+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Leveling up the Tech in RIFT

Shield of Telara

Why only on PTS? ;)
    Sounds more like live testing to me - we know how that went the last couple of months.

Excellent communication and lots of lovely detail!!!

Thank you Snedhelp (and Ocho) for getting this info out to us as soon as you were able - I think that's really important at present!

Can't wait to see the multicore support in action and have a couple of questions:

1. you were talking about the blocks of time you are assigning, so from a pure project management perspective just how insane looking are your project documents at present, I am thinking your gantt charts will be enormously long and hundreds of work packages will be flying around faster than a speeding car (to borrow your analogy Snedhelp ).

2. Have you got plans to ask players to submit DXDiag files to you so you can build a wide pool of variable system setups? May need a splash announcement on forums front page to explain this for less technical players?

3. You mentioned that at present your making the changes with DX9 in mind, though could lead to later dx11/12 support, is this because you need to use a lowest common denominator approach so players with no multicore CPU's or older GFX cards are still able to play?

Many thanks, looking forward to the livestream tonight!

Prophet of Telara

To be honest this is the only good thing I can see for the game of late, and even then it's been promised and talked about off and on since the game released so you'll forgive me if I believe it only when I see it for myself. I watch with interest.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

I would be interested to learn is this done in house with the existing Engine or have you guys finally gotten hands on the latest Gamebryo 64-bit, DirectX 12 compatible build as described by the new owners of the Engine here:

http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

Thank you for the letter.

I have one question about the multi-core bit. Will that have an impact on how RIFT deals with mjulti-threading? I have found that blocking it in the BIOS improves my FPS greatly in RIFT, but of course it's a pain if I use any other game. Can I expect that using the i7 in i7 mode instead of i5 mode will be at least as good, or maybe even better?
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I would be interested to learn is this done in house with the existing Engine or have you guys finally gotten hands on the latest Gamebryo 64-bit, DirectX 12 compatible build as described by the new owners of the Engine here:

I think it's been done in-house:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    It's still DX9 actually. Which makes the feat more impressive in my opinion. While we have no formal plans for DX11 or 12 support yet, the work we did here would be required if we were to choose to go down that path.
    They already said it took 18+ months of work to accomplish this feat, and I don't know if rewriting the art assets to support a newer version of the engine would take that long...
    Last edited by Electrah; 02-05-2016 at 04:02 AM. Reason: The quote didn't work properly
    Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

Fia

Afaik, 2-3 years ago, I think it was mentioned that they modified most of the game-engine code to suit Rifts needs. So in that regard, simply taking the newest Gamebryo-engine won't do much good.

Then again who knows, maybe they did. :P
    Last edited by Fia; 02-05-2016 at 04:56 AM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #23
    Rift Team

"Being DX9 still is pretty disappointing as it's near impossible to actually get "true multi-core support" from it" DX9 requires the CPU to do quite a bit of work. So it's actually a very good candidate for multicore support.

"Every core?" Yep! Every core. Obviously you'll start to see diminishing returns the more cores there are

"Also what about hyper-threading?" Hyper-threading is essentially (but not precisely) just another core. So yes it takes advantage of hyper-threading. The developer working on this upgrade has a 6 core processor with hyper-threading.

"is there currently significantly more crashes when using more than 3 cores in Rift?" Not that I'm aware of, but this is why we're testing it

Quote Originally Posted by Riseofseren View Post
    Being DX9 still is pretty disappointing as it's near impossible to actually get "true multi-core support" from it... But my mind is open I guess.

Every core? So... does this include people who have 8 core CPUs like myself or those running server CPUs? Also what about hyper-threading?

I know most game engines struggle to get more than 3 cores working without crashes, is there currently significantly more crashes when using more than 3 cores in Rift?

Most optimized game I've played that uses DX9 has to be Blades of Time, wasn't 100% sure about CPU usage but I never dipped below 120fps (capped, max graphics) on my 8320 and the graphics were pretty awesome too.

DX9 requires the CPU to do quite a bit of work. So it's actually a very good candidate for multicore support.
    I guess this means Rift will still be primarily CPU-limited. What about the GPU? Are there plans for increasing efficiency by offloading more work to the GPU after the multicore change has proven stable and working as intended, to improve performance even more especially for those with high-end graphics cards?

<--- this is me being very excited about multicore / 64-bit btw :P
    Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #25
    Rift Team

1. Project documents: I can't speak for the team as a whole, as I handle the management for my team of people. I do my best to keep it sane.

2. We have a variety of machines set up for testing. It's by no means exhaustive (which is essentially impossible) but it does handle things well. This is the sort of testing that very quickly hits the point of diminishing returns.

3. We have a lot of people on older machines, it's the nature of any mature MMO. I can't share exact figures but there are quite a bit of folks who couldn't support DX11 yet alone DX12 (which also requires Windows 10)

Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    Excellent communication and lots of lovely detail!!!

Thank you Snedhelp (and Ocho) for getting this info out to us as soon as you were able - I think that's really important at present!

Can't wait to see the multicore support in action and have a couple of questions:

1. you were talking about the blocks of time you are assigning, so from a pure project management perspective just how insane looking are your project documents at present, I am thinking your gantt charts will be enormously long and hundreds of work packages will be flying around faster than a speeding car (to borrow your analogy Snedhelp ).

2. Have you got plans to ask players to submit DXDiag files to you so you can build a wide pool of variable system setups? May need a splash announcement on forums front page to explain this for less technical players?

3. You mentioned that at present your making the changes with DX9 in mind, though could lead to later dx11/12 support, is this because you need to use a lowest common denominator approach so players with no multicore CPU's or older GFX cards are still able to play?

Many thanks, looking forward to the livestream tonight!

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #26
    Rift Team

It's in house. As another person mentioned we have heavily modified the Gamebryo engine to the point where simply upgrading would be more work than doing it ourselves.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #27
    Rift Team

Currently Rift is bottle-necked by the CPU. The change to multi-core will "widen" that bottleneck significantly. The goal of this change is to ensure that, in practice, Rift will no longer be CPU-limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Moyah View Post
    I guess this means Rift will still be primarily CPU-limited. What about the GPU? Are there plans for increasing efficiency by offloading more work to the GPU after the multicore change has proven stable and working as intended, to improve performance even more especially for those with high-end graphics cards?

<--- this is me being very excited about multicore / 64-bit btw :P

3. We have a lot of people on older machines, it's the nature of any mature MMO. I can't share exact figures but there are quite a bit of folks who couldn't support DX11 yet alone DX12 (which also requires Windows 10)
    I have a question about this part what about Vulkan API with Rift I know it's not out yet but does give option for people even on older OS if does come to play even mac or linux. Or is it Rift engine so locked in to DirectX?
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-05-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Soulwalker

It's still DX9 actually. Which makes the feat more impressive in my opinion. While we have no formal plans for DX11 or 12 support yet, the work we did here would be required if we were to choose to go down that path.
    so you are taking out dated technology and "making it better"? (instead of using newer technology like DX11)

Very exciting to think about running smooth 20 man raids, and maybe being able to turn my graphics up on my quad core machine. Very exciting indeed. Thanks for all the hard work!

The performance issues are one of the main things that disappoint me when it comes to rift, I think it's safe to say that many people left/avoid the game because of it.

If this upgrade is successful, I look forward to the possibility of more rift players in the future as the game is beautiful when taking advantage of the better graphics settings.
    Wolf@Hailol - Wolfbones@Hailol - Lunawolf@Hailol - Primalwolf@Hailol - Blazenwolf@Hailol
    <Wolf Pack>

Wolfsoul@Vigil <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast