Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Name Reclaim by Jan 31!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default Name Reclaim by Jan 31!

It's a new year, and it's time to clear the dusty shelves of names long unused. These names will be freed up for use by new and active players.

We will release the names of characters that have not logged in for over one year as of January 31, 2018. If you're not sure you've played a character in the last year, don't take the chance - please log into each character whose name you wish to retain at least once before midnight, Pacific Time (UTC -8) on January 31, 2018. This will automatically record your character as being active and will keep your existing names in place.

Be assured that we're not deleting CHARACTERS - they'll remain intact, in case their owners wish to play again in the future. If you take no action and come back after the reset, you’ll be prompted to choose new names for your characters when you log in. There is no charge for the automatic rename process.

The name reclaim and release will apply to ArcheAge, RIFT and Trove PC. We are sending emails to all affected accounts, and will also get the word out through this blog, our livestreams and social media. If you have friends who may be affected, please pass it on!

If you have any questions, please post them on this forum thread and we’d be happy to respond.
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 12-30-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Oh I love you guys, been waiting to get my old names back for so long!!!!

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Soon you can... unless the folks currently using them log back in! To be fair to all, we are trying to get the word out far and wide. Good luck!
    Brasse

Rift Chaser

oh awesome! Love this!

Rift Master

Glad this is finally happening, it's long overdue.

Soulwalker

Too bad I can't volunteer some names.

Default Rude

This seems unnecessary, and rude to long-time absentees who might decide to return at a later date. Every other MMO I've ever played, with the exception of Aion, has kept my long-inactive characters fully intact until I returned.

WoW does this every expansion which I think is pretty reasonable. Rift has only done this one other time so it's long overdue in my opinion. The biggest difference with rift is that it's free to login to save names if people want them that badly.

There are however some valid concerns that I've seen people discussing on the various discords in regard to how this affects people who have harassed others, banned and the like. I think (I can't speak for anyone) that someone who unintentionally / unknowingly takes one of those peoples names, they themselves might get some flak or something along those lines.

As a side note it would be nice to have automated mail sent to inactive accounts especially to give them a heads up. it's been posted on all of the social media sites (except reddit) which not everyone actively looks at so it's just an extra way to communicate this important piece of news to people.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 12-30-2017 at 09:34 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

While understanding TRION's interest in doing this, I think some limits should be put.

Renaming a low level mule or a test toon under level 20 has no bad effect, but renaming high level characters can be very bad for returning players. And I see many old time players coming back after years.

I myself went away from RIFT for one year, then came back. If I had found my toons force renamed, I think I would have questioned my return on this game.

This rename thing should be done only for toons under lv 50, for example.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    There are however some valid concerns that I've seen people discussing on the various discords in regard to how this affects people who have harassed others, banned and the like. I think (I can't speak for anyone) that someone who unintentionally / unknowingly takes one of those peoples names, they themselves might get some flak or something along those lines.
    There is one fonction in RIFT that somehow prevent this : tracability of toons.
    The friendlist (and maybe the ignore list?) keeps track of a toon's change of names.
    So if someone really bothers you, put him on your list and track him.

Same for ignored people. If you have player A on your ignore list, even if player B takes A name, the new A will not be on your ignore list, so you know it is not the same person.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

As a side note it would be nice to have automated mail sent to inactive accounts especially to give them a heads up. it's been posted on all of the social media sites (except reddit) which not everyone actively looks at so it's just an extra way to communicate this important piece of news to people.
    + 1 for this.
    People who left maybe are no more on game media, but would like to keep their toons safe.

Edit: Seems they hear you, because Brasse says e-mails will be sent.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 12-31-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Rift Disciple

OMG yes!

When will the names be freed up? Will we be able to get our names that night at midnight or will it free up after the update?

Ascendant

WoW does this every expansion...
    Do they? In 2016 my wife and I returned to WoW after a 7 year hiatus, and none of our ~30 chars had to be renamed - even the low level chars on other shards still had their original name.

BTT: I agree with Mordrahan - when an old time player wants to give the game another try, but finds all his char names removed, he might easily just uninstall the game in frustration. My wife would for sure

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Not sure about every Expansion but they certainly did it for Warlords of Draenor if you didn't log in since December 7th, 2010

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...amation-coming

What WOW did was different from what TRION wants to do, unless I don't understand well what is said above in Brasse's post.

On WOW, they allowed people to claim a name they want, and IF this name was taken by a inactive toon, the process made it free to use by the claimer. So if you were inactive but nobody wanted your name, your toon was not affected.

What TRION will do is remove all names from all inactive toons.

This means all players who did not log for one year will have to rename their toons when they come back. I imagine coming back like I did last year and finding the 10 toons (some 6 years old) I have on my main shard stripped of their names... Sure I would close the game in shock and never come back.

This should be done only for low level toons, or with a far more large time frame (maybe 3 years...)
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 12-31-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast