+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Colossal Crate Weekend!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #31
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

To the few who sarcastically point to other threads, you are missing the point, and you are not helping. I have asked for requests and suggestions to be made to this thread. From time to time we request directed feedback, and not surprisingly, the feedback varies over time. Linking old threads for constructive reasons is another matter. =)

To the many who have taken the time to make insightful, well-thought out lists here, THANK YOU. It's you we want to hear from, and these are fantastic. You've already brought Tacitus out to post, and he's been sick all week.

Please remember that this is an informational thread for feedback, and we are not going to make promises... but it's an excellent start!
    ;-)#
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 06-02-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    To the few who sarcastically point to other threads, you are missing the point, and you are not helping. I have asked for requests and suggestions to be made to this thread. From time to time we request directed feedback, and not surprisingly, the feedback varies over time. Linking old threads for constructive reasons is another matter. =)

To the many who have taken the time to make insightful, well-thought out lists here, THANK YOU. It's you we want to hear from, and these are fantastic. You've already brought Tacitus out to post, and he's been sick all week.

Please remember that this is an informational thread for feedback, and we are not going to make promises... but it's an excellent start!
    ;-)#
    I gather that you want understanding from the community and that your job isn't easy, but it's also a two-way street. Can't you understand why people who have been typing out long lists, and taking the time to offer feedback for years might be a little frustrated with this? I mean, this is years we're talking at this point. To some it might appear that their previous efforts weren't noticed or cared about. It's asking the community to duplicate the same work they've put in for years, yet again. Asking for more of their time.

I'm glad that there's the potential for positive change in this direction, so I really hope the feedback in this thread actually gets implemented this time around.
    Last edited by Rivkah; 06-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.

King of Slackers

To the few who sarcastically point to other threads, you are missing the point, and you are not helping.

Why should we post the same feedback we already gave you?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5309248

Thread 1:

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    How to improve supply crates/lock boxes

1) Increasing chance for top loot per box

Option 1: Add an accountwide currency (“Fragment of Pure Luck”). Each supply crate/lock box drops one of these fragments and for 25 you can buy a buff that gives you a 100% chance to get the top loot out of the next supply crate/lock box you open.

Option 2: Add a progression bar (similar to Trove) that gives you 100% chance on the top loot on the next supply crate/lock box you open when filled

Option 3: Increase the chance on getting the top loot by 1% per box opened and reset it to the default after you received it.

2) Add useful stuff to the boxes (for the majority of players)

- 1-5 vouchers that unlock a wardrobe appearance you haven’t unlocked yet

- A box of artifacts that only contains artifacts you do not already have collected (1-3 in it)

- A notoriety voucher for a faction you still need notoriety for (+250)

- Individual Reward Charges/Dungeon Charges/Warfront Charges (soulbound consumable)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    ArcheAge has the best way of doing the store/Lockboxes (different types of boxes, the chance to get a new super rare wardrobe/mount/housing item in one box, three different currencies-merit, gilda, loyalty) in all Trion games, hence why it keeps pulling me back.

Affinity started heading that way so things become available that are in lockboxes - it needs to keep going (updates regularly to items including wardrobe and pets - one version from the lockbox becomes available on the patron store) so loyal patrons feel like no matter what they will one day have that one dream item.

Regular specials that includes fluff items would also be glorious.

I really appreciate the way Tacitus went about Fae Yule items this year, this needs to spread across other fluff items including adding more wardrobe, pets etc to lucky coins and the new shadow market vendor etc

Kudos to you TicTac!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddr View Post
    Look at SWTOR style boxes. They contain multiple items every time and make you feel good about the purchase every time, even if they don't contain the highest end items. Their boxes often drop cosmetic items, low end mounts, and companion pets. I have never bought a box from them and felt sorry for the purchase. I have bought many boxes here and almost every purchase feels like a waste of money. If you want people to buy more boxes, put stuff in every box that makes the player feel like they aren't getting ripped off.

An example for this would be a lock box dropping the following:
    Currency drop
    Planar Fragment drop
    Possible service item drop
    Possible older mount drop, like even a cheap plat purchase able one
    Possible companion drop, like older mount
    Possible cosmetic drop
    Possible dye drop
    Possible dim box drop
    Other miscellaneous drops
    Rare mount drop

Make there a guarantee of three to four drops per box of tangible item drops

Watch this take the anger and disappointment of lock boxes and turn them into fun. I'm going to buy a box from both rift and SWTOR tonight to illustrate the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Dusky Beauty View Post
    There is very limited satisfaction involved on the customer's end with the purchase of sets of troves. Trion's financial office may not see a difference between "happy money" and "dissatisfied money", but someone really needs broach the topic.

Lockboxes are here to stay. What they need, is a makeover. We need to make them a fun purchase again.
    Here is a collection of suggestions, compiled for for Trion's convenience.

~Please diversify the potential contents.
    A low % chance of raid quality items, a mount, and junk random gear of quality equal to dungeons is just far too limited for the odds of something being useful at all. It's a tired formula, despite it not being much labor on the programming end, it just doesn't make a satisfying experience. We see costumes and character appearance based "fluff" so rarely in the past year. If you're not going to roll out new bundles or hair styles, at least toss them into boxes. Maybe I wont get a mount playing 50 bucks in boxes, but if I got a different hair style (like a long single braid) that would make people ask "where I got it" it would be a lot more worth it to your player base.

~Please remove bind on pickup to all the "I can only use one of these" items. Even if I can't use something I receive in a lock box (already have one, I don't like the look, etc) It is by default more valuable to me if I can give it away or sell it, and I feel less jipped from the box. The deathbound steel set for example was a great way to go. More of that please.

~Please follow suit after Bioware's lockbox model. This is highly successful on both the corporate and consumer end. What gives the greater perception of value is that Bioware breaks down the box contents in the description. You are guaranteed one item out of several categories. You may get all junk and one stunning housing decoration. Or a lot of common items and a really useful character emote. The more items you pull from one box, the better you have a shot at the customer perceiving a "bargain" and saying to themselves- "Wow I'm glad I spent my money on that.. I cant wait to do it again!"

Easy for me to say, right? Why don't I just decide what should be in the boxes since it's so easy? Well,. don't mind if I do. Here are some suggestions for new classifications of items that I know that my playstyle would greatly appreciate and would really raise "box stock". These are offered in the spirit of suggestion.

Suggested Trove unlocks/items

-Unique dimension items. Give us a shot (however low) at truly one of a kind showstopping dimension items we cant get anywhere else. Recolors of existing items are also a proven formula. (Obsidian stone desk and chair, purple brevane benches) I would not even request any new or unique models. Just a fresh twist on what we already have with a minimal amount of programming hours would send dimensioneers into a wanton, mouth frothing box buying tizzy.

-Hair styles. We have not had a new way to arrange hair in literally years. Give us that cascade of hair with the tiara on that stunning bahmi beauty on the right of the NT screen. A single long braid. A fresh take on long dreads. Any variation we can put on a character to make us feel unique is an investment in a long term Rift relationship. I could care less if the unlock was account wide, gender limited, or good for one character only. Just make sure it's not bind on pickup so we can swap it around for one we want if we already have it.

-Emotes. Unlock other races dances. A /chair sit emote that forms a chair underneath us. Sneezing. Yoga poses. Whatever. Anything I can do that looks neat and makes people wonder how I am able to do it.

-Pre-existing rare items. How about long gone or out of date "legacy" items like the madness kirins, or companions that dont spawn anymore? This may be "lazy" but I'd rather a shot at something less exclusive that I've seen before than nothing at all.

-Dye unlocks. A shot at a 200 credit permanant dye unlock would be gravy.

- A random luck of the draw for any item available for credits on the Rift store perhaps? Maybe its an upgrade orb, maybe an XP vial, maybe its a soul pack, maybe its a mount. Never know!

-Clothing and armor bundles. Look around at things NPCs are already wearing. I cant tell you how many times I hear on faeblight how badly someone wants a trenchcoat for females, "miela blahnik" stiletto heels. A long skirt for a pants slot.

-As touched upon slightly in dimension items--- we will eat up recolors of stuff we've had for years. Supernova Aurora mount? (White fire)... Abyssal black horse? Desert horse with a more refined look than the mathosian draft horses? Peacock budgy? A runed vaiyu with blue glowing tattoos? Stone bear?

And finally, to bring it all in home--- As things are added, please make ALL OF IT bind on use. There is nothing more frustrating than continuing to pull items you already have and can't do anything with. Please let these things be tradable and sellable, and I guarantee you'll see a spike in REX business to boot.

Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    As the title suggests, the thread is about making money off Rift without building paywalls where they don't belong. These are just my thoughts, inspired by my own playing experience and things I've heard here/in the game/in various chats from other players.

1. Run more sales for both mounts and unique wardrobe sets.

Every time there's a mount sale reel, people rush to buy mounts they've always wanted but couldn't get for different reasons. I've bought a few off the sales myself. Obviously, rotating the same mounts every time would get old pretty soon, so include more mounts - unique (old promos, old chieves especially those no one does anymore), event, promo events etc etc. Everybody knows every seasonal event will have last year's special for currency instead of credits. But what if I want it right meow? A mount sale would allow people to buy more cool mounts during the year without having to gamble or wait for special promotions/events (that's especially true for events that aren't happening anymore).

Same with wardrobes: run unique wardrobe sales every now and then similar to mount reels. Let people buy what they always wanted but never got to spend credits on - sometimes, even a 5% off makes the item that much more attractive.

2. Speaking of wardrobes, make it possible to buy separate unlocks with credits!

Seriously, why is this even not in game yet? We're able to draw artifacts straight from the artifact UI, but for some reason unable to get that one last piece of set (that awesome weapon skin, that no longer available costume piece) with credits?

Let's be honest here, there are no accurate and up-to-date sources of info on where to obtain gear/weapon pieces, unless it's something obvious (like raid drops). Even if there are sources, wardrobe unlocks have different item names from the actual items that unlock their appearance. So, looking for a certain unlock, almost every time, is a PITA. Let us "draw" specific wardrobe unlocks for credits! Make the pricing reasonable (the more reasonable it is, the more pieces will be bought). Obviously, all slots should be available to such unlocks, weapons included.

3. Speaking of wardrobes again, what's the matter with Affinity wardrobes?

Currently, the only wardrobe available for Affinity is, to say the least, underwhelming. To be more exact, it's something we've all seen like a thousand times before. Meanwhile, the mount section is doing great and even gets updated, with items you can't (for the most part) get elsewhere. Why is the wardrobe section so sad then? Please, add more interesting stuff in there! A re-colored version of an old wardrobe isn't something I'd spend my Affinity points on, especially when there's cool dimension items and mounts. Make Affinity more appealing to wardrobe junkies, please!

4. Here's something I've suggested a long time ago but never got a reply to: Make hairstyles AND emotes available to all races/factions for credits!

Come on, we already have hairstyles/skintones/unique emotes packs. Meaning, it's entirely possible to make those in packs, right? So why can't my Kelari rock those dwarven dance moves huh?! That's something I'd gladly pay for, as well as the ability to unlock separate appearances/hairstyles/etc that are currently locked by race/faction. Yes, I know, faction changing scrolls and all. Err, switching to play a Guardian dwarf instead of my Defiant Kelari? Yeah, not gonna happen. Give me separate unlocks for styles and emotes, and my credits are yours. Don't forget to also put them on sale every now and then.

5. Generally, just put more stuff on sale more often! You won't believe all the stuff people would buy should they see a lower price tag, not because the item is not worth it but because we aren't all billionaires and we have priorities as to what to spend the credits on first. Sometimes even awesome items look too pricey - give us an option to buy stuff we wouldn't normally buy!

6. For the love of RNG gods, make lockboxes more appealing!

There's been multiple threads with oh so many comments on why lockboxes are bad. And no, they aren't bad because they make us gamble. They're bad because they're not worth the price like 90% of the time. Yes there are some awesome items... well, one - the mount. That has an incredibly low chance of dropping. What about other stuff? Isn't it enough that every time I'd open a lockbox I'd be disappointed twice instead of once: first because there's never a mount, second because anything but the mount is junk?

We get it, lockboxes aren't going anywhere. There's probably even a decent amount of people who are still buying those. Wouldn't it be great if more people started doing it? That's easy. Make it worth the money. Add more stuff! Rare weapon unlocks, more pets, more wardrobe sets (cool wardrobes, not the ones we can get for like 5p total in the AH), more fluff consumables, unique dimension items (hi Stan), and so on. Make it all tradeable so people could compensate at least some costs even if there's nothing they need from the box.

And here's another one: increase the mount drop chance at least a little. More people getting mounts from boxes = more people buying boxes. People seeing there's no way in hell they're getting anything good = less people buying boxes. Simple.

7. Last but not least: make Patron great again more appealing.

Personally I was very happy to hear about the recent change to non-patrons. Better late than never, and it is indeed very important to improve certain things not by taking away from other things, but by looking for ways to actually improve.

Right now, as a purely casual player who doesn't play long hours, I don't see any need in paying for Patron status. Even while levelling, it wasn't really that annoying to pay for the soul mend now and then and use some vials from 69 to 70. I don't hunt arties, I don't really care about currency bonus. Credit discounts are nice but not enough reason for me to get patron. Without weekly quests I don't care which pvp matches I'm going to get - randoms are enough.

I know we can't get a credit stipend even though other games do it - okay, no biggie. I absolutely love Affinity system but let's be honest: it takes time to get most things and we need something more than just the option to get a cool thingie once every few months(!). Patron boxes are nice, but again - see #6.

Here's just a few things that could be added to Patron to make it better for different play styles:

- Credit discounts? Great! Make a discount for upgrading dimensions for credits too, the price to get one to tier 5 especially when you build a lot is way too high.

- Add more fluff (better discounts to fluff items, such as mounts & wardrobes)

- Add weekly/monthly quests for patrons that would reward substantial amounts of both plat and currency, perhaps also some cool fluff items that could be - again - tradeable.

- Make loyalty gain for patrons faster than it normally is, at least a little.

- Add more low-price purchases for Affinity (pets, dyes, single dimension items, single hairstyles and emotes, stuff that can be purchased within a month instead of several months - for those who pay monthly that would be a nice addition).

-------------------------------

As you can see, all the suggestions are limited to fluff items and unlocks; no extreme paywall solutions or anything that can be remotely considered pay to win. In fact I've seen many people say the game store needs more fluff to offer for money so people could support the game without feeling they've been forced into it.

If you have any other suggestions - please comment below, and let's keep it nice and civil.

Quote Originally Posted by notawaifu View Post
    Fill the boxes with a lot more things. Have a standard rotation of purple minions, cool costume items, random pet skins, random non event mounts, random currencies, red pots. Remove all the crap from the boxes.

When you open a box you should feel good every time. You should get something of some value. Of course you will still want to uber rare mounts or whatever the event is. And since you like reskinning things. Add in another uber, uber rare mount on top: that has a glowing gold aura or something.

eg. Box might have a Pink Budgie but the uber rare is a Pink Budgie with a glowing Pink aura with hearts floating up.

~ a box could look like:

[Transcendent] Uber Lovely Budgie
    [Relic] Lovely Budgie, a full event Wardrobe set
    [Epic] Lovely Wardobe Piece, random mount,
    [Rare] Epic Minion, transcendent Vial, Raid Currencies, high tier pet skin, high tier companions, high tier minions, high tier dimension items (relating to the event preferably)
    [Uncommon] World + pvp Currencies, random wardrobe pieces, low tier pet skin, random epic+ dim items (things that are either plat expensive or hard to find). some random Relic/ Epicartifacts that the opener doesn't have,

~ I don't know how the rolls work. But with this it should be: You always get 2 UC (or 1 UC + 1 Ra), and 1 either, Re, E or, T. So you're getting three things. Two ok things and one chance at something great or something amazing. Obviously not make it a 1/3 for the final 3 tiers; weigh them appropriately (Trans <1%, Relic 1%, Epic the rest%,)

~ Add in a new lock box only item. Artifact Wallet to Screen button: is a single use charge. When used you can pick any artifact set to complete. / Or it just a free use of the 'Draw!' button on any set.

~ List every, single, damn item in the boxes rotation. and a vague game related term, or just give us percent values, on getting the things inside.

~ Sell older lockboxes at higher prices without the uber mounts in them in the lockbox menu. And rotate them to the front pages every week / when a new mount/lockbox is introduced. Have each box include their own unique 'random' item pools they pick from.

This was an example but the point is. More work into cosmetics and drop the "cosmetics don't make money." Many games survive on it alone... You're going to have to actually put work into this so I doubt it'll ever come to fruition.

- people only invest in the bags they really need;
    - depending on how much specific bag space they need, people would either invest in multiple small/medium bags or at least one HUGE bag, either way you'll have lots of people investing into it if the starting price is reasonable;
    - add bags to lockboxes;
    - have patron discounts on upgrades;
    - have titles and/or cute little fluff gifts for upgrading to "HUGE";
    - and whatever else to make this better.
    Thread 3

I've recently started playing another game that I'm not going to name that also has a sort of lockbox system. First off, you actually get free boxes by completing quests, challenges and even looting random mobs. It's not completely RNG - each box has a tooltip saying what exactly you can get from this particular box. But above all that, the loot is actually worth getting! In-game currencies (and a decent amount of them), sweet perks like 3/7 days of premium (=patron), etc. So even if you don't get anything fancy you're still getting something that you can actually use in game. If you can't use it you can always sell it. Like I'd be happy to get rid of the tons of prestige vials I got but... you know.

Patron boxes should drop better stuff more than any other lockboxes since it actually gives another reason to keep the sub going. So far, all lockboxes in the game are absolutely not worth spending on, including patron boxes too.

Just quoting a few posts from the not helping threads.
    Last edited by keepor; 06-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons
    Youtube
    Twitch
    Ghar Station Discord

Hmmm, I didnt notice any hint of sarcasm in the posts that had links to the other posts,
    I dont see myself in any place to say so but maybe it'll be better for both the devs and players' side if there weren't fast judgements like this one.

And may I ask why the older topics are "invalid"? only cause they arent recent? as noticed in this same thread, the opinions havent really changed,or so I think,

may you please light up the matter, Brasse?

I've been a lockbox-aholic in just about every game I play, lol.

In Keepor's quoted thread a few posts back, I would echo Kiwi's original statement: "ArcheAge has the best way of doing the store/Lockboxes (different types of boxes, the chance to get a new super rare wardrobe/mount/housing item in one box)"

and combine with Dusky Beauty's quote: "Please remove bind on pickup to all the "I can only use one of these" items. Even if I can't use something I receive in a lock box (already have one, I don't like the look, etc) It is by default more valuable to me if I can give it away or sell it, and I feel less jipped from the box."

....and put them together.

Usually, in Archeage for example, there's a "prize" everyone wants (like a new mount) However, the boxes can also contain very valuable, non-bound items (like regrade gems) which when sold, pad my game wallet and I feel good! (and then I can often buy the mount in the AH, lol). In other words..there's more than one way to win...and often I end up with far more than I hoped..even if I didn't get the prize mount! And...then I go back and get more...try again...and again..and again, etc. lol.

I loved Rift boxes when I had characters leveling. The BOA gear that dropped helped immensely! However, at higher levels (or at cap) ...those "consolation prizes" aren't worth much to me so...I've given up the gamble.

Not sure if this has been suggested, (I've skimmed too many posts!) but...perhaps if the boxes always contained a unique "lockbox token" currency that added up over time and could be used to purchase something from a unique menu...then even if I lost out on a prize, I'd feel like I got something usable. (That..or a lockbox token you could exchange for one of the existing currencies...like, if you were one bracelet shy of getting something from Summerfest, exchanging a lockbox token for a bracelet; It is a perk, not making lockboxes necessary but..kinda handy)
    Last edited by BlytheElf; 06-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    Dims by Blythe@FB: Heat Miser & Snow Miser - Margaritaville - Winter's Garden - RP Rustic Pub - Weekend Log Cabin - Brasse Beards 'n Ale - Starry, Kelari Sands

Reading this thread literally makes me feel like i'm in highschool where it's the teachers v parents, but the teachers still treats the parents like children.

How about we skip the mushy wishy washy silly phrasing and stupid political debates of a game, lmao.

- Lockboxes drop nothing useful except for a mount.
    - Lockboxes don't drop mounts anywhere near as frequent as you'd like.
    - If you're silver tier you can buy 3 lockboxes, put in a ticket, complain, get free mounts (true story on multiple occasions with multiple people so don't tell me it's not.)

Me? I've blown $400 on lockboxes in total I think since 2014 when i started playing. Never got a mount until Void Drake patron box this year.

What can you do to improve lockboxes and make people want to buy them?

- Not increase the drop rate of mounts because 0% * 0 = 0% anyway, just false advertisement.
    - Instead, read (listen) to your playerbase of the few people left. Put back in favour vials. Put back in pet skins, put back in hair styles, put back in all this random stuff that is actually WORTH SOMETHING that we would USE rather then a fragment.

How's this food for thought - Every week when I open my patron lock box, it reminds me of why I don't buy lockboxes. Because I get 300 odd celestial remnants and a tier 6 dodge fragment.

Call me insane, but that aint worth $4, $4 can get you like 3 good games on steam lol.

Pull your heads in, it's not complicated.

Lot of great ideas in this thread, and as someone who has spent (way too much) money on lockboxes, would love to see some of those changes/improvement implemented.

I had one idea for the mounts specifically: when a lockbox is released with a new mount, starting one full year later, have it be available for direct purchase. Could be always up (so a slowly growing list of available premium mounts) or in a rotation perhaps based on category. Would love to see say, all the Ki Rins sold for 2-4 weeks, then all the Arclight Riders, then the Dire Squirrels, etc. I know there are several older mounts that are essentially impossible to get at this point in time, and barring one of those random flash sales, which are rare, happening to include a mount you're looking for, which is a very low chance, it won't happen.

With a rotation system like that, you would know that if you waited for up to a year (depending on when in the cycle the set you wanted got rotated in) you could eventually buy that mount. As long as every "category" of mounts came up once/year at minimum, it would be infrequent enough to encourage impulse buys, but not so rare that it feels like it's impossible to get. This is especially true of the late Storm Legion/early Nightmare Tide mounts which are nearly impossible at this point to find.

(and add my vote to start having Unicornalia, Arclight Ascendancy, Temporal Flux, etc. rotated back in again! One event per month for the first week of the month!)
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #38
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

It's going to be an iterative process, for sure!
    Again, mucho thanks to the folks for feedback. And we bring these things up multiple times for the same reason that people have multiple meetings: ideas, needs, circumstances and challenges change over time.

See you all next week!
    Brasse

Default Just checking

Hiya, I've been hoarding away my troves from the patron weekly gifts for some time now. Therefore I just wanted to check before getting too excited/opening, are there increased odds for ALL of the troves?

Including:
    Azure Snail Supply Crate
    Jolt Supply Crate
    Crabnarok Lock Box
    Ashen Greathound Supply Crate

??????????????

Because if all of these have increased odds of getting the mount I might actually open them!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgad View Post
    Reading this thread literally makes me feel like i'm in highschool where it's the teachers v parents, but the teachers still treats the parents like children.

How about we skip the mushy wishy washy silly phrasing and stupid political debates of a game, lmao.

- Lockboxes drop nothing useful except for a mount.
    - Lockboxes don't drop mounts anywhere near as frequent as you'd like.
    - If you're silver tier you can buy 3 lockboxes, put in a ticket, complain, get free mounts (true story on multiple occasions with multiple people so don't tell me it's not.)

Me? I've blown $400 on lockboxes in total I think since 2014 when i started playing. Never got a mount until Void Drake patron box this year.

What can you do to improve lockboxes and make people want to buy them?

- Not increase the drop rate of mounts because 0% * 0 = 0% anyway, just false advertisement.
    - Instead, read (listen) to your playerbase of the few people left. Put back in favour vials. Put back in pet skins, put back in hair styles, put back in all this random stuff that is actually WORTH SOMETHING that we would USE rather then a fragment.

How's this food for thought - Every week when I open my patron lock box, it reminds me of why I don't buy lockboxes. Because I get 300 odd celestial remnants and a tier 6 dodge fragment.

Call me insane, but that aint worth $4, $4 can get you like 3 good games on steam lol.

Pull your heads in, it's not complicated.
    I agree with Gilgad. The only thing I can say about lockboxes is that it's like a casino where we all know "house always wins."

Plane Walker

So lockboxes are part of the reason I stopped playing Rift in early 2015. I gave extensive feedback then and will again.

I have spent a fair bit of money on Rift. I am more than halfway through Purple Tier and all of that minus perhaps 2 rex was actually gleaned from paypal purchases that I made. This I did willingly.

I grew bitter about the lockboxes because during Storm Legion, the Supply Crates would drop those Prismatic Wellsprings that nobody used for anything and that could be crafted by apothecaries. If I spend 405 credits on a lockbox, the last thing I want is a consumable that can be purchased from a crafter for around 10-15p in materials. Same goes for runes. I also do not want blue gear that was worse than what I received from completing the story quests.

If I buy a lockbox, I expect to receive *something* interesting. And I know that everybody's definition of interesting varies so here is what I expect to see out of lockboxes:
    -Mounts
    -Services I do not currently have on my account like dye buckets or extra skin/hair options or amphibious mount training
    -Pets
    -Costumes -- whether full bundles or single items
    -Fluff events like the runes that make you glow with planar energy or the potions that turn you into planar creatures or the Mech Wand.
    -Minion cards
    -Runes/dream orbs/potions that CAN'T be obtained from crafting, or purchased for platinum on the Rift Store.
    -Last name scrolls, rename scrolls, faction change scrolls, and a Unique Title scroll (I feel like I've seen people with titles they've obviously made up for themselves, I think that's a really cool thing that I'd pay for or buy a box hoping to get)
    -Random amounts of currency relevant to my level
    -Notoriety/Commendation marks -- or writs of Notoriety I don't already have maxed
    -Artifacts (hell, make a Lockbox-Only artifact set or 20)

Things I don't want to see:
    -Runes, potions, enchants, or other consumables that can be crafted or purchased for platinum, or that are equivalent/so similar as to be undistinguisable except for a different name and icon
    -Gear worse than quest gear/adventure dealer gear (ie the Celestial Remnant purchasable gear) -- you might as well just put in a pile of heliacal dust/stars.
    -White fragments
    -Cosmic Cores
    -Crafting materials below Relic quality

In the case of account wide things such as Mounts, Minion Cards or services -- is there no mechanism to exclude things already unlocked? Cause receiving multiples of things that are then account-bound also feels like a waste of 405 credits. And I know that's only a few dollars, but if I wanted to throw a few dollars away on three Heliacal dust, or even an item that I just destroy, I could also just take three dollars out of my wallet and let them fly out the window of my car on my drive home from work. I chose to spend about $50 on Fae Yule boxes one year and it literally took all of that money to get a stupid snowflake staff. The only thing that satisfied me was that I got some kind of wardrobe piece in each box, it just took me forever to get the staff. I got like 14 1h ice swords first. :P Hence my next thing...

So maybe Trion does not wish to trivialise lockbox loot by making them Bind-on-Equip/Use and forcing them to be account bound -- but then you need to make sure a player opening a lockbox does not receive something they already have, or cannot use.

I'd honestly prefer to see NO gear or stat providing items and have it all be fluff, but there's a part of me that might not object to dream orbs that you can only get out of boxes for, say, your cape. (Didn't dream orbs used to go on capes? Why'd that change?) The people obsessed with BIS would buy the orbs/the boxes, and the rest of us would consider it a nice bonus.

tl;dr:
    Iphi wishes
    that every box she pays for would drop fluff like mount, costume, pet, minion, or wardrobe/services like hair, dye buckets, skin colour, amphibious mount training, rename(/etc) scrolls, unique titles;
    that no craftable items or items purchaseable for platinum from the Rift Store would be included, and
    that each item is useable by the character/account and not something already owned or unlocked
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Telaran

It 's quite desappointing to buy crates and gain ... planar fragment, not even good ones for my vocation.

For lvl65-, we have a chance to gain small piece of stuff with extra bonus with 2 pieces :
    * +10% notoriety
    * +10% experience
    * +10% currency
    * fast mount

But for lvl66+ it is quite only some rare vial and one fragment which is recycled imediatly.

There is also some very rare wardrobe set, very very rare ...

Why not adding in those crate:
    - more wardrobes items (not only full set but also weapons for example)
    - some new lvl70 stuff with bonus (xp/notoriety/currency)

Today I stop buying crates because I win nothing at all if there is no mount inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
    <hello>
    Couldn't agree more with this post. One of the major issues with lockboxes is that even though technically the items you get (besides the mount) have a value (=credit price tag in the store), they're still
    - not useful in many cases
    - not "rewarding" in a way you'd expect it to be from a box

First of all, they're bound, you can't trade or sell them - and if you're not going to use them (seriously, who needs THAT many unsocketers?..) then it just feels like you've wasted your money on nothing. Second, and it's equally important, trivial items never feel like an actual reward. When you buy a box that generally says "hey open me and get AWESOME STUFF", you'd expect something, well, awesome. Something you don't have, or something you can't just buy off the store, or at least more than one single item and a bunch of marks. I can live with getting my 50th PE removal device if it's not the only thing I'm getting from a box. Even a dye unlock voucher would feel more rewarding; or a weapon skin I don't have yet, or an artifact draw voucher - whatever works, as long as it's something I can actually use.

Besides that, having non-tradeable items generally sucks. I need to be able to sell the drop if I don't need it to get some plat for it in order to not feel ripped off. You can't make everyone happy with the drops, but the fact that people could actually get plat for stuff from boxes would make it way better. Honestly, I wish I could sell those piles of prestige pots I got over the years, but oh well. Yes I can sell costume bundles (in case I don't have the skins yet), but that's not nearly enough, especially considering the drop rate. We need to be able to sell at least half the stuff that drops from the boxes - if not service items then everything else.

And last but not least. Fragments and gear do not belong in lockboxes. Part of the reason why people call boxes p2w is because there's gear/stats in them (and yes those can be lower than world gear but people don't care about minor details, you're selling gear - you're p2w, end of story). One might argue that the frags and gear from boxes aren't any better than random OW drops... but then, why in the world would I pay $5 per box that drops a crappy fragment I'll recycle anyway? Making lockbox gear/frags actually competitive is the worst idea I can think of; so the only viable option is just get rid of them all together. There's more than enough cosmetics we'd love to see in those boxes, we do not need gear dropping from them. If making an alt lvl70 ready is such a big deal then just add the scaleable gear to Ascended gift boxes and problem solved. Getting rid of gear and frag drops from lockboxes and making them cosmetic only is one of the major things you could do to make them more appealing.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Disciple

why in the world would I pay $5 per box
    WHY do people keep saying the boxes cost $5 each?

If you buy the $20 credit option you get 3250 credits, divide by 405 credits per box = 8 boxes.

$20/8 boxes = $2.50

Even cheaper if you purchase the higher value credit options. Stop with the '$5 per box'!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitzkatz View Post
    WHY do people keep saying the boxes cost $5 each?

If you buy the $20 credit option you get 3250 credits, divide by 405 credits per box = 8 boxes.

$20/8 boxes = $2.50

Even cheaper if you purchase the higher value credit options. Stop with the '$5 per box'!
    Depends on which boxes you're talking about and if you do or do not count in the patron discount. Some boxes are/were ~600-700 credits per and no, not everyone buys credits in bulk. Also, EU prices are, in fact, higher than NA (not a dramatic difference but still).

So yes, techinically not all boxes are worth $5, however many of them are, and their drops aren't any better than those of cheaper boxes.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast