Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By TrionBrasse
  • 2 Post By aileen
  • 1 Post By Frenchstud
  • 2 Post By Ting
  • 7 Post By RoughRaptors
  • 2 Post By Artifa
  • 1 Post By Seathasky

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: [OFFICIAL] ABILITY LAG UPDATE

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default [OFFICIAL] ABILITY LAG UPDATE

Hello all,

The RIFT team spent time over the past several days (including the weekend), chasing down trails left by the Ability Lag Monster. They have some leads under review and we will update everyone when we get them nailed down and ready to patch.
    In the interim, relogging usually helps clear up the built up ability lag.

This creature chiefly affects the Prime service, but we anticipate that any fix will also be applied to the Live servers and should help there too!

Brasse

[I have made this the official thread for all responses, to keep discussion in one place, as this affects players in both services and not all Live players can post to the Prime section.]
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 03-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Hope this solves it, people were getting same kind of problem on live specially on Vostigar Peaks when event bosses up.

Thanks for giving update about this but if that kind of step taken early would make things better for those left :/
    Last edited by aileen; 03-26-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Telaran

Thread subscribed to, nice to see something official on this.

Hope the guys working over at the weekend got doughnuts on the house! All we needed to know was that you knew this was an issue and was being worked on.

Maybe people will finally realise we aren't making this up anymore, and it is not as simple an answer as "you're in the EU, what did you expect?".
    Last edited by wolvojay; 03-26-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Plane Touched

Thank you for the update. I hope that this will truly make the lag problems better since I know with technology nothing can be truly fixed.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

today dc's and lag is horrible
    everytime i reconnect the IP suffix changes and/or the port changes too
    208.94.27.XXX:65XX
    when i look from my end and remotely(network-tools.com), everything stops at 209.200.144.205 a209-200-144-205.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com so from the outside no one can see the internal traceroute table but there is ALOT of hops like more than 20 which is ridiculous, even for Akamai which times out due to too many hops.

I dunno if Akamai is the server provider, but either the ISP is limiting the bandwidth speed on the IP/ports for some reason or the Game Servers themselves are having issues with too many connections and is bottlenecking.

Like all the internet games like PUBG, Sea of thieves etc, if you dont have the proper server package, stuff like this happens when you underestimate the amount of people that use the service all at once.

while writing this, yet again i got dc and got a new IP/port when reconnected.

TD ; DR
    feels like its Trion's Service Provider that is getting packet loss or bandwidth limiting which results in an ACK bit error which slows things down to even a DC and not the "Game" itself.

Hope it gets resolved asap.

If you are experiencing overall lag and packet loss between hops you will get "rubberbanding" as communication between you an the server has delayed ack packets causing the netcode on the server to report where you are and where you should be between the packet loss.

However, for the 99% of players who are only experiencing ability lag, this is an internal communication issue with either their database or failure to properly load balance due to inadequate server resources. Considering the "LAG MONSTER" only appears when there is significant load I would bet on the ladder.

Due to funding limitation set on by Trion higher ups I can only assume they thought the load would die down after a few weeks, but they now have an 11 day subscription timer where people will just move on.

Thank you for the response, I am looking forward to the fixes!
    Hold fast and we will watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Engineering update:

I've been working out some solutions to aid in the ability lag as mentioned above. One is already implemented, which is our hidden shard Orphiel to take some strain off of Vigil to host instances. For next week I've added in some better support to spread out instances going there so it should only be dungeon and raids, not simply every instance.

Another change for Wednesday will also go into effect. I sadly cannot give too many details but I am hopeful that this will be somewhat of a relief on the servers to remedy the ability lag. We're going to very closely monitor how this pans out and make further adjustments as necessary.
    Previously known as SupermanSocks

Rift Disciple

Just want to reiterate what others have said, because it is important.

This is a load issue, if you check timestamps on people's reports, it almost only occurs during primetime NA (and maybe primetime EU??).

Reasonable people understand this happens on large launches, but we do expect a quick response when a service we pay money for is not functional.

Those of us who are still enjoying RIFT Prime, maybe we can expect some relief when the "1 month and then on to a new game" crowd moves on.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Shadowlander

Thank you dev team for finally addressing this!

The first time I saw actual network/server lag was last night in a Codex WF and it was insane. I was level 27 or 28. I also haven't seen a ton of ability lag but FWIW the few times I did, it was above level 20 in Gloamwood and possibly the occasional BG (I've been fine in instances and most BGs, though). Not sure why I haven't been affected as much by either.

Edit: I'm speaking about Prime server.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 03-27-2018 at 06:35 AM.
    Playing Prime server! Guardian Cleric Healer main, Bard alt. Launch vet returning for first time since P2P days.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Engineering update:

I've been working out some solutions to aid in the ability lag as mentioned above. One is already implemented, which is our hidden shard Orphiel to take some strain off of Vigil to host instances. For next week I've added in some better support to spread out instances going there so it should only be dungeon and raids, not simply every instance.

Another change for Wednesday will also go into effect. I sadly cannot give too many details but I am hopeful that this will be somewhat of a relief on the servers to remedy the ability lag. We're going to very closely monitor how this pans out and make further adjustments as necessary.
    Is that why i keep loading into a world with out npc or mobs??? and everyone els gets i am in different instance do you want to join???

Why not add EU hidden server so we dont have 300ms ping so we can play melee -.-

Thanks for the official response I hope the weekend work didn't put too much stress on your family lives.

That being said, not only the ability lag, but also client crashes and the ridiculous discrepancy in dps/healing output between different classes is also something that needs to be addressed as soon as possible (without simply disabling abilities that define a class). I think it's fair to say Trion has until current Patron status runs out (which for me is in 41 days) to implement some drastic fixes or to make a very convincing post about a fix being around the corner, or a very large portion of the returning players won't renew their subscription.
    Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

Telaran

Default Some dungeons lag more than others :S

Hey all

Not sure if this will help at all but something I have definitely noticed is that some dungeons strangely lag more than others, as an example, I've now run Kings Breach about 10 times, each time I've been in there I and all other party members have received no ability lag whatsoever, on the other hand in places like Iron Tomb the whole party will receive ability lag every time.

I'm no expert and I obviously don't know how you guys have things set up but this seems more than just a coincidence. Especially given tonight, I've just entered a random LFD and ended up in Kings Breach, we then had a DPS dropout before we'd even reached the first boss (but we had killed a lot of the starting mobs), everything going fine, then we get a replacement but it also transports us to Iron Tomb where yet again everyone has ability lag. So in a matter of a few seconds we went from being perfectly fine, to receiving ability lag once the dungeon had changed.

I just thought this info might come in useful to one of the Rift techies as it seems very strange that it's guaranteed to happen every time.
    Last edited by wolvojay; 03-28-2018 at 12:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread