Soulwalker

Thumbs down What a shock...

Not only are we getting boned out of play time twice in one week - again - but the length of time seems to be the usual indefinite amount of down time rather than the stated three hours. I can't believe I left WoW for this.

Quote Originally Posted by LordPadriac View Post
    Not only are we getting boned out of play time twice in one week - again - but the length of time seems to be the usual indefinite amount of down time rather than the stated three hours. I can't believe I left WoW for this.

To be fair, I think they are trying to address a lot of the server problems today, and the patch comes tomorrow. I'm no engineer, I don't know all that is involved, but it's never as simple as people try to make it seem.

I'm glad for the extended downtimes if they are able to address issues.
    Serenity
    is not freedom from the storm,
    but peace amid the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
    And there in-lies the problem. So many are too worried about dps in pvp they forget or never knew RIFT was meant to be a pve based game. Call it what you wish, but the threat to the majority of people(which are pve players) is the pvp community too worried about just that one single aspect of the game. I enjoy PvP as well, but when the vast majority of the game is centered and focused around end game PvE, you have to kind of mute it when it comes to PvP, as its not really the most crucial element of RIFT, but certainly is a fun element. The problem always has been and always will be damage output and mutant builds. Consider taking a look at PvP Gear vs PvE Gear. The only real difference is in the amount of Endurance you gain. Now I know some feel a little different and that's okay, I like different perspectives and views. But the point here is that RIFT is PvE Based and driven. You don't see PvP Raids do you? So you just gotta ask yourself: "Why complain about PvP at all when the majority of the game lies in PvE?" Just food for thought.

Their properly doing most of the patch today.

However they won't turn all of it on until tomorrow, then soon after the server goes down come it and change the downtime to 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagly View Post
    ~Snip~
    Really? I am begging you to please stop killing my eyes.

On the real tho, at one time we did have PVP raids, PVP rifts, PVP etc. and so on. I do not claim to know how easy or hard it would be, however, I envision a fix that in thought is easy. When a player enters a PVP state their actual gear is ignored and a basic set of gear is what the player is playing with for pvp and everyone gets the exact same. Then it comes down to spec and skill. If they feel the need to even it out a little more ignore planar attunement and other things that levels the playing field. Many other games use this same system and it works fine and players love it.
    Please come join our community

Click Here <O└d Skool>Click Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast