+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Connectivity issues today - it's not you, it's not us.

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default Connectivity issues today - it's not you, it's not us.

Hello, friends! We know that some of you are experiencing connectivity issues. We wish we could help more but the problem lies with DDOS attacks going on between you and us (they are not happening on our sservers).
    Hang in there!
    ~Brasse

Followup: Google DDOS, Dyn and DNS today and you can read up on the latest, just like we are.
    Seriously bad people out there.

Rift Disciple

I'm in Colorado, and I've had zero problem with the DDOS attack/ dns resolution with any other app, website or game. I'm not saying you're wrong that the DDOS attack is what's causing this, but it does make me wonder how. The news is saying the attack is focused on the East coast, and aside from Rift that seems true from my perspective.

My symptoms:
    • Launch patcher
    • Sign in (this always succeeds)
    • Hang (patcher shows UPDATE, dropdowns are unavailable)

I'm guessing your login server is accessed a different way (ip address, for example) vs. your patch servers (dns)?
    Last edited by Lakshmi; 10-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Well you have the option of a public source, I just used one of those not on the list and can get in fine. Most google searches bring up there own DNS servers, so people are probably trying that.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Shioban; 11-06-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
    I'm in Colorado, and I've had zero problem with the DDOS attack/ dns resolution with any other app, website or game. I'm not saying you're wrong that the DDOS attack is what's causing this, but it does make me wonder how. The news is saying the attack is focused on the East coast, and aside from Rift that seems true from my perspective.

My symptoms:
    • Launch patcher
    • Sign in (this always succeeds)
    • Hang (patcher shows UPDATE, dropdowns are unavailable)

I'm guessing your login server is accessed a different way (ip address, for example) vs. your patch servers (dns)?
    This is the exact problem I'm having. Glyph wants me to update but clicking update won't work and drop down boxes are unavailable.

Same symptoms here. I am thinking the "update" button shows until glyph gets a response on what version is current. I often see the button appear to flash from update to play quickly under normal circumstances.

But glyph is totally unresponsive as things sit now. I have to force it closed through Windows, and windows tells me the program is waiting for a response from me, but there is no dialog to respond to showing.

I uninstalled, about an hour later I was able to reinstall the game. Working fine for me now.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

So the basic problem here is along the lines of this. Your computer sends a name to a DNS (Domain Name System) server who takes the name that it is given and converts it into an ip address. Right now when you try to access glyph, you are not getting a response from the DNS that is being requested. Dyn is definitely a target, and Im thinking google is having issues also. If you want to play right now, you need to change your DNS servers until this denial of service attack is over. If you aren't computer savvy, i wouldn't reccomend it.

Easy there I know it sucks, a quick google search where you google "how to change DNS servers {operating system name]" will get you what you need, its different and you have no reason to access your router. Again, this probably won't last a long time, and you can screw something up, so don't blame us.

Oh and like I mentioned earlier, googles dns weren't working for me, instead of there numbers use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 10-23-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Dyn is the DNS service being attacked. Many websites including Twitter, Paypal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Trion (Glyph download and game login only), are all down due to using Dyn as their DNS service. Dyn is currently working to resolve this problem but it will take time due to the nature of this attack.

I think it is sad to see DDOS attacks after all the problems they caused gaming companies in the past couple of years (Sony anyone?). You would think that there would be a system in place to combat the issue. One day it could be an essential service that is taken down and many lives could be at risk.

Devs can you plz just post some IP addresses so we can use hosts file as a temporary fix

Soulwalker

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Goddessdavida View Post
    Same symptoms here. I am thinking the "update" button shows until glyph gets a response on what version is current. I often see the button appear to flash from update to play quickly under normal circumstances.

But glyph is totally unresponsive as things sit now. I have to force it closed through Windows, and windows tells me the program is waiting for a response from me, but there is no dialog to respond to showing.
    Exact same problem I am having.

Boy

Default OMG I deleted Glyph

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello, friends! We know that some of you are experiencing connectivity issues. We wish we could help more but the problem lies with DDOS attacks going on between you and us (they are not happening on our sservers).
    Hang in there!
    ~Brasse

Followup: Google DDOS, Dyn and DNS today and you can read up on the latest, just like we are.
    Seriously bad people out there.
    Well, Dammit Jim! I deleted Glyph & thought I'd reinstall it, Before I read this. Now I can't reinstall it

This site canít be reached

glyph.dyn.triongames.comís server DNS address could not be found.
    Try:
    Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Default Rift/Glyph not broken or Trion's fault (this time)

here's a link on the ongoing attack: http://thehackernews.com/2016/10/dyn-dns-ddos.html - I was using Google dns 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. Went back to OpenDNS, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on all devices (modem, routers, servers and individual MS Win systems) and all is now well. Many sites were affected, as mentioned before. Note: wish Rift would go back to the way it was and not have to load Glyph ... just sayin'
    Last edited by OldeThom; 10-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Well if you're bored, you can watch the problem in real time, for some giggles:
    https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/

Currently glyph locks/stops responding once it logs me in, if I happen to find a fix or work around that doesn't require messing with DNS, I'll be posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast