+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
Results 196 to 206 of 206
Like Tree388Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 2018: RIFT ON! Development Letter Now Available!

  1. #196
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    855

    Default

    You want the focus to not be on money?

    I have very. bad. news. for you.

    F2P is here to stay. Why would anyone in 2018 pay $15 a month for Rift? I have a fond spot for the game but I'm not delusional, without a proper F2P those servers would be empty. But I doubt you care about that, you'd rather have what you want even at the cost of the game, which is especially... not savvy, to put it in gentler terms.
    A good game generates the needed money by itself.
    You dont need to focus on money.

    People wont spend money on a bad game.
    Once your focus is on money you end up with a bad game.

    If noone is willing to pay 15$ for Rift, why are there Patrons?
    A patron even gets less than what a subscriber gets for the money.

    If you think only F2P can keep Rift from becoming empty...
    well, i am not dilusional either...
    then Rift will become the next Vanguard, its just a matter of time.

  2. #197
    Shield of Telara C00lit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSE View Post
    You want the focus to not be on money?

    I have very. bad. news. for you.

    F2P is here to stay. Why would anyone in 2018 pay $15 a month for Rift? I have a fond spot for the game but I'm not delusional, without a proper F2P those servers would be empty. But I doubt you care about that, you'd rather have what you want even at the cost of the game, which is especially... not savvy, to put it in gentler terms.
    Actually the two most successful MMOs are subscription only, WoW and FFXIV so I think many people would pay a subscription if the content is good quality and compelling.

    I'm sure F2P is here to stay however that's not to say Trion cant or wont offer a permanent subscription only server for people who dislike the cash shop and prefer everything earnable in-game.
    Last edited by C00lit; 02-06-2018 at 02:34 AM.

  3. #198
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSE View Post
    Hello!

    Used to play this game for a long time, actually I have been there like many of the people in this thread since CHOCOLATE (I like that you're not calling vanilla ), saw the River of Souls opening event, played SL, NT, but NOT the last expansion (couldn't bother with that one, Ankanet something?)

    So I think I qualify as those people you are looking to bring back and I have to say it is working
    and I think it will work overall, provided you guys do the obvious things needed to make it work.

    Clearly a Prime sub and Patron sub should be linked. Patrons deserve to have access to the Prime server, it just seems fair (and I'm not a Patron, bought Rex but never felt like going full Patron during F2P). Not only that but it avoids dividing the community, I plan on trying out Prime, but I wouldn't mind checking the Live servers from time to time, this is a good thing for both Prime and Live.

    Also, keep the temporary nature of it!
    This is a good thing! This is the point of the whole point and I don't grasp how so many people fail to see that?!! I mean, guys, use your brains PLEASE!
    The appeal of those servers is for people like me who want to relive the progression race of those times and who feel left behind by the Live servers. For people who don't want to race with people who are 7 years ahead.
    It being temporary sets a goal for people like me, it is less intimidating and daunting if you know you only have to dedicate 1 year of your life to it, and it makes sure you always have new content on Prime server often, probably monthly, hopefully even bi-weekly (that would be amazing) .

    So yeah, don't listen to what I can best describe as "bitter vets". This feature is not for them. First because they are bitter so anything that doesn't benefit them and them alone, they will shut down anyway. And also because this is aimed at people like me who want to have a fresh chance to compete with those very vets.

    Also, I hope the QoL and the souls of Live will be there. The progression should be the content, not the customization itself. Plus it would give something new to the progression. Next year Prime could have the new customization options of 2018, you could actually make it a recurring activity for players to redo the progression with the new souls and abilities of the last years, I WOULD PAY FOR THAT, FOR A LONG TIME.

    To sum it, this is a good idea, don't listen to the haters, make it temporary, make it unlock content often, put the current customization and souls in it, people will come and pay for it and invigorate the Live servers at the same time.


    Oh, and get some actual Souls vs. Souls Counter Balance for PvP already, you don't have to worry about a Soul being OP in PvP if another souls exists that counters it and people can switch to it on the fly.

    Also, when's a Dominator-like soul for all classes?
    Ok, be honest here. Are you a Dev that is posting on a player account? Anybody who completely agrees with this post is in the EXTREME minority. I don't think you fully comprehend how much content they are trying to squeeze into 1 year. For this to work, they would have to come out with a new tier/raid every 1-2 weeks. For that to work, they would have to make the encounters so brain dead easy that you could moonwalk blindfold through every boss in the game. How is that fun? There is no feeling of progression there. There is no sense of achievement. "hurr durr..... I got a world first kill on rift prime. My guild was the first to form a group, enter the raid, and headbutt our keyboards while wearing lvl 45 green gear."

    And this is assuming the only focus is the raiding in the expansion? What about all the other content in an expansion? Running experts, toying around with professions, grinding rifts, doing big world events etc. were all enjoyable things to do that will become meaningless. Not to mention PVP will also be a pointless waste of time. This is just a few things to do in each expansion.

    As I don't want to be someone who just criticizes without offering any counter solution I would like to make a proposition. What if; instead of doing the entire game in one year, they do something like original rift through storm legion in the course of a year. I believe that 6 months per expansion is pretty fair. It gives the dev team time to focus on the original game and the 1st expansion instead of then entire game during their short prep window. As much as I would love to see the original talents and our lord an savior defilemancer again, the reality is, rift probably doesn't have the resources or manpower to go back in time like that. I hate to say it, but I can live with 4.0 talents and mechanics as long as they work with us on a few conditions. These being, the bosses are properly balanced so the encounters arn't a complete joke with 4.0 talents, and also that they don't have any post Storm Legions souls available. If they weren't available during that time period, they shouldn't be available in Rift Prime until the appropriate expansion becomes available. This would be significantly less investment for Trion than redoing the whole game and would also be a a good tester for player interest.

    In conclusion, a lot of the old school players don't want to rush through the old game at lightning speed, they want to enjoy the game they loved again. At that speed there will be no feeling of accomplishment. That feeling being one of the major driving forces behind player retention in any successful MMO. I am concerned that the dev team will have to cut a lot of corners and flat out remove content specific to each expansion that made it fun. By making it have a more realistic timeline, the dev team will not feel rushed to prep the entire game for Rift Prime and will have more time to commit to each expansion.
    Last edited by Dwops; 02-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.

  4. #199
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Dear Rift,

    I love you and have given you literally thousands of my hard earned dollar bills. But this is NOT the way forward.

    1. You just can't live in the past. The old players you're targeting won't come back, especially for the same old content, and whiny people wishing for days past and trying to relive the glory days aren't *really* interested in going backwards. Ever hear the saying "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt?" How many times do you ever see anyone going back to re-buy a T-shirt they already have? NEVER. That's why this is not going to work. Sorry, but i feel the need to pour an ice bucket full of reality over your head, especially being one of the players that has spent soooo much money on this game over the years.

    2. Therefore, the only direction is FORWARD. Trion is not Dr. Who; you do not have a TARDIS. Don't bother. Even Dr. Who knows better than to try and revisit his own timeline. NEW CONTENT is the only way to go. EVERY Returning player that I have EVER spoken to, has only ever come back to see what's NEW!!! Take that to heart and listen to the people who love you and want to see you succeed. PLEASE.

    3. Exploration and Questing: People loved exploring NT! What ever happened to all those "Planes" we were promised? We got plane of water which was awesome. Where are the planes of air? life? fire? death? Where are the story questlines to accomplish things (like that summer event cape questline a year or so back - that was freaking awesome and i thought FINALLY Rift's getting the right idea! It wasn't too crazy of a grind, it had a few fun challenges so wasn't boring, and it granted an awesome reward - bring that kind of thing back yo!

    I mean you could do a whole quest line to get GOOD starting dungeon gear that runs you through quests that have like e-z versions of some of the mechanics you're going to see in the new dungeons. And you can go through dungeons and have like certain achievements gained by mastering various mechanics grant you entry level raid gear. I mean come on guys put some thought into this, don't just try and recrank the old gears - I can promise you that there's just not enough fuel left (a.k.a. interested players) that will come back without new content.
    NEW CONTENT = $$$$$.

    Speaking of new content - More cosmetics. You've never put out a new makeup pack or markings pack. New hairstyles. New skin colors. I have spent sooo many credits on appearance and mounts that it's ridiculous. More wings. everyone's addicted to those things. Get going on that stuff. The new wardrobe system was THE single greatest thing EVER after making mounts account wide! DYEABLE MOUNTS!!!! You NEED that!! FLYING MOUNTS - that too!!! People have been screaming for flying mounts for AGES!!!

    LISTEN TO THAT FEEDBACK AND MAKE THAT SH*T HAPPEN Y'ALL!! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

    3. Regarding soul balancing; try the concept of reducing the complexity of everything. You have to be a master mathematician, or google other specs from others that are master mathematicians or alternately have time to spend hours pouring over what does this, what effects that, etc., to come up with a viable spec. If you are having trouble balancing souls, hire some of the elite players who figure this stuff out and bring them on board so they can figure how to equalize everything more efficiently. Also, you might try losing the cast-time spells/abilities and make everything insta-cast but with cooldowns, that way we can macro more so everyone can make viable specs that don't require a gajillion buttons on 3 bars to play... Just a thought - i have limited hand mobility so this would be helpful for folks like me, but could also be a neat new concept in balanced and equal game play for all souls, and folks that don't like that could still put their stuff in different slots...

    4. I joined Rift because you could accomplish a lot with even just a half hour of game time. Now it's just grindy grind grind. That's why people LEAVE. (No one wants to re-grind everything - and everyone here is telling you the same exact thing, so if you're really listening, THIS is your baseball bat over the head - just don't do it!).

    5. Personally i LOVE choice and HATE pvp. The fact that it plays by a whole different set of rules drives me batsh*t crazy. Making the whole world PVP? Just NOPE. Maybe just make it all so you don't have to get different gear - just make everything work for everything else. Or make it to where you can turn it on for those who want it, and disable it for those who DON'T. Life is aaaaallllll about choices - taking them away is the fastest way to push people the other direction!

    6. Also because i LOVE choice, just a big fat HECK NO on the dynamic zone level thing. Sometimes, you just wanna run around and feel like a God. Plus, we EARNED those levels!! Don't strip them away just because we want to go back to a certain area! That's not goodness - it's PUNISHMENT. I mean if you want to make that a setting that we have control over and can toggle on and off because we're questing for "rifts that grant experience" kind of stuff, sure thing then go for it - I'm totally on board with that! But don't force folks into it without a choice - please!

    7. Don't split your fan base - that's just 50 shades of nope! Divide and Conquer is a saying for a reason. If you divide the player base, you will defeat yourselves. It's just not a good idea.

    8. Introduce more credit packs - like one between the $19.99 & $49.99 like a $30 or $35 etc. Or heck, make a sliding scale that grants credits in $5 increments so folks can more closely choose the amount they want/need, keeping the bonuses for more credits bought as it scales up. Micro-sales are totally a thing you know.

    That's about all i can think of for now. I really do love Rift and I promise that this is trying to be constructive advice and to help you make more $$ to stay alive so i can keep playing, but people only like nostalgia for a minute, then they realize "damn that was a good time, but i have moved on now..." So, yeah. That's the reality - you have to move on not backwards. New content is your gold. <3

    P.S. What is with all the ping-pong balls stuck on the newest expansion's brand of celestial weaponry? I have been trying to understand that from the moment I saw them...? Was it to child proof the non-killing edges? lol... really, i'm curious, if anyone can explain that, i REALLY would like to know what those are supposed to be...
    Last edited by pheonixheart; 02-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.

  5. #200
    Rift Disciple ViRALiC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    194

    Default

    I have already made several threads and dozens of posts about this, so I'm gonna' say it flat out for once: Prime is your chance to un-ruin Rift after the disaster that was F2P, Trion.

    This is your chance to save Rift.

    Don't. Mess. It. Up.

    Quote Originally Posted by pheonixheart View Post
    ...*snipped*...
    I honestly believe that every person is entitled to his opinion, so are you, and so am I. I however do not think I agree with a single thing in your post.

    Flying mounts? Balancing specs around PVP? Less buttons in with a macro system like the one Rift has?

    Without ranting, raving and writing a 3000-word essays about each point; my opinion is that you are wrong on every single thing you bring up. What you describe will lead this game into a darker hole than it's already in, as I see it.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.

  6. #201
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    I have already made several threads and dozens of posts about this, so I'm gonna' say it flat out for once: Prime is your chance to un-ruin Rift after the disaster that was F2P, Trion.

    This is your chance to save Rift.

    Don't. Mess. It. Up.



    I honestly believe that every person is entitled to his opinion, so are you, and so am I. I however do not think I agree with a single thing in your post.

    Flying mounts? Balancing specs around PVP? Less buttons in with a macro system like the one Rift has?

    Without ranting, raving and writing a 3000-word essays about each point; my opinion is that you are wrong on every single thing you bring up. What you describe will lead this game into a darker hole than it's already in, as I see it.
    Well, to be fair, if you're the type to write a 3k essay on each point, you must have a lot more time on your hands than I (and most people) do, and if you have that much time on your hands, my guess is that you aren't one of the folks spending a lot of money on Rift to keep it afloat, unless you were just born wealthy or have a really fantastic job with short hours.

    Single parent of a special needs child over here with a 40+ hour work week. I simply do not have hours upon hours upon hours of time every day to waste on the game or learn a new and more complicated freaking spec every time the game gets an update. You shouldn't need a freaking math degree to be able to figure out how to put out decent damage. You also shouldn't have to get yelled at by the elite few who make gaming their whole lives because they have no job or $ to spend on Rift (or very little anyway) when all you want to do is relax and PLAY a GAME. So yes, making rift LESS complicated and more FUN will help them make more $. Not requiring a gazillion buttons and such complicated rotations that only a master pianist has the manual dexterity to play perfectly will also help - that's why it was so fun back in the day and people flocked to it. It used to be known as "WoW for Grown-ups". (Ok, yes, the pianist comment is exaggerating a little, but seriously, this is a problem - regular people, who make up probably 80 % of players, just want to play and have fun and not have a second "job" trying to figure out how to keep up their damage numbers and become elite just to go to raid encounters etc.).

    And to be fair, I paid for Rift for a good while before Rift went F2P and before i went through a financial rough patch, so i do remember those days (and I am and have been a patron again for the last few years). Rift was a lot simpler and more logical then, and the souls and specs didn't change with the wind - this is another problem which has resulted in people leaving. Once someone knows a spec and finally become really good at it, they don't want to relearn something completely different with every new release - that's called unreliability or jerking the rug out from under one's feet. This is why the balancing is so important, just like a ton of other folks have said. If 90% of folks are calling for spec balancing, chances are that it really is a problem that needs addressed. You disagreeing with it doesn't make it wrong. Plus, I'm trying to think out of the box and provide more solutions, so there isn't more of the same crap that caused the problems of peeps leaving, which could breathe new life into rift more than just replaying old content.

    Realistically, I think that most people who are spending a lot of money on the game just don't have the time to muck about. Folks that have a bit of money to pay for the game monthly and then not spend another single penny getting anything else and only play using game currency aren't really making Trion a boatload of money, are they?

    From the way I read it, the Prime server is almost like a test to see who grabs the bait, and is also beginning with an end-date in mind. Who wants to waste time AND PAY FOR achieving stuff that's already been done to death and is just going to be ripped away in a year? Freaking nobody. There's just no logic there, and there's also no longevity.

    I can agree to disagree, but that doesn't make me wrong. EVERY single person I know who has left has just gotten bored or fed up with the grinds, or frustrated about the specs being completely obliterated and re-worked. Just balance the dang things once and for all, then scale the damage/healing/tanking/whatever going forward.

    And you simply cannot say I'm wrong about old timers coming back to the game to see what's NEW, or what's CHANGED. My historical experience is NOT wrong; it is simply a historical FACT THAT HAPPENED, REPEATEDLY. Repeating the same content doesn't relieve boredom, and repeating the same actions doesn't either. It is also FACT that user after user after user has asked, some have even begged, for flying mounts. I might not post much, but I do lurk in the forums and even I know this to be true. I don't know if you're a dev trying to defend prime, or just a young'n with not much time on his hands to do nothing but game all the time, but you're in the sore minority if you've read through the thread. Typically the folks who like to spend money on the game aren't really the same folks that pride themselves on the grind and never give rift a dime...

    As for me, it is also a FACT that i have spent TONS of $ on the game, so I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two. In my experience, the less $ a gamer has, the more time they have to whine about folks who are actually willing to spend the money on a game - they're just ticked off that they can't do the same if you really want to get to the heart of the matter. This again is historical observation from a lot of gamers i've known over the years - and not just for this game, but for others as well. People who are likely to spend $ on the game want to be able to spend $ on what they want - part of the problem is the horrid crate gambling system. I've stopped buying them except one or two here or there once in a blue moon, because there's so little chance of getting what you are actually wanting that it's a waste of money, and people are wising up to that FACT. People also HATE the captured Intel GAMBLING system - I've seen it over and over - again, FACT because the posts exist. I'm certainly not the first one to mention it... i believe one poster mentioned something about it being a gambling problem that even Las Vegas would be ashamed of, or something along those lines. Well yes, yes that is correct. You want people to buy stuff, let them buy stuff. People don't like spending money on crap that's useless to their character. Overall we're much smarter than that and it's quite frankly an insult to our intelligence, and disrespectful of our hard earned money and time. THAT is yet another reason people are leaving - they are fed up with that crap. Stopping that, making it simpler and easier to get stuff done and more FUN instead of grindy will bring folks back.

    Regarding PVP, I honestly freaking hate it, but it's because it's so different than the game and the spec you build just doesn't behave the same way. PVP'ers are a very specific class - it would be nice to see it more friendly for regular players as well. That's all i was saying about that - and I am definitely content to agree to disagree there since it's really not my thing - in my experience there's just too many a-holes who like to camp the spawn point and behave quite dishonorably in PVP, but again, that's my historical experience speaking - it's not wrong, just different apparently than some other folks.
    Last edited by pheonixheart; 02-14-2018 at 11:20 PM.

  7. #202
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    892

    Default

    We were told they didn't have the time and man power for content in the live game. The live game has so little content causing not just straight up loss of players but also patrons are switching free to play at the same time.

    If the live game had regulalr content updates (dungeons, new quest lines, raids, open world etc) then the players would come. Instead we try to capture some old nostalgia with a bastardised version of Vanilla Rift.

    How the dev team has time for Rift Prime when they apparently had so little time for live Rift is really suspect. Working on Prime rather than fixing the game that this loyal player at least, has subbed to for it's duration is akin to a bretrayal.


    p.s. I know people such as Tacitus and Rough Raptors genuinely care about Live Rift and perhaps most of the team as well to be honest but without decision makers wanting the Live Game to thrive then things are not going to change.

  8. #203
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    498

    Default

    I was excited to return for this.

    Then I read it's only active for 9-12 months with no EU Servers on launch.

    Really?

  9. #204
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Crafting

    I didn't notice any mention of changes to crafting. For me, and possibly others, crafting is a big part of game play. It would be nice if mats to create items for current level were available for that level instead of being in the next area of play. Also, not getting any exp for daily crafting quests takes away from the game and enjoyment. Especially disappointing since now I'm disabled and have nothing much else to do with my days except RIFT or sleep.

  10. #205
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maelya View Post
    This quote is just to repeat my question, I asked in Tandaradei´s posting (german translation, thank you for this) for the european players:

    Are the rewards
    region-wide = NA Live Server, or
    account-wide = NA and EU Live Server?

    Because if the rewards are region-wide only, you should inform the european players, that they do not receive rewards on their EU Side.
    Was there already information about this?

    It would be unpleasant for the participant EU players if they at the end of the prime experiance realize that they do not receive rewards on their EU-live Server.

    "Am noch festzulegenden Ende des Lebenszyklus des Prime-Servers bekommt ihr schließlich die Möglichkeit, eure Prime-Charaktere auf einen Live-Server zu transferieren."

    These Informations are nice. Many thanks for the possibility that we may transfer our character at the end of the prime-server to our live server.

    Same question: On which live servers (NA or/and EU?) can EU players transfer their prime toon?

    Thank you beforehand

  11. #206
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maelya View Post
    Same question: On which live servers (NA or/and EU?) can EU players transfer their prime toon?

    Thank you beforehand
    EU/NA.

    /10char

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts