Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT LIVESTREAM Jan 13: A Balancing Act (post Q's here!)

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default RIFT LIVESTREAM Jan 13: A Balancing Act (post Q's here!)

RIFT Livestream Jan 13: The Balancing Act

What is balance, anwyay? Who decides what abilities get buffed, nerfed and tweaked? How do they make the call? Why is it SO hard?

This week, we explore the philosophy, methodology and processes employed by the RIFT Systems Team when addressing the ever-moving goals of class balance. RIFT is unique among games in having am almost limitless combination of soul builds to work with, and this complexity often leads to heated discussions between passionate gamers on forums, Reddit and in-game.

Chris "Keyens" Meyer will be on hand to talk about how the team views and evaluates balance, and the challenges of trying to accommodate the widely varied opinions and desires of RIFT players when it comes to specific classes, skills and builds. Balance in this game is definitely not one size fits all, and Keyens will describe the internal process of evolving class skills, including when and how the Systems team decides to tweak them.

Keyens will delve into the challenges of player feedback, parsers, opinions, synergies and perspectives in a world of widely varying playstyles and approaches. We will take a number of questions from this Livestream question thread, but be aware that Keyens is here to address class balance philosophy, evaluation and process, not the highly detailed raid parse or effects/viability/needs of a specific build, ability or soul. Thanks for your understanding!

RIFT Livestream
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds
    Start Time: Friday, January 13 at 3:30 PM PST (GMT-8)
    Duration: 45 minutes

Finding new ways to take on content with RIFT's complex Soul system is part of the meta game in Telara.
    Please post your Balance questions for the livestream to this thread.
    We look forward to hearing from you!

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

PLEASE POST QUESTIONS FOR THE LIVESTREAM HERE.

Caveat: Keyens is here to address class balance philosophy, evaluation and process, not the highly detailed raid parse or effects/viability/needs of a specific build, ability or soul. Thanks for your understanding!

Stay on topic.... staaaaaaaay on topic.... =)

Telaran

In before the Stream (Do not care much for it) I just want a date for when I can come back and play Rift. I am fed up in it's current state.

When is class changes coming to live?
    Martimar@Seastone
    Martimart@Seastone
    The Cult

I would prefer some insight in the philosophy before asking questions..

Would it be possible to at least have a summary of the ideas behind balancing and what issues the devs encounter in their process of balancing?

It might make for more insight and more specific questions...

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Let's stay on topic, please. We have a lot of different threads on a lot of different topics.

We're not pulling questions addressing other areas of the game, because we have only 45 minutes for the stream. We're also not pulling trollish, baiting questions.

Brasse

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    I would prefer some insight in the philosophy before asking questions..

Would it be possible to at least have a summary of the ideas behind balancing and what issues the devs encounter in their process of balancing?

It might make for more insight and more specific questions...
    I totally get that, and that is one reason I asked Keyens to do this stream. =)

Balance is a huge issue that affects all battle-oriented aspects of gameplay, in a game that has been in development (pre-launch and live) for many years. It is therefore not something that can be summed up in one piece. There are many articles that address a number of balance matters, such as: http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2...w-powers-more/

I am hoping that this stream will offer more insights for you to build on for the next time! I have my own list of questions to help Keyens address the topic. Hope you'll tune in for it!
    Brasse

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7

Quote Originally Posted by Martimars View Post
    When is class changes coming to live?
    Totally legit question. It's on da list!

I'd love to hear Keyens and the team's views on Dominator. What do they like about Dom? What do they not like? Any specific changes planned for Dominator in 2017 that the team can share?
    Who is John Galt?

Id like to ask him How he plans to balance out Primalists - and Keyens what do you think about them being able to hit people in pvp for 90-100k+ hits attacks back to back vs very geared players and killing people in under 2 seconds? there is no amount of healing that can save you - and they are the plague of pvp right now being severly out of whack - its being very noticeable to people that pvp and there are quite a few primalists popping up because of this known broken situation. Id also like to know if there is any plans to reduce the tact healing slightly? ( and I'm not asking for the usuall -90% to healing or +1000% buff -there has to be a finetuning done with balancing not a complete destruction/overbuffing)
    Last edited by MakeClericsGreatAgain; 01-11-2017 at 09:36 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

A Live stream on Friday the 13th? should be a good time for all the Paraskevidekatriaphobics out there.

My question, what are the plans for Chloromancers and the decision to try and turn Chloromancer into a pure healing soul as opposed to what it always is, do healing by doing damage.

Rift Chaser

I would like to see answers or details about:
    1.) reflecting latest chloromancer changes on PTS, what we will gain on long term to make chloromancer attractive again and compensate WG and damage loss? When suppose healer balancing happen?

2.) When we can see some balance attempt at all? Especially PVP balance as stated above some soul can instagib peeps, and pvp feels too fast paced recently. Please increase TTK, as it was after 3.6 patch.

3.) When pts changes will hit live servers?

4.) Is he thinking about tactician nerf, or AOE healers should heal on tactician level?
    Last edited by Kokovap; 01-12-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Rift Master

Path of the Hurricane. Bring it back and if not, why not.
    Last edited by Balidin; 01-12-2017 at 04:09 AM.

DPS souls:
    - Iirc we will see a trend of moving away from full-blown AoE souls. If so, how will they fit into the current meta? How will a soul like champion be competitive with riftblade, and to a lesser extend tempest and reaver around?
    - Generally, will melee > range and single target > cleave DPS (still) be a goal? What about the difficulty of a spec? Will we see more complex specs/playstyles outparse simpler ones in the long term?
    - How are bursty specs balanced? Should they achieve similar DPS compared to a non-bursty spec over longer fights?
    - How does PvP factor into class balancing? Is the current balancing pass focused on PvE and bandaids will be applied to PvP'ers boo-boos as needed?

Healing souls:
    - Iirc one goal will be less playing yoyo with tank's hp. How can this be achieved across hopefully all classes. How are HPS/SPS and cooldowns balanced internally?
    - What about shielding? Will we continue to see Purifier the go-to pick for tank healing?
    - How do chloromancer and libchanter fit into all of that, given that they are able to both group and tank heal.
    - Is DPS normalization across healers a goal or will we continue to see differences like between liberator and chloro/warden?
    - How about the difficulty of a spec? Warchanter (with DB) imo is a lot harder to not mess up compared to other tank healers. Will we see differences in how harder specs perform in comparision?
    - How does PvP factor into class balancing? Is the current balancing pass focused on PvE and bandaids will be applied to PvP'ers boo-boos as needed? (Same question, different category)

Support souls:
    - Iirc Bard and Oracle are meant to be more defensive supports, will their DPS be comparable to each other, but lower than BM and Archon?
    - BM being a melee (pet) spec, will it outperform archon for that fact alone on a dummy? If so, will there be a reason to bring archon over BM unless the encounter or group setup requires an archon? If not, why ever bring a BM?
    - BM is currently way over the top with the pet focused legendary abilities. Is it an option to go back to the player being the majority of the DPS contribution?
    Last edited by dunkelst; 01-12-2017 at 06:51 AM.

I know a prim aoe heal spec is goin to come sometime, but till then, can we please get some more aoe heal abilities or just have the ones we currently got to be more effective?
    Serenity is more of a utility for deluge, and estuary... it is a real low heal which even gets reduces by each successful chain! Which makes it real undesirable. I'm still unable to heal through scarn >.>
    Something like physician alternative treatment would be nice.

Also, are you going to sometime give typhoon and some other bugs that are a lot of time existing since prim release? Like endless shards on tree is supposed to cast icy shards on enemy, may you cast a turmoil spender ability on an enemy after you reach full cunning or fury, it does not, and it's frustrating.

And by the end, any insight on when the new prim souls might hit in?
    Thanks

Telaran

is there any possibility to bring back Harbchon (Harbinger-Archon Hybrid)?
    current 61 Archon is just horrible to play.

I think you wouldnt even really need to nerf the damage because you need +100% buff on slashing attacks and +60% on cast time abilities to make 61 Harbinger even remotely viable.

Harbchon was the best support spec in my eyes, not only because of its damage output, but because of its flow in playing the spec. That flow comes purely from the Harbinger 1s GCD + Proc playstyle.

Even if it didnt do any damage, I'd still prefer it over 61 Archon.
    I know no one who likes to play mage support atm whereas there were plenty when Harbchon was still a thing.
    Last edited by Nazuki; 01-12-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast