+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
Like Tree156Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Colossal Crate Weekend!

  1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    684

    Default Colossal Crate Weekend!


    We’ve TRIPLED the chance to gain the rare rewards from supply crates this weekend! We’re also bringing back a great selection of retired rare crates for this special event!


    It’s massively marvelous! If you are the kind of player who enjoys collecting the rarest and most elusive of mounts, this is your weekend!

    It’s no simple matter to tame a massive Moosedantix to saddle, nor is it easy to master the intricate magic needed to create a marvelous levitation. Stand out in the crowd!

    We want to thank you all for traversing Telara with us, by offering everyone an increased chance at the rare mounts in our supply crates.

    We’re stacking up these crates in the RIFT store for you:
    • Void Drake Supply Crate
    • Festive Levitation Supply Crate
    • Golden Love Buggy Supply Crate
    • Moosedantix Supply Crate
    • Ornate Painted Tuskar Supply Crate
    • Armored Ethereal Drake Supply Crate

    Triple your chances for ONE WEEKEND ONLY!

    12:01 AM PDT, Friday, June 2 to 11:59 PM PDT Sunday, June 4th!

  2. #2
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    603

    Default

    3x nothing is still pretty much nothing, so that doesn't really increase chances by much... Not to mention the rest of the rewards apart form the rare mount are also pretty much nothing, or did they magically get updated for the event?
    Last edited by Jotunn; 06-01-2017 at 11:34 PM.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Rivkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post

    We’ve TRIPLED the chance to gain the rare rewards from supply crates this weekend!

    Triple your chances for ONE WEEKEND ONLY!

    12:01 AM PDT, Friday, June 2 to 11:59 PM PDT Sunday, June 4th!
    Isn't 3X .0000000000000001% chance still pretty bad? (the odds aren't disclosed, going off of personal experience) Come on, I've only ever gotten a mount from a box once, and I've been playing since 2013! Surely you can do better than that, right?

    Were the non-mount rewards at least made useful for players to have? It's tedious getting a tier 6 white frag that's not even for my class, especially if I must pay money to buy the box.

    It's a bummer that an event that requires RNG/luck to benefit from came directly following the pinata event which also required excessive RNG and luck (or credits)
    Last edited by Rivkah; 06-02-2017 at 02:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,866

    Default

    Have the contents other than the mounts been updated to be relevant to level 70 players (and please no fragments)?
    Will lockbox gear (= with the various 2-piece set bonuses) make a comeback?



    ... Can't even tell if sarcasm.

    Vocal players like you, Artewig, and me, may think lockboxes are lame, but if they didn't make the company money, they wouldn't be so prevalent. They're sadly fact of life. But putting on a promo event that you don't like is far from insulting. it's not like something has been taken away this weekend; nor are you being forced to participate.
    Last edited by Lightforce22; 06-02-2017 at 10:08 AM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Artewig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Have the contents other than the mounts been updated to be relevant to level 70 players (and please no fragments)?
    Will lockbox gear (= with the various 2-piece set bonuses) make a comeback?

    ... Can't even tell if sarcasm.

    Vocal players like you, Artewig, and me, may think lockboxes are lame, but if they didn't make the company money, they wouldn't be so prevalent. They're sadly fact of life. But putting on a promo event that you don't like is far from insulting. it's not like something has been taken away this weekend; nor are you being forced to participate.

    I disagree. This is intended to be a thank you. "As a thank you for traversing Telara with us, if you spend money on this item, you get a tripled** chance to receive something from the box (assuming the contents didn't magically improve without Trion sending out a news flash, which is highly unlikely given the potential sales in that).

    **We aren't going to disclose whether tripled is actually a significant improvement."

    While I do not think it is at all worth quitting over, I do find it insulting, especially given the massive feedback that has given on these boxes.

    No, this doesn't make me feel thanked or appreciated as a customer. But of course, this wasn't intended for me. This was more of a business move than a genuine thank you. And that is insulting.
    Last edited by Artewig; 06-02-2017 at 04:49 AM.
    R.I.P.

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara Bishoujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post



    ... but if they didn't make the company money, they wouldn't be so prevalent. They're sadly fact of life
    The sad fact of life is they've put an event, based on a "main revenue factor" of the game or whatever you like, which indeed nets them a lot of money, without even updating the loot tables of the boxes.
    Only useful things in those crates are the mounts, while it should have more different stuffs

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    588

    Default

    While I'm not a fan of RNG boxes(or always Trion in general but that's another story) and wish atleast they'd be updated to give something remotely useful for 70s(not bis or anything but something more appealing than white fragments and celestial remnants) and provide chance % like China just forced I think some people are going out of their way to be offended by this promo.

    For starters just because they say it's a "thank you" doesn't mean it has to be god's gift to mankind. Is it the type of thank you that requires you to shout "TRION IS THE BEST COMPANY EVER!!!!" from the rooftops? heck no, but 3x a normally tiny number is still 3x what it was normally.
    So for those that don't mind spending credits on boxes this makes it slightly easier to get what they want. For those that don't want to spend credits on the boxes then don't, it's just fluff. And personally I'd rather a company makes their money on fluff(regardless of if it's straight up sales or in RNG boxes) than nickel and diming and forcing you to spend $$ to get BIS items.

    Also Art I don't get what's ironic about the bump. Trion posted about the promo then a few hours later someone saw it and then bumped that other thread to show their displeasure with RNG mounts. Had it been the other way around where someone bumped it THEN Trion announced the promo there would be a case for it being ironic and a slap in the face but that wasn't the sequence of events.

  8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I was waiting for these responses - and VERY happy to respond. =)
    As some have noted, we are offering a wide range of special sale weekends, and it was time for crates to be in the rotation, for those who do enjoy them.

    I created a series of panels at last year's PAX events, centered around F2P vs P2W - and of course lockboxes was a topic I asked the panelists (from widely varied game companies) to address. It was an incredibly informative process, especially as we invited a Guild leader from the audience to join the panel on stage for each event.

    I think my friend and panelist Holly Longdale (Exec Producer, EQ Franchise) said it best: "If you don't want us to sell lockboxes, don't buy them!"
    That was just the lead in to a discussion in which several truths emerged:
    • Lockboxes make money to support development costs, in an environment where a very few people (and yes, it is under 15%) EVER spend money in a F2P game. They are an important part of revenue.
    • They are usually for cosmetic/fun rare items and a handful of useful items - no stats, or at least no OP items. This is important where we are all sensitive to the charged of "P2W" (which is a NA/EU thing, btw - in Asia, it's normal and accepted)
    • Some people LOVE them. Some people HATE them. Hate tends to be among those without the money to invest in this game feature, but hey... let's recognize that it allows us to offer more of our game for free, and that is a good thing.

    As you all know, we tend to offer the crate mounts for direct purchase after a period of exclusivity, during special mount sales. I've bought some crates myself, and did win an Ashen Greathound, but normally I wait for the sales.

    And yes, we pay close attention to this feedback. Anything that broadens the appeal of crates is also good for the game and development costs. We are evaluating the contents of the crates. We want them to be awesome as well, and we are committed to working towards that.

    Therefore... I'd love to redirect the remainder of this thread to become constructive, with "WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE IN CRATES IN FUTURE." Use of the phrase "slap in the face" is not constructive.
    • More level 70 stuff... but WHAT?
    • More useful stuff... but WHAT?
    Let's get specific, because we are very interested.

    ;-)#
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 06-02-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos, as usual!

  9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    684

    Default

    An added thought - why the hate for something that contains no OP/stat items in the first place? This is the epitome of optional items and it does not hurt anyone's gameplay.

    I don't buy many in any game I play, but I don't hate on them as some do. I am in fact grateful to the folks who buy lots, because they help keep the games I love running (I play at least for MMOGs at once).

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara Bishoujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    • More level 70 stuff... but WHAT?
    • More useful stuff... but WHAT?
    Let's get specific, because we are very interested.

    ;-)#
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ckboxes-6.html
    This is a thread that was quite very constructive on the matter and even you have posted on it,
    why ask again? we've said what we want,
    its your time to listen. not make us say it all again

  11. #11
    King of Slackers
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    • More level 70 stuff... but WHAT?
    • More useful stuff... but WHAT?
    Let's get specific, because we are very interested.

    ;-)#

    5 Pages Thread with feedback
    Another thread with feedback
    And another one

    My forum search is working btw
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons
    Youtube
    Twitch
    Ghar Station Discord

  12. #12
    Ascendant Artewig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Therefore... I'd love to redirect the remainder of this thread to become constructive, with "WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE IN CRATES IN FUTURE." Use of the phrase "slap in the face" is not constructive.
    • More level 70 stuff... but WHAT?
    • More useful stuff... but WHAT?
    Let's get specific, because we are very interested.

    ;-)#
    So you acknowledge that the rewards (other than the mount) are not as good as they should be? Or are we just going to be throwing ideas into the wind like last time? Were you just not interested a year ago when this thread was made? And if you had a response prepared for this kind of response, why did take player complaint to trigger the post? If you were genuinely concerned with what we want to see in the boxes, the event would have been preceded by an update to the loot table. But the fact that an acknowledgement of the concern appeared ONLY because players complained comes across as deceitful. If we vocal few decided to say nothing, would you have come forth with plans to improve the lockbox system? And don't say that if we don't speak up then nothing can happen because this response came as a result of literally three people complaining and I know for a fact that my pull on the forums isn't that of a third of the community.

    That being said, I'd love to see real raid mats. None of the stupid serums. Whetstones, Prophetic Crit Pots, Prophetic Vials, etc.
    R.I.P.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Clowd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    An added thought - why the hate for something that contains no OP/stat items in the first place? This is the epitome of optional items and it does not hurt anyone's gameplay.

    I don't buy many in any game I play, but I don't hate on them as some do. I am in fact grateful to the folks who buy lots, because they help keep the games I love running (I play at least for MMOGs at once).
    I believe the hate is coming from the low chances of things dropping, and some players actually appreciating that they can get something from lockboxes, even if it isn't a mount.

    Ultimately, the anger is coming from the understanding that the drop rate on mounts is low (even if it is tripled), combined with the perception that the mounts are not worth the price in lock boxes required to obtain them.

    For example, If the drop rate is 1%, then the mounts are perceived to be worth 100 lockboxes. If that is tripled to 3%, then the mounts are perceived to be worth 33-34 lockboxes. To some players, that is simply too much for those mounts, especially since nothing that is perceived to be worthwhile is available from these lockboxes.

    tl;dr - there is a perception that the items players want from the lockboxes are not worth the # of lockboxes to obtain.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Therefore... I'd love to redirect the remainder of this thread to become constructive, with "WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE IN CRATES IN FUTURE." Use of the phrase "slap in the face" is not constructive.
    • More level 70 stuff... but WHAT?
    • More useful stuff... but WHAT?
    Let's get specific, because we are very interested.
    More level 70 stuff would include things like: Level 70 gear with 2-set bonuses that provide mark/xp bonuses. World/Expert dungeon currency. In short, something useable, but no stronger than expert dungeon gear, or something that you can give to your alts to make leveling a bit smoother.

    More useful stuff could include things like new Ascendant gear that is Bind to Account and you can transfer to alts, and whose stats are tied to your level. Random wardrobe items. Rare artifacts.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

  14. #14
    Ascendant Laeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,079

    Default

    First off it is really nice to see the promo weekends offering so much various stuffs with discounts, better chances, giveaways and such. I'm sure it's already proven good for the game.

    As for the stuff people want to see, I have an entire thread dedicated to ways of making monetization both profitable and fun that also includes ideas for lockboxes.

    It's #6 on the list and there are also comments from other people suggesting nice ideas on how to improve boxes and make them more appealing.

    Besides that, since there's been a while since that thread was posted, here's a couple more:

    1. Bring lockboxes back to mob loot table. At least the 'retired' ones, or the old promotional ones, or just about any lockboxes (might even exclude the current one) - let people actually loot those from mobs from time to time. It was a thing a few years ago, now there's only useless anomalies that drop nothing of value and are more of a disappointment rather than a reward.

    2. If the box doesn't drop a mount, it absolutely has to drop something a player can benefit from in game. A box that costs $5 should have stuff in it worth those $5 considering people buy more than one at a time. If I don't get a mount let me at least sell stuff for good plat... or just have it drop good chunks of plat instead, whatever works. Either way SB or BtA items do not belong in the boxes just like competitive gear doesn't. They should either be valuable enough to not regret spending money or at least good enough to sell for plat (and yes ALL the stuff from boxes has to be tradable not bound, let people at least sell whatever they don't want to or can't use!). A pile of PE removal devices and several slots occupied by vials I'll never use all say "hi".



    We all realize that lockboxes aren't going anywhere and they indeed make a good part of profit for the game we love. I don't usually see people saying there should be no lockboxes in the game, what I do see is people suggesting so many things to make them better and more appealing that it's pretty clear that people do in fact want to pay for them... just not in the current state. I also know not every idea can make it into the game for various reasons, but at least some of them are good enough to consider. Thank you!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

  15. #15
    Ascendant spaceboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,760

    Default

    Could be fun if we had a community voting system on features/changes (like other games) and we could see an actual monetary indicator of something going to that feature. Like a kickstarter in game for dev time.
    We would be of course have to get over the initial mockery of admitting your playerbase are actually customers and directly funding something, but I wonder if it could actually catch on.

    (I bet there is legal things to protect against too, though we don't mind hiding lockbox stats in 2017 so who knows)

    Personally I'm reserved to give any money beyond patron just cause I don't know where it goes.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 06-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts