Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Name Reclaim by Jan 31!

Soulwalker

Default Lost name

Lost my original name to a server merge at one point so I was wondering if it is at all possible to ever reclaim that name for my character?

Soulwalker

We actually have people in our guild who haven't logged in 4 years because they are deceased, we keep their characters in the roster in memory...

Still no official answer for solutions to memorial characters being deleted by this process?
    I suppose it will be an automatic computer move on a database, so I don't know if a human intervention to protect some characters is possible.
    But if it is, it should be done.
    Maybe a procedure with valid reasons for exceptions (memorial toons of deceaded friends, guild founders, known dimensioners...).

AS a dimensioner I have a question : What will happen to dims on those toons without names? Will the dims still be accessible from the public lists?
    We have some ancient players in our guild who don't log anymore, but have left a big legacy in dimensions.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Plane Walker

Thumbs down

Gee, I'm glad I happened to check up on the game today, and see the notice of this in game.

I don't play often; I wish I could, but for years I've been unable to adjust the settings so that the game runs smoothly, and it bothers my eyes. Though I can't remember if a year has ever gone by since I logged into a character, I'd be guaranteed to never log in to the game again if my characters were forcibly renamed. I know that my mother, who definitely hasn't logged in for over a year (since changes were made to the game that she disagreed with), won't likely be back if her characters are forcibly renamed, even if further changes to the game made it desirable to play once again.

I did NOT receive any email notice of this happening, and neither did the other three people in my family who have played Rift. I'll be sure to pass the news, but y'all might want to check on that email that was supposed to go out about this.

Dimensions on Wolfsbane

Apothecaria Lyceum & Retreat
    Weaver's Rest
    Setting the Scene Contest Entry: Lucy Looks into a Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvaene View Post
    Gee, I'm glad I happened to check up on the game today, and see the notice of this in game.

I don't play often; I wish I could, but for years I've been unable to adjust the settings so that the game runs smoothly, and it bothers my eyes. Though I can't remember if a year has ever gone by since I logged into a character, I'd be guaranteed to never log in to the game again if my characters were forcibly renamed. I know that my mother, who definitely hasn't logged in for over a year (since changes were made to the game that she disagreed with), won't likely be back if her characters are forcibly renamed, even if further changes to the game made it desirable to play once again.
    I think if people really want their names that badly then they'll download it, jump in (it's free) and lock your name before the time is up. If people really can't be bothered to do that much then... \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvaene View Post
    I did NOT receive any email notice of this happening, and neither did the other three people in my family who have played Rift. I'll be sure to pass the news, but y'all might want to check on that email that was supposed to go out about this.
    This however does seem to be the case. I've been checking and waiting for an email about this, but have yet to receive one. I suppose to be fair it does say "We are sending emails to all affected accounts" meaning that only people who haven't logged on for a year or more will get those emails which would explain why you and I didn't receive one. It's also easy to check the multiple other posts on twitter, facebook, youtube, livestreams, official site and maybe even some gaming sites that reported it. Not to mention the various discord communites. It's quite literally been posted on every official platform by now.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    I think if people really want their names that badly then they'll download it, jump in (it's free) and lock your name before the time is up. If people really can't be bothered to do that much then... \_(ツ)_/

It's also easy to check the multiple other posts on twitter, facebook, youtube, livestreams, official site and maybe even some gaming sites that reported it. Not to mention the various discord communites. It's quite literally been posted on every official platform by now.
    Are you purposely nor wanting to understand that people who have left this game (for whatever reason) are not the kind of people who will check the internet for information about what happens in RIFT?
    But they may still care for their toons, and if they don't get direct information by mail, chances are they will not know it before it is too late.

I had some respect for your usually meaningful, helpful and intelligent posts, but this one... You should choose your words better, it feels like you think those ancient players deserve nothing more than be erased from memory.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Are you purposely nor wanting to understand that people who have left this game (for whatever reason) are not the kind of people who will check the internet for information about what happens in RIFT?
    But they may still care for their toons, and if they don't get direct information by mail, chances are they will not know it before it is too late.
    Not at all and from my experience that honestly seems to be the minority as a lot of people who have quit for long periods still communicate with friends and or keep themselves updated every now and then. As Brass stated, the emails will be sent out and I don't disagree that they should be sent to everyone regardless, but as I have posted in the past, there is a certain degree of personal responsible to check things out yourself if you want to stay updated. Even if emails get sent out, some people don't even check that or for some reason it gets sent to their junk mail and they don't see it.

It takes very little effort to check for news updates especially with it being posted in so many places. That leaves very little room to complain is all. Outside of the email issue. This is also being posted and relayed an entire month in advance so thumbs up on Trions end as they have had issues giving us last minute updates in the past.

I had some respect for your usually meaningful, helpful and intelligent posts, but this one... You should choose your words better, it feels like you think those ancient players deserve nothing more than be erased from memory.
    Context doesn't always come across in posts and texts so my apologies if you personally took it that way. What I said however isn't untrue. Anyone can easily login as long as they stay up to date with information. It's fine if you disagree even after my above post.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 01-15-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

I'm curious as to what Trion's stance is towards those that have stolen and abused others names in the past.

Remember Millrush?

Guild name was stolen all the way back then.Forced to name change because some ****** decided it was a good guild name and used Trion's server merges as an opportunity to thieve the name.I'm curious how many others it also happened to.Loyalty lmfao.
    'condescending' | VRUM MAJIS! BOR BUR!! |

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    If you have any questions, please post them on this forum thread and wed be happy to respond.
    There are still two important questions open for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaradei View Post
    Are there any automated documentations of the original character name planned for the guild roster? The Officer's Note's for instance could be expanded automatically by something like "former name: ..."
    What will happen to dims on those toons without names? Will the dims still be accessible from the public lists?
    Could you please shed some light on these two questions? The name reclaim is scheduled for next week! Thanks in advance.

I am not sure why this is a problem, other than making sure guild members who have not logged in forever have some way of being noted who they were. Also the people who have departed (rest their souls) have perhaps some means of remembrance!

If a person has not played Rift for over a year, then they probably are not interested that much, and having a name changed should really not be that big of a deal. Especially since they are sending out emails, notifying people by other means, and also if you are friends with them, you can spread the word as well. It doesn't take long to log in for a few seconds to ensure that a name is not removed.

I have heard a lot of people actually want this to happen and ask for this to be done so that a person who went and made some name of another player on every shard just to do it and has not logged in for years, will have that removed, so the person who actually does play and wants that name is now able to reclaim it.

I think the good out weighs the bad.
    OneButton (soon to be a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "If my life is for rent. And I don't learn to buy. Well I deserve nothing more than I get. 'Cause nothing I have is truly mine!"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    We have done exactly that - a massive email send started going out to all former players of RIFT (as well as AA and Trove) on Saturday morning; as this sort of thing affects accounts, it is a customer service email and people don't even have to be "opted in," as they would for promotional emails.

We're also using social media, the blog post, livestreams and regular reminders in an effort to get the word out. If you know of folks who may be affected, help us get the word out!

Brasse
    at what time will the names be purged and what time will we be able to reclaim names we lost on shard changes in the past that are no longer being used by active players?
    Prime Hunter Jupitr Abrasx the God Slayer - Wolfsbane

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #42
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Hullo folks!

The cutoff date is almost upon us. Let me address some of the questions that have come up.

NOTIFICATIONS:
    • Email notifications were sent out to every single person who has a RIFT character, via CS notification - this means that you do not even have to be opted in to get the email.
    • If you did not get an email in early January, it may have gone to your spam folder, or your ISP may have us blacklisted. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about those circumstances.
    • We also posted a blog about it, which was picked up by MMORPG and MassivelyOP
    • We have reminded folks on our weekly livestreams that the Name Reclaim was coming
    • We posted on Twitter and Facebook, both when we announced the Name Reclaim, and a final reminder today.
    • We've asked folks to reach out to their friends who may be interested in keeping names of old characters too - I know I appreciated that when my old EQII buddies told me they were having a similar name purge.
    Short of driving to everyone's home to tell them in person, we've tried our best!

MEMORIAL NAMES:
    • This is a tough one indeed. We all have people that we have lost over the years, and we want to honor their memories. Gaming is an ephemeral environ for memories, unfortunately, and we cannot undertake the enormous process of collecting and excising names.
    • One suggestion I've made is to wait until the name reclaim process actually occurs, and then log in early to make memorial characters on your own accounts to preserve those names. Obviously this requires a free character slot, but it is the only solution currently available.

WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?
    • Our data group will pull the list at 12:01 AM Pacific on February 1, 2018.
    • The name release will not take place immediately, as it needs to be QA'd and run as a process with folks in the office - we'll let you know as soon as the time and date are scheduled. I am pestering the powers that be now, even though they are busy and keep swatting at me.

BUT WHAT ABOUT...?
    This is why we have not announced a date for the actual process of releasing names yet - there is QA work to be done. I am collecting responses as fast as I can to the questions raised here, and will continue to update this thread:
    • How will the released names appear on the Guild rosters and friend's lists? Will they still be there until claimed, or become blank, or... other? (pending)
    • If someone scoops a released name, is there a risk they will automatically replace the old player on the guild member/friends list? Archonix says NOPE, there will be no accidental infiltrators.
    • What happens to the Dimensions of the inactive players that have names released? Will they be nameless? (pending)

Brasse

Shadowlander

Default nick

changed name and now cant login on old or new D i must chose some random
    sent ticket to reverse action, i was totally they come available today, but lack of information now used the scroll haha
    |Rikuz@Gelidra|

Default Authenticator Help

I can't even sign in. Been trying to get my Rift Authenticator cancelled so I can install it on my new phone. I've sent two emails with my details but have never heard anything back? Any help will be most appreciated.
    'Gamer since before you were even a twinkle in your old Dad's eye...'

WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?
    • Our data group will pull the list at 12:01 AM Pacific on February 1, 2018.
    • The name release will not take place immediately, as it needs to be QA'd and run as a process with folks in the office - we'll let you know as soon as the time and date are scheduled. I am pestering the powers that be now, even though they are busy and keep swatting at me.
    Thanks for the specific reply on this! Dodge them swatters.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast