+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By TrionBrasse
  • 2 Post By MakeClericsGreatAgain
  • 1 Post By Brutalize11
  • 2 Post By Honoun
  • 2 Post By Bishoujo

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: GLYPH UPDATE: A FASTER, LIGHTER EXPERIENCE!

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default GLYPH UPDATE: A FASTER, LIGHTER EXPERIENCE!

http://www.trionworlds.com/en/news/2...er-experience/

Building A Better Glyph!

We’re always looking to improve your experience with our games, and more often than not, that experience begins with Glyph. We created Glyph as a way to facilitate all kinds of updates, whether it’s a game patch with sweet new content, a heads up on a not-to-missed deal, or the state-of-the-game blogs.

Thanks to your feedback, we were able to identify your biggest concerns with the Glyph experience. A great many of you mentioned the memory usage and CPU performance that Glyph was gobbling up. While this won’t be the last time we assess and address this issue, we are excited to talk about the release of an update that frees up more of your computer’s resources so you can focus on crushing that 20-man raid, explore strange lands or bask in the glory of your fantastic creations.

We’ve decided to drop the browser functionality in Glyph, which caused a heavier load to systems. Web browsers are complicated things that require constant updating to keep on top of performance, standards, and security. We don’t think that a web framework belongs in Glyph. Without the browser, it’s running much lighter! We can now focus on letting people play with less “stuff” hanging around in the background while a game is running.

To further illuminate how much lighter this is, the prior version used around 200MB of memory in the background, while this new version runs with less than 50MB! There were even times when Glyph could get up around 400MB, so the improvement is vast. With your continued feedback we’ll continue to find ways ways to enhance Glyph’s performance so that you can enjoy your favorite games even more!

– TheBlueMuzzy

(we'd love to hear about your experiences with it here! ~Brasse)

Telaran

Glyph runs in the background at 48-51% CPU usage after update. RIFT itself is running at 15-18% for comparison.

A 20 man raid? whats that? You are all doing a great job Rift Team, from Balancing to very fast content release to coming up with ideas that people really love, to extending our gaming experience after taking it away and to overall knowledge about whats been happing in the game overall.

I miss you 20 man raids, rest in peace since forever ago.

General of Telara

Well as much as I'd like a lean Glyph, since March all new versions refuse to load the "normal" game library when run und wine (on Linux) and hence only offer 32bit Rift (because the 64bit config is a long broken alpha-test entry) and Defiance, the only games that still support Windows XP.

But wine never handled the memory consumption well in 32bit (i.e. crashes a lot even at reduced texture detail), so I'm stuck with the old STABLE-103-710-A-172613 build until someone fixes the 64bit config on wine (and yes Glyph does detect wine, so someone apparently put some work into it), if the old version keeps working for that long, that is.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Telaran

Overall, I like the improvements made.
    But what I would love is an Glyph gamewide friendlist. To see which friend is playing what and to communicate outside of games. I dont like WoW but have to admit, that I really like battle.net system and the way the friendlist works there.
    So far,
    Bruta
    My 3-Way (3 Chars) PvP-Montage : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJdaAu5L8E - Enjoy!

Uhm.. I just checked that box in settings to close Glyph when the game launches. Problem solved

Active Dimensions - Mupi's Home

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    that 20-man raid
    Which one exactly?

Soulwalker

Default Would love to see the changes but...

Unfortunately Glyph is stuck in a constant download loop - reaches between 25-50% then stalls.
    Have tried repairing Glyph, deleting the AppData files, followed the various troubleshooting steps, uninstalling the program and re-installing. Nothing appears to work.

Any idea what's going on?

Soulwalker

Default Fer crying out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Well as much as I'd like a lean Glyph, since March all new versions refuse to load the "normal" game library when run und wine (on Linux) and hence only offer 32bit Rift (because the 64bit config is a long broken alpha-test entry) and Defiance, the only games that still support Windows XP.

But wine never handled the memory consumption well in 32bit (i.e. crashes a lot even at reduced texture detail), so I'm stuck with the old STABLE-103-710-A-172613 build until someone fixes the 64bit config on wine (and yes Glyph does detect wine, so someone apparently put some work into it), if the old version keeps working for that long, that is.
    Get a windows 10 computer for crying out loud and be done with it. They are DIRT CHEAP, so work some overtime and get one or beg borrow or steal one off ur parents!

Soulwalker

Default Best way to 'upgrade' Glyph.........

For my purposes the best way to upgrade glyph would be to get rid of it entirely and just go back to single game launchers.. as the only game I play is RIFT, and the only one I'm interested in is RIFT, and I can't hide the others, I find even having them listed to the side an annoyance. I had no problem with the RIFT launcher, in fact I much preferred it.

Telaran

Default Window 10

Quote Originally Posted by Menow View Post
    Get a windows 10 computer for crying out loud and be done with it. They are DIRT CHEAP, so work some overtime and get one or beg borrow or steal one off ur parents!
    I aggree with Lynx3d. But to put the operating system down on a person computer is wrong. Doesn't it matter what the person is comfortable playing and what they can afford. Windows 10 is not the the greatest OS out there. I for one will not have Window 10 until Windows 7 dies for the fact I can't afford to go out and replace every peripheral that I use with my computer.

+ Reply to Thread