+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    That's not it. It wasn't just about the Luck Coins. But rift mobile also allowed communications with guildies and friends. Will there still be that options somehow?

Shadowlander

I could care less about the lucky coins, but I and many of my guildies regularly use the mobile app to talk in guild, about things like being on time/late for raids, telling people my appartment lost power, what we're doing tonight, etc. I can accept that extra resources can't be put into developing the app to do things like add minions to it (which i was looking forward to), but why would you just remove the app completely when there is no alternative to some of its functionality?

Awwww, I'm sad but the tablet is probably happy. I use the app throughout the day/night; basically, many times while I'm awake and possibly sometimes while I'm asleep. My main usage is for artifacts but I also use it to talk with my guildmate if he happens to be on and I'm not (a rare occurrence). Or I use it to talk to myself when I'm on and he's not. ;) I can see getting rid of it, though, with how many times I've seen people having issues with it but I will miss it for sure.
    Nazzir@Faeblight
    <Shadetouched>

The only thing I have a problem with is this:

will disable all functionality associated with this app.
    This is going to nuke the zone event applications that users have made. Is there any plan to just retain those APIs so people can still utilize them in their web apps?

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

You left out the part where Trion did nothing with the mobile app since hell last froze over which created the perfect reason for you to be able to shut it down and say its due to lack of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledge View Post
    I could care less about the lucky coins, but I and many of my guildies regularly use the mobile app to talk in guild, about things like being on time/late for raids, telling people my appartment lost power, what we're doing tonight, etc. I can accept that extra resources can't be put into developing the app to do things like add minions to it (which i was looking forward to), but why would you just remove the app completely when there is no alternative to some of its functionality?
    Ditto: Remove the gaming features and leave us the communication.

Default Sad

Sad Sad Sad Ready Or Not Here Comes The end............

Plane Touched

Same question as Cupcakey: what happens to the fan built apps that rely on the mobile app's API to pull zone event information?

With the introduction of shard hopping, the fan made apps provide functionality missing in the game -- the ability to see events happening on other shards. Changing shards, then opening the world map does not work.

Please don't disable the API. It'll kill event trackers. Also, I'm considering writing a chat client.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 09-24-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Please don't disable the API. It'll kill even trackers. Also, I'm considering writing a chat client.
    I totally support your efforts! Will even crowd fund it! Spend some coins on something practical.

I literally started writing a library to talk to the API today. My eventual dream is to write a bitlbee plugin that uses the library so I can use an IRC client to talk to the guild.
    Work will be halted while the status of the API is in doubt though.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 09-24-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Shadowlander

I use the Rift Mobile App to stay in touch with guildies when I'm not at my computer. The Shinies are nice, but by no means a game-breaker.

Can we keep the communication ability going? That's the big thing I have used it for, to be able to talk to guildies while offline.

There are a lot of my guildies that use the app pretty much every day. It would be great if you kept the API active if you're going to kill the app. There are a bunch of players who will fill in the gap.

Let's be honest, Rift Mobile app is awful. Nothing works as intended, however being able to talk to guild members is incredibly useful especially for raiding guilds. If I'm getting out of work late, I can open the app and let the guild know. I think it is a poor decision to pull the app in it's entirety. Our guild is currently figuring out how we're going to communicate now because not everyone is willing to give out personal information such as phone numbers. Of course you can't please everyone so decisions have to be made, but why make such a drastic decision?

We all want better performance, but it looks bad if you're forced to take away in order to give back. Would have been nice to see a "how often do you use the mobile app?" and "What do you use the mobile app for?" in the survey you sent out. I have no doubt that nearly everyone would say they use it for communication. I would rather have the barely functioning app than no app at all. I understand that a lot of decisions don't need to involve the playerbase, but this is one that I would have liked to be a part of considering how useful it is to myself and many of my guildmates. I seriously hope you'll reconsider.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Our guild is currently figuring out how we're going to communicate now because not everyone is willing to give out personal information such as phone numbers.
    People can make alternative Rift Skype accounts and you can have a group chat created with your members in there. Alternatively, there's various services you can utilize for a forum.

But if numbers are an issue, there's Google Voice for utmost emergencies.

(Not that Rift Mobile for guild chat should be removed but yeah.)
    Last edited by Riane; 09-24-2015 at 06:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast