+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Starfall Prophecy: Eternal Items, New Powers & More

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Starfall Prophecy: Eternal Items, New Powers & More

RIFT’s Lead Systems Designer, Andy “Vladd” Kirton, lets fly with information on all the ways you can become more powerful in our upcoming expansion, Starfall Prophecy!

Greetings Ascended,

With Starfall Prophecy on the horizon, I thought I would take a bit of time for a high level overview of some of the new features the RIFT Systems Team is working on. We’ll go into each one more as we get closer to the expansion, but this introduction will hopefully give you a good idea of what each feature is and how it will impact your experience in Telara.

Active Upgrades:
    If you boil down upgrades to their core concept, Item Upgrades are quests to make your gear more powerful. In order to upgrade your gear to its maximum potential, you’ll need to procure the required ingredients one way or another. Our goal with Active Upgrades is to embrace that they are quests, while providing exciting thematic experiences and flavor. As an example, and this is by no means going to be an item, if we wanted you to upgrade your mace from Tenebrian Maul to say, “Drathgar, Maul of Undead Slaying” you would need to kill a certain amount of undead with it along with meeting other requirements.

There are a ton of ways that we can use this new system to make your items more a part of your character’s personal story. I’m pretty excited about the possibilities it gives us.

Eternal Items:
    With Starfall Prophecy, we are adding a new item rarity: Eternal. Forged by god-like beings from the cosmos, these are artifact tier items in both rarity and power. While some of these artifacts will be found with their Eternal rarity already unlocked, others might need to be upgraded through active upgrades to unleash their full potential.

It’s important to note here no one should expect to wear full suits of Eternal quality items - Eternal Items are much more rare than that! You might have one piece, maybe two if you’re exceptionally diligent and fortuitous. Slots covered will be based on the calling, but because of the powers that each Eternal Item embodies, they will be calling restricted. This allows for more custom tailoring of passive or active effects. Another important note: we are throwing our normal concepts of item balance out the window - that’s how powerful Eternal items are!

Planar Fragments:
    One of the things that we’ve been trying to address over the past few major updates is reducing/removing the need for different sets of gear based on your role. For instance, with Mind of Madness, we removed the option for any gear to drop as tank specific, and instead provided sidegrade paths for all DPS drops to change into tank gear. This certainly helped with dealing with the challenge of players who Tank and DPS in obtaining their desired role gear, but it still wasn’t the complete solution that we were looking for. Planar Fragments are a much bigger step towards that solution.

Generally, gear being for a Tank or DPS is determined by the amount of endurance on it along with tertiary stats such as Dodge and Crit Power. With Starfall, gear will no longer drop with tertiary stats attached to them - Planar Fragments give you the ability to customize your stats the way you like! The fragments will have their own tab in the Character UI where you slot in the fragments with the stats of your choice. Similar to the wardrobe system, there will also be saved sets that you can swap on command. In other words, you can keep the same set of gear equipped but change between Tank and DPS stats by swapping out your Planar Fragment equipped set. This can be done via the UI or through a command in the chat window. This will make an amazing difference for folks that have been maintaining multiple armor sets. We also have some changes coming for runes and dream orbs to help out with this, but I’ll save that information for later.

You’ll gain Planar Fragments from throughout Telara; you might find them in dungeons, get them through crafting, see rare examples as world loot, or obtain them in PVP, LFR and raids. By default, Planar Fragments are bound to your account, so that if you get an awesome fragment for your Warrior alt, you can mail it to yourself. Each character will maintain their own individual inventory, though. Speaking of inventory, Fragments will have their own separate inventory similar to Quest Items so that we don’t take up your normal bag space. If your Fragment inventory fills up, it will overflow to your regular inventory.

Legendary Powers:
    Legendary Powers are how your character increases in power and flexibility, in addition to just gaining more stats per level as you work toward the new level cap of 70. Each level past 65 will award a Legendary point which can be spent to unlock a Legendary Power. You’ll be limited to a maximum of 3 Legendary points spent per soul and only if you have more than 44 Talent points invested in said soul. With 0 to 14 Talent points invested, you can spend 1 Legendary point and 15 – 43 Talent points invested allows you to spend 2. As for which abilities will be targeted for Legendary upgrades, we can say for sure that each soul will have the 61 point, the 41 point, and one of the 0 point abilities will have options as well. There also will be a sub-15 option, but that wildly varies from soul to soul.

Our goal with Legendary Powers is to change up how your character plays, based upon the powers purchased. For instance, an ability that is normally a 6 second channel that doesn’t allow movement might become a 3 second channel with double the ticks, allowing movement, and also applies all of a certain type of buff to you instead of needing to individually cast each one.

Another interesting twist to Legendary Powers is that the 0 point Legendary is not designed to be taken by anyone that will invest more than 15 talent points in a given soul, but to appeal to more off-soul choices than what is supplied by just the talent point investments. An example is Legendary Flame Bolt, where it increases the damage of your next non-fire damaging ability by 20%. Clearly this is of no benefit to the Pyromancer as all of their damage is fire-based, but for an Elementalist or even Warlock, that’s awfully tempting!

So, as you can see, we have a lot coming down the pipe for Starfall Prophecy and I still haven’t talked about Looking for Raid or Personal Loot yet! I’m super excited about all of these systems and how they will change Telara. I can’t wait to see the imaginative ways you’ll put them to use!

-Vladd

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    You’ll gain Planar Fragments from throughout Telara; you might find them in dungeons, get them through crafting, see rare examples as world loot, or obtain them in PVP, LFR and raids.
    But will all content provide equal rewards so that way I'm not stuck doing content I don't enjoy for another expansion? If I choose to only grind PvP, will my grind towards better gear be equal to someone who spends their time doing world content, raiding or a bit of it all?

Further more, is there going to be a cap on these Fragments and how many you can obtain per week?

Also can we please remove PW:W and add earring slots to the expansion purchase.
    Last edited by McChaffe; 08-25-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    Kaleshnikove@Faeblight [Bounty]: Retired
    RIFT ON REDDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/

Thanks for all the information Vladd. I appreciate all the effort you're putting into thinking outside of the box on these things.

I hope the secondary stat thing works well and doesn't, as McChaffee fears, forces you to do content you don't want to do. If it's a completely random quality or whatnot that would be good. OR, if they scale with gear quality like orbs.
    Hepatitis@Greybriar
    Rift Raids
    Mistakes Were Made
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Plane Walker

Will Eternal Items be better than end tier raid drops?
    How are Eternal Items obtained? Are they tradeable or BOP?

Do raid drops have Active upgrades? If so, it means raiders have to do world content to get their raid drops upgraded?!

I don't like how BiS gears are shifting from raiding to world content, more raiding guilds will die if that happens.

Being a casual player I haven't really cared about gear in a long time. I don't care for dungeon crawling and I don't raid. However this actually excites me. My husband has for a long time complained about having to have so many sets of gear in his bags. This sounds amazing for him. I also like that I can upgrade my gear by questing. I LOVE questing. I don't need raid gear but I would like to be able to upgrade through quests say like when a new zone comes out. PTW is awful for me I cant upgrade my gear because i am casual and the mobs are just to powerful for me. Would have been really nice to have a way when it came out to upgrade to the zone. Hopefully this new style will help not just raiders but casual players as well. It sure seems like it will

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by McChaffe View Post
    Also can we please remove PW:W and add earring slots to the expansion purchase.
    Calling it now, Eternal Items will be Earring Slot exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aayden View Post
    Calling it now, Eternal Items will be Earring Slot exclusive.
    Better get to collecting 50k void stones then, you have ~ 10-11 weeks.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Better get to collecting 50k void stones then, you have ~ 10-11 weeks.
    Too bad void stones probably won't be used in 4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by McChaffe View Post
    But will all content provide equal rewards so that way I'm not stuck doing content I don't enjoy for another expansion? If I choose to only grind PvP, will my grind towards better gear be equal to someone who spends their time doing world content, raiding or a bit of it all?

Further more, is there going to be a cap on these Fragments and how many you can obtain per week?
    Goes beyond just the Planar Fragments though - same goes for those Active Upgrades as well. Will there be a somewhat viable/equivocal path for those PvP...or...is PvP going to be relegated to Minion Warfare at some point?
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

shp
    Champion

Unless there's some p2w scheme behind the scenes, I must say, it sounds promising.

Interesting changes coming, could be a positive change for the game. Do have some concerns though. The first one being will there be some kind of cash charge directly or indirectly attached to these features? We already have enough problems with items being tied to the shop, even cute little Opie has this problem. It'd be really nice to have parts of the game not being tied to the shop.

The next one being grind times on Active Upgrades. I'm assuming that if we want better gear that we're going to have to work harder for it, which is fine. What I'm worried about is seeing requirements similar to "40 runs through one of our two dungeons, 50 Cleric kills in Black Garden, 20 life Rifts closed in Goboro, 100k VS, and 15 transcendent dream orbs" and it's just some blue that dropped off a mob in a zone event.

Planar Fragments seem interesting and all but I'm curious why we need another gear slot when there are so many stat sticks in the game we could be replacing. Planar Fragments could just be the new synergy crystals or even just place them in our planar focus. Could just be that I'm not grasping the system well but it really does sound as if it could just take place of one of our stat sticks.

Legendary Powers are sounding a lot like masteries 2.0. They're being marketed as these abilities that will encourage hybrid builds but from what we know right now they're just going to change which sub souls we might take instead of the usual ones we take. 5 points in total, only 3 in one tree at max. So we'll be going 61-3/x-1/x-1. Which is cool to have more sub souls open up but what are the chances that we'll be seeing more 38/38/0 builds?
    Last edited by Necalli; 08-25-2016 at 10:46 PM.

They've got that image on the SFP site showing an example of an Active Upgrade...

Though the icons are likely placeholders.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    They've got that image on the SFP site showing an example of an Active Upgrade...

Though the icons are likely placeholders.
    Looking at that picture, it looks like PvE'ers have to win more warfronts than completing NTE's.............

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zojah View Post
    Looking at that picture, it looks like PvE'ers have to win more warfronts than completing NTE's.............
    So it's more of the old "we want you to do things you do not want to do" stuff? And since I do not PvP in tab-target games, does this mean I would be totally cut off from any upgrade path? No PvE-only path (which I'm fine with when it is slower), just a "do PvP or bust"?

This is underwhelming to say the least.

Guys, it's just one image they have on the site as an example. Who knows what all the various different Active Upgrades will involve for the gear that can be upgraded that way....
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast