Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Prime Server Name Challenge - THE POLL IS CLOSED!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default RIFT Prime Server Name Challenge - THE POLL IS CLOSED!

The Dev team has narrowed it down to TEN finalists, and now we get to vote.
    The poll will be open until 11:59 PM Pacific on Wednesady, February 28th.
    The WINNER will be announced on Friday's Livestream!

Go forth and fulfil your civil duty!
    http://bit.ly/2ETAwBB

;-)#
    Brasse
    Last edited by Fasti; 02-27-2018 at 06:32 AM.

http://bit.ly/2ETAwBB

this should be the working link ^^

names to choose from

Meridian
    Wintercharm
    Usukhel
    Atrophinius
    Asha Catari
    Mathosia
    Port Scion
    Greenscale
    Orphiel
    Vigil
    Last edited by Aranka; 02-26-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Ascendant

... and the fact that you cannot enter without logging in to yet another service, was done for ... ?

* i can see the point, but then it should have been possible to cast your votes in game or on the TrionWorlds website, somewhere... but that's just my opinion of course

Soulwalker

Huge mega-rant on why single-vote polls are NEVER EVER a good voting system for picking one outcome out of several under any circumstances, compared to multiple-vote polls:

Or if you want the explanation in video form:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orybDrUj4vA

To be blunt, just the mere existence of three (or more) options under single vote is already enough to activate the spoiler effect. In a nutshell, it means that a majority opinion (one that more people would have been happy with) will lose just because some less popular opinion got written on the poll.

Overly Simple Example #1:

A hypothetical ballot has 2 options, Yes or No. 45% of people vote Yes and 55% vote No. But add a third option "Absolutely no way" or some equivalent, and a bunch of would-be No voters vote for that instead. Now it's 45% Yes, 40% No, and 15% Absolutely no way. Poof, with as few as 3 options present, the result that fewer people like is the result that wins.

Example #2:

Suppose there's only two name options, A and B. Suppose that when there's only these two choices, 52% prefer A and 48% prefer B, so A wins. Now add a third less popular option C. Its very existence on the list will cause some people to abandon their otherwise A or B votes and pick C instead. However, for any number of reasons it could be the case that out of these C voters, a larger fraction of them are more likely to have originally been A voters rather than B voters. Thus 2% of the 48% B voters switch, and 10% of the 52% A voters switch. Now the results are 46% B, 42% A, and 12% C. Poof, the mere existence of the less popular C on the poll caused A to lose, even though more voters would have been happy with it compared to B.

With a multiple-vote poll, if anyone who had voted C had also voted for their second choice (either A or B), the results would have been 52% A, 48% B, and 12% C, and the option that a majority are happy with is the option that wins.

Additional stuff:

- When there are lots of options and a single-vote poll (like here where there are 10 options), it is quite likely that every one of the options will end up below 50% support. In theory this means that no matter which option is picked, a supermajority will hate it, since only a small fraction voted for it. But it's not the set of options that are at fault, it's the system itself.

- Multiple-vote polls solve this problem, as they allow plenty of options to go well above 50% support. The entire point is that if you like something, you can vote for it -- it doesn't block you from voting for anything else.

- There's also no need to remove lower options and make a second round, since with multiple voting there's absolutely no concept at all of "Oh, if X can't win, then I'd better vote for Y this time instead". Just vote for both of them.

- To accommodate both of the above, whenever multiple voting is an option, the ability to vote for multiple choices should be very strongly emphasized - it's the whole reason that makes it objectively better than single vote.

- Going back to the hypothetical three-apple single-vote example above, if all of the C voters who had A as their second choice had lied and said that A was their favorite on the list instead of C, then the winner of the poll would have been A instead of B, benefiting the liars. A single-vote poll actively encourages its voters to lie about their preferences in order to get a better outcome.

Apologies for the very long and angry rant, but the proliferation of this atrocious voting system literally all around the world has always been a gigantic peeve for me, especially given how much effect they can have on literally deciding history. The more people who realize how a good voting system should work and what it means, the better.

Multiple-vote poll please.

Very disapointed: no originallity in the ten finalist.

In my opinion Rift prime is a special shard, so it would need a special name.

I won't vote in theses conditions.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

While I appreciate the homage to Wintercharm, I, personally, do not think that naming a server after her is a proper tribute, for two main reasons.

#1 - Historically, all server names have been lore related, or have been tied to a proper noun of some sort that directly relates to the world of Telara as a whole. This breaks heavily from tradition.

#2 - This server IS planned to be shutdown at some point. I do not believe it is appropriate to honor the passing of a community member by naming a server that may be closed off after them. No matter how high profile or important they were in the community. Tributes like this should have permanency.

I know there are some players, especially in the dimension community, who like this idea. I understand that she was extremely valued and respected. I believe there are better ways of doing it that have both already been done and could be done in the future than this.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

i agree with Clowd. the name should be related to Rift lore, as it is with all the other shards
    :: Natia@Zaviel :: Rogue :: Stuffs cleared ::

Telaran

Meridian
    Wintercharm
    Usukhel
    Atrophinius
    Asha Catari
    Mathosia
    Port Scion
    Greenscale
    Orphiel
    Vigil

Why I think some names are a bad idea..

keeping in mind, Trion is more or less aiming at returning players, who favor the original Rift and maybe new players..

Meridian.. heavily defiant linked... and why not have Sanctum as well in this list??
    Wintercharm.. as mentioned above.. and with returning players.. who remembers/knows/knew Wintercharm if they have been gone from game for a longer period of time?

Usukhel.. uhm.. who?

Atrophinius.. never seen his as a main figure, but more as a sidekick..

Asha Catari.. defiant linked

Mathosia.. I think that is the name for the first continent, but perhaps Telara would have been more known to players

Port Scion.. warfront.. so rather see that name pop up in the warfront list than see it get another eol as servername

Greenscale.. would be a nice one.. returning players would know that name as the first Raid Challenge boss.. Perhaps a later server Akylios, from legendary Hammerknell..

Orphiel.. before we got the whole storyline from Vostigar with Orphiel as VIP npc, he was in many ways just a defiant npc.. I wonder if players who return from a longer absence would think him as big as he is in current content

Vigil.. not that bad a choice.. The Vigil created Telara..

http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/Telara for those that would like a little lore on the creation of Telara

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

I appreciate your feedback, Clowd.

The name Wintercharm was nominated as often as the other most popular names in the list, the general consensus is that this was intended as a way to honor her memory, just like the NPC that we have in game. To say that Wintercharm is not part of the lore or history of RIFT would be inaccurate.

We included the best ten options that were approved by Dev. Going by the number of votes recorded thus far, many would disagree with your opinion and intend their votes to honor Wintercharm.

Your best way to influence the outcome of the poll in favor of the name you prefer is to vote.
    Brasse
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 02-27-2018 at 09:51 AM.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Hey Yvette! LOVE the detailed opinions!

As mentioned above, vote for the name YOU prefer most. We offered 100% more player participation in this one than with the original RIFT servers... every one of those choices were nominated by our fellow players, many of them multiple times (including Usukhel, who is dying to meet you, I am sure, hehe!).

Did you end up voting for Vigil?
    Brasse

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    I appreciate your feedback, Clowd.

The name Wintercharm was nominated as often as the other most popular names in the list, the general consensus is that this was intended as a way to honor her memory, just like the NPC that we have in game. To say that Wintercharm is not part of the lore or history of RIFT would be inaccurate.

We included the best ten options that were approved by Dev. Going by the number of votes recorded thus far, many would disagree with your opinion and intend their votes to honor Wintercharm.

Your best way to influence the outcome of the poll in favor of the name you prefer is to vote.
    Brasse
    Thank you for taking the time to read and respond Brasse, I appreciate the reasoning you have provided, and I understand that the votes show that others disagree with my point of view.

I have voted for the name I like best from this list - Meridian!
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

Quote Originally Posted by Battleslash View Post
    Huge mega-rant on why single-vote polls are NEVER EVER a good voting system...
    Hey there. We are just asking people's opinions on a shard name. The Devs narrowed it down to ten top choices that they'd be delighted with among the many nominations and we wanted to give folks a further chance to weigh in. We know this is not the premier statistical choice, but hey... it's for fun.

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13

Clowd, Meridian was my choice too! I loved the play on words... Prime Meridian - it just works on multiple levels.

Pity the Defiants live there, but we're all supposed to be friends now. Us Dwarves just hold grudges longer than most, heheheh. My grudge is renewed every time I forget that Brasse can't just WALK IN THERE and enjoy the sights! Darn guards... they will get what's coming to them one day!

I could honestly live with any of the ten names, and happily!
    Brasse

Telaran

Just out of curiosity, what of all the other Rift players that have passed away before? I know when I started playing that a lady in my first guild passed away from cancer. I know another player whose wife passed and I am sure there were more than just those 2 in the 7 years, across EU and NA shards.

I am in no way trying to demean or insult Wintercharm's memory or her friends, I am not good with words so please do not take offense, but as has been mentioned, she has been honored in a very lovely and meaningful way with the lovingly created NPC so the server name should probably be kept to a Rift Lore name as was originally mentioned.

What if returning players had friends pass away and feel slighted that their loved one was not also memorialized yet another was over and over?

Again, truely not trying to be mean in any way shape or form, I just feel that all of them mattered, even those we did not personally know, as they were a part of this world for whatever amount of time.
    Last edited by Daementia; 02-27-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    C is for Cookie.... that's good enough for me!

Soulwalker

I voted for Vigil, because it's clear, simple, short, sounds best and - what my limited knowledge of Rift lore tells me - it suits the best.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast