Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Name Reclaim by Jan 31!

Soulwalker

Default Wonderful!

So glad to hear this! I have lost names that I hope to regain. Long overdue. Every game I've played has done this with some frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    Do they? In 2016 my wife and I returned to WoW after a 7 year hiatus, and none of our ~30 chars had to be renamed - even the low level chars on other shards still had their original name.

BTT: I agree with Mordrahan - when an old time player wants to give the game another try, but finds all his char names removed, he might easily just uninstall the game in frustration. My wife would for sure
    I started up a month ago and contacted a GM about changing my name as I didn't know they did this in certain cycles. Their site and the GM that replied confirmed this to be the case. Like you mentioned though, my main server/character still had their name, but I remember the first time they did this, emails were sent to account holders.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

This is a good move. Thanks.

Names have always been a bit problematic at Rift. By contrast at EQ when they merged servers, the older name had precedence. Two Thereses? And the younger became ThereseX until changed. Here the shard takes precedence. It can cause some issues. Unless you wanta change your name, of course.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Rift Chaser

Not that it matters, but I am OK with this move by Rift. You get notice and a chance to save the name.

I remember playing SWTOR, bought the Pre-Order, had an Early start, did it intentionally to save the names I wanted. Was happy & got what I needed, the game ran into troubles, they merged servers and it did not matter if you were 1st with the name or not, once merged I ( and many many others) lost every name we had saved, with no notice.

Also I recall that there are many griefers out there who start accounts just to get as many popular names as possible, and then they try and sell the names.

It's time to recycle some names.

Soulwalker

Where I realize that the DDOS attacks are not Trion's fault, what would be the point of reclaiming all my characters names? As I am unable to remain online long enough to actually play any of them. I have managed to do a small handful of the Fae Yule dailies and bought a few new items. I get increasingly aggravated each time that I get disconnected. EVERY FREAKING DAY, I get dc'd.
    I love this game and would play it more often and even spend more money on it, if I could actually stay online!!!! Is there seriously not anything that you can do?

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #21
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    As a side note it would be nice to have automated mail sent to inactive accounts especially to give them a heads up. it's been posted on all of the social media sites (except reddit) which not everyone actively looks at so it's just an extra way to communicate this important piece of news to people.
    We have done exactly that - a massive email send started going out to all former players of RIFT (as well as AA and Trove) on Saturday morning; as this sort of thing affects accounts, it is a customer service email and people don't even have to be "opted in," as they would for promotional emails.

We're also using social media, the blog post, livestreams and regular reminders in an effort to get the word out. If you know of folks who may be affected, help us get the word out!

Brasse

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #22
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Musterd, if you are still getting disconnected multiple times a day, it's time to put in a CS ticket and submit logs so that they can help determine the issue - we are past the high DDOS period now. https://support.trionworlds.com (logs are super useful for this).

1) Click the Start button, then in the search field type %LOCALAPPDATA% and click enter
    2) Open the Glyph folder
    3) Open the Logs folder
    4) Upload all of the files found here to your ticket.

To update your EXISTING ticket with these files, proceed to this link and sign in with your Trion Worlds account information: https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/requests

Our Platform group now also has a new way to submit logs from Glyph > Settings > Advanced:
    Click on the button "Send Logs To Trion Worlds" and then update your ticket, or, if a new ticket, let them know the date/time/time zone that you submitted it.

My guild maintains long-standing members that have since retired from the game. We have a special name "Valhalla's Chosen."

We maintain this guild rank out of respect for old players and the legacy they left behind.

We have roughly 20 players that have over a year of absence, the longest maintained member of Valhalla's Chosen is 2077 days since last login,

Will these names in the guild roster be force changed too?

Will 6 years of tribute be washed away overnight?
    Last edited by Durthii; 01-03-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durthii View Post

We have roughly 20 players that have over a year of absence, the longest maintained member of Valhalla's Chosen is 2077 days since last login,

Will these names in the guild roster be force changed too?

Will 6 years of tribute be washed away overnight?
    yes it will.
    If you want to save this legacy, you have to find a way to tell them to log in before end of january.

This is why I find this bad. I have a friend who will loose his name, too. And some guild founders.
    Allowing someone to ask for a name and be given it if the owner is no more playing (as Wow did) is very different from a massive removal of names.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 01-03-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Rift Disciple

I think this is a good idea. I have played one or two MMORPGs and have found that the minute a new game starts, people create characters purely to save the names just in case. We can't expect the world to stand still and wait for us. In my experience, Trion is very fair, generous and polite - even when I am in the wrong - which isn't often of course!

Question any automated documentations planned?

Are there any automated documentations of the original character name planned for the guild roster? The Officer's Note's for instance could be expanded automatically by something like "former name: ..."

Default Names Names Names

Did I miss a reply to the question about when the names will be available to use for active players? 12:01 PST? Two weeks? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for certain "popular" names (on the RP server, no less), so let us know when to start camping, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxblooded View Post
    Did I miss a reply to the question about when the names will be available to use for active players? 12:01 PST? Two weeks? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for certain "popular" names (on the RP server, no less), so let us know when to start camping, please.
    My guess: After a patch on that day.

Default Guild Roster

Just looking to find out how this will affect the Guild Rosters?
    My assumption is that they are all going to be g-kicked from the guild on Jan 31 but I would like to make sure to be prepared.

1) Will guildmates with more then 365 days since last log in be immediately g-kicked come Jan 31?

Now if they are not g-kicked come Jan 31 this would bring up a few potential questions.

2) If the name gets scooped up will the new user be g-kicked from guild?
    or
    3) If the name gets scooped up will someone have infiltrated a guild?

Default Name reclaims

Well Thank you for making this upcoming name reclaim on Jan 31 This has been long over due, but the only concern I have now is if my characters name which, if it so happens to be freed up on the few shards I don't have, I'm worried that someone will create a character using my name before I do. you should have a System put in place so if a person who has a current account and is currently active in playing Rift and if their names are dropped from other shards they don't have, that they will have the exclusive right to lock their names to the other shards and have a 48hr window to lock their characters names onto the other shards, so they can transfer to other shards without having to change their names, and this way they won't have their name stolen buy someone who is only interested in locking names and selling them. A few years ago I talked to this Asian player in Rift, he said he makes accounts and level the toons and sells them as a premade account, and he liked my name and said he could sell my account for $700.00 dollars, I told him there is no way I'm selling my account cause I love this game. So these are the people I'm worry about, those in foreign country's with many workers that sell accounts, and do leveling services, and sell platinum online from their bots. I'm only one person and only be able to do one server at a time. they could have their workers log onto each shard and lock my name before I could, and sell them. Please try to have a way to safe guard this from being a Exploit! When Jan 31 happens the minute you reset your servers there might be a flood of people trying to reclaim their names and there might be a flood of people trying to steal their names, so lets come up with something that can make this work right.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast