+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
Like Tree30Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Connectivity issues today - it's not you, it's not us.

  1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    422

    Default Connectivity issues today - it's not you, it's not us.

    Hello, friends! We know that some of you are experiencing connectivity issues. We wish we could help more but the problem lies with DDOS attacks going on between you and us (they are not happening on our sservers).
    Hang in there!
    ~Brasse


    Followup: Google DDOS, Dyn and DNS today and you can read up on the latest, just like we are.
    Seriously bad people out there.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I'm in Colorado, and I've had zero problem with the DDOS attack/ dns resolution with any other app, website or game. I'm not saying you're wrong that the DDOS attack is what's causing this, but it does make me wonder how. The news is saying the attack is focused on the East coast, and aside from Rift that seems true from my perspective.

    My symptoms:
    • Launch patcher
    • Sign in (this always succeeds)
    • Hang (patcher shows UPDATE, dropdowns are unavailable)

    I'm guessing your login server is accessed a different way (ip address, for example) vs. your patch servers (dns)?
    Last edited by Lakshmi; 10-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Alandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Well you have the option of a public source, I just used one of those not on the list and can get in fine. Most google searches bring up there own DNS servers, so people are probably trying that.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Shioban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Shioban; 11-06-2016 at 10:05 AM.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
    I'm in Colorado, and I've had zero problem with the DDOS attack/ dns resolution with any other app, website or game. I'm not saying you're wrong that the DDOS attack is what's causing this, but it does make me wonder how. The news is saying the attack is focused on the East coast, and aside from Rift that seems true from my perspective.

    My symptoms:
    • Launch patcher
    • Sign in (this always succeeds)
    • Hang (patcher shows UPDATE, dropdowns are unavailable)

    I'm guessing your login server is accessed a different way (ip address, for example) vs. your patch servers (dns)?
    This is the exact problem I'm having. Glyph wants me to update but clicking update won't work and drop down boxes are unavailable.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Goddessdavida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Same symptoms here. I am thinking the "update" button shows until glyph gets a response on what version is current. I often see the button appear to flash from update to play quickly under normal circumstances.

    But glyph is totally unresponsive as things sit now. I have to force it closed through Windows, and windows tells me the program is waiting for a response from me, but there is no dialog to respond to showing.

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara Spungey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I uninstalled, about an hour later I was able to reinstall the game. Working fine for me now.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

    (Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Alandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    So the basic problem here is along the lines of this. Your computer sends a name to a DNS (Domain Name System) server who takes the name that it is given and converts it into an ip address. Right now when you try to access glyph, you are not getting a response from the DNS that is being requested. Dyn is definitely a target, and Im thinking google is having issues also. If you want to play right now, you need to change your DNS servers until this denial of service attack is over. If you aren't computer savvy, i wouldn't reccomend it.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Alandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Easy there I know it sucks, a quick google search where you google "how to change DNS servers {operating system name]" will get you what you need, its different and you have no reason to access your router. Again, this probably won't last a long time, and you can screw something up, so don't blame us.

    Oh and like I mentioned earlier, googles dns weren't working for me, instead of there numbers use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 10-23-2016 at 10:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Dyn is the DNS service being attacked. Many websites including Twitter, Paypal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Trion (Glyph download and game login only), are all down due to using Dyn as their DNS service. Dyn is currently working to resolve this problem but it will take time due to the nature of this attack.

    I think it is sad to see DDOS attacks after all the problems they caused gaming companies in the past couple of years (Sony anyone?). You would think that there would be a system in place to combat the issue. One day it could be an essential service that is taken down and many lives could be at risk.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Maril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Devs can you plz just post some IP addresses so we can use hosts file as a temporary fix

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Goddessdavida View Post
    Same symptoms here. I am thinking the "update" button shows until glyph gets a response on what version is current. I often see the button appear to flash from update to play quickly under normal circumstances.

    But glyph is totally unresponsive as things sit now. I have to force it closed through Windows, and windows tells me the program is waiting for a response from me, but there is no dialog to respond to showing.
    Exact same problem I am having.

  13. #13
    Boy
    Boy is offline
    Soulwalker Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default OMG I deleted Glyph

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello, friends! We know that some of you are experiencing connectivity issues. We wish we could help more but the problem lies with DDOS attacks going on between you and us (they are not happening on our sservers).
    Hang in there!
    ~Brasse


    Followup: Google DDOS, Dyn and DNS today and you can read up on the latest, just like we are.
    Seriously bad people out there.
    Well, Dammit Jim! I deleted Glyph & thought I'd reinstall it, Before I read this. Now I can't reinstall it

    This site canít be reached

    glyph.dyn.triongames.comís server DNS address could not be found.
    Try:
    Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED


  14. #14
    Rift Disciple OldeThom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default Rift/Glyph not broken or Trion's fault (this time)

    here's a link on the ongoing attack: http://thehackernews.com/2016/10/dyn-dns-ddos.html - I was using Google dns 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. Went back to OpenDNS, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on all devices (modem, routers, servers and individual MS Win systems) and all is now well. Many sites were affected, as mentioned before. Note: wish Rift would go back to the way it was and not have to load Glyph ... just sayin'
    Last edited by OldeThom; 10-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.

  15. #15
    Champion of Telara Shinkirou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Well if you're bored, you can watch the problem in real time, for some giggles:
    https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/

    Currently glyph locks/stops responding once it logs me in, if I happen to find a fix or work around that doesn't require messing with DNS, I'll be posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts