+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dev Update Note 03/27 (Ability Lag, Souls, PvP)

Soulwalker

This has been a persistent problem for me since Prime Launch:

Champion

I still remember where Brutwacht was one of the fullest servers, and every Sunday evening at prime time you have a noticeable ability Lag up to 1 second even when you were in instances running on a different server.

When I transferred my character to another EU server with a smaller population, there were no longer such delays.

I suspect from this behavior that the calculations for the execution of the abilities only take place on the home server on which the character was created and cannot be taken over by other servers to relieve the full server.

So I didn't quite get it!!
    What exactly are you doing for PvP?

In any case, I'm happy that you guys working for the common goal we all aim to, Better Rift playing experience.
    BUT all I see is a problem fixing not adding value to the gameplay, for instance, you clearly see there are PvPers in Prime so why don't you add back PvP gear with vengeance and valor along with the ranks?
    I keel Em Too Fast !

Soulwalker

Will be interesting to see, how you'll work around PvP cause it's much needed and has been so for ages on live as well..

Never the less, thumps up for actually informing us about some of your plans..
    Ashtry@Zaviel - Warrior
    Scaramouch@Zaviel - Cleric
    Kashoggi@Zaviel - Mage

Shield of Telara

Sorry but this is essentially just an update for Prime. Great for Prime players, I hope they can enjoy themselves more now but I am a live player. I see no concrete change for class balancing live or content coming to live.

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary since any class balancing on live.

I`m glad to see ability lag get fixed sooner or later.

But when you touch healing in PVP that`s always turning into disaster. Can you not nerf heal into the ground, and don`t render healers to useless this time? Some of us enjoy and prefer healing and not play a shooter game.
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    When you count the 30 Mystic Archers and the 500 bolts they have spawned onthe ground I can see it.
    No one but the MA even needs to see their bolts, so just get rid of that for the rest of us. And while you're at it, get rid of the effects totally from FireStorm.and the big swirly fire looking effect from whatever class does that. Talk about lag (yea, client side, not server side - but every little bit helps!).
    DimplesWarrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    DweiaRogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    LaurieCleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

As a player who's always had "issues" with game freezes, the infamous "lag" problems, and of course game crashes with the DC's this has always been the most annoying problem. Any of the above can seriously KILL game content and i've seen it in action now where it's critical with the RAIDS that everyone NEEDS to be there, functional, NO lag, and NOT DC'd. Ever played BOS and a Tank goes AWOL??? Ever try getting your timing right to move out of a Boss kill zone or jump over something and all of a sudden you're a paraplegic? Yes, your dead, a 100% wipe on the RAID, and game-time GONE. Same old same old. Now i don't even touch the mob scene in the Peeks when a zone event boss spawns. It's insane and a guaranteed game-freeze and then disconnect. Still. So why should Prime be any different? I've found a few personal solutions to "help" with my own PC lag issues when doing DRR's or the Crifting because YOU know once again DPS is moot and dysfunctional when your lag goes thru the roof! I still think it's totally unfair in these huge groups that the rewards & drops are given to the highest DPSers so therefore if lag is killing your rewards then it's a lost battle. So, either upgrade the wire going into your building and everything it connects to in order to handle THIS amount of players or B, put limits on how many players are "there" for these situations. Neither of these real world solutions are very popular with the accountants, but you know just like a transit bus, there's only so many seats for riders, get a bigger bus, or get more for the extra riders, or tell the rest to wait for the next bus.
    "Life is Tough. Wear a helmet"

Soulwalker

Default Healing pvp 40-50 is fine in prime

It is just ppl expect to go with pve talents and kill a healer. You need to spec pvp (stun/reduce healing debuff, debilitates etc) and you will kill healers with no problem.

4 ppl with pve spec I can outheal. The moment a decent pvper comes with healing debuff I lose.
    Last edited by Shodaime; 03-28-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Thanks for the update, Brasse.
    Are you a player looking for class guides and other Rift content?
    ChamberDown Youtube Channel

Are you a new/returning player? Check out all the souls in Rift!
    All Callings/Souls in Rift!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hi folks,

While there are events, content, and soul-work going on in development for both Live and Prime right now, we wanted to address a handful of priorities after this past weekend’s play experiences. (Yes, we all play, usually anonymously - we may have been in your group!)

Here’s a quick update on what we’ve got cooking this week.
    We are doing a long restart tomorrow morning (Wednesday 03/28) and pushing the weekly patch update to Thursday (03/29) instead, in order to get more adjustments in as fast as possible. Details will be in the patch notes!

Let’s talk ability lag, which usually happens when there’s a large zone event going on. This affects both Live and Prime:
    • This may come as a surprise: Some of the zone events on Prime are bigger than even the biggest, record setting events RIFT had during its beta and original launch.
    • Since then, souls and abilities have gotten more numerous, more complicated, and more resource intensive, primarily in their use of server CPU.
    • Even with the newer hardware that the Prime cluster is running on (it’s a beast – the newest in the company), we’ve all experienced that at times it is not always able to keep up with the mass of data.
    • The reason this may affect you even when you’re personally not in a big zone event is because large numbers of people sharing your “player service” are.
    • Last week: We made some adjustments and undertook diagnostics of the causes. While we haven't seen a huge benefit yet, we certainly gained more info to work from as we move forward.
    • This week: We’re dedicating more server cores to player ability processing in this week’s update.
    • After that: we’ll see if we also need to bring even more hardware into the cluster to help.
    • As the more significant, longer term fix, we’ll dive into the specific souls abilities that are the biggest CPU eaters, and the way they’re built internally. This isn’t about rebalancing, it’s about making sure that they perform and respond well.
    • Both Live and Prime will benefit from the work being done here.* More details here as we have them.

Regarding a handful of abilities that need some extra balance for Prime…
    • Yes, we agree there are many thoughts on abilities that we should take a pass at on Live as well...
    • However, nothing on Live compares to the crazy things that a couple of abilities were doing on Prime. (We're looking at YOU, Elemental Barrage and Wrathful Exuberance!)
    • Prime has a very differently tuned challenge curve for both PCs and NPCs.
    • We do NOT want to impact Live with Prime tweaks. We had to add some new tuning capacity to the ability system to make sure we could do that, and we’ll be rolling out Prime-only changes to these abilities this week.
    • [edited to add...]We’re rolling out Prime-only changes to these abilities this week, and taking a look at a couple of others that are effectively forcing people to play roles in a very specific way.
    • We are definitely sorry we had to leave an ability disabled for longer than a week – but we didn’t want to correct a Prime issue and have it negatively impact Live.
    • Expect Prime-only adjustments to those this week and for the abilities to return shortly following, should all the fixes prove out.

Regarding high end PvP on Prime specifically:
    • Following this weekend’s play, we came to the same conclusion that a number of you did, now that the higher end PvP ranks are beginning to fill out more.
    • Low end PvP was a blast, mid range is plenty fun.
    • At the high end though, wow, healing is way too much of a thing.
    • We’d have liked to have had a more complete answer for this week’s update, but anything we did on this that quickly would have negative side effects.
    • For now, please know that we’re moving on the best solution for this next.

There’s a lot more going on in the team right now, in content, in gameplay, and in tech, that will benefit all of RIFT, and we wanted to address some of these high points for you, early.

Thanks very much for playing!
    - The RIFT Team
    Thank You for finally inform community about issues with a game and what you are planing to do with it.
    We were waiting for it long time and now i belive we can wait for a bit longer to finally enyoy a game in full.
    Now i even more happy that folks from Trion Moderation Team deleted my Thread and give me warning(Unproductive Behavior/Post Content) just for being perhaps to much but judgmental.
    To be honest i am a bit affraid now to post any not positive comment about Rift to not be banned.
    I hope that freedom of speech exist still here and critiscism even not nice to hear will be taken seriously and not as the theme which is uncomfortable and deleted.

If you are playing in WFs then you know some of the problems. The unkillables that destroy the fun level and frankly are destroying interest in PvP. Last night I wanted to complete my weekly quest. I needed 3 wins and 100 kills of course. Took 8 matches (6-2) to get 100 kills. One a win at the 5 flag KR resulted in 0 kills for my entire team. It's broken, okay. Why would anybody want to do WFs if you can't kill people. I don't.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Soulwalker

Something that helped me with the lag when I played a DAOC freeshard hosted from EU last year, I used WhatTheFast. It gives you the best connection you can get from where your playing and I almost had no lag ever. You can try it for free, I think for a month

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Well I said this dozen times ability lag occurued mostly when zone events used for farming planarite and abused by players and even suggested that lower completion times for them, since on prime players are actively doing zone events lowering their time to 45minutes from 120minutes are more logical but what's done is done.

Nice to see you guys decided to make a system to let you tune prime and live indefinitely, hope this stuff will solve some problems but please be hurry.
    This isn't a solution. Yes it will help but 45 minutes of lag instead of 120 minutes isn't acceptable by any standard. Diagnosing, identifying, and resolving the issue is far more important than throwing a band aid at it. How about you let the professionals do their jobs, yeah?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ffion View Post
    This has been a persistent problem for me since Prime Launch:
    Contact your ISP. Trion is responsible for the last, maybe the last 2, hops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast