+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree1656Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Last Chance to Get Earring Slot Unlocks and Planewalker: Water with Voidstones!

This has been by far one of the quickest threads to blow up on the forums in a long time. My question to the devs, has the F2P model truly brought in such low revenue that you cannot afford to sustain it? Also, I strongly think it would have been in the games best interest if you guys had released the state of the game letter first before announcing this. Right now no one really knows what is coming down the pipe for new content except for four new primalist souls.

Not happy at all about this. Not for me, like many others i have these unlocked, but for those saving up and for new players. These slots give a significant amount of stats that you can't really just ignore. The amount of credits charged seems steep. Blimey!
    Last edited by Hammon; 01-26-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    Thoya - Gelidra
    Former Sagespire and Blightweald resident

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnastashia View Post
    I have like 1 1/2 years still left on my patron account. I bought a year in December when they had the sale. Little did I know this was coming. I'm like you, I have red tier loyalty all out of my own pocket, and up to now, hadn't regretted spending all that money. The amount of disappointment I feel about Trion doing this is greater than I can really express.

Some people might think the price for the earring slots is not that much, and I would agree, it's not that much.. but it's the going back on their word of not putting gear behind an actual pay wall that gets me. For a new player who is f2p, the amount to get the REX will seem probably too hard to get, and they will either have to pay up to get the slots open, or fall behind in progression. I'm not saying getting 100,000 void stones is a walk in the park.. it's not.. but at least it was more dependable for f2p players than hoping to somehow get enough plat to buy a Rex.. actually, they will have to buy 2 REXs because each REX is 1250 credits, and to unlock the earring slots you need 2250 credits. So, um.. yeah, I feel bad for them.

Also, it would have been nice had Trion let people know about this change back when they were having 1/2 sales on the Nightmare Tide packages. I believe the Typhoon edition was only like 12.00 dollars. People would have been able to make a "well informed choice" about buying that package, the other higher priced ones.
    Just noticed that the above poster is correct - one rex will not be sufficient, they will in fact need 2 rex and at current prices that 4.8k plat in US and 6.6k plat in EU...that's not achievable on a new player account - this would force them to have to make a physical payment transaction to get these gear slots, there will be a number of current new players who will not be able to do this - they may be on very tight budgets or not have access to credit card etc.

Feel really upset that new players are being penalised in this way, it seems incredibly unjust and out of the blue.

Lets hope that the constructive feedback from the player community is listened to and a compromise can be reached as this is already having a very negative impact on some guilds.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    This has been by far one of the quickest threads to blow up on the forums in a long time. My question to the devs, has the F2P model truly brought in such low revenue that you cannot afford to sustain it? Also, I strongly think it would have been in the games best interest if you guys had released the state of the game letter first before announcing this. Right now no one really knows what is coming down the pipe for new content except for four new primalist souls.
    God, that's true.. Sometimes timing is everything, and whereas I was so excited about seeing the State of the Game letter, I could really care less now. I wonder if the State of the Game letter will address this new change in it? Maybe they will try and soft sell this decision, and make it seem like a great idea. Personally, I don't think there is a way to make their decision about making the earring slots a credit only option into something "wonderful or positive," but I guess we'll have to wait to see the letter to see if they decide to talk about this latest decision as a means to do damage control or not. (I had to find someway to weave the current topic into this post least I get banned for my comments being non productive.. like I was on a different account )
    Last edited by Ahnastashia; 01-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Ultimately this is a business decision, to best support RIFT moving forward into the future. We're on the cusp right now of RIFT's 5th Anniversary, and we've got great stuff planned for 2016. But that stuff takes Engineers and Designers and CS and QA and a whole lot of other folks.

Having a large team producing amazing things is a benefit to everyone who loves RIFT, both those making it and those who play it. But making games like RIFT is expensive. and so we need to sell things in game to pay those folks. We try to offer a variety of services that appeal to a broad selection of folks. Sometimes we try one thing, sometimes we try another. But it's always a learning experience.

Both Earring Slots and Planewalker: Water went through a number of iterations during development before release, and when Nightmare Tide did release we decided at that time to allow them to be acquired via either a substantial investment of time via Voidstones or with purchase of a Nightmare Tide Collectors Edition. It's been over a year now since that release, and the team has decided to move in a slightly different direction with these unlocks.

With the current system, at level 65 I can probably grind out the cost faster via purchasing a REX for in game currency than I could earn the requisite Voidstones. I've spent money on RIFT so I don't have to worry about the currency cap, and REX prices on NA have dropped a little recently which helps, but ultimately there still exists an avenue where players can turn in game effort into credits to acquire these items.

We are definitely listening, and want your feedback on this decision. As a result of one post for example we'll be allowing gifting on these items so you can gift them to a friend if you so desire. Your feedback is being read by people at every level here at Trion, and is taken into account so please keep it coming. The one thing we ask is that even if you disagree that you avoid personal attacks, otherwise any sort of dialog on this choice breaks down.
    OK, put your money where your mouth is then and revoke this horrible decision.
    Last edited by axeinurspine; 01-26-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McChaffe View Post
    Originally posted by Daglar on May 14, 2013:

"Veteran & New Players – What To Expect
    The way we have always built RIFT is not changing – we will continue to listen to feedback, respond to it, and work on our long-term goals. We remain committed to adding new content, new systems, and pushing the game forward.

Ember Isle Onslaught :You can still expect weekly hot fixes to address bugs and issues; you can still expect major patches and feature releases – the RIFT team works hard and always will. As a subscriber (now officially a “Patron”) you’ll also get bounties of treasure and awesome bonuses to give you the extra edge and convenience you need for all your adventures in Telara!

Patrons receive access to a suite of abilities usable once per day that grant buffs to experience, currency, notoriety, and a number of additional convenience benefits. We are not jacking up the experience curve to make these benefits required – all of these bonuses are completely optional and playing without them you will experience RIFT exactly as it is today. We want to make sure that becoming a Patron is a great value, but it’s not required. If you’re a free player and want the same benefits for a specific duration, you can purchase Patron Passes of varying lengths from the in-game RIFT Store.

After June 12, all players will have total access to the entire world: every dungeon, every raid, every Warfront, and every level. We won’t be locking our content or advancement behind walls – our goal is to break down every barrier. We want more people playing together and more people having fun together. A new free player has restrictions on their starting inventory, character slots, and you won’t have access to the Storm Legion souls, but you really are getting the whole game for free.

So what about veteran players? You’re not losing anything – all of the features you enjoy today are yours forever! While we may offer more storage, more role slots, and more wardrobe slots, we will never be taking away anything you have earned if you have ever subscribed to RIFT. There are a variety of additional benefits to having been a previous subscriber, including a one-time award of Credits & Loyalty (we’ll talk more about this later) once the game has converted to Free to Play.

Maelforge Rawwrrrrr NOM NOM NOMWith this change RIFT will have an expanded in-game store that you can use to purchase a variety of services, mounts, boosts, wardrobe items, and actual equipment. Some items will have a dual currency price – one price in real-money Credits and another price in game currency.

We are not selling power. We are not pay to win. Every piece of stat-granting equipment that you can buy from the store can also be gained through play. Our philosophy is that the very best gear in the game must be earned. You won’t find a max level best-in-slot trinket that can be purchased for Credits."

End Quote.

Original post: http://community.riftgame.com/2013/0...-free-to-play/

This change is in opposition to what Daglar posted. I started playing the game because of this post and even though I didn't fully support Daglar, I wish he was still around.
    Looks like I'll be making a new sig!
    Grl / Grrrl / Grrrrl / Grrrrrl @Deepwood <Hello Kitty> Grrrrl / Grl @Zaviel and probably more...

RETIRED

DST
    Rift Disciple

I disagree with this approach. It has been pointed out that Earrings and Planewalker: Water gear requires a lot of Void Stone to unlock, but to be fair they should. I would prefer grinding content and having it be free (as advertised!) than behind a paywall. Heck, as brutal as it is, I would prefer having them cost another 100,000 Void Stones each, as opposed to being REX/credit-only.
    Last edited by DST; 01-26-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Telaran

Default it is not so bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Adventuring in the Plane of Water is no simple matter; gear to the max if you want to survive. Until January 27th, you can unlock Planewalker: Water and Earring Slots with Voidstones!
    It seems that there are much resistance against this change in this forum. In my opinion it is not a big change. Grinding needed 7000 plat for buying 2 REX is even faster than grinding 100k void stones. Only problem is that f2p players have platinum limit and they cannot buy REXes. So TRION should implement "half REX" giving costing half and giving half amount of credits (Or increase that platinum cap)

And if they want money I am stil wondering why there is no "reset dungeon & raid locks" potion in rift store? I am quite sure that those would sell quite well.

And If TRION want more players to join they should remove those raid locks and replace them with boss locks. Now ppl are too afraid to join "bad" groups since they don't want to get locked out just for one boss. If locs are replacd as boss based. Then groups may accept lower geared players with them, and if it seems that they cannot do dungeon. They can replace better one, but noone is permanently locked and all can continue. This change would be good for newcomers.. so maybe it helps TRION income too.

Telaran

Default fdsfdsfdsfdsf

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    So to have full access to end game, someone somewhere along the line will be required to purchase at least 12250 credits (Planewalker Water: 1500 credits, Earring Slots: 2250 credits, Storm Legion Soul Pack: 3500 credits, Dream Soul Pack: 5000 credits). Even gifting with Patron discount that is a minimum of $60 USD.

You folks should stop being disingenuous and call yourselves Buy to Play at this point.
    Maybe I dont remember all correctly, but for what do you need "planewalker water" in end game? Yes, Earring slot are needed, but soul packs are not necessarily. For example tanking specs don't need those new souls (but for mage ofc). Mage & cleric healing is ok without those new souls. There are quite OK dps specs using only those old souls. Bard is ok support spec equipped with only old souls. So ppl CAN raid without owning new souls.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    ...because grinding out 6k+ platinum to unlock everything is not even remotely realistic for a newcomer.
    But grinding 6k+ platinum is easier than grinding 100k void stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arzka2 View Post
    But grinding 6k+ platinum is easier than grinding 100k void stones.
    Doubtful for someone new to the game. Doing weeklies is honestly easier.
    Everything after Storm Legion was a mistake. (™)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Arzka2 View Post
    It seems that there are much resistance against this change in this forum. In my opinion it is not a big change. Grinding needed 7000 plat for buying 2 REX is even faster than grinding 100k void stones. Only problem is that f2p players have platinum limit and they cannot buy REXes. So TRION should implement "half REX" giving costing half and giving half amount of credits (Or increase that platinum cap)

And if they want money I am stil wondering why there is no "reset dungeon & raid locks" potion in rift store? I am quite sure that those would sell quite well.

And If TRION want more players to join they should remove those raid locks and replace them with boss locks. Now ppl are too afraid to join "bad" groups since they don't want to get locked out just for one boss. If locs are replacd as boss based. Then groups may accept lower geared players with them, and if it seems that they cannot do dungeon. They can replace better one, but noone is permanently locked and all can continue. This change would be good for newcomers.. so maybe it helps TRION income too.
    My guess is that the next thing we will see is that they will raise the limit on plat that f2p people can have, but I'm guessing that will be tied to the player level. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing.. I had no idea REXes were as high as they apparently are in EU. I thought they were getting pretty high on the NA shards. Since Trion can not alter the amount people are asking for REXes, they will have no choice but to raise the limits.

I do know if I were to be a new player and f2p, I can't even imagine trying to earn enough plat for 2 REXes to get the earring slots open.. maybe I'm just really bad at making plat, but to me, that seems pretty daunting to try and do. I would have to just belly up and pay the actual in real life money for the REXes, or better yet, just buy the 20.00 store credit option since you get 750 credits extra for the same price irl money spent for 2 REXes.

My guess is that the next thing we will see is that they will raise the limit on plat that f2p people can have, but I'm guessing that will be tied to the player level. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing.. I had no idea REXes were as high as they apparently are in EU. I thought they were getting pretty high on the NA shards. Since Trion can not alter the amount people are asking for REXes, they will have no choice but to raise the limits.

I do know if I were to be a new player and f2p, I can't even imagine trying to earn enough plat for 2 REXes to get the earring slots open.. maybe I'm just really bad at making plat, but to me, that seems pretty daunting to try and do. I would have to just belly up and pay the actual in real life money for the REXes, or better yet, just buy the 20.00 store credit option since you get 750 credits extra for the same price irl money spent for 2 REXes.
    Actually, it would be really easy to drop the cost of Rex. All Trion would have to do is set a limit on the listing price of Rex on the AH to 2500 and now that becomes the high price. It's a really bad idea and would screw things up quite a bit so I hope they don't do that, but it can be done.

And I agree. As a new player, the thought of having to earn 7kp for that would seem ridiculous, especially since that doesn't include any other expenses. It's not an issue of high individual cost, it's an issue of too many high costs that turn the game into a chore. But Trion knows that players will give up and spend the money and is choosing to exploit that near guarantee to make more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

God, that's true.. Sometimes timing is everything, and whereas I was so excited about seeing the State of the Game letter, I could really care less now. I wonder if the State of the Game letter will address this new change in it? Maybe they will try and soft sell this decision, and make it seem like a great idea. Personally, I don't think there is a way to make their decision about making the earring slots a credit only option into something "wonderful or positive," but I guess we'll have to wait to see the letter to see if they decide to talk about this latest decision as a means to do damage control or not. (I had to find someway to weave the current topic into this post least I get banned for my comments being non productive.. like I was on a different account )
    Here's my thing. If the F2P model really isn't working for Trion, that's okay, but lets come right out and say it and not add paywalls that go against what we've been told repeatedly. Honestly, if it really is the problem then lets open up the discussion on the forums about viable alternative like pay to play. From what I hear, what GW2 is doing is going well.

So, lets go back to the buying expansions framework. No monthly subs required, but patron still exist as it does now. Make all content free up to the most recent expansion (so Chocolate and SL would be free to play and level to 60) and then the PoW and PW:W are unlocked when you buy one of the PoW packs (typhoon, infused, ultimate nightmare). If you wanted to you could create new sets of packs too that tie the dream souls and the primalist unlocks into said packs.

To give you an example of what I'm talking about let's say Jonny Awesome starts right now. He logs in and makes a Rogue with the base 8 souls. Doesn't put a penny down. He gets a set of earrings by level 6 and equips them. Jonny hasn't been punished by not making a decision by level 6 on whether he wants to spend money on the game yet.

Some time passes and he reaches level 60. He now has full access to his 8 trees, he has had the opportunity to play in IAs, instances, zone events, promo events, quest lines, and possibly raids. He has developed a solid opinion by this point if he wants to keep playing and invest money into the game.

Once he reaches level 60 he is greeted by a screen prompt saying something to the effect of "Congratulations on reaching level 60! Continue your adventure by purchasing our Nightmare Tide expansion!" At this point Jonny can choose to continue on in Rift or decide it's not to his tastes and quit. If Jonny does decide to continue he's taken to a screen with a variety of choices for expansion packs. While looking at the packs he sees that he has the ability to not only buy the expansion but to unlock two additional souls for his class, or maybe even access a new calling all together.

At this point Jonny decides that he has enjoyed playing his Rogue and unlocking the healing soul for his calling sounds cool. So Jonny picks the most basic Nightmare Tide pack with the dream souls.

I would much rather outright spend $35+ for a new expansion and it's content to support the staff versus having a bunch of small little $5 - $10 paywalls littered all over the game. I absolutely loathe being nickled and dimed to death by a company. Nothing says pay to win or money grubbing faster than tons of paywalls.

Rift still has the best f2p model even after these changes are implemented.

If it was up to me things would be a lot worse for 'free' players.

For starters the f2p aspect of the game would only go up to level 50.
    They'd have to buy an account-wide package to unlock levels 51-65.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast