+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Leveling up the Tech in RIFT

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    It's going to be for everyone.
    Gonna be from every one initially, or forever? Because APPARENTLY that's not a thing that goes for granted anymore...
    Last edited by Repster; 02-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Gonna be from every one initially, or forever? Because APPARENTLY that's not a thing that goes for granted anymore...
    Guess it comes down to is it needed or is it convenience. If determined to be convenience then it may cost credits. I don't know. Getting fed up with all this extra charging of things.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #48

Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    One last question if that's okay? Do you maintain a project office to maintain documentation, prepare test plans, version control, monitor risks and issues and to help to revise plans and schedules where necessary? Or is this again done within the teams.

Sorry to be so nosey but I love trying to see parallels between very different industries and their use of project management.

Thanks again
    We do use version control software, mainly for two purposes: it allows multiple people work on the same files at the same time and it allows us to have multiple branches such as we can have a feature on PTS but not on live. We tend to use this same version control for our design documents. For the individual tasks, bugs, and test requests we use JIRA, each game is it's own "project" and maintained separately: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

JIRA also offers us Confluence, it's a wiki system that we tend to use for less formal information such as the lore of the game.

Very interesting to hear about how things are going behind the scenes.

My first question is "Will the move to Multi-thread support and 64-bit application fix (either truly fix or hide) the memory leak and crashing when zoning often issues?" As I understand it, 32-bit apps can only utilize 4GB (maybe 8?) of ram where 64-bit ones can utilize 128GBs.

Second, Is the lag spikes and ability lag issues due to the processes on one core being overloaded and the instructions being delayed due to overload of the thread? I would assume the move to multi-threading would alleviate this issue, though confirmation would be better.

Look forward to the needed updates!

As a side note: The dev responses in this thread are amazing. I haven't seen this much back and forth since Beta. I believe this is what the community is looking for when asking for dev interaction. It is very refreshing; please keep it coming!

Edit: Added questions and accolades.
    Last edited by Hellshiver; 02-07-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added questions and accolades.
    Llamalove - 70 Cleric
    Fusepopper - 65 Mage
    Sionon - R40(P7) Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PFalcon View Post
    It's an axe. It's a warrior. This isn't that hard to get right. Axe---->Face---->Ouch. Do it.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #50

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshiver View Post

As a side note: The dev responses in this thread are amazing. I haven't seen this much back and forth since Beta. I believe this is what the community is looking for when asking for dev interaction.
    I completely agree! We don't come into work thinking "you know what I'm going to ignore the community today", really it's often just doing the actual work is what gets in the way. The engineers are busy coding and the designers are busy making content. Also this has been a very constructive thread and that sort of dialog makes it much easier to discuss things with players.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    We do use version control software, mainly for two purposes: it allows multiple people work on the same files at the same time and it allows us to have multiple branches such as we can have a feature on PTS but not on live. We tend to use this same version control for our design documents. For the individual tasks, bugs, and test requests we use JIRA, each game is it's own "project" and maintained separately: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

JIRA also offers us Confluence, it's a wiki system that we tend to use for less formal information such as the lore of the game.
    We use Confluence at our work too and it does the job

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #52
    Rift Team

Multicore will primarily help with framerate and give your GPU a chance to do more work.
    64-bit will help with reducing crashes. Remember though 64 bit is still a ways off though.

Generally speaking the "ability lag" problem is server side. It's a difficult problem to track down and one we continue to look into.

I'm glad you're enjoying the involvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshiver View Post

My first question is "Will the move to Multi-thread support and 64-bit application fix (either truly fix or hide) the memory leak and crashing when zoning often issues?" As I understand it, 32-bit apps can only utilize 4GB (maybe 8?) of ram where 64-bit ones can utilize 128GBs.

Second, Is the lag spikes and ability lag issues due to the processes on one core being overloaded and the instructions being delayed due to overload of the thread? I would assume the move to multi-threading would alleviate this issue, though confirmation would be better.

As a side note: The dev responses in this thread are amazing. I haven't seen this much back and forth since Beta. I believe this is what the community is looking for when asking for dev interaction. It is very refreshing; please keep it coming!

Edit: Added questions and accolades.
    Last edited by Snedhepl; 02-08-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    Multicore will primarily help with framerate and give your GPU a chance to do more work.
    64-bit will help with reducing crashes. Remember though 64 bit is still a ways off though.

Generally speaking the "ability lag" problem is server side. It's a difficult problem to track down and one we continue to look into.

I'm glad you're enjoying the involvement!
    The number of Dev responses in this thread are awesome

Whilst we're on about improving Tech, this may be deemed slightly off topic...

Are there any plans on improving support for SLi? Even if it's just correcting the shadows issue?
    Last edited by Zojah; 02-08-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Used both JIRA and Confluence - hell, I maintained our last corporate wiki in Confluence (practically lived in it).

(Documentation geek FTW.)

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #55

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post

(Documentation geek FTW.)
    Same here!

Same here!
    I don't suppose you need another documentation geek down at Trion? Visio goddess? Lore fanatic? Anything?

(I'm job searching at the moment so what the hell, I have nothing to lose by asking...)

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #57
    Rift Team

Generally we give SLI attention when we have a solid repro case. As there's different set ups it can be hard to track down (varying hardware, drivers, etc). Not all SLI has issues either: for instance my SLI at home works just fine.

In the near term we're not going to worry about SLI until multi-core support is out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Qosmo View Post
    The number of Dev responses in this thread are awesome

Whilst we're on about improving Tech, this may be deemed slightly off topic...

Are there any plans on improving support for SLi? Even if it's just correcting the shadows issue?

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #58

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    I don't suppose you need another documentation geek down at Trion? Visio goddess? Lore fanatic? Anything?

(I'm job searching at the moment so what the hell, I have nothing to lose by asking...)
    All openings are listed on the website! http://www.trionworlds.com/en/careers/ Good luck with your search!

Hey thanks for the reply, Its good to see that there are actual products that can be used for corporate style version control.

As I work in the public sector we tend to have to do everything in house, so pretty much use our own version control systems, linking documents to master libraries with open and closed components. And Excel...oh god....so much excel....

Rest are all in house designed items which though they work very well for us would be unhelpful outside the organisation.

Thanks to the devs for the responses here, its very encouraging!

Last question from me: Do you use dedicated communications management software or again is it simply done with task lists, work packages and deadline management within the teams? Again me just being nosey!

Cheers

All openings are listed on the website! http://www.trionworlds.com/en/careers/ Good luck with your search!

re: the Community Manager-Atlas Reactor position -my favorite paragraph:

Maintain an excellent level of zen in the face of massive nuclear meltdowns. Not that this ever, ever happens, especially not at 4:00 A.M. Your panic state looks like other people’s Saturday afternoon, because you are mentally prepared to tackle anything the gaming world throws your way.

Nice trader mentality.
    Last edited by Dizbo; 02-08-2016 at 04:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast