+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree22Likes
  • 5 Post By TrionBrasse
  • 5 Post By AtoningUnifex
  • 3 Post By Skiye
  • 5 Post By Jamesen
  • 1 Post By AtoningUnifex
  • 1 Post By Tead

Thread: Orphiel's Mount Crate removed from store (note from CEO Scott Hartsman)

  1. #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Orphiel's Mount Crate removed from store (note from CEO Scott Hartsman)

    Hey folks,

    As you know, there was considerable discussion external to the forums regarding the Orphiel Mount Pack - as noted on a thread or two here, we got together internally to discuss player feedback to the offer, and resolved to remove them from the RIFT Store today.

    As there are a lot of people there who don't (or can't) come to the forums, our CEO Scott Hartsman posted to Reddit, where the majority of the discussion was. I am reposting it here for you as well.

    Hey, everyone - I wanted to stop in to post this one myself.

    For this year’s holiday season, we wanted to do something fun and special across all of our games. We created a bunch of great events, sales and all new unique items to celebrate the holidays. One just plain wasn’t great.

    You dragged us for it. We deserved that. It’s gone. And we’re sorry it happened.

    Orphiel's Mount Crate, an item created for RIFT, was an attempt to do something new and create a tradeable box that guaranteed a rare cosmetic mount, but we badly misread how people would take it and that’s completely on us.

    We removed the crate from the store late this morning, and are discussing how to handle similar content in the future. The RIFT team and Trion Worlds as a whole are always trying to do right by our players, but we don’t always get it right. This was one of those times.

    When we were conceiving our Holiday sale plans for RIFT in particular, the goal was to create a big celebration and include some great deals. We came up with many different sales, offers and events, from our annual in-game Fae Yule event to the new Moosedantix Power Pack and a 25% discount on a year of Patron, daily rewards, a fun Log in to Win event, and Orphiel’s Mount Crate.

    Being a free to play game, microtransactions are how RIFT pays its bills, so our teams are always looking for how to do that best in ways that work for our players. Unfortunately, this was one of those ideas that did not hit that bar. I take responsibility for that; we must be better and I must be better.

    Everyone who works here is in this for the love of games, our players, and the gaming industry, but we absolutely acknowledge that we have more work to do to prove this to you. This was a definitely a teachable moment for us, and one we intend to learn from. Times like these force us to take a fresh look at the best ways to improve ourselves and our games’ business models.

    We strive to be a company for players, those who come into our worlds and have a great time regardless of how much money they spend. We want our name to be synonymous with high-quality, fun, and engaging game worlds.

    We need to put our money where our mouth is and do right by you. We’re trying to figure out the best ways to do this in a way that makes sense for RIFT, Trion Worlds as a whole, and our players.

    Thanks for reading, and please accept our humble apologies. We will continue to make a lot of great content and offer promotions in the future, and while not all of them will land, do know that we’re working to be better in the future.

    Thanks for your time, and we do wish you all a happy holiday season.
    Scott Hartsman CEO, Trion Worlds

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser AtoningUnifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Brasse, thanks for reposting, however just wanted to point out that there was also substantial amounts of discussion on these forums as well.

    As a RIFT player I would expect breaking news to be posted on the rift forums first, with messages in game and/or emails to customer accounts before I see things like this being posted on third party sites. After all, that's what we signed up to when we created our accounts.

    That being said, it is nice to see some more communication about these issues.

    The big bugbear everyone has had for a long time is regarding the perceived lack of communication so these relatively rapid responses to the issues are a step forwards!

    Whoever it was in marketing that thought "hey if EA can do it we can do it too"...should no longer be invited to the meetings...

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    312

    Default

    We'll this one is a black eye for Trion, that's for sure.

    It's nice that they admitted a mistake. And to see the CEO actually comment on Rift, it's been like 4 years.

    But this was days after the company was roundly ridiculed by journalists and the entire gaming community as a whole for the absurdity of a $100 random mount box.
    Last edited by Skiye; 12-15-2017 at 05:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    On a somewhat related note I would spot Rift a year of patron at 25% off of course, if you would put some effort into making PvP a fun experience once again.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Jamesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Being a free to play game, microtransactions are how RIFT pays its bills
    I've been a huge supporter and evangelizer of Rift since the very beginning, and as an avid dimension builder, I've probably spent more money on actual microtransactions than a large majority of players...

    But this was NOT a microtransaction. The mount crate cost nearly twice the price of a full AAA video game. When Rift first launched, $100 dollars was enough to buy the game and a 6 month subscription. Now, it buys you a voucher for one random cosmetic prize. There is nothing 'micro' about $100, and to suggest otherwise is frankly insulting.

    Your players all have bills to pay too, and moves like this one make me feel like you aren't interested in delivering us actual value for our money. Until that changes, I won't be spending any more on Rift.
    Last edited by Jamesen; 12-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Kulta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    Brasse, thanks for reposting, however just wanted to point out that there was also substantial amounts of discussion on these forums as well.

    As a RIFT player I would expect breaking news to be posted on the rift forums first, with messages in game and/or emails to customer accounts before I see things like this being posted on third party sites. After all, that's what we signed up to when we created our accounts.

    That being said, it is nice to see some more communication about these issues.

    The big bugbear everyone has had for a long time is regarding the perceived lack of communication so these relatively rapid responses to the issues are a step forwards!

    Whoever it was in marketing that thought "hey if EA can do it we can do it too"...should no longer be invited to the meetings...
    As they mentioned and spoke as much as possible about on TWITCH LIVE today, they can not tell us what they are doing as that will only give the hackers a heads up .....they are working on it..HATE IT? yes I do I just got DC again but fact is not much they can tell us other than, they are aware and working as hard as they can to fix it
    Have you ever wanted to?

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser AtoningUnifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    As they mentioned and spoke as much as possible about on TWITCH LIVE today, they can not tell us what they are doing as that will only give the hackers a heads up .....they are working on it..HATE IT? yes I do I just got DC again but fact is not much they can tell us other than, they are aware and working as hard as they can to fix it
    Just to be clear, I was in my reply not directing anything at the DDOS issues (which were discussed on stream) but was instead pointing out that the rift forums exist for the express purposes of 1. divulging official news to players and 2. inviting players responses, and that by ignoring this fora in favour of a third party forum, there is a risk that RIFT players may feel undervalued.

    They should not have had to repost their CEO's comments on a reddit thread to the rift forum, we should really "have heard it here first" and then see it posted out into the wider world.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hey folks,

    As you know, there was considerable discussion external to the forums regarding the Orphiel Mount Pack - as noted on a thread or two here, we got together internally to discuss player feedback to the offer, and resolved to remove them from the RIFT Store today.

    As there are a lot of people there who don't (or can't) come to the forums, our CEO Scott Hartsman posted to Reddit, where the majority of the discussion was. I am reposting it here for you as well.
    Is there a reason that these community discussions never happen in game or on your own forums. Seems like if you want to contribute to those discussions, you have to follow discord or Rift on reddit.

    Was nice that you guys pulled the ptw intel marks off the store, but you left the 5mil loyality packs(also contain intel). As someone who has been around since the start, selling veteran game status for $250 does nothing but devalue your veteran players. Its a pretty appealing deal, but truly shows how Trion feels about Rift's condition. They dont want to wait for you to spend 10k over years to get to vet status, because most players wont last long enough. Pretty short sited, hope that bump in the yearly revenue was worth it.

    Also i was more OK with the 40k intel trigger. Now we need 5 more storm cells, only obtainable through RNG like everything in this game now. Im like 12 kills into BoS and have yet to see a cell personally, so adding 5 more without a new means of obtaining them, may as well made them without upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts